Guest viewing is limited

THR Balancing Exercise & Hip Health Prior to Revision Surgery

Thorough - I like it! it's been a great welcome here. And yes, I'm having a good day, as you are too, I hope.

Take care

Wyn
 
Thanks Layla - that looks promising. It's a huge thread - I'll bookmark it and delve in and out. And the prospect of bike bling in the second thread! Glad you are having a good day also, and here's the favourite of my bikes:

[Bonesmart.org] Balancing Exercise & Hip Health Prior to Revision Surgery
 
I'm doing well thank you! Keep it just how it is. I agree, tell the story and tell it in full!
 
Update since 4 May 2025 – Hip Revision Journey
Since my last post, it’s been quite an eventful few months. After relying on my own resources for a while, I thought it time to share my experiences here.

Checkup – June 10, RJAH Orthopaedic Hospital, UK
I saw Mr Steele, consultant surgeon at RJAH, a leading Orthopaedic Hospital in the UK, and to my astonishment the X‑rays that day showed a by then healed periprosthetic fracture of my left hip (Gruen Zones 2 and 5). This explained the pain I’d had since January 2025. Unaware of the fracture, I had continued cycling, hiking, and strength training throughout the pain, applying Wolff’s Law to the max — essentially playing with fire! By then, even though the fracture had healed, I was warned of catastrophic hip failure if I didn’t reduce the load on it.

I then adopted what I called my Hip Preserve Protocol, hoping to retain as much of my fitness as possible whilst waiting for the revision surgery, but also hoping to keep the left hip well away from that dreadful sounding “catastrophic failure”:

• Walks limited to 4 miles max on the flat, using Urban Poling Activator 2 poles

• Indoor cycling adapted (step ladder mount, cages instead of cleats, virtual shifting)

• Stairs: good leg up, bad leg down

• Core strength modified (no squats/lunges; planks/press‑ups replaced with knee equivalents)

Surgery – October 22
After a delay for infection checks (hip aspiration thankfully negative), surgery revealed my hip was far worse than expected, my prior fitness having masked how bad it was. The upper femur's bone was described as “like cream cheese.” The old prosthesis came out with hardly a pull.

Of note were:

• Stryker Trident Acetabular Socket fitted - uncemented

• Long stem to bypass the cream cheese bone and fracture sites (likely Stryker Restoration Stem, to be confirmed at my Dec 9 checkup) – uncemented.

• Femur packed with artificial bone crystal

• Cerclages to crimp cream cheese bone and muscle together

• A rather unwelcome intraoperative femur crack

• Surgery lasted 3.5 hours with ~400ml blood loss.

Hospital Stay
I spent 8 nights in hospital (the last 4 due to logistical issues, which turned out to be a blessing). Post‑op oedema (now fully resolved) was spectacular. More challenging was Arthrogenic Muscle Inhibition (AMI) - due to the severity of the surgical trauma, my left quad essentially shut down, leading to total Quad Inhibition (QI). This caused rapid atrophy of the quad (all that training gone!). The QI meant that for the life of me I could not lift my leg even an inch to save my life– quite a surprise!

Recovery Milestones
• Discharged Post Operation Day (POD) 8 (30 October) on 50% partial weight bearing, crutches, 3‑point gait

• First 2 weeks home PODs 8 to 21: glacial progress, only walks of a few hundred yards possible

• POD 22: managed 0.8 miles

• POD 40: 4 mile walks now, alternating “challenge” (4 miles) and “recovery” (1.5–2 miles) days, still with crutches. I am capping my walks at 4 miles until my X-rays next week

• Core strength floor sessions resumed from POD 35: Dead Bug and Single Leg Quad holds especially beneficial for my poor wasted quad

Current Status
• Hip essentially now pain‑free.

• AMI/QI fully resolved

• Incision healed well, all sealed up and ridge free

• Awaiting first checkup Dec 9 with Mr Steele, hoping his prognosis of regaining full athletic fitness still holds true.

There are so many other things I could mention, as brevity is never my strength, but let’s draw a line here - any who have reached the end of this long missive deserves a medal!
 
Oh my….what an unexpected twist to your journey. I am beyond thrilled to read how well you’ve recovered, though. Bravo!!! I’m thankful you posted your story because it makes two very important points for iyour fellow BoneSmarties. One….if you’re experiencing pain for an extended period of time following surgery, get it checked out. And second….the body’s ability to heal itself is huge and it can come back from the worst of situations.

Here’s hoping you’ll get the green light soon to go on with your life and enjoy your new hip.
 
Thank you Jamie! Since I'd had the primary THRs in 2002 and 2003, I'd had zero issues with them. So when I had the lateral left hip pain early this year, I wrote it down to an athletic injury, denial also perhaps playing a part. And yes, I posted my comment hoping it would help others as they face their tribulations. And to hammer home both the importance of being as active as possible leading up to surgery, plus that progress post-revision surgery, for me at least, was glacial in the first three weeks, then sort of became exponential after, and long may it continue, touch wood, rabbit's paw and horseshoe in hand!
 
Thanks so much for sharing your story, @hipcycle. I've updated your signature to include the revision.

Your experience is informative and I am sure it will be helpful to others. I'm glad you are doing well.

Please give us an update after you see your doctor next week.
 
Wow, that’s a lot but happy you’re on road to recovery.
I love walking and after fracturing my hip slipping on ice and having replacement hardest part for me was not getting back to those 3 mile daily walks so I get it. I’m very active and when something takes that away it’s tough to swallow for sure.
 
Absolutely MGHF, exercise is absolutely key for me also, and returning to decent distance walking is a major part of my reclaiming agency. And thank you for your kind sentiments!
 
What an update! You've been through a lot. Sounds like you're doing very well. Such a blessing!
Best Wishes for your appointment on December 9th. I will look forward to your post visit update.
Have a great week!
@hipcycle
 
I had always dreaded the "revision" moment, and to be honest the whole post-op journey to date has been harder than I had ever imagined. But, for whatever reason, I have coped with it much better than I ever imagined I would. Gratitude for small improvements, and indeed a feeling of being blessed when they happened, along with a healthy dollop of faking it to make it, go a heck of a long way. December 9th here we come - thank you Layla!
 
Gratitude for small improvements, and indeed a feeling of being blessed when they happened,
No improvement is too small to celebrate! You have a great attitude, and that will definitely help with your recovery.

Best wishes.
 
Absolutely, plus an acceptance that a certain amount of effort, discipline plus care to keep within any post-op restrictions is key to maximising one's chances of recovery.
 
@hipcycle You've had quite the journey. I'm glad it's turning out so well, despite the not-so-pleasant surprises along the way. You are the perfect example of letting your hip dictate its recovery while heeding your surgeon's advice. I've found that recovery from surgery is rarely what we anticipate but the reality is easier to just get on with it because you then know what your dealing with. Besides, what else are you going to do? Lol. It literally is that old cliché: one step at a time. It also seems to be more tolerable when you have goals and activities to work for. Mine were fishing and camping. I know you can see your goals fast approaching. Best wishes for a good report next week!
 
Agree with all that you say Hip4life. Also, for me, a delicate balance of both having targets to aim for in the future whilst still living within the moment or day itself.
 
I’ll only add here that once we “accept” our new normal for a while and we learn to listen to our bodies at different stages in recovery we can see the improvements no matter how small.
When I could do something without thinking about it and then realize “I couldn’t do that last week” it’s definitely an exciting moment and the stars align and then you know, “I’m going to get better!”
I’m forever grateful to this forum cause without it and all the contributors I would have been lost.
 
Back
Top Bottom