Guest viewing is limited

THR AussieMike returns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today seems to be a bit of a landmark for me with my medications.

As per normal I took a 5mg Targin tablet at 6am this morning. This medication provides 12 hours of slow release pain relief. Then at 10am and again at 2pm I took two Panadol tablets which was before and after a 2.34 km / 1.45 mile walk. That's it! No Endone tablet as the pain levels returned - as I have not had any pain. I did not take the Targin tablet at 6pm as I wanted to see when the pain did return. Finally the pain started to return around 10pm and I took a 5mg Targin tablet at this time. It would be very cool if I could survive on Targin and Panadol from this point onwards.

I would be interested to hear input on my strategy from those on the forum who are medically qualified.
 
Hiya

The physio said to just get the hip moving and increasing time on the bike rather than increasing speed or resistance. I am currently sat on my bike now doing my 20 minutes, joys of smart phones! I don't want to over do it so once 20 minutes is feeling quite easy I'll increase my time again.

Steph

Thanks Stephie for sharing your physio's advise.

Very useful for me as I am the type of person who would try to increase speed before increasing duration. So now I will follow this advise. I will be able to cycle from Saturday onwards which is when I return to my own apartment. I will check back with you in a week and see how you are progressing.

Cheers

Mike
 
CURRENT DATE: Thursday 18th October 2012
Procedure: LTHR - 24th September 2012
Post Op: 24 days
Location: My lady's home
Entry Weight: 78kg / 172lb
Current Weight: 74.5kg / 164Ib
Target Weight: 70kg / 154bIb

CURRENT ISSUES:
Muscle imbalances in left leg

OPERATING HOSPITAL ACHIEVEMENTS (5 days):
1. Got out of bed independently
2. Stood in place with walking frame
3. Walked 6 meters to bathroom
4. Used bathroom independently
5. Took shower seated with assistance
6. Dressed with assistance
7. Walked 30 meters with a walking frame
8. Walked 10 meters with 2 crutches
9. Walked up and down 1 step repeatedly
10. Showered standing independently
11. Dressed independently (except TED socks)
12. Walked 100 meters with 2 crutches
13. Walked up and down the 6 step mini-stairs
14. Supporting my roomie and new friend David on his journey

REHABILITATION HOSPITAL ACHIEVEMENTS (14 days):
15. Walked down and up 2 flights of stairs (total 60 stairs)
16. Hip Flexion 90 degrees
17. Hip Abduction 30 degrees
18. Making people happy and positive
19. Walking with two walking sticks
20. Walking with one walking stick
21. Commenced hydrotherapy program
22. 30 seconds of continuous kicking against the Hydrojets
23. 60 second Plank
24. Breaststroke / Backstroke in the pool
25. Slept through the night without pain relief
26. Walking leg over leg down stairs
27. Walking leg over leg up stairs
28. 6 x 60 secs Planks with 30 secs rest between reps
29. Walking leg over leg up 10 flights of stairs
30. Lost 2.5kg / 5.5lb in bodyweight in rehab - none of it muscle

POST HOSPITAL ACHIEVEMENTS:
31. Completed 800 meters / 875 yards footpath (pavement) walk in 7.5 mins
32. Completed 800 meters / 875 yards footpath (pavement) walk in 6 mins
33. Completed 910 meters / 995 yard walk around local park.
34. Completed 1,350 meters /1,476 yard walk around local park.
35. Lost a total of 3.5kg / 7.7lb in bodyweight since my THR.
36. Completed 2.34 km / 1.45 mile walk around local park.

CURRENT PAIN MANAGEMENT:
5mg Targin every 12 hours
5 mg Endone as required (max 2 per day)
2 Panadol every 12 hours
Aspirin 150mg per day
Ice packs as required

TODAY'S FOOD PLAN:
Breakfast
Sultana bran, skim milk, boiled egg (1), wholemeal toast (1), lemon & ginger tea.
Lunch
Vegetarian pizza, sparkling mineral water.
Dinner
Toasted sandwich, low calorie jelly, black tea.


TODAY'S FOCUS:
1. Testimonial lunch
2. Supermarket shopping
3. Hydrotherapy session @ 7pm

NOTES:

04.15 A really restless night with only a few hours sleep to this point. Not really in much pain just hard to get to sleep. I am feeling a little muscle stiffness in the calf and shin area which points at the walking I have been able to do. Its the kind of stiffness you are pleased to have.

07.42 I was able to sneak a couple of hours sleep between 5am and 7am but I am starting my Big Day Out feeling a wee bit tired.

15.42 Back home again after my big day out. Feeling sore and tired. How can standing make you feel so tired? Took 5mg Endone and relaxing now.

21.04 The Big Day Out let to the Big Sleep. Rested for about three and a half hours and awoke for a late dinner. It was nice to see all my work colleagues today. They were pretty impressed with my recovery, my general appearance, posture and mobility. I left the walking stick in the corner of the room and circulated for a good two hours. Upon reflection, I should have sat down at some stage and let people wander over to me.
 
A whole 5 days in hospital? You lucky so-and-so's! When I get my second knee done, I've been told I get booted out on day two! :shocked:
 
Well Jo they probably think you know way too much!! And they would indeed be correct. You are living proof of that old saying - "They don't make 'em like they used to." (sadly).
 
Hi Mike, good luck with all the activity today. Rest when you can!

Regarding your meds - what you are describing is normal. You suddenly forget to take a dose and don't notice it until later in the day. Then staying ahead of the pain becomes less urgent. Give the reduction a try - but do realize you are talking about more and more activity. Don't be discouraged if you need your meds. It's still early days and you are moving around more.
 
Thanks Jaycey, I keep forgetting that I am so much more active. Because the better I feel the more active and need pills to stop the pain. I speaking for myself, I don't like taking them but I know they differently have a place in hip and knee total replacements. Tashia
 
Hi Mike, good luck with all the activity today. Rest when you can!

Regarding your meds - what you are describing is normal. You suddenly forget to take a dose and don't notice it until later in the day. Then staying ahead of the pain becomes less urgent. Give the reduction a try - but do realize you are talking about more and more activity. Don't be discouraged if you need your meds. It's still early days and you are moving around more.

G'day Jaycey,

That makes perfect sense to me. When I was discharged from the rehab hospital and I was given prescriptions that allowed for one week of Targin at 2 tablets per day and then two weeks of Targin at 1 tablet per day. Similarly the prescription for Endone provided 20 tablets with the expectation that it would last me about 3 weeks. At this stage, it appears that I should be off these two tablets in the expected time frame.

Thanks for being there,

Mike
 
G'day Diane,

I am thrilled to know that you find my little daily journal useful. I see that you are scheduled for the same operation in January of next year. If you are like I was, the last few months before surgery was the hardest time of all. I was struggling with day to day living. The little things like getting dressed, climbing stairs and getting in and out of my car were pretty hard. But most of all, the time before surgery robbed me of energy and joy in my life.

By contrast, just a few weeks after surgery, I spent a few hours with my work colleagues in a social situation today. One of them asked me, "So how is the pain Mike, compared with before the operation?" I thought for a minute and I said, "To be honest James, despite the incision on my hip, I feel as well as I felt ten years ago." I wasn't exaggerating.

So Diane you are in for a bright future once the surgery is behind you. I do recommend you consider keeping a journal like I did. Whilst its nice to think it helps others, it also has great benefits for the writer to record their daily progress.

Good luck to you,

Mike
 
Thanks Mike. I'll keep writing the journal in mind. I'm extremely thankful that I'm NOT in terrible pain. As I sit here, I'm not in pain at all, but it's the ridiculous amount of range of motion that I've lost. My walking stride is considerly less than it was, but I always assumed it was from my bad back. I had no idea that most likely my "back pain" was really hip pain. It's crazy. This time last year, I would have NEVER thought I had OA in my hips. It's truly insane. However, I've been working out and strengthening myself for surgery, hoping it will help my recovery.
Diane
 
G'day Diane

Many of the people I have met on this journey have said how quickly things changed in the last 6-12 months before they needed the operation. That was my experience too. Three months before surgery I was traveling internationally and by the time of my admission I couldn't walk 50 metres / 54 yards. Like you I continued to exercise up until the operation. Fortunately I was still capable of using a stationery bike and this strength work was well rewarded in recovery.

So continue to do things that don't cause you pain and your big day will be here before you know it. You will be amazed when your walking stride is returned to you.

Take care

Mike
 
CURRENT DATE: Friday 19th October 2012
Procedure: LTHR - 24th September 2012
Post Op: 25 days
Location: My lady's home
Entry Weight: 78kg / 172lb
Current Weight: 74.5kg / 164Ib
Target Weight: 70kg / 154bIb

CURRENT ISSUES:
Muscle imbalances in left leg

OPERATING HOSPITAL ACHIEVEMENTS (5 days):
1. Got out of bed independently
2. Stood in place with walking frame
3. Walked 6 meters to bathroom
4. Used bathroom independently
5. Took shower seated with assistance
6. Dressed with assistance
7. Walked 30 meters with a walking frame
8. Walked 10 meters with 2 crutches
9. Walked up and down 1 step repeatedly
10. Showered standing independently
11. Dressed independently (except TED socks)
12. Walked 100 meters with 2 crutches
13. Walked up and down the 6 step mini-stairs
14. Supporting my roomie and new friend David on his journey

REHABILITATION HOSPITAL ACHIEVEMENTS (14 days):
15. Walked down and up 2 flights of stairs (total 60 stairs)
16. Hip Flexion 90 degrees
17. Hip Abduction 30 degrees
18. Making people happy and positive
19. Walking with two walking sticks
20. Walking with one walking stick
21. Commenced hydrotherapy program
22. 30 seconds of continuous kicking against the Hydrojets
23. 60 second Plank
24. Breaststroke / Backstroke in the pool
25. Slept through the night without pain relief
26. Walking leg over leg down stairs
27. Walking leg over leg up stairs
28. 6 x 60 secs Planks with 30 secs rest between reps
29. Walking leg over leg up 10 flights of stairs
30. Lost 2.5kg / 5.5lb in bodyweight in rehab - none of it muscle

POST HOSPITAL ACHIEVEMENTS:
31. Completed 800 meters / 875 yards footpath (pavement) walk in 7.5 mins
32. Completed 800 meters / 875 yards footpath (pavement) walk in 6 mins
33. Completed 910 meters / 995 yard walk around local park.
34. Completed 1,350 meters /1,476 yard walk around local park.
35. Lost a total of 3.5kg / 7.7lb in bodyweight since my THR.
36. Completed 2.34 km / 1.45 mile walk around local park.

CURRENT PAIN MANAGEMENT:
5mg Targin every 12 hours
5 mg Endone as required (max 2 per day)
2 Panadol every 12 hours
Aspirin 150mg per day
Ice packs as required

TODAY'S FOOD PLAN:
Breakfast
Sultana bran, skim milk, black tea.
Lunch
Tuna, salmon & avocado sushi, soda water.
Dinner
Chicken thighs, salad

TODAY'S FOCUS:
1. Walking at local oval including intervals without walking stick.
2. Swiss ball stretching routine


NOTES:

08.30 I slept in! Isn't the human body amazing. It knows when the most important thing you need is rest and if you don't set an alarm clock it just takes the time to rest and repair. I woke a little stiff and sore from my Big Day Out yesterday which clearly says I was a little ambitious.

To my way of thinking, yesterday was a learning experience. It taught me how much was too much at this stage of my recovery.

11.39 Spent the morning paying the invoices from my surgery and getting my finances in order after a few weeks away from the realities of life. My mind is starting to focus on returning home to my apartment tomorrow and my return to work next week.

19.10 I have had a very flat day with low energy levels. I have not even been for a walk as yet. It's okay I am just listening to my body and it just wanted to rest. I expect tomorrow my energy levels will be back to normal as I finally head back to my own apartment for the first time in almost a month.

I am returning home tomorrow, confident that I will cope well. I have so many people to thank for getting me to this physical and mental state. Prominent on that list are the angels of BoneSmartâ„¢ who have been my constant knowledge bank and emotional support. I am very grateful to you all.
 
CURRENT DATE: Saturday 20th October 2012
Procedure: LTHR - 24th September 2012
Post Op: 26 days
Location: My lady's home / My apartment
Entry Weight: 78kg / 172lb
Current Weight: 74.5kg / 164Ib
Target Weight: 70kg / 154bIb

CURRENT ISSUES:
Muscle imbalances in left leg

OPERATING HOSPITAL ACHIEVEMENTS (5 days):
1. Got out of bed independently
2. Stood in place with walking frame
3. Walked 6 meters to bathroom
4. Used bathroom independently
5. Took shower seated with assistance
6. Dressed with assistance
7. Walked 30 meters with a walking frame
8. Walked 10 meters with 2 crutches
9. Walked up and down 1 step repeatedly
10. Showered standing independently
11. Dressed independently (except TED socks)
12. Walked 100 meters with 2 crutches
13. Walked up and down the 6 step mini-stairs
14. Supporting my roomie and new friend David on his journey

REHABILITATION HOSPITAL ACHIEVEMENTS (14 days):
15. Walked down and up 2 flights of stairs (total 60 stairs)
16. Hip Flexion 90 degrees
17. Hip Abduction 30 degrees
18. Making people happy and positive
19. Walking with two walking sticks
20. Walking with one walking stick
21. Commenced hydrotherapy program
22. 30 seconds of continuous kicking against the Hydrojets
23. 60 second Plank
24. Breaststroke / Backstroke in the pool
25. Slept through the night without pain relief
26. Walking leg over leg down stairs
27. Walking leg over leg up stairs
28. 6 x 60 secs Planks with 30 secs rest between reps
29. Walking leg over leg up 10 flights of stairs
30. Lost 2.5kg / 5.5lb in bodyweight in rehab - none of it muscle

POST HOSPITAL ACHIEVEMENTS:
31. Completed 800 meters / 875 yards footpath (pavement) walk in 7.5 mins
32. Completed 800 meters / 875 yards footpath (pavement) walk in 6 mins
33. Completed 910 meters / 995 yard walk around local park.
34. Completed 1,350 meters /1,476 yard walk around local park.
35. Lost a total of 3.5kg / 7.7lb in bodyweight since my THR.
36. Completed 2.34 km / 1.45 mile walk around local park.

CURRENT PAIN MANAGEMENT:
5mg Targin every 12 hours
5 mg Endone as required (max 2 per day)
2 Panadol every 12 hours
Aspirin 150mg per day
Ice packs as required

TODAY'S FOOD PLAN:
Breakfast
Sultana bran, skim milk, wholemeal toast (2), black tea.
Lunch
Chicken thighs, salad, fruit yoghurt.
Dinner
Cheese and tomato toasted sandwiches.

TODAY'S FOCUS:
1. Walking at local area
2. Exercise bike

NOTES:

04.08 Not a bad night's sleep. I woke at 2am and 4am. This time with pain in the lower leg. I took 5mg Endone and made my way to my recliner chair as I was keeping my lady awake as well.

08.06 Three more hours sleep in the early hours and I have awoken to a beautiful sunny Sydney day. My lady is tired and deserves an extra sleep.

10.26 A leisurely Saturday morning as we start to prepare for me to head home.
 
Hi Mike!

Well, I do hope you continue to write after you go back to work as reading your experiences is a great help. I, too, start work next week on an as tolerated basis. I am walking 1.25 miles with crutches and have discovered " shopping car PT" which simply involves trying to walk normally without a limp as I push the cart around the store. I have been able to cut my pain pills back a little and certainly don't take them if I am not feeling pain. Good luck with your transitions this week both at home and work.
 
Hi Catherine,

Thanks for your kind words.

I intend to keep my daily journal on Bonesmart until I am six weeks post op. At that point I have an appointment with my OS (November 7th) and I am hoping that I am off the narcotic pain killers and have no restrictions on my lifestyle. If the issues continue beyod that point, then I will continue the journal. Ultimately I want the journal to be a complete record of my journey from operation to recovery.

I do like your thinking with "shopping car PT". It does help to set goals like that one. To anyone not going through this journey it would probably seem crazy but it is a way to mark our progress and to maintain a sense of achievement. Good luck with your return to work - I will be interested to hear how you go and what you find most challenging.

Be kind to yourself,

Mike
 
How goes it at home Mike?

I would imagine it is nice to be back home..

How are the internal stairs?
 
Hi Mike, just wondering how you are getting on being home and did you cope with the stairs ok?
Lesley:)
 
Aussie Mike is home at last...

We packed up all my vital assets like my array of drugs, my cushion that turns any chair into a 90 degree compliant seat, my foam noodle for rehab in the pool, etc, etc.

We visited the supermarket for some supplies and drove across town to my apartment. My angel carried all my belongings up the 32 stairs from the carpark to my apartment. We slowly unpacked and had a simple meal and relaxed. I am settled back in and comfortable here.

Tomorrow I will start my rehab activities at home...
 
Hi Mike, bet it's great to be back in your own place. Did I read right - you are going back to work already? As your big day out showed you - stamina is a major roadblock in this recovery. Are you at least limiting work to part time? Sorry if I sound like a nag - just don't want you to set yourself back after all this great recovery work you have done!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom