TKR Back for the LTKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Lauramacky Way to go! It does take a while, and it is always good to notice improvements. We still haven't heard about hubby's outpatient PT I guess I need to call and see if the approval came in! He was already released from home PT so for now he is on his own. He is doing good, so I'm not too worried about the gap between PT's. Happy 2 wk anniversary for your knee! Tomorrow will be hubby's 3 week anniversary. It seems to be going by fast!
 
@tiredwife it's amazing how fast the time flies when you're having fun eh? ;). Glad to hear your hubby is doing well. I found a new physical therapist near me who I'm going to this time to rehab my knee. Of the therapist I used last time but we were living in a different city and it's about 13 miles away from here. I really don't feel like going that far so one-mile away seems a lot more doable. I'm looking forward to life with my new knee!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Question - I'm really having a hard time doing my exercises three times a day. I can only manage twice. I'm hoping this isn't detrimental to my ROM. it may sound odd for me to ask this since I've been through this before, but I thought I'd row it out there. I'm sore today.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Lauramacky Hubby doesn't do his exercises any set way, he just incorporates them into what he is doing. He always wiggles his feet anyway, when elevating he does the pressing down exercise until it gets uncomfortable. When going up the stairs (which he does often) he will stop and do some mini lunges and leg straightening. He moves his leg sideways when he puts his foot on and off the bed. He tries to make sure he is walking properly any time he walks. If he stops in the kitchen he may do some stretching and bending exercises holding onto the counter. He doesn't have a set time or amount of exercises he does. He just does them throughout the day. It hasn't hurt him any! Oh he also hooks the handle of his cane under the arch of the foot and pulls up on it while trying to press the knee down.
His outpatient PT is in the next town over about 11 miles, but we have nothing in our little town.
 
@Lauramacky @tiredwife
Hi Laura & Hi Jackie,

This week both my PT and OS think that I am being 'over-compliant' with my at- home exercises.
I have been faithfully doing the 2 page at-home programme 3 times per day & each session takes me about 45 minutes to complete. Then ice and elevate & rest. Then take my 3 thirty minute walks each day. Again ice,elevate and rest after. So, day fairly full.
I then have 1-1 PT once a week and a group post TKR PT session on Wednesday afternoon.

My PT and the OS at yesterday's appointment, indicated that they always hope people do at least 2 sessions each day, but my 'over compliance' -I'm that type of person and my friends always tease me about being very rule compliant.

So, they both told me over the next few days, two PT sessions along with my walks is plenty.
And as with Steve to incorporate PT exercise into my daily routine would be more than enough.

:swim::upright::walking::treadmill: Less of this

:chillpill: :ice: :chillpill: And more of this.

Cathie
 
Question - I'm really having a hard time doing my exercises three times a day. I can only manage twice. I'm hoping this isn't detrimental to my ROM. it may sound odd for me to ask this since I've been through this before, but I thought I'd row it out there. I'm sore today.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Twice a day is plenty! No, it won't be detrimental to your ROM. You can't improve ROM by working hard at it.

And remember this, from the BS mantras:
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
 
@marmora Yep, you are overdoing it, and overdoing it will set you back! When most of your time awake is taken up by exercise then when is your muscles going to heal? Steve has no set regiment and if he has a bad knee day he does very little but ice and elevate.
 
@tiredwife @Celle @Lauramacky

Yes, pacing myself is the new motto. Had my group PT session for post TKRs this afternoon and the class is so fun & we laugh and support our way through the hour.

So, today that will be my PT and had one 30 minute walk this morning. And for the evening & night, just incorporate exercise into my activities


Currently, :chillpill: & :ice: after coming home from PT.
Made a lasagna in the morning, so dinner ready and just have to add a salad for husband & son when they come home from work.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
@marmora Darn, I was wanting lasagna! Next time I go shopping I need to pick up the ingredients. I make it with spinach. Glad you are cutting back on the exercise!
 
@Jozilla @tiredwife
Hello JoAnne & Jackie,

As they say in Ireland the lasagna & salad ' went down a treat' with two hungry men after work on a cold, damp & rainy Dublin evening. And made enough, so that 'the lads' can also have it for dinner on Thursday night.

I am out tomorrow night at a Golf Society Girls Dinner in one of the local restaurants in The Village - about 35-40 of us, so you'll probably hear the noise & laughter on your side of the Atlantic !

Sitting for any extending time is hard for me still, so plan to only to stay for a maximum of 2 hours - also as unable to have a glass or two of wine, will get husband to collect me about 9:15 pm.

My walk to The Village in the morning is to in luxe a visit to the hairdresser for a haircut, it was end of May when I got it cut last and the longer length is driving me a little crazy.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
@marmora Hope you enjoy your evening out, I will listen for the laughter but this is far for it to reach! Try to elevate if you can!
 
@marmora
Enjoy your evening out with the girls, but be prepared for being sore afterwards. It's a bit ODIC (Over Did It Club) for so soon after surgery, so perhaps you should be prepared to phone your husband if you feel it is too much before the 2 hours are up.

When you get home, you know the drill - rest, ice, elevate and medicate!
 
@Celle
Thank you for the advice and will have the ice and Cryo Cuff ready for when I come home.

Was out for dinner on Tuesday night for about 2 hours with two former work colleagues/ friends and at the 2 hour limit knew it was time to go home.

Will pace myself,

Cathie
 
@Celle thanks for the reminder. I'm taking it easier today and not pushing things. It feels better. I don't know why I have to be reminded of this when I know it and have gone through this already.

I think the meds make me tired and my thinking is kind of fuzzy.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well, I'm finding that the end of the day is rough for me. I'm so sore and the meds are definitely making me depressed and sometimes I can't stop crying. Ugh. I hate being this way. Tomorrow is my post-op and I'm going to ask them about e meds. I'm on Percocet. I need something strong like that thigh because I have a bad case of fibro and I feel pain more than the average person.

Wish me luck tomorrow! At least I'm on a cane and not a walker. :)


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Lauramacky It has to be rough for you! It is bad enough for people without fibromyalgia. Don't know how you stay so upbeat! Hope the Doc can find relief for you! Congrats on the cane, just watch how you walk and try not to limp. Sending a prayer up for you!
 
@tiredwife I definitely have my moments. Methane goodness this one isn't as bad as the last knee replacement! That was a nightmare, this is just a bad dream lol.bit seriously, I'm looking forward to the three month mark. I remember that was my turning point last time.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Lauramacky
Was wondering about "Methane" - but you'd never know what works !:heehee:

Hope that after meeting your doctor today, that a new pain medication plan will be developed to help you get through your recovery.

Having fibro in addition to your post-op recovery makes pain relief that works for you a top priority.
Hopefully, the right combination of pain meds will be found.

Take care,
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom