Bilateral THR Aug.18 - a success!

Hi @Hipster Girl, Oh, you were right. I've been doing headstand, too. That one is actually easier for me. Next I am hoping to try elbow stand. I was a gymnast from ages 9-13, so I spent a lot of time upside down.

I kept my grab bars in the tub, which helps with climbing into the bath. Also, I had my surgery much earlier than you did. I stay parallel, and ease myself down slowly. I'll probably leave the grab bars up permanently. It just feels safer to use them as I sit and stand in the bath. I have the small ones with the suction cups.

As far as the external rotation, yes, it did just happen organically when trying out the pumice stone. I couldn't open my knee very far until now. So, I just waited and didn't do it. Years ago I used to have great external rotation, so hopefully, in time, it will come back. At least I have enough now to cut my toenails, scrub my feet, shave my legs, etc. It just sort of creeps up on me and surprises me. It seems like time is the best healer.

I love having the home grown food. My goal is to have a forest of fruit in the backyard. I love the idea of edible landscaping. I need to get back there and do some tree trimming.

Last night I did a set of Kundalini Yoga before bed. I still am sitting in a chair instead of sitting cross legged on the floor. I don't even attempt it. It works fine this way, and there's no strain. I still get the benefits and am surprised at how flexible I am in some of the other poses. (like forward folds sitting down, with the legs together, or standing.) I'm not doing any straddles or things like Warrior 2. I still baby the hip joints and work around them.

I hope you are doing well and that going back to work is agreeing with you. I find that a healthy diet really makes a big difference with healing, too. Take care...
 
It's exciting to be going uphill now, instead of downhill...
Brilliantly said!
Boy, you are not kidding about the upper body strength being important. I thought I was pretty good in that area, but was surprised at how quickly my arms got tired using the walker and hefting myself around.
Had I known I would have concentrated on that area a bit more. :)

I hope your weekend is going great!
 
Thanks @DeepBreath. I've always had good upper body strength from being a gymnast. I kind of took it for granted. That's interesting that your arms got tired. I didn't experience that. We all have such different strengths and weaknesses. It's bizarre...totally different challenges after the same surgery.

Yesterday I worked in the yard. I rakes up leaves, picked up pine cones, and watered the garden and orchard. I decided to just do hydrotherapy at the gym, since the gardening is like a workout. I saw this man in the jacuzzi who looked around my age, maybe five years older. He had really great muscular mass in his arms and upper body. I asked him if he lifted heavy weights. He told me that he does, and that he holds three world records! Curious, I inquired if he minded telling me how old he is. "74," he answered. I couldn't believe it. He looks like Jack La Lane. I was very impressed. He told me that most people his age sit in front of the t.v. all day.

So, I am off to the gym to do my little routine. Very light or no weights, but still helpful and healing.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! Wow about the Jack La Lane guy! Good for him. Taking care of one's body is definitely a must. The saying, 'If you don't use it you'll lose it' is definitely true! :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, @DeepBreath. He told me that he has a good diet, too. Yesterday the book that I ordered, Heal Your Hips, How to Prevent Hip Surgery and What to Do if You Need it, arrived in the mail. It's my Robert Klapper, MD, and Lynda Huey. I read the section in the back of the book, written for people who have had their hip(s) replaced. It was interesting. I may try these exercises, but I think what I'm doing is working just fine. This looks very intense. I do better with less. She works with a lot of professional athletes, though. I'm in a different stage of life.

Yesterday I went to the gym and did the elliptical, the stair master, machines, and five mins. on the bike with no resistance. It felt really good. I haven't had any pain for a long time, and my legs are becoming more muscular again. Last night I did some yoga before bed. The external rotation is still not fully there, but I just allow the leg to move where it falls naturally, and breathe.

I polished my toe nails with ease. That was a big accomplishment! My feet look much prettier now.

Last night I worked on the routine that they teach at the Jersey Boys call. I'm auditioning for the show tomorrow and Thurs. This will be my first time doing choreography since I've had my hips replaced. It's very low impact, more like backup dancing. I've been working on my singing and acting, too.

I've got to wash the dog beds and blankets, and water my garden and orchard. I hope all of the hippies are doing well and recovering...
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! diet is certainly important, isn't it? The book sounds very interesting. Good for you for knowing what works best for you exercise wise. It sounds like what you're doing is very effective. Too much is exactly that: too much, and can likely do more harm than good. Yoga is terrific exercise in itself.

I'll be sending out positive vibes for the Jersey Boys audition! I love that show. :)

I hope your day is a good one and you enjoy working in your home and the lovely outdoors. :flwrysmile:
 
headstands and handstands! That is pretty incredible!! Good for you @Hip Hip Hooray! Your progress is, well, progressing! :heehee:
You mentioned feeling soreness after swimming, I felt that even before the surgery, but it helped me have a bit more ROM so I can't help but think of how good it would be for us. I had hoped to get back to the swimming by now but things have been a bit hectic since I returned to work.

My PT is going super well. I literally can feel my strength and balance returning with each session. It's been most beneficial for my neck and mid thoracics.. my muscle condition is improving, which helps me stay strong and ergonomically correct while giving a massage session. Good to ready your posts and catch up a bit! :flwrysmile:
 
Thanks for your post, @CricketHip. You sound really positive and upbeat. I'm glad that the PT is going so well. It must feel good to be back at work. Good for you.

Thanks for the good vibes, @DeepBreath. I went to the singers call for Jersey Boys today. I ran into the asst. choreographer in the waiting room, and we had a nice chat. I missed their last call in Las Vegas, and he noticed. He's a really incredible guy. I love being around him. He's super talented and funny.

I'm trying to remember why I didn't go to the last call in Vegas. I remember that I was having a hard time making long drives; my legs were just aching so badly. I also didn't think I could do what was needed in the show: crossing my legs, climbing the stairs on that set, making fast costume changes, and buckling dance shoes. Now I can do all those things! My mom died around that time, too.

The singing call went very well. They had a wonderful accompianist. Tomorrow is the dance call. It's backup dancing, so it's not a strain. I went to the dance shop and bought a new purple leotard, and a couple of pairs of tights. I want to look my best tomorrow. Jersey Boys is my dream show. I just love it. Part of me feels like I'm too old, but they always give me a lot of encouragement, so I keep going back.

I took a short swim and hot tub after the audition. It felt good. I will do a little yoga and icing before bed. Hope all's well with everyone.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! how awesome about the Jersey Boys audition and running into the asst. choreographer. My goodness, I'd say you had good reason to miss that last call. It sounds like a lot of pain, both physical and emotional, to deal with. I'm so glad you're back at it and feeling good! :)
I know you're rocking that purple leotard and new tights! I hope the dance call goes wonderfully.
Take care, friend. :flwrysmile:
 
Hi @Deep Breath, He is the nicest guy. I researched it, and now he's the associate choreographer. He puts together all of the companies, and runs all of the dance auditions. I just adore him. It went well today. He announced to the whole group that I come to every audition, and that he's so grateful that I do. I was just blown away...( I am by FAR the oldest.) The main reason I keep going back is that he is so encouraging, and I am just crazy about that show.

I said good bye to him when I left and added, "Thanks for letting me come." I guess I'm so used to people in show business making an issue of age, and he doesn't. He told me I was fabulous. He made my year.

I forgot all about my hips. It wasn't until I was almost home, a few hours later, that I remembered. This is a big deal, because it's the first time I've danced since the surgery. I did yoga at home before going, and rode the dogs alongside the bike this morning. The audition was in heels. My legs feel worked, but in a good way. It's very light dancing. Understated.

I hope everyone is recovering well. I ordered a box from Omaha Steaks with a coupon. I'm having filet mignon and a baked potato for dinner. Decadence! Steak in good for the hips...
 
I hear those steaks are the best, my mouth is watering!! I've read your entire thread, its so healing. Its what I needed to read. I agree German Shepherds are awesome, my mom used to raise them. I had to give mine up in 2012. It sounds like you have a little piece of paradise. Your writing is very calming and inspirational. I can see many more good things in your future. It also sounds like you have great neighbours and interesting to. I love the posts about your orchard, how big is it. I do laugh about the cold, as its a few degrees below freezing, I am getting rusty on the old F scale. Plus the snow makes it a bit hazardous. I like how in charge of your healing you are. Keep up the post, its so calming. I look forward to more.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! It sounds like it was a wonderful audition and the choreographer sounds amazing. Youth is lovely, but experience and an obviously amazing work ethic is even better in my book.
I'm glad it went well and that you were able to forget your bionic hips! That is fabulous. :)

YUM about the filet mignon. I absolutely love a good steak. A local restaurant is having their surf and turf special going on right now and I think we're going to have to go take advantage this weekend. Lobster tail and steak...HELLO!!

I hope you have a great weekend, friend. :flwrysmile:
 
I hear those steaks are the best, my mouth is watering!! I've read your entire thread, its so healing. Its what I needed to read. I agree German Shepherds are awesome, my mom used to raise them. I had to give mine up in 2012. It sounds like you have a little piece of paradise. Your writing is very calming and inspirational. I can see many more good things in your future. It also sounds like you have great neighbours and interesting to. I love the posts about your orchard, how big is it. I do laugh about the cold, as its a few degrees below freezing, I am getting rusty on the old F scale. Plus the snow makes it a bit hazardous. I like how in charge of your healing you are. Keep up the post, its so calming. I look forward to more.

Hi @3rd Dislocation, I love your Peanuts avatar! Yes, the Omaha steaks are delicious. It feels good to have a stockpile of dinner supplies in the freezer. The box came with frankfurters, chicken fried steaks, steak burgers, filet mignons, and more.

How neat that your mom used to raise German Shepherds. They are so smart. They need a lot of exercise, though. I find it gets easier as they get older. I'm sorry you had to give yours up. How sad.

My orchard is small. I'm on a third acre lot, and my cottage is just 567 square feet. It's perfect for one person. The dogs love to run around back there, too. You've got real cold there, where you are, in Canada. I hope you are staying snug and warm and comfortable.

Thanks for reading the thread and commenting. I'll have to go catch up on yours. Take care of those hips!
 
Hi @DeepBreath, Yes, it was a great experience. I was sore today, but in a good and healthy way. (Just my thigh muscles, from wearing heels and dancing again.) It took me over 10 years of auditioning to get into the Rockettes. They kept telling me that I was on file. Finally, there was an opening. Same thing with "42nd Street". I went to calls over a six year period. Once they decided to take a new group to Europe, I was in! So, I've learned a lot about persistence and determination. It's just at my age, I don't have ten years left to play some of these parts. But, I just stay open, and appreciate the opportunity.

Lobster tail and steak sounds delicious. I just had the second steak I cooked yesterday for lunch today. I made a baked potato and salad to go with it. My mom always served steak that way, and it was so delicious.

I've got to run my dogs now. I'll get back later and comment on your thread. Thanks for all your posts, @DeepBreath.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! Jack LaLanne, wow, that name is a blast from the past - I used to exercise along with his show when I was a kid. He lived to be almost 100 years old so that tells us the importance of exercise and eating right for our bodies. He was a true inspiration and paved the way for the rest of the exercise gurus that came after him.

I am so excited for your Jersey Boys audition and happy for you that everything that comes with a show, such as the costume changes and buckling dance shoes, is now coming easier for you. I think the back-up dancing would be ideal at this stage of recovery and it sounds like both the dance call & singing call went very well. Sending good vibes your way that you will get in. I couldn't agree more about lessons learned about persistence and determination; I have learned the same in my own life.

I am so happy your recovery continues to go so well and that you are sometimes forgetting about your hip - that's what it's all about! :)
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! I hear you about the ten year thing. I think your attitude about staying open and appreciating that opportunity is awesome. :)
I hope you're enjoying your weekend and time with your doggies. I can't believe how quickly December is flying by!
 
I just finished writing out my holiday cards. That felt good. I sent thank you notes to the creative team from Jersey Boys. It feels good to have all of that done. Next I'm going to finish my blanket and put it on the bed. It took me a few days to wind down from the auditions. I get so excited when I'm around those people. It's such a wonderful show.

Yesterday I went back to the gym. I used the machines and then did hydrotherapy. I feel strong and healthy. Today I'll do some yoga. I think I'll try the Bikram series today. (with some modifications.) I love what it does for my body. Yoga seems to really agree with me now.

Hi @Hipster Girl, Great to see you again. Yes, I agree about Jack La Lane. I was always impressed by him. I know what you mean about persistence and determination. Sometimes I want to quit right before I have an unexpected breakthrough. I've learned to keep dreaming big and to press on!

@DeepBreath, Yes, I just love auditioning. Ironically, the singing and acting auditions are now much easier for me than the dancing. I don't get as nervous. Plus, I tend to be a perfectionist with the dancing. It's harder now for me to pick up the choreography. I need to just enjoy the experience and do my best.

I talked to my dad last night. He just won a bridge tournament in San Francisco. He is 85 years old. I was very happy for him. He started telling me that he made a lot of mistakes. (I tend to think the same way.)
 
It's a good feeling to get those holiday cards finished, isn't it? It seems like less and less people send cards every year but I always find it such a great way to connect with those I may have lost touch with over the year. I love those little Christmas letters that people write and enclose with their cards that fill you in on the big events that happened in their lives during the year.

Congratulations to your dad; that is quite an accomplishment to win a tournament. Mistakes or not, he must have done something right to win it - good for him!

I bet you are so excited about your blanket! Did you use it last night? I would love to see a picture of the finished product if you are able to post one...it sounds absolutely lovely. :)
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, Thank you. I've still got to finish my blanket. I keep putting it off, and doing other chores and things that need attention. I will work on it tonight.

Today I finally got things sorted out with Medical. They said I can call Blue Shield in 24 hours and my health insurance will be reinstated. Phew! I was on hold for a very long time. It was all worth it, though. Once that is taken care of, I can ask them about my reimbursement check that I still haven't received. It will go right into savings.

The new hips are doing great. I did yoga last night, and am amazed at how flexible my hamstrings and low back have become. I can bend forward with my legs out in front of me, and hold my heels. It's like my body is just releasing. He did such a good job with the leg lengths. I showed my neighbor, the horse vet, my before and after xrays. She was impressed with how symetrical (Gosh! How do you spell that? I used to be such a good speller!) they are.

I went to the gym today and worked out again. I really enjoy it. I'm thinking about trying a ballet barre next. My intuition is telling me to only turn out the working leg, and to stand parallel on the supporting leg. It feels like too much pressure to try to rotate both hips together. I'm now able to sit Indian style on two cushions. Eventually I'll sit on one, and then on the floor again. It does help to work very gradually and slowly.

Hope everyone here is doing well and moving forward.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! that must be such a relief to get the insurance sorted out. It's not a pleasant task having to deal with those insurance companies so I'm happy for you that you were able to get this resolved....and before Christmas too. :)

The flexibility in your new hips is impressive. I hope mine will improve like yours have done. I think the yoga is helping you quite a bit and I don't do yoga but maybe there is something else I can do to improve flexibility? I need to discuss at my next post-op. It amazes me that you can sit Indian style now - that is really incredible; good for you! Where did you get your x-rays? Did the surgeon give them to you or did you have to request them? I might like to get mine so I can have for my records.
Happy to see your update - keep up the great progress!:flwrysmile:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom