THR AWS Heading to Pain Free Town

Twisting a particular way post my RTHR caused the same twinges. If you can still take a morning walk I would not be too worried. Maybe avoid the outward rotation for now.

Thanks. I figured it was just a bump in the road.

On a good note I did the stairs today in a normal fashion. One foot over the other. I haven't been able to do that in 4 years. I didn't plan to do it that way. I was talking to one of the workers on the phone as I went upstairs to my office. Once I got up there I realized what I did. I had to go back down and up again to see if it was just my imagination.

Well life is much better then it was before the surgery. Even with this foot drop things are so much better. At work Thursday I signed up for a Costco membership. My wife and I had to go to the store to get our ID cards and picture taken. We went there yesterday morning. Spent the day walking around the place, it's a huge place, and enjoyed every bit of it. I haven't been able to go in any store for so long that I didn't realize how much I missed it.

I have an appointment for the EMG June 5TH. That should tell the neurosurgeon what is wrong with the nerve and how to proceed with treatment. I am starting to think the nerve was compressed and not stretched during surgery. I can push in on the right side of my knee and make my foot flutter. It's the weirdest thing. Get intense shooting nerve pain at same time going from knee to foot.

In any case it sure feels good doing normal activities that I couldn't do before. Today it's the graduation party for my daughter. She just got her BA in nursing.

Congrats to you and your daughter! Isn't it great to do normal things again w/o having to make allowances for the hip? You have a great attitude and hope the foot drop gets resolved soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can go to Costco, that sounds like great progress! :) Congrats. Enjoy the graduation.

Emma

Great to hear your update. Congrats to your daughter!! Hope the neurosurgeon gets to the bottom of the nerve problem for you.
Sam x

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

Congrats to your daughter. Love to hear about folks returning to their lives. Can't wait!!!

At least it sounds like you are getting to the bottom of what the actual problem is. Sorry it a literal pain getting there.

Congratulation to your daughter! Enjoy the celebration!

Congratulations to you both! What a lovely day for you all to celebrate! If it's any consolation, nerve damage does get better, albeit very slowly. I broke my ankle and leg about 5 years ago and had no feeling in my foot for absolutely ages. Slowly ( very slowly!) the feeling is coming back.Just don't hold your breath!!!
Hope you go from strength to strength,
Diane

I had the EMG done. The doctor that did it didn't give me much info other then to say he only seen slight regeneration of the nerve and that my doctor would go over results and options with me. I have to get an MRI done and once that is done setup an appointment with the neurosurgeon. Before the EMG the doc has said it could be 18-24 months for recovery.

In any case I am enjoying my new mobility. I no longer use any walking aids. I had been forgetting the cane most of the time anyway so I just decided I didn't need it. I still have that startup pain when I get up from sitting. It is also starting to go away as I don't have it all the time. Only if I over extend the time sitting.

From time to time I have a pinching itchy sensation at the bottom of my scar, but, everything looks good. Doesn't happen often, but, when it does it's a weird feeling. I almost think it's like a phantom pain since I had that same sensation before surgery which was caused by calcification.

Hi AWS
Happy for you
And I wish to you happy life we suffered a lot before op and we deserve some peace
Hope I can treat my nerve pain problems like you

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum

Well I got hit with bad news. I woke up Saturday morning and my calf and ankle were twice normal size. It was also flaming hot and red. My heart dropped as I thought infection. I went to the immediate care. They took blood, prescribed some antibiotics and sent me on my way.

I had an appointment scheduled with my GP a while back for a follow up with him 5 months after the surgery. He asked how I was doing and told him I was doing great other then the foot drop and that I might have an infection. He asked me to see what I was talking about so I showed him my leg. He put pressure behind my knee and asked if it hurt. It did. Extremely bad in fact. He then put some pressure in my thigh and groin. That also hurt. He immediately sent me to the hospital for an ultrasound.

Long story short I have DVT. The clot is in the area from the thigh to mid calf. He put me on Eliquis 2 pills twice a day. Today the redness is gone and swelling is starting to subside. I asked him how this happened this late in the game. I walk more than I have in years. When I'm at work since I am more mobile I don't stay at my desk long. He says sometimes, no matter how active you are, it happens.

Anyone have this happen to them and if so what should I look forward to?

@AWS there is always a danger of clots post joint replacement. We you on blood thinning medication post op? Unfortunately some people are just more prone to DVT.
what should I look forward to?
This too shall pass. After your meds are done I imagine they will monitor you for a bit to ensure the clot is not a danger. There is life after DVT! Worry not! Glad you caught this in time to treat it!

I woke up Saturday morning and my calf and ankle were twice normal size. It was also flaming hot and red. Long story short I have DVT
Which was exactly what popped into my head as I was reading your post!
I asked him how this happened this late in the game. He says sometimes, no matter how active you are, it happens.
This is so true. One thing to remember is that this may be nothing to do with your surgery or at least, only slightly. The other big risk event is long haul flights which is why they see so-called 'flight socks' everywhere! But even apart from that, we are all at risk of DVT all the time. Sadly it's part of the human condition.

The only thing I was on post-op was aspirin twice a day.

The red uglyness is gone now and swelling is almost all the way down. Back of my knee and calf is still very sensitive to touch. I have to put on my pants very slowly so it doesn't hurt.

Have a follow up Tuesday so should have more info and a course of action.

As Jo says, this could have happened to any one of us. Glad you are on the mend!

Best wishes AWS. Glad you have answers.
Try not to get discouraged. This too shall pass.

Had a second ultra-sound done. The doc says the clot is almost gone and is clearing nicely. He is keeping me on Eliquis for 6 months.

I now have pain in both knees when I stand after sitting or when I go up and down stairs. It's not bad pain. More annoying than anything. Still I didn't have any pain like this before the DVT. I have read this muscle pain could be a side effect of taking Eliquis. I asked the doc and he said if it gets worse to let him know. He thinks it's the arthritis flaring up.

In any case I can't get up from a chair without pushing off on something. Can't just stand up like I was. Also can't go up stairs leg over leg although can go down normally. In some way, even though I am doing things I haven't done in years, these set backs take a little something out of me.

It seems muscle weakness especially in the legs and feet is a side effect of your medication. Can you ask your doc to change your prescription. Six months of this sounds like a real challenge!

He asked me if I wanted to be put on Coumadin instead. I declined because from what I understand you have to be monitored closely and first dosage is in the form of a shot. Don't know much about it other then that.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member