THR AWS Heading to Pain Free Town

I understand you have to be monitored closely
That's my understanding as well. Perhaps discuss your pain with your doc. Smaller dose?

Scheduled an appointment with the doc to discuss options. He cut the dosage in half and said he would discontinue use in 3 months instead of 6. The last ultrasound, done a week after the first, showed the clot was 90% gone.

Some of the muscle pain is gone, but not all. I can once again stand from sitting without pushing off. I still can't go upstairs leg over leg.

Well it's a start! It may take awhile to get the meds out of your system. That's great news the clot has decreased. I am sure your mobility will return once you are off these meds. Hang in there!

Just a little update. After 43 years on December 14TH I retired. I had planned to retire in June of next year, but, the company wanted me to downsize my department so I told them I'd retire. I was only staying until next June to fully train my replacement. I gave him a weeks crash course to get him used to the finer details of the job.

Health wise I'm doing great. A little unsteady walking in snow, but, getting used to it a little at a time. Slow and steady is the name of the game. Still fight the battle with PTS from the DVT. As the day goes on I walk slower and slower. My wife is happy about that. She always tells me to slow down. I always walked at a fast pace when I had a good hip. Slowed down as it got bad and now I'm back up to speed.

In any case I'm looking forward to retirement. So far it is an adjustment. After 43 years of waking up at 3:00AM and keeping busy for 14-16 hours I now have to find things to do. In the spring and summer it be much better. I'll spend my time fishing, brewing beer and flying my drones. All hobbies I didn't have time for while working.

Happy retirement...come on spring! Glad you are back up to pace...hope the New Year brings peace and health.

Last edited:
Congrats on your retirement! Good for you.
3:00 am waking, wow.....that is early!
Hopefully you can wean yourself to at least wake with the birds now, instead of way before them :heehee:
Sounds like you have activity in mind already. I'm sure you'll find ways to fill your days.
Warm wishes for a happy fulfilling retirement. @AWS

@AWS Congratulations on your retirement! So glad you don't have hip pain to work around. Enjoy your new found freedom!

It's been a while, but, I was thinking about this community and the people on it that really helped me during my pre-op and post-op time. I decided I would stop in and give a 2 1/2 year update.

Since my retirement I moved to Florida. I always told my family that when I retired I was moving to Florida and as of August 6TH last year I am here. Besides that much has changed in my life. I lost 80 pounds since my hip replacement. I am almost at my goal and should hit it before the end of the year. My foot drop is better, but, not fully working. It doesn't stop me from doing anything. Just enough of the foot came back to life that I don't have to wear the brace any longer. My muscles, which atrophied wearing the brace, are coming back and if I walk or jog to long the muscles start to ache.

Having hip replacement surgery was a life changing event. Before surgery all I looked forward to was finding a comfortable position so the pain was manageable. Now there aren't enough hours in the day to do all the things I want to do.

I would like to thank everyone on this community for the support you gave me before and after surgery. You made things much easier for me. I probably would not have had surgery if not for you.

Welcome back @AWS ! So good to hear from you! Well done on making those healthy changes in your life. I am sure moving to Florida counts there too.

Thanks for stopping by and the great update. Long may your progress continue!

@AWS
Glad you are doing so well, but also, congratulations on your move to Florida!!! I always said I would move to Florida when my husband retired, he feeling the same way. He's ready, I'm too afraid to just up and do it. I so admire those who follow their dreams instead of their fears....happy for you...:SUNsmile:

:wave: @AWS
So good to see you on the forum and that you sound so happy.
Congratulations on your weight loss:wowspring:and losing the foot brace.
Having hip replacement surgery was a life changing event.
I had my hips replaced shortly after you did, and I feel the same way.:yes:

Before surgery all I looked forward to was finding a comfortable position so the pain was manageable.
This pretty much described my life prior to surgery.:sad:

Now there aren't enough hours in the day to do all the things I want to do.
:happydance:Such a great transformation.

Thanks for taking the time to check in and share your good fortune with us!
Happy Retirement!:yes!:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks