Bilateral TKR Back for more info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to stop in for an update. My doctor prescribed the JAS System for my right knee. Was really excited to try it. After speaking with JAS (super nice people) it had to be done through Beavans Medical for Aetna Ins. Spoke with the woman at Beavans Medical about the cost. She would not give me any cost information except to say that my insurance would cover it 100%. This was a red flag for me. I tried several times to get her to give me an Appx cost. No go. So finally broke down and ordered it. Just received my EOB from my insurance...$2900.00! I was floored! I was expecting maybe 1500-1600! It has helped some but I would have never ordered that piece of equipment for that amount of money. I deal with our insurance costs at my office. This is why premiums are so high. Has anyone else used this system? Was my insurance over charged? Is this this the going price? Just curious if anyone else has used this system.
 
Haven't used the system but will make one observation about the insurance cost. There is no doubt insurance gets billed at far higher costs than private pay. It is one way to make up for the non pays. Not a great system.
 
If you saw the system, you would be floored! I think the medical company billing was way over the top. Not sure about all the codes and why but when her first comment was that my deductible had been met and the insurance would pay 100% so I didn't have to worry, I should have never ordered it.
 
If the system helps in your recovery, be glad you have it! The flaws in our system won't be cured by one person with a conscience!:chinstroke:
 
Now that I know how much it cost, guess I will try and use it 2-3 times a day as they suggest. It is not really easy for me to use. You have to have 45 min to lay down, put it and and not move! Which for me is really difficult. Now that I can finally move around , laying in bed that still other than going to sleep is tough! Hahaha
 
Please let us know how much it has helped -- change in ROM over what period of time.

We have other members who have tried JAS but I do not recall ever reading that there was a breakthrough as a result. Other members have inquired, and we just don't have any feedback to offer. So you could be a great help here.

Terrible about the cost!!
 
It is really nothing more than a fancy come along. Some plastic with Velcro that straps you in and it puts a stretch on you knee. You really can't move in this thing unless you undo 4 long Velcro straps. It was a little claustrophobic feeling to me. Took a while to get used to it. I was so digusted with the price I don't even use it but the more I think about it, I need to try. I tried bringing it to work but you have to sit on the very edge of the chair, I felt like I was going to fall out! Didn't feel safe. I only feel comfortable using it on the bed. But having a little seizure dog in the house, I don't like to be in a "bind". She is always needing me for something when I am home. But I will just have to do it!
 
I have been reading here for many months and have finally registered because not only do we share the same surgery on the same day but it was also suggested to me to get the JAS system for my right knee and I wanted to share my information with you. My PT did all the measurements necessary and handled the initial call, that company didn't work with my insurance but passed along the info to the company that did. I received a call from them and was told that my cost would be $200. I agreed and within, I think, about 10 days I received another call to set up an appointment at my PT. The representative met me there with the "device" and taught me how to use it - in a chair not lying down. I have been very busy with other responsibilities and have only used it a few times so far but those are now finished so I will start using it more. I am claustrophobic but it didn't bother me that way. I did find it tiring to get it on but once set up I just sat there and read the paper.
I also wanted to comment on the cost. The amount billed to my insurer was $1957.72. They allowed $978.86.
I was billed $195.77, insurance paid balance of allowed. I was happy with that as I pay no premiums but have a higher co-pay which works for me as I am very healthy except for "this little problem of needing both knees replaced".
 
Thank you for replying! So glad that someone is using this thing! I knew they way over charged my insurance company. The rep is 2 hours away. My PT and I read the directions and we sent the rep the measurements. When we received the device, the rep gave me a choice of one time he could do the drive. I had a meeting I had to be in and couldn't make his window of time for that day. The next time he could come was going to be into the next week. I just read directions and figured it out. I just don't feel comfortable in a chair at all. When you sit in a chair, are you sitting on the back plastic part? If I try that, it loosens it. Needless to say, I never met the rep. I was in too big of a hurry to try it.
 
We actually have had some members who used or tried to use this device. Frankly I cannot recall that anyone really benefited that much from it. So, if it does help you, it would be nice to know exactly how you improved.

As for the cost, are you sure that the amount your insurance actually paid was $2900? Many times (and for reasons I've never been able to figure out), your paperwork will show a huge inflated "price" for a procedure or device and the "negotiated" amount that the insurance company pays is actually much, much less. At any rate, you might have been able to get the amount from your insurance company itself. These things do tend to be quite overpriced for what you get....at least that has been my experience.
 
They billed a little over 2900 and the insurance paid about 2880.00. I called JAS and my Aetna and there was nothing that could be done about it. I asked it I could send it back! Everyone said no!

And yes, I understand about the billing. It make isn't so difficult to keep up with all the bills. I try and match my EOB with the bills from everyone to make sure my part is correct. That is a full time job!
 
So the discussion is not about ROM increasing but the cost? Maybe ROM isn't "range of motion" but "raided of money"!

There are strategies to work on both straightening and bending using the same principle (a sustained traction effort). My own doctor shattered his kneecap as a med student and was casted for weeks. When his leg came out it hardly bent at all. He would study his medical texts ensconced in bed with his knee at the bottom edge of the bed and a weight pulling his foot down. In fact, I think @referee54 did something similar to this. The straightening version of this can be found in the library.

Getting ROM certainly is hard and I recall only too well my desperation to improve the situation.
 
What I did to help get some more extension was:

I would lie face down on my bed, and with a hetng pad on the hamstrings, I would hang my leg off of the edge of the bed. I had purchased ankle weights that could allow more weight to be added to them, and I would hang each leg over the bed for 30-40 seconds at a time.

I also did the same thing with my quads---I would use a heating pad and hang the legs over the bed with the ankle weights, and it would stretch out the quad muscles.

If you are having difficulty with your quads or your hamstrings, I would ask you to consider using a heating pad to warm up the muscles, as it allows them to become more flexible.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom