THR Balancing Exercise & Hip Health Prior to Revision Surgery

@Pumpkin

Thank you Pumpkin!
It was a great day, and as I have found with this recovery it is not linear, but is made up of say a week or two of nothing much changing, then a quantum leap or two, often substantial, and then quiet again for a while - long may it continue!

​

 
@Jamie

The way this all worked out really surprised me. I knew that the total unresponsiveness of the abductors in that position was not due to atrophy, so the idea of using a shorter lever to start with ie clamshells (not a part of my historical routine) never initially occurred to me. That the amygdala then found the shorter lever much less threatening, and thus allowed the passing of commands to move the left knee vertically in that position is quite fascinating. The reassuring feedback the amygdala received on that then persuaded it to allow the full leverage leg lift. That is my interpretation anyway, for what it's worth.

Regardless, it was a wonderful feeling to finally, after 82 days, see that whole left leg lifted cleanly into the air, if only by a couple of inches!

Thanks for the encouragement!
 
Great update! I think we all learn new approaches to everyday life after replacement. And fear certainly can slow down our progress.
I love reading about your milestones.
Congrats & continued progress!
 
@myglasshalffull

Yes MGHF, every day is a learning experience on our journeys. Lesson number one for me - never underestimate the control my subconscious has, and what I think of as me, my conscious mind, is often subservient to it.
And thank you!
 
Wonderful news and progress, hipcycle! Thanks for the detailed updates which will be an inspiration to many.
Realizing recovery isn't linear prevents unnecessary worry when you're having a bad day or two.
A lighthearted reminder below :wink:
[Bonesmart.org] Balancing Exercise & Hip Health Prior to Revision Surgery

Happy Tuesday!
@hipcycle
 
@Layla

Ha! That little cartoon is way too true Layla. Thankfully, so far, the little triumphs, like yesterday's, more than make up for it!

Thank you as ever!
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary, hipcycle. Woohoo…three months down and you're doing great!
I hope your weekend is all you want it to be. :thumb:
Take good care!
@hipcycle
 
With some trepidation — particularly after the measured 0.95cm femoral stem subsidence seen on my 9 December 2025 X-rays (Post Op Day/POD 48) — I had my second follow-up checkup yesterday at POD 97 ie nearly 14 weeks post op, re my left hip complex revision.

My surgeon, Mr Steele, was very pleased with yesterday’s X-rays. He surmised there may have been at most a further ~1 mm of subsidence since POD 48, but said his concern about any ongoing or progressive subsidence is now essentially nil, and that the stem has almost certainly reached its final resting position. He reiterated that this was a complex and technically involved revision.

On the basis of the X-ray and clinical progress, Mr Steele removed virtually all restrictions. I am now cleared to discontinue the Nordic Poles, abandon the 90-degree flexion precaution, begin indoor cycling, and reintroduce movements such as side planks and child’s pose. He also advised that I can start to move on to hilly walking, with a gradual and graded progression. My next checkup will be in three months.

Overall, a significant relief, and the feedback received from Mr Steele was beyond my wildest dreams. My focus now is on sensible load management: pacing, preserving rest days, and avoiding the temptation to accelerate too aggressively simply because formal restrictions have been lifted. Going hell for leather is not an option!

The attached X-ray is from yesterday. The right hip prosthesis is functionally fine at the moment, but having been in situ since 2003, and with a simple polyethylene liner, is looking to be revised sooner rather than later, but celebrate the win re the left hip revision first!
[Bonesmart.org] Balancing Exercise & Hip Health Prior to Revision Surgery
 
Well sounds like you are making good head way in your recovery. And you realize even with restrictions lifted you won’t be mountain climbing or biking 30 miles anytime soon.
We have these reality checks along our recovery journey. And we are wise to listen to our bodies and then proceed. The first time I walked 6 miles I was amazed! Of course I break it up over the course of the day. 2/2/2. Back home and do a few chores around the house and then a couple of hours later head back out. Unfortunately we’ve had two weeks of single digits here and almost 19 inches of snow so no outdoor walking right now. But I’m heading to the Virgin Islands in the morning for two weeks where it’s in the 80’s so I’ll be hiking, swimming & walking and maybe the snow will melt while I’m gone! Wishful thinking for sure!
 
Yes, pacing and patience are definitely recovery virtues. I will continue on my mix of challenge and consolidation days. However, the all clear to regain agency over my body was nectar to my ears.
Have a great vacation in the Virgin Islands!
 
Happy Four Month Anniversary, hipcycle!
If we don't hear from you before your next check up, let us know how it goes.
Until then...enjoy!
@hipcycle
 
You're welcome! Thank you, I am doing well and will watch for further updates.
It's almost March already, Spring is on it's way! :flwrysmile:
 
Happy Six Month Anniversary, hipcycle!
I hope you're enjoying the first breaths of Spring and doing well.
Leave us an update one of these days when you have the time. Take care! :)
@hipcycle
 
@Layla

Thank you so much Layla, and yes, POD 182!

Given the complexity of the left hip revision, and the initial challenges, the result in terms of function and utter lack of pain is beyond my wildest dreams, and I am so full of gratitude for all this. I am limp free, I have returned to all my usual coastal hilly 10 mile hikes, and perform Zwift rides of say an hour at personal best levels. Also, all the Core/Pilates stuff I used to do is now part of my thrice weekly schedule again. With all this, the Stryker Restoration Trident prosthesis now feels like a fully integrated part of my body.

However, there is further news. I have a big day with my Surgeon Mr Steele on 27 April, ie next Monday. Firstly, the verdict on the left hip revision at POD 187 — how osseointegration has progressed since the last X-ray at POD 97, ie after 13 weeks. Logically, I know all should be well, but I still have some residual apprehension. Furthermore, to my surprise, given the complexity of the left hip revision, Mr Steele has booked me in to revise the right hip on 13 May, so next Monday is also a pre-op and surgical consent day. Crikey! I am really glad that Mr Steele has stuck to the promise he made last June that my right hip revision would be this coming May, and I feel the left hip is now sufficiently recovered to act as the supporting limb for the right hip post-op.

To be clear, my right hip prosthesis is perfectly functional at the moment, and has been since it was inserted 23 years ago. However, the x-rays paint a different picture compared to that functionality, and the fear of the same thing happening to the right hip as happened to the left, ie periprosthetic fracture, risk of catastrophic failure, intra op crack, 1cm revision stem subsidence etc led me to advocate for a precautionary elective procedure, and Mr Steele agreed.

Finally, yes, I am nervous with all this ahead of me, but looking back at how I felt 3 weeks pre the left hip revision, the nervousness is less pronounced than it was then, purely because by now I have been through a revision already, and roughly know what to expect. Furthermore, I have also learnt a lot in the last 6 months, not least about myself as a person - it has been more than purely a physical recovery. That doesn't mean I am recklessly confident, just that I am better prepared in so many ways than I was last time. And of course, many things could go wrong, but I approach the final three weeks with a sense that I am doing all I can to maximise the chances of another hopefully successful revision, toes crossed.

Finally, finally, all the best to you too!
 
Last edited:
Good stuff! Best of luck with your next surgery. You know your body inside and out and are instinctively aware of the clues it sends to you. So I’m sure this next surgery will go well and already having experience and a great positive outlook will certainly go a long way.
All my best and I will look forward to your update.
 
@myglasshalffull

Many thanks for your kind words MGHF - cautious optimism best sums up how I feel regarding all this, with a containable (I hope!) undercurrent of perhaps understandable heebie-jeebies!

Hope you are doing well also.
 
Hello hipcycle,
I am amazed at how well you're doing post surgery. I am sorry you will soon endure another revision recovery,
but given how well you did with your Left, it's likely you'll do so again. I have faith in your strength and resilience. You've shown how strong and dedicated you are through your first surgery / recovery and I wish you the best possible outcome with your Right THR revision. We're here in support and hope you'll share your journey with us. Good luck on Monday! Best wishes always!
@hipcycle
 
Back
Top Bottom