Guest viewing is limited

THR AussieMike returns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Jaycey,

Thanks for your advise. Are you saying don't take paracetamol on an empty stomach or Voltarin? Is Voltarin the same as Nurofen?
 
Don't take Voltarin on an empty stomach. In fact don't take any NSAIDs on an empty stomach. They can cause stomach problems. I can't take Ibuprofen (Nurofen) for that reason, yet Voltarin doesn't bother me at all. Both Voltarin and Nurofen are anti inflammatories. Use what works best for you.
 
Mike I saw that you were on line a minute ago, so I thought I would come over and say HI. Glad you are doing so well. I hope you are having a good day. Tashia
 
Hi Mike,

I have osteoarthritis and my goal is to only take antinflammatory and Tylenol. I have weaned off my oxycodone to two twice a day. ( 5 mg). In the morning I get up, have a cup of coffee and my Mobic. I kick back with a heating pad and find that I don't need the oxycodone until I am ready to do my PT exercises or "make rounds" at work. I am just a little over 5 weeks out. Sometimes you need to take them with an acid inhibitor like Pepcid so your stomach doesn't get upset ( or bleed). Always take with food. Never combine different types. Yes, these medications can cause problems with your kidneys. However, I have a hard time moving without them. I had to go off my Mobic ( cheap) before surgery and noticed a huge difference in mobility after three days.

Your day with your lady sounds wonderful! My husband and I are planning a big day on Thursday when I need to go out of town to see my OS for six week check up. We want to see James Bond in IMAX.

Cheers!
 
Don't take Voltarin on an empty stomach. In fact don't take any NSAIDs on an empty stomach. They can cause stomach problems. I can't take Ibuprofen (Nurofen) for that reason, yet Voltarin doesn't bother me at all. Both Voltarin and Nurofen are anti inflammatories. Use what works best for you.

Hi Jaycey

Seems like you and I have a similar tolerance. I find that Ibuprofen gives me an upset stomach for hours whilst Voltarin is wonderful. Seems at this stage I don't have much pain as such just some inflammation from using muscles and joints in a manner they have not been used to for some time. So at this stage I will try just using Voltarin and see if that works. So glad to say goodbye to Targin and Endone.

Thanks as always you are an Angel.

Mike
 
Mike I saw that you were on line a minute ago, so I thought I would come over and say HI. Glad you are doing so well. I hope you are having a good day. Tashia

Hi Tashia

You are a sweetie!! It was great to have a full rich day. I see that you are getting to that stage too. I am excited for you but I am also dying to see pics of your quilts.

Take care

Mike
 
Hi Mike,

I have osteoarthritis and my goal is to only take antinflammatory and Tylenol. I have weaned off my oxycodone to two twice a day. ( 5 mg). In the morning I get up, have a cup of coffee and my Mobic. I kick back with a heating pad and find that I don't need the oxycodone until I am ready to do my PT exercises or "make rounds" at work. I am just a little over 5 weeks out. Sometimes you need to take them with an acid inhibitor like Pepcid so your stomach doesn't get upset ( or bleed). Always take with food. Never combine different types. Yes, these medications can cause problems with your kidneys. However, I have a hard time moving without them. I had to go off my Mobic ( cheap) before surgery and noticed a huge difference in mobility after three days.

Your day with your lady sounds wonderful! My husband and I are planning a big day on Thursday when I need to go out of town to see my OS for six week check up. We want to see James Bond in IMAX.

Cheers!

Hi Catherine

Thanks for sharing your experience and routine. It sounds like it is working well for you. As you might read elsewhere in my thread, I am now trying to use just an anti-inflammatory (Voltarin) as I have little pain at this stage but do have inflammation.
Our day out was wonderful yesterday and we are so looking forward to our "Sneaky Little Cruise" on Thursday for 3 days and 2 nights. Funny that you mention the James Bond at the IMAX as were walked past that yesterday and noticed they were selling advanced tickets.

Enjoy your big day on Thursday and we will give you a big wave from the top deck of our cruise ship!!

Mike
 
Enjoy the short cruise Mike :)

Hope you had a good day at work?
 
NEWS FLASH NEWS FLASH NEWS FLASH NEWS FLASH NEWS FLASH NEWS FLASH NEWS FLASH ​
​
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA: ​
​
In the seventh week since of his THR surgery, Aussie Mike made a triumphant return to his Fitness First Gymnasium in the suburb of Mosman tonight. After last week, gaining approval from his operating surgeon, Aussie Mike completed a limited gymnasium session of some 45 mins. ​
​
Not wishing to cause alarm for my Bonesmart Angels, I quickly point out that none of the activities involved heavy weight bearing on the legs. The session consisted of the following:​
​
Warm Up: (10 mins)​
​
Stretching for upper and lower back, hip flexors, hamstrings, chest, back and shoulders​
​
Aerobic Activity: (5 mins)​
​
Cross Trainer machine on level 1 @ 125 rpm (pulse around 145).​
​
Resistance training (25 mins)​
​
Universal machines for Chest, Shoulders, Back, Thighs, Hamstrings, Abductors, Adductors and Glutes.​
​
All machines were used for 4 sets of 15 reps using very light weights with an emphasis on correct form or technigue.​
​
Aerobic Activity: (5 mins)​
​
Stationery Cycle machine on level 1 @ 35 kph (pulse around 135)​
​
Conclusion:​
​
A good introductory session that was more a rehearsal than a workout. But it gave me confidence and relaxed many of the upper body muscles which have been starved of exercise for so long. ​
​
​
 
He
Enjoy the short cruise Mike :)

Hope you had a good day at work?


Hi Poppet

It was one of those days in IT when you wished you worked in Finance!! You know the stuff that makes you love IT.

We are so looking forward to our little escape cruise on Thursday.

How is that workload of yours and your back holding up?
 
Hi Mike

My day was pretty much the same... long 13 hour day today.. So brain dead now!

Sleep well.

Hugs.
 
Great Mike, I hope I feel that great when I return to the gym. Its been so long i don't know if I remember what I did. I hope to return to the gym when my hip calm down a little. Have a blast on the cruise. take pictures of the cruise. Take care and have fun. Tashia
 
Just a postscript after my first gym visit last evening.

The human body is amazing. It never forgets what it has done before. Today I have rediscovered my hamstring from my operated leg. Its alive and thanking me for the little bit of exercise it got last night. Now more than ever I understand that the process is about achieving muscle balance between opposing muscle groups in both legs. I can feel the benefit of the stretching that the gym session did. I can also feel where muscles are pulling trying to work in a more normal manner.

The nice thing about all this is it isn't painful. It just requires me to consistently challenge the shortened muscles, ligaments and tendons to work in the same plane as my other leg. To this point, it has been about incision and pain management . From this time onwards the real rehab is happening.
 
Absolutely, onwards and upwards with recovery and rehab.. Great post about your gym session :)
 
Another busy day in the office. My need for pain medication continues to decrease. The NSAID called Voltarin works particularly well for me. Thanks again to Jaycey for her advise on this.

Tomorrow is the start on my short cruise and I suppose its a sign of progress that in the rush of the day I accidentially left my walking stick in my office where it has been for the past two days. Guess I just don't need it anymore...
 
That is exactly what happens for most of us Mike.. We don't need them, when we forget we have left them somewhere.

Enjoy the cruise, I am envious!
 
Woohoo! Another milestone, corner turned, healing moment. Losing the walking stick is a biggie. Good for you and enjoy that cruise!
 
Mike, Thats so great to not need your stick. I would however take it on the cruise. I found I didn't need the stick for walking but I did need it for standing in long lines. Just a subjection. Have a good time on the cruise. I like the short one it just right for breaking whats going on. Take care . Tashia
 
Thanks everyone for your encouragement and good wishes for the cruise. Sorry Tashia, that walking stick is in the office and I am not going back there to get it. But on the positive side, there won't be long lines for me - I am a diamond member of the cruise line and get past all that stuff.
 
Now I really am envious... Diamond member no less !

Have fun :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom