Guest viewing is limited

THR AussieMike returns

Status
Not open for further replies.
***ADVICE PLEASE***ADVICE PLEASE***ADVICE PLEASE***ADVICE PLEASE***ADVICE PLEASE***ADVICE PLEASE***

Now that I am three weeks post op, I am trying to determine what is a realistic focus for the week ahead. I know I am doing pretty well to date. I can walk without a limp. I can walk downstairs leg over leg without a walking stick. I can walk upstairs leg over leg with a walking stick.

Currently when I go for a walk around the local area, I can walk at a good pace for about 10 minutes before the quadriceps and abductor muscles tighten up.

So with that in mind is it sensible to take progressively longer walks?

Would more frequent short walks be more beneficial?

Given that I am currently doing daily walks of 800 metres / 875 yards, how far should I attempt to do by week's end?

What other things will be good to focus on this week?
 
Please don't push too hard. Remember to keep your pain in control. I found that my new joint made the decission on how far I walked. Keep swelling down. If it hurts don't do it. What I did is divide my dAy into three parts. Morning, Afternoon and Evening. A Walk in each, not far but if I was swollen or sore canceled the walk and use ice for swelling. Make sure you still elevate. Be kind to yourself and remember you just had a big surgrey and you still need to heal and rest. Many small walks can be better than one long walk. Look at your schedule you had in the hospital and stay close to it for a couple of weeks. I had to be careful not to overdue it. You will fine. Be kind to yourself. Ice, elevate, rest and pain control still goes. Take care. Tashia
 
Thanks Tashia,

I appreciate your words of advice. At this stage, my swelling is essentially gone! It does swell slightly along the incision after a walk. But the swelling is gone after about 20 minutes of ice. Yes, I know I am very fortunate. On the pain control front, I am down to 5mg Targin morning and night as well as one Endone tablet after my afternoon walk. That's it. Again very fortunate.

Cheers

Mike
 
Hi Mike, my advice would be to build up your walking. But the trick is not to go too far and remember that you have to have the stamina to make the return trip. You can do it either way - a few short walks or lengthening your current walk. This will help build those weakened muscles and gradually increase your stamina. Be sure and rest if you feel like you have done too much. Pressing on when you are tired is counter productive.
 
Hi Jaycey,

Here's what I am thinking might be the best way to incorporate your advice. About 250 meters from my lady's house is an oval with a walking track outside the fence perimeter. I have walked this track before wearing a Garmin GPS watch and know that one lap is 430 meters. So I can simply walk to the oval and do laps of the oval slowly increasing the distance over time. Conveniently there are seats dotted around the outside of the oval that I can use to rest and recover upon.

So if I walked to the oval, did one lap and walked back again that would be 930 meters. When that is comfortable another lap would increase the total distance to 1360 meters. Do you think that sounds okay?

Thanks for your advice,

Mike
 
Sounds perfect Mike. An area where there are seats if you need to rest is ideal! There will be days when you can't do the whole circuit and days when you feel like doing more. Slow and steady. And don't forget that if you have had a swim or other excercise you might not need to do anything more.
 
No, no Mike. Jo's the boss and I only work here! :heehee:
 
Point taken Jaycey! I am sure Jo won't read this thread. This conversation will be our little secret. :angel:
 
CURRENT DATE: Monday 15th October 2012
Procedure: LTHR - 24th September 2012
Post Op: 21 days
Location: My Lady's home
Entry Weight: 78kg / 172lb
Current Weight: 75.5kg / 166Ib
Target Weight: 70kg / 154bIb

CURRENT ISSUES:
Muscle imbalances in left leg

OPERATING HOSPITAL ACHIEVEMENTS (5 days):
1. Got out of bed independently
2. Stood in place with walking frame
3. Walked 6 meters to bathroom
4. Used bathroom independently
5. Took shower seated with assistance
6. Dressed with assistance
7. Walked 30 meters with a walking frame
8. Walked 10 meters with 2 crutches
9. Walked up and down 1 step repeatedly
10. Showered standing independently
11. Dressed independently (except TED socks)
12. Walked 100 meters with 2 crutches
13. Walked up and down the 6 step mini-stairs
14. Supporting my roomie and new friend David on his journey

REHABILITATION HOSPITAL ACHIEVEMENTS (14 days):
15. Walked down and up 2 flights of stairs (total 60 stairs)
16. Hip Flexion 90 degrees
17. Hip Abduction 30 degrees
18. Making people happy and positive
19. Walking with two walking sticks
20. Walking with one walking stick
21. Commenced hydrotherapy program
22. 30 seconds of continuous kicking against the Hydrojets
23. 60 second Plank
24. Breaststroke / Backstroke in the pool
25. Slept through the night without pain relief
26. Walking leg over leg down stairs
27. Walking leg over leg up stairs
28. 6 x 60 secs Planks with 30 secs rest between reps
29. Walking leg over leg up 10 flights of stairs
30. Lost 2.5kg / 5.5lb in bodyweight in rehab - none of it muscle

POST HOSPITAL ACHIEVEMENTS:
31. Completed 800 meters / 875 yards footpath (pavement) walk in 7.5 mins
32. Completed 800 meters / 875 yards footpath (pavement) walk in 6 mins

CURRENT PAIN MANAGEMENT:
5mg Targin every 12 hours
5 mg Endone as required (max 2 per day)
2 Panadol every 12 hours
Aspirin 150mg per day
Ice packs as required

TODAY'S FOOD PLAN:
Breakfast
Sultana bran, skim milk, wholemeal toast, lemon & ginger tea.
Lunch
Tomato and Zucchini quiche, salad, black tea.
Dinner
Spaghetti bolognaise, salad, garlic bread, water.

TODAY'S FOCUS:
1. Independent Physio exercises @ 7am
2. Morning walk @ 11.30am
3. Afternoon walk @ 5pm

NOTES:

00.15 Another sleepless night. But its okay I have had plenty of rest this afternoon so I am just out of sync a little. Its so quiet here at this time of day compared to the rehab hospital.

03.35 Got a couple of hours sleep but awake again needing an Endone for the pain. I think my hip must have been missing those infomercials on TV...

07.29 A few more hours sleep in a recliner chair as well as a bed. Not ideal but its the best I can do right now.

10.05 My body demanded more sleep and I suppose I can't complain. Now I can finally start my plans for the day.

13.52 Finally made it to the local park on a beautiful sunny spring day here in Sydney. I walked for a while and rested on the park benches before walking again. After an hour of this, I was sitting in the sun when it suddenly occurred to me - I am an active person again. I am out and about do the things I couldn't do before. Sure there is a way to go but I have made it!

18.42 A lazy afternoon as I feel tired with an upset stomach. A sleep and warm bath and I feel a little better but ready for an early night.
 
It's Monday morning and my lady is in the kitchen, getting ready for her day at work. She is making salad for lunch for both of us to have with the leftover quiche. She is an angel. She wanted to work a half day and come home to be with me. I told her not to waste her precious leave.

In a few minutes she will be out the door and on her way to work. It is then for the first time in three weeks I will be truly alone. It's hardly a new experience. We don't normally live together. I normally live in an apartment alone during the week. So why did this even occur to me?

I suppose its a confidence thing. I have been a dependent person since surgery. Am I able to look after myself and whatever might go wrong during the day? What if something happens to me when I am out walking and no one is here for me?

These are totally irrational thoughts for a man to have. But this is a time of real vulnerability for hippies. I mention all this so that others who get these thoughts know that they are perfectly normal.

On with the day...
 
Hi Mike!
I've been following your recovery and I love the way you are documenting it and how well you are getting along. Being alone for the first time is a little disconcerting as this surgery seems to play with our emotions and our confidence. It's like each task is all new again. Fortunately, once we do each thing and get over the hump so to speak, it gets easier. And the sleep issue...I found it best to just go with it. I got all of my drawers and closets organized in the wee hours. Before you know it you will have regular sleep patterns again, all when the body tells us it is time to. Sometimes I think some of us go through this process just to learn patience!

Take care, looking forward to more updates.
 
On my one week anniversary, my husband left for an overnight to attend a college reunion. The only thing I had trouble doing without him was carrying my cup of tea into the living room. Thank goodness I was using a plastic pan with the cup inside it, balanced on my walker. I only spilled one cup and it went into the pan. You're getting along so well you won't have that sort of problem. I understand your feeling. Somehow, it's just a different feeling to be without someone in shouting distance.
 
Hi Mike!
I've been following your recovery and I love the way you are documenting it and how well you are getting along. Being alone for the first time is a little disconcerting as this surgery seems to play with our emotions and our confidence. It's like each task is all new again. Fortunately, once we do each thing and get over the hump so to speak, it gets easier. And the sleep issue...I found it best to just go with it. I got all of my drawers and closets organized in the wee hours. Before you know it you will have regular sleep patterns again, all when the body tells us it is time to. Sometimes I think some of us go through this process just to learn patience!

Take care, looking forward to more updates.

Hi Dianemarie,

I never cease to be amazed when someone posts on my thread for the first time. At first I thought well its just Poppet and Jo and Sharonsip who are having this conversation with me. How silly of me... I do like the way your brain works - using the restless hours to do productive work. I won't be home in my apartment until next weekend to do such pottering around but have lots of challenges on the work front which are looming fast that I can turn my attention to.

I hope you are wrong about irregular sleep patterns providing a lesson in patience. I am 57 now and have scheduled to attend a master class in Patience for the year 2050 - I am a man after all.

Kind regards

Mike
 
So are you waiting for that master class patiently or impatiently? Life is short....eat a little dessert, and move up your timeline. And...oh yes....read the directions. :)

Sharon
 
Good luck Mike with your day on your own as a very independent person the total dependence on others did freak me out. As for sleep patterns mine have never been regular, partying, kids, open university study, working too hard, the only me time I get, astromony hubby's hoby and now recently why am in so much pain I can't sleep. This time next year I will have another excuse :)
Let me know how your 2050 patience class goes I might book on to it if it's any good.
 
Good luck Mike with your day on your own as a very independent person the total dependence on others did freak me out. As for sleep patterns mine have never been regular, partying, kids, open university study, working too hard, the only me time I get, astromony hubby's hoby and now recently why am in so much pain I can't sleep. This time next year I will have another excuse :)
Let me know how your 2050 patience class goes I might book on to it if it's any good.

Hi Puddle Fish

Thanks for your good wishes. The day was fine of course as the mental hurdle was not based on anything real. I have never been renowned as a great sleeper either but the rest and repair process is so closely related in this post op period that I give it a high priority.

I will send you the application form for the Patience Mastery 2050 course.

Cheers

Mike
 
Yoohoo Mike, great to see you are still doing well.....I like No 25 on your list, getting a good nights sleep makes all the difference :thumb:

Hope you're not too lonely all by yourself throughout the day :) great you have BS to keep you occupied.

Take care

Ann
 
Hi Ann,

Thanks for stopping by. Yes an good nights rest free of pain is a valuable achievement - sadly I have only had one so far. But on the positive side, I am able to catch up on missed sleep quite readily.

My day wasn't lonely at all really. Being out in the sun and walking with relative ease accompanied by an iPod of favourite music was a pretty nice way to pass the time. I carried a mobile phone and could stop and sit for a while and make a call to a friend or business colleague.

I appreciate all the Bonesmart Angels™ who take such an interest in each and every person who stops by.

Cheers

Mike
 
Worry not, Mike. I don't think I got one of those until about 8-10 weeks out.
[Bonesmart.org] AussieMike returns
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom