Bilateral TKR Back for more info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Josephine, thanks again for more great info.

Let me see if I can answer your questions

1. I would say right now my pain is probably at a 2 or 3 maybe, its a little pain and some discomfortable aching.

2. I was prescribed hydrocodon 10-325. 1-2 tablets every 4-6 hours as needed. The first 2 weeks, I took 2 every 4 hours because that was what my legs demanded! I am now using one at a time probably every 6 hours as needed. I take two before my PT on Mon,Wed,Fri. I find I am using 1 at night before bed and z1 or two during the day. Just depends.

3./4. After reading this forum/site, I elevate every time I sit/lay down and ice probably every other time if not more. They are on ice now! Trying to lay and elevate twice a day with ice.

5. Pretty good activity but not off our property. The trip to the doctor to get staples out wore me out! I walk in the house, downstairs and outside with my PT or husband. Never go down the stairs by myself. I fix my own plate but don't usually do the cooking. I have cooked two meals but if not, I will make a sandwich.

6. PT gave me lots of different exercises to do thought the day. When walking I try and do marches, I do toe stands maybe 25 reps a day, I do a few leg lifts, I have been sitting in a rocker outside and a porch swing and stretching for 10-20 min a day. I think my problem may be I don't do a specific routine, I have just been incorporating in my day when I am moving around. I hang my legs on the edge of our high bed getting in and out at night.

Thanks for all the info. I appreciate all of it!
 
Wow it sounds like you are doing well! Listen to this forum and you will soar! Everyone here helped me so much! Just read, relax, elevate, ice and you will do great in no time!
 
On the activity, I also make our king size bed every morning since I have been home from the hospital. It seems to be something that I can do every day that is part of my morning routine. Someone will wash my sheets (because the laundry rooms is downstairs) and I always strip the bed and make it. I will sometimes stand at the bed and fold clothes and have cleaned the kitchen a time or two. Hard to remember all my physical activity. I just try to do as much as I can to feel normal. After the first 3-4 days at home, my husband went back to work and my mom went back to her house (400') in front of me. But since then, I pretty much stay here by myself and take care of myself.
 
I would say right now my pain is probably at a 2 or 3 maybe, its a little pain and some uncomfortable aching.
That's not possible at three weeks. I think what you are doing is comparing this pain to the bone-on-bone pain you had pre-op. It's totally different. This pain includes soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness all of which need to be medicated if you're to manage your pain and swelling properly and see improvements in ROM.
I was prescribed hydrocodon 10-325. 1-2 tablets every 4-6 hours as needed. The first 2 weeks, I took 2 every 4 hours because that was what my legs demanded! I am now using one at a time probably every 6 hours as needed.
Read above message again!
After reading this forum/site, I elevate every time I sit/lay down and ice probably every other time if not more.
That's good - you can't elevate and ice enough. Did you read all the articles Jaycey left you?
- when walking I try and do marches
- toe stands maybe 25 reps a day
- a few leg lifts
- been sitting in a rocker outside and a porch swing and stretching for 10-20 min a day.
- NO marching! Worst thing ever!
- toes stands will stress your knee, much better to do stretches instead
- define "a few"! If it's nore than 5, it's too much
- rocker is good but try doing it for 5 mins 2-3 times a day.
I think my problem may be I don't do a specific routine, I have just been incorporating in my day when I am moving around. I hang my legs on the edge of our high bed getting in and out at night.
That's not a problem, that's perfect!
I also make our king size bed every morning and I always strip the bed and make it. I will sometimes stand at the bed and fold clothes and have cleaned the kitchen a time or two. I just try to do as much as I can to feel normal.
All far, far too much. Read the article on Activity progression. This is all going to encourage swelling and stiffness which will interfere with ROM. Also read the article on the swollen leg. It's really just simple hydraulic engineering.
 
If you insist on folding laundry do the easy stuff while sitting down and then have someone else put the stuff away. Making the bed daily is ok, but changing sheets seems to me like something to delegate for now. I was lucky that I had help for these things for the first few weeks--and I took it! :)
 
Lee will wash and dry a load and I fold it while elevating and icing. About the only thing that I can't fold while laying down is sheets.

Remember the mantra:
~ if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it!

:-)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I thought I was doing great but finding out my ROM isn't where it should be.
Who is telling you this? Remember;---we all heal and recover at different rates and on different schedules---and your surgical knees set up the scheudle. I had a BTKR six years ago, and that was somethingthat I had to learn.
My PT was pushing so hard Wednesday, that I got light headed. Mainly on my right knee. I am having PT 3 days a week and am so exhausted when he leaves,
I think PT three times a week is too much---twice a week should suffice, as you are working your knees too hard. This is not a case of "hard work= success" or "no pain, no gain"---but rather, it is all about working smarter and "no pain, more gain"!

Do not let anybody push you or cause you pain---your exercises should only go to the point of discomfort and no further. Once you take care of this, the swelling and the stiffness should subside a little bit and you will see some progress.
 
It is also important to remember---speaking from one BTKR alumnus to another, that recovery is longer and slower than we would like it to be. you cannot rush it or hurry it. It took me five months to lose a slight little limp---it was eight months before I was close to normal. Six months---80%-85%---eight months, 90%-95%.

By folding laundry and making the bed---all these activities seem innocuous---but they add up and do not let your knees get a chance to rest. Add three PT sessions and your exercises, and you are doing too much. Speaking from experience, "less is more" when it comes to keeping the BTKR knees happy.
 
Hi, and welcome to BoneSmart! So sorry I didn't respond to my tag sooner. I've been off the forum for a bit on vacation. But it sounds like you've received plenty of good advice and links to helpful articles from our library. Please contintue to let us know how you're doing!
 
I am getting wonderful information from everyone. It's amazing how nice it is to hear from others who have gone through the same thing. THANK YOU!
 
Hi you all, I am magenta, live in DC and had nearly 3 mo ago my left knee replaced. I did so good that the surgeon nearly called me the poster child for knee replacements, but then in D.C. after the mild weather in the beginning, it became miserably cold, and that's when I started to hurt (5-6) on those snow days and other cold days. I do take ice on my knees (right one hurting too, although no work done) so both of them get the ice and keep them elevated as often as possible. Wanted to know if anyone had better suggestions or recommendations. I need to be fit again my april. I am a city guide, and give city tours, taking 3-4 m/4-5 hours, so I am working toward that. I walk most nights 20-25 min. in my hallway. Do my p.t. exercises, having no problems with that, but during the night, sometimes my one leg doesn't know where to go, and I bend it too much, I think, so that is no good, so then I wake up. Have yet to sleep through the night, so.... makes me feel like an "untrained" baby, sometimes.
Am uncomfortable with the format of this blog, so I hope i didn't write in the wrong area. Am looking forward to hearing from you all, or some of you. Have a nice evening!!! magenta.
 
I believe that PT three times a week is too much. Twice a week will suffice; I had it twice a week after my BTKR---normally M/W or T/Th/

More PT will not get you better results---more PT sessions will not speed up everything and rush your progress.

If chores do not get done around the house, it is not, at this time, it is your job to do them. Talk to your family about the fact that this is your recovery time---this is your "me time."

Remember, your knees have sustained major surgical trauma and it will take quite some time to recover from. you will reach your destination of being fully recovered; you will reach that destination of truly being able to enjoy life; but these are the "Dark ages" of recovery, and you need to let those surgical knees rest and recover. They need to heal, and just to heal from the surgery alone---not to mention the recovery aspecr---takes six weeks.
 
Hello, magenta---would you mind if I move your post to its own thread so that others can respond specifically to you and to your needs and questions?
 
All great advice and much appreciated...and I am now following! I am slowing down my work around the house and stressing less about my office work I have been doing from home too. Didn't mention that because it wasn't a physical activity. Talked to my office and will get it done but will take longer than usual. They are fine with that, I am the one that puts the stress on myself. Just my personality. After reading this forum/site, I am putting myself first, not something I am used to but I feel such a sense of relief now. Also dealing with the pain from pleurisy, an after effect of having the flu 4 weeks before my surgery!

Thanks again for all the great advise.
 
Office work usually involves sitting without a good way to ice and elevate so it does TOO count as physical activity, not to mention it is brain work which adds to the "Energy Drain". And with pleurisy:yikes: you really should rest, too.
 
Jolly good, fricano. That's the way to do it!
 
Hi rficano
I am joining your thread late. All the Bonesmarties have chimed in - they are wonderful. It's good to see you're doing less physical activity. Just because you can do something physically doesn't mean it's something you should be doing. As other Bonesmarties pointed out to me when I had my surgery--you're recovering from major surgery, not undergoing a training regimen. "Pushing" is never a good idea. Some people on the forum get 140 degrees two weeks after surgery; some are at 90 4-5 months out.

As for CPM's, my sister used one with her knee replacement; I did not with my BTKR. Her ROM is 82, mine is 120 on one knee and 118 on the other. ROM (and how quickly it comes) really depends on many factors; I finally stopped obsessing about it about 6 months out from my surgery. I think I have gained a few more degrees than when I was measured last--but all I really need to know is that I can do the activities I like.

I am now 10 months out from my BTKR and am amazed at how much recovery is still happening. As I type this, I have my legs crossed--something I couldn't do three months ago (and that my PT tells me not to do for my back problems!). I suddenly started getting out of the car a little more gracefully. Etc. etc. So do not underestimate TOTAL recovery time.

Take care!
j
 
Ok, y'all have given me wonderful info so far. So here I am again. Bilateral knee replacement Jan 13th. It's been 5 weeks yesterday. ROM is about 90 with PT stretching it. I can get around great with just a cane. But I still get very tired really easy. PT said he is going to have to really stretch it more. It is already pretty painful where he stretches it now! Unless PT is stretching my legs, I don't have much "pain" but it is just a constant ache. Driving me insane and into depression. My pain med is 10-325 Hydrocodon and I have cut it back to about 3-4 a day depending on my activity level. At 5 weeks, should I still be taking pain meds? I always take one at night to sleep but wake up after 4-5 hours with my legs throbbing, mainly my calfs!!! What am I doing wrong? When I sit I have my legs elevated. Tried working at my desk some yesterday for about 3 hours, stretching and walking every 20-30 minutes. But I could feel my knees swelling. It feels like my calfs hurting and knees swelling are my main problems. But I feel the depression coming on with this constant ache and just not sure what I am doing wrong? Sorry if there a bunch of typos, hard to type through tears.
 
I can get around great with just a cane. But I still get very tired really easy. PT said he is going to have to really stretch it more. It is already pretty painful where he stretches it now! Unless PT is stretching my legs, I don't have much "pain" but it is just a constant ache.
Hi, the answer is here in what you have written. Everything is great unless the PT abuses you, so why let him or her do that to you?
Getting tired is absolutely normal, so no worries there.
You take pain meds for as long as you need them, there are no prizes for being brave.
All in all, everything seems normal at this stage, you are only suffering from impatience and letting the PT force your knees where they aren't ready to go. (Personally, I wouldn't let them near me if that's their level of care!)

We had a famous comedian over here (Tommy Cooper) and one of his jokes is very apt:

Patient: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this"
Doctor:" Well don't do it then"
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom