Guest viewing is limited

AVN, has anyone had THR as a result of this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Kennyb,

I'm not sure if you're still interested in others with AVN and had a THR, but I'm one of them and mine was from steroid use (prednisone) for lung disease. It took the steroids about a year to destroy my hip, but I'm happy to say I'm on the mend after having my surgery last week. My OS told my only have the 90 degree rule for 3 weeks. I had an Anterior Approach and most of my restrictions are only for a total of 6 weeks. I think the approach has a lot to do with it. I think I will still try to adhere to them for the first year. Just want to be safe.
 
Hi Dobeck
I hope your surgery was a success, and youre well on your way to recovery. I had mine July 31st and am pain free, just a bit stiff in the mornings and when i get up from sitting but a few steps later Im good. My said permanent retrictions restrictions but my GP said at 6 weeks I could start going a bit beyond. Im pretty sure some OS just want us to be careful. I have gone to around 120 and my PT now and I do feel pulling but Im assured its just muscle, I will be very careful as I dont want to dislocate. I did manage to put my socks on yesterday, lol
 
Im pretty sure some OS just want us to be careful.
But for whose sake - their own! It's their "get out of jail free" card (if you've ever played Monopoly!) and means that whatever happens they can always say "I told you not to do that" and thereby avoid the risk of being sued!
 
Hi Kennyb,

Sounds like you're on your way to total recovery. I think my surgery went well. I also have the morning stiffness. Do you have any suggestions what works for you? I do my exercises before getting out of bed, but it doesn't keep me from being stiff. I'm trying my best with the precautions, but I know I've probably gone beyond the 90 degrees or at least close to it. I'm extra cautious not to cross my legs or twist. That really sounds like it would be painful.
 
Hi Dobeck
I as well do excercises in bed, the clam shell and lifting my leg while lying on my side, I then get up and do stretches with a rubber band that i have tied around a table leg. I stlill am stiff after all the stretching, I believe the stiffness is still the muscles growing, and healing. One thing I am trying is stopping the stretching altogether for a few days to see if the stiffness goes away, I am stiff when I get up in the am, Im stiff when I get out of a chair, but I keep telling myself that it is normal and the stiffness will go away. I have gone past 90 as well, my PT has got me to 120 and it started hurting a bit then. I just want to put my damn socks on...lol. we will get there
 
Interesting, and here I thought I was just stiff from exercise. I haven't had what I would call normal pain for quite soe time but if you say stiffness is a form of pain then I will certainly start taking Tylenol and ibuprofen. I do have T3s but probably overkill. I really only feel stiff for a few steps, once I'm in gear I'm pain/ stiffness free. Love the advise, I learn something new on here everyday
 
People often do mistake it. They tend to compare their perception of pain with their pre-op experience. Ergo, if that's gone they have no pain. But it ain't necessarily so! :wink:
 
Great information. I do notice if I let the pain meds go over the time limit, my pain increases. When I get up in the morning I'm really stiff and once the pain meds kick in it does get better. I think the exercises do help to keep me feeling a little more limber. Thanks Josephine for the timely information.

I can't wait to be able to put on shoes and socks without aid too. My sock aid helps a lot, but it's uncomfortable for my feet and ankles to use. My feet are really wide. I'm a 4E!
 
i am now taking Aleve and tylenol arthritis twice a day, the Aleve is 220mg and says not to take more then 2 per day the Tylenol arthritis is 650mg and 4 per day, so far I have noticed a bit of a difference, on a good note i did manage to put my socks on this am, the simple and small pleasures in life!!
 
Good for you on getting your socks on. It's funny, but when you can't do it it is a small pleasure. Not sure where I will be in a week with the pain meds. I'm going to try to go back to work the week after next and I will be out of the Oxycodone in a couple days. I will have to rely on the Tylenol and Tramadol. My OS said I can't take any additional NSAIDs for 4 more weeks. I have to take 2 aspirin's a day to keep my blood thin. I have Aleve so, I might try it if I need it after my restrictions on NSAIDs are up. I'm a big fan of Ibuprofen liquid gels as they work wonders for pain. Even though, they didn't do much for my hip prior to surgery.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom