TKR Back for the LTKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh...I think I overdid it today. Even though I was only up out or bed, think it was enough to make me really tired and my knee is stiff and sore. We had house cleaners here and I was moving around going out on our deck, back and forth down the hall...it was too much. I'm in bed now again with ice and in my CPM. I remember these fun times when I had my RTKR. Time to chill.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Lauramacky So easy to overdo it, you will learn your limits! Elevate, ice as much as you can tomorrow to make up for it. Take care of yourself!
 
@tiredwife thank you :). I'm looking forward to sleep. Tomorrow my PT is supposed to come but I'll let her know of my soreness today. I had forgotten that it doesn't take much, especially since I have fibromyalgia. I need to be extra careful. Sleep well and night!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Lauramacky Don't you just LOVE the over-do days? Even when I try to be mindful, they can sneak in there!! I have to get my classroom set up, but am dreading it because I know it will take some energy and leg power that I just don't have back yet.

So now you get to take a 'knee' day and rest, ice, elevate, and sleep!! :-)


Ollie. LTKR June 10, 2014
 
@Ollie yes! Sheesh! I barely did anything. But when I think about it, I really did. I did my "exercises" 3x yesterday and I was up and down a lot. So it makes sense. It didn't come out of nowhere. I did have a great sleep and now I'm ready for in home PT. I had forgotten how easy it is to overdo things. Today I am going to be careful.

How are you?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
EVENNG UPDATE - GLAD AND SAD - Well, I'm doing my exercises as prescribed. I really love my in home therapist, Claudia. She doesn't believe in overdoing things and gave me hints for modifying some of the exercises but still challenges me a little. I'm not screaming in pain just a little OY! now and again.

I can tell things are improving. I measured 105 bend and unfortunately a 15 again. Straightening is my issue....I'm not worried about the bend at all. Claudia said I shouldn't worry about that either but I always do. Last time straightening took forever. But all I have is time, so I will just have to wait.

The meds have made me kinda sad. I hope that goes away because I really don't want to deal with that. I'm trying to stay positive and am happy I've been improving every day.

Thanks for listening all you bonesmartiee.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Lauramacky I am feeling a bit uncomfortable tonight. School starts in two weeks and I've been up and around a bit too much. Hate to say it. I've weaned off the narcotics so am managing with naproxen, Tylenol, etc. And ice!!

Today is 10 weeks and I was hoping I'd have better stamina, but. . . The knee is in charge!! Easier day tomorrow and afternoon PT. Will rest up over the weekend and be raring to go next week at our professional development days!!




Ollie. LTKR June 10, 2014
 
@Lauramacky The blues are normal as you know. I think a lot of it is from frustration that you think things should be better! It will get better, you are so hard on yourself! With hubby's first knee extension was very slow in coming, he hit a 0 about week 10 right before knee two. Some people it is even slower. Your therapist will come up with something to help. Hang in there!

@Ollie Hope you still ice and elevate when you are in pain.

Both of you have pleasant dreams!
 
@tiredwife thank you for your kindness. I think also the meds make me depressed. I'm highly sensitive to medications so I'm wondering if it's that.

Anyway I'm in bed now and tomorrow is a new day :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Ollie. Awww I hops you feel better soon. You are so right that the knee is in charge. Amazing how such a small thing can have such power! Hope you sleep well...elevate and ice !


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Lauramacky
Good afternoon at 12:30 pm from Dublin. Yes, days can have both glad bits and sad bits.
As I believe this journey for us is a roller coaster and we never know how that ride will be day by day.

About your meds- if they are making you sad, maybe you should have a word with your GP or OS to see if there is an alternative that can still provide pain relief, but not effect your mood.

@Ollie - your at week 10 & I'm at week 5.
Back to school in two weeks can seem daunting, as September is always the busiest of times in the school year (former teacher took early retirement as of 31 August 2013).
Hope that your time table allows some time to rest & elevate in the Staff Room during the day.

@tiredwife Hi Jackie,
Hope that Steve is having a good day, I do admire all those that have their second TKR within a few weeks of the first TKR.
And hope that you are getting some time to yourself, even a few minutes each day that is "Jackie Time"

Take care
Cathie :flwrysmile:
 
Good morning everyone!

I had pulled my back out at some point yesterday trying to wrap my foot in the CPM so last night was a bit rocky as far as sleep. I finally pulled my leg out of the CPM and I did just fine, and I laid on my side! Both sides. Unbelievable! My therapist did say I really didn't need the machine. I have 105 and have had 90 since the hospital. She said it would be more beneficial to do it gently for a few hours a day if I wanted but to do my exercises. I was worried about getting up and having it be really stiff this morning but it wasn't as bad as I thought. Yes uncomfortable but not horrible, so perhaps she was right. I really like this therapist. My last home therapist felt the need to push my leg into a straightened position with force and would not stop talking about technology! lol I mean seriously...he wouldn't leave because he was too busy chatting haha.

@marmora My schedule is to take one-two every four hours. I think I'm going to cut it back to one and see how I do. I really don't think I need two anymore but we will see! If that doesn't work, then I'll give him a ring. Thank you. :)
 
@Lauramacky Sorry your back was hurting you! A lot of doctors (hubby's included) don't do the CPM and in the long run you can't tell who has had it and who hasn't. Hubby's OS's partner uses the CPM, wonder if they are comparing notes to see if it really makes a difference? Hope you are over your blues?!

@marmora I was sleeping really good when my sister decided to text me at 6:30 am! Just got to sleep at around 12:30 pm. Argh......why did I ever teach her to text!? I could have gotten the best sleep I've had in months - oh well, such is life! Last of hubby's steri strips came off today!

Both of you have a great day!
 
@tiredwife. I didn't use it last night and I wasn't less stiff. I'm in it now only because I'm tired after my exercises but my therapist also said it's not a necessary thing to do. I already have 105 bend anyway. I'm not as blue as I was. I definitely think the meds are putting a damper on my perky personality lol. I took only one pain pill earlier and I don't feel anymore pain than I did when I was taking two so that's good.

I hope you have a great day!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Lauramacky Glad you aren't as blue today! Hubby hates the way the Percocet makes him feel so he is stretching them out a little too. He insisted on going out for lunch, luckily it is a fast place (Mexican), so we weren't out long. He is icing and elevating now. His pooled blood is starting to go away, but it will be a slow process. At this point with the first knee he was already walking with a cane. He isn't ready for that yet with this knee. Hope you have a pain free ( or nearly so) day!
 
@tiredwopife Glad to see hubby is out and about. I think next week we will try to go out for dinner...somewhere not slow lol. I think by Monday I may be on a cane. I'm doing really well and yes, reducing those Percosets has to be done. They really depress me. Today I'm feeling better since I only took one this morning. Seriously, this knee replacement is so much easier than the first it's not even funny. I was miserable last time.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom