Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Aug.18 - a success!

@Hip Hip Hooray! YAAAY for your audition! I am so excited for you and I'll be sending out tons of vibes for you. Enjoy!
Also, wonderful news about the ROM and steady progress with your yoga and other activities!
Re: cleaning. It really stacks up, doesn't it?
I'm glad your kitchen is sparkling fresh now. I'll bet smells amazing with your homemade cleanser. :)
Have a terrific evening!
 
Good luck to you! I can't bring myself to say "break a leg" :heehee:
This cracked me up. Yes, I don't use that expression anymore, either. I appreciate the thought, though.

Well, the audition trip went really well. There wasn't any traffic, so I got there quickly. It's so much easier to make long drives now! My legs don't ache like they did before the surgery. I stayed at Harrah's. It was packed. Fortunately, I allowed plenty of time. I took a bath, did some yoga, and had dinner in my room. (I had brought a few sandwiches and some snacks.) I went down to the showroom and saw the show. I've performed at Harrah's in Tahoe and Atlantic City with Sugar Babies, so it brought back memories. I enjoyed the show, and went back to my room. I was very tired, so I went to bed at 9:00 a.m.

I ordered room service for breakfast, which was a treat. It's luxurious to have your coffee, fruit, and croissant on a tray in the hotel room. It reminded me of when I was on tour with My One and Only. I was only 22, but I just loved staying in hotels and traveling. Room service was such a treat!

I went to the gym and did a little bit of exerce. I got to the audition very early, and they gave me an appt. right away, since they'd a had a cancellation. The director was so friendly, and very kind. I liked him right away. He mentiined some of the people that we have in common. It's such a small world. Everybody knows everybody. I sang two songs, and then he had me read. He told me that they don't have anything in Vegas for me right now, but asked if I would tour. He said, "We have tours." I told him "Yes, I love to travel." They seemed very pleased, (and relieved.) I was thrilled. I came home and looked up the show on line. There are five different companies! So, I am hopeful that a spot will open up soon.

I forgot all about my hips. It's interesting how once you start to get back into your regular routine, the memory starts to fade. This show would be an ideal job for me. It's only an hour and a half long, and the dancing is very light.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! YAAAY for your audition! I am so excited for you and I'll be sending out tons of vibes for you. Enjoy!
Also, wonderful news about the ROM and steady progress with your yoga and other activities!
Re: cleaning. It really stacks up, doesn't it?
I'm glad your kitchen is sparkling fresh now. I'll bet smells amazing with your homemade cleanser. :)
Have a terrific evening!

Thank you, @DeepBreath. The yoga is feeling great. I'm getting a lot more flexible. Thinking of you and sending best wishes for hip #2!
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! your audition experience sounded amazing! I have a good feeling about this.... :)
Do you know where all the tour would take you? How perfect does that show sound?! An hour and a half and light dancing. That sounds wonderful!
I am all atwitter with excitement for you. I'm so glad it was a good experience and that you are definitely getting back to the former you!

Enjoy your day! :flwrysmile:
 
hello Hip Hip!! What a lovely excursion for you!! I agree with Deep and have a good feeling about this for you!! It sounds like you may have some exciting travels in your future.
Loved reading about your trip and the food and just everything that you described..
Congratulations! You successfully maneuvered the drive, the audition and well, everything.. don't you just love getting back to normal?? Whatever that is for each of us!!
 
@DeepBreath, Thanks. I have a good feeling about it, too. The director was so nice. He has excellent credits. I really liked the way he worked with me.

@CricketHip, I love traveling. Yes, it was exciting to get back to normal. It's been years since I could do an audition pain free, and without limping. I feel like a much better version of my old self. A friend of mine did the show Off Broadway, and she is going to try and get me a copy of the script and the music. I want to start rehearsing on my own.

The one glitch is that I'm worried about my dogs. They are like my children. I spend so much time with them. I put out a post on Facebook, looking for a dogsitter in exchange for a place to live. If I had gotten the show in Vegas, I could have brought the dogs with me. They don't need someone for the Soap Star in that cast. I'm just putting out feelers and visualizing the best. You never know what's going to happen in show business.

Today I'm going to do some research to find out why I haven't received a reimbursement check from Blue Shield for my surgery. It's been three months. I want to get all of my ducks in a row. I feel better when I'm organized.

Yesterday I went to the gym again. It feels good to work out on the machines. I tried the eliptical, and I liked it. (I'm not sure if I spelled that correctly.) The hot tub and sauna have reopened. I feel so much better when I use them after exercising. It feels so therapeutic. I've been a little tired since the trip, so I've been going to bed super early, like 7:30 p.m.! In the winter I feel the need to hibernate. I got up at 4:00 a.m., though.

Hope everyone is recovering well.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! I'm sending out good vibes for the audition outcome and for you to find sitters for your babies that you'll feel comfortable with. That's a huge consideration.
Also sending out good thoughts that the insurance check will show up ASAP. They sure don't like it when they don't get their money right on time, do they? They need to have the same consideration for their insureds.

I hear you about hibernating! I love being snug and cozy in winter.

Have a great weekend, Friend. :)
 
Thanks @DeepBreath. I read on line that it can take between three and four months to receive the check from your insurance company. Fortunately, I have plenty of savings, so it's not stressing me out. I'm glad that I've learned to live frugally. When I was younger this would have traumatized me.

Today I planted some pansies and violas in my hanging baskets. I love having flowers in bloom. The begonias in my window boxes are bursting with color. They are a lovely shade of pink, and they look very vibrant and healthy. I also planted a couple of six packs of broccoli and cauliflower. This weather has been ideal for growing vegetables. The pineapple guavas are starting to drop from the tree. I'll probably pick those in the next few days.
The meyer lemons are starting to turn yellow, too. It's the cold nights...

Today I'm going to make an apple cranberry cobbler. It's one of my favorite Holiday dishes. I picked up some beautiful Granny Smith apples on sale. They look so perfect. The cranberries taste like cherries in this recipe.

Yesterday I tried sitting Indian style on the floor while practicing yoga. I used a cushion, but I'm not there yet. I just don't have the flexibility in the hips, and I don't want to push it. I was able to cut my toenails last night, which was a milestone! They had gotten so long. Yuk. What a relief. I've struggled with that for the past couple of years. I'm pleased I can open my knee to the side again while sitting in a chair. I'm also almost able to cross my legs now. I asked Dr. Matta if I could do that and he answered, "You can cross your legs." (which I didn't expect.) I can't quite do it comfortably yet, but I can see that I will be able to, soon. Sometimes in a show, they want you to sit that way, so I need to practice. (It hurt to get my knees together before surgery.)

I'm still working on my blanket, and have been practicing my singing and acting every day. That audition really inspired me. Jersey Boys is coming to audition in early December. I love that creative team. They have been very encouraging to me in the past, so I think I will go. I reviewed some of the choreography last night, and I can do it. Last time I auditioned I fretted about not being able to climb stairs or cross my legs. (The drive to Vegas killed me, too.) Now I don't have to worry. (Last year at this time I never thought I'd do those things again.) I'm so glad I went through with this surgery. I'm amazed at how much better I feel. I hope everyone else is doing well...
 
Hi @Hip Hip Hooray! Here you are...I was having a hard time finding your thread - I was looking for your name in the title. I have bookmarked it now and requested alerts. Wow, I can't believe all I've missed! I am thoroughly enjoying your posts...you truly help me to visualize what it is for someone to have their life back after THR, not just be pain-free but to totally get back to living again.

Your thread is an inspiration. I am fascinated how your range of motion is improving organically and even suddenly in some cases, taking even you by surprise. I hope that will happen to me. There are some exercises the PT gave me like one where you lay on your back with your knees up and feet together, and let your knee drop to the side. I have been discouraged by how little mine will go down so I would love for them one day just to suddenly drop all the way down. I have always had horrible external & internal rotation and want so much to see improvements in those areas.

Your blanket sounds lovely. I crocheted an afghan years ago when I was pregnant. It was actually the last thing I crocheted. It was king size so it took forever for me to complete but it turned out nice.

I am impressed with how well your trip to Las Vegas went and your audition - so very excited for you!! :yes:
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, Thanks for your encouraging post. You're such an excellent writer. I really think your range of motion will improve naturally, over time. It didn't do any external rotation for the first couple of months. It just felt wrong...like I was disturbing raw meat. Patience is not my strong point, but this experience has taught me the value of going very slowly and carefully. I used to push my body too hard. I only started doing the exercise you just described in the last month. With one leg, the knee drops to the floor. With both legs, it's still only going down halfway, and it feels stiff. I just allow the legs to move on their own, and I don't force or push. I feel like the body tenses to protect itself. So, I'm trying to send it the message that I will be gentle.

Your blanket sounds great. Wow...king sized! That's an accomplishment. Mine is for a full sized bed. It's coming along nicely. It's really soft and warm. I've been waking up at night because I'm cold, so I'm anxious to finish it. For now I've been switching on the heater, which the dogs love!

You're right, I really do feel like I'm getting back to living again. I made the entire Thanksgiving meal, and it came out really well. So many things that used to be difficult for me are now easy again. Ballet still seems very distant and impossible, so I've put that idea on hold for now. I can revisit it down the line.

I hope everyone is having a delicious and wonderful Thanksgiving!
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! It sounds like you are doing great! Oh man, the mention of the apple, cranberry cobbler has my mouth watering. That sounds heavenly.
I always enjoy hearing about your flowers and veggies. It's like a balm for the soul. I love pansies! They're such sweet, happy little flowers. When I picture your home I imagine kind of an enchanted cottage. It sounds so cozy and peaceful.
Sending good vibes out for the continuing recovery. As alway, you're an inspiration. :)
 
Hi @Hip Hip Hooray! I have wondered if it was too soon for me to do that particular exercise where the knee drops. The PT at my surgeon's office introduced me to that exercise at my 4-week post-op on the first hip and then again on the 2nd hip, but my body does not appear to be responding particularly well, nor to the clamshells. In fact, the clamshells is even harder, so maybe I should wait another couple weeks and just focus on the others for now.

You make a lot of sense about being in tune with your body and listening to what it tells you as far as what it is ready for. I don't believe in pushing past pain either. I think our body tells us something is uncomfortable for a reason and we need to heed. I just hope this is a temporary glitch and then like you, one day I will suddenly feel like it's ready and it will just organically happen.

I hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving! That is quite an accomplishment making the entire Thanksgiving meal. That is no small feat!

What colors are your blanket?
 
Hi @DeepBreath, So glad that you made it through the second hip surgery. I hope the pain is lessening. Yes, that apple cranberry cobbler is delicious! It's easy, too. It only has a top crust. I love it.

I agree, pansies are really sweet. They're edible, too. Sometimes I put them on chocolate cake, as a decoration. I love my little house. It kind of looks like a fairytale cottage. It's a salmon color with white trim. I've always had a soft spot for older homes. They have so much character and charm. In the kitchen there's an O'Keefe and Merritt gas stove that I bought in the Recycler and brought up to code. It's just beautiful. They were real popular in Hollywood Hills back in the fifties. I also splurged on a Big Chill pink fridge. the outside looks like the old fashioned Frigidaires, but inside it's a modern Whirlpool. It adds a lot of style to the kitchen. My mom gave me a breakfast nook that fits in the corner. I love those! They're so comfortable. I spend a lot of time in the kitchen. It sounds like you do, too.

I went to the gym this morning and did a short workout. I used the elliptical and the stair master. I also did a couple upper body machines that I don't normally use, and one hundred situps on that rocking thing. (I don't know what it's called, but I like it.) The pool was finally open, so I took a short swim. I alternated with the jacuzzi and sauna. I went outside and laid on a lounge, and this guy asked me, "Aren't you cold?" I guess I'm the only one there who does hydrotherapy. I get my body really hot, and then take a cold shower and lay out in the cold air. I think they think I'm nuts, but it really helps me with healing. This man in the sauna asked me, "Isn't the pool too cold for you?" "Oh no," I answered, "It's like bath water." He dipped his toe in and then ran back into the sauna. I guess all the yoga has gotten me used to the shock of cold water. One of the yogis I studied taught us that cold showers can heal most ailments. The body really reacts. The bladder shrinks, and all sorts of other internal changes happen that are healthy and beneficial. I've even found that a cold shower or bath will clear nausea.

Anyway, enough of my rambling. I did some Kundalini Yoga last night before bed. I tried sitting cross legged on two cushions. It was okay, but not great. I felt some soreness today, so I won't push it. I'm still working in the chair. That feels better and safer.

Today at T. J. Maxx I bought a holly berry candle, a pair of flannel pajamas, and a stovetop espresso maker.(All things I needed.) I wasn't going to shop, (because it's Black Friday,) but it was fine. I also bought a box of rose hips and hibiscus tea from England. It's kind of cold here today, so I enjoyed a pot of tea. Right now I'm having hot chocolate in a Christmas mug. I've got to start decorating. I love this time of year.

@Hipster Girl, Yeah, I'm not doing any clamshells. To me, if the PT people are giving those exercises so soon after surgery, they haven't had the surgery. Josephine warns against them, too. To me, pushing the range of motion is asking for trouble. I wonder if hips would heal in the same amount of time, regardless. I mean don't get me wrong, I love to exercise, but this surgery is really deep and I think kind of like being in an accident. So, I just take things very slowly and methodically. I'm not surprised that your body's not responding well to some of those exercises. I like the ones I listed on my thread, but they are all parallel, and I do them in moderation. ( a third of the maximum repetitions the PT's recommended.) Instead of 90 a day I did 30. It was plenty. I think 90 would have caused injury. I also didn't do any lunges or squats. Now I do one slow lunge on each side, holding the arms of a chair. I can't go all the way down. I breathe deeply in the pose.

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and that you are all healing well, in your own time frame. See you in a couple of days. Same Bat time, same Bat channel (Remember that?)
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! I had an idea what your stove and fridge look like and Googled them. Those are sharp! I love the vintage look appliances, and it definitely fits in with the mental picture I have of your home.
I remember seeing Ina Garten using pansies as a garnish for a dish and mentioning that they're edible. I've never tasted one though, but intend to do so. :)
While I didn't know that it is called hydrotherapy, I definitely hear you about the hot to cold thing and its healing powers. When we lived in Germany, my friends and I would go to the frankentherme in the nearby town of Bad Windsheim. They were huge into the hot to cold method. They had several different natural pools of varying salinity, and except for two that were strictly indoors, the others were outside and were extremely popular in the winter time. It was unbelievably invigorating to soak and swim in those pools and then sit in the frosty air. A day at the frankentherme felt like a 2 week vacation to me. :)
The gym and yoga sound wonderful, as did the shopping. I'm glad you had a good time and it wasn't too crowded or crazy being Black Friday.

Have a terrific evening, friend. The hot chocolate sounds heavenly. :)
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! your home sounds so cozy! I love older homes as well - they have so much character. I have never seen a pink fridge but I bet that looks just perfect in your kitchen. I don't blame you for wanting to spend a lot of time in your kitchen; it sounds very comfy & inviting.

Congrats on surviving Black Friday! I normally avoid shopping today and now I remember why - it is a madhouse with so many people everywhere, blocking the aisles with their carts and lines a mile long. There sure are some great deals to be had though, and it's always a good feeling to get things you needed anyway but get them at a bargain. Glad you were able to find a few of the items you wanted.

To update your avatar, just upload a Christmas picture to your computer, then go to your Profile Page on here, click on your Avatar, and then click Browse to find the picture you had uploaded to your computer. Save it and you're done...I love this time of year so was just kind of in the mood for something fun. :)
 
@Hipster Girl, I did it! Thanks for your help. I was having trouble, because I didn't know how to upload or download an avatar. I was just missing one step...how to save it. I googled it and learned I just needed to right click. So easy. I love the grinch, too. He makes me chuckle. I love your Charlie Brown one. All this brings back good memories.

I know, I normally don't shop on Black Friday, but T.J. Maxx wasn't crowded at all. I'm glad I went and picked up what I needed. I still may buy a set of flannel sheets for my bed. I like being nice and warm in the winter. My new pajamas were so soft and snuggly last night. Oh, I think you asked me what color my blanket that I'm knitting is. It's a pale pink. The duvet cover has beige, gold, olive green, light pink, and light blue in it. So, the colors compliment each other nicely...

@DeepBreath, Yeah, those appliances were a definite splurge. The stove is really well made, and should last forever. I just love cooking on it. I made a nice chicken broth today, with my Thanksgiving chicken carcass. I'll use it for cream of broccoli soup and potato leek soup.

I used to go to the sauna bads in Germany, too. I found it so rejuvenating! My hips were kind of sore today. I'm not sure why. It was mild, but I'd like to figure out what I did that aggravated them. I swam yesterday. That might have been it. I think I'll back off the machines and go back to my extra gentle yoga. That seemed to be the best. I'll do the easy PT set of exercises, too.

Today I put out my Christmas decorations. All I need to do is light the outside of the house. My Christmas lights are several years old, and they're not up to speed anymore. I'll go buy new ones tomorrow. (that work.) I have a couple of evergreens that I planted that flank my doorway. It looks pretty if I decorate them with colored lights. My cottage is too small for a tree inside.

I wasn't going to post today, but I was so excited about my new Avatar I just had to write something! Hope all's well with my fellow THR survivors!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Hip Hip Hooray! I LOVE your new avatar! The Grinch is one of my favorites...too cute!!

The new blanket sounds really pretty - great color choice with the duvet cover. Your post reminded me I need to get some flannel sheets also. I always use flannel sheets in the winter but I have a new bed this year so my old flannel sheets don't fit. I didn't even think to look yesterday when I was out. Maybe I will have to shop for some on Cyber Monday :eyebrows:

I saw a commercial for Star Shower Laser Lights and they looked interesting. $39.95 and they light up your whole house, no more hanging lights, or high electric bills around Christmas. All you do is plug them in and point them at the house or landscape or wherever. Anyway, I bought them this year but have to get my son to set it up. I am anxious to see how they work. The lights look really pretty on their infomercial so we shall see..
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! I love your avatar! You and @Hipster Girl inspired me! We're makin' the joint look festive! :)
I'll bet your stove does last forever. Those things are built to last. Yum about the homemade broth. There really is nothing better and it doesn't that long to make just a ton of it that can be frozen and used whenever you need it.
Potato leek soup...that sounds so delicious right now. Maybe my appetite is starting to come back.
The bads in Germany are amazing. I'm definitely going to miss that this winter.
I'm sorry your hips are hurting you. I imagine this will be something we will deal with throughout our lives. Our bodies hurt at times, even if the parts are brand new. The surrounding tissues and muscles will get aggravated from time to time and will likely worry us. I hope it settles down and that you're pain free soon.
I'll bet your little cottage looks so lovely and cozy with the decorations up! I love this time of year. I'm hoping we can get ours up sometime this week while the hubs is off work.

Take good care of yourself, friend. :)
 
Yay @DeepBreath and @Hip Hip Hooray! we are rockin' the joint with these new avatars, aren't we? :egypdance:
All this festivity is definitely putting me in the Christmas spirit! :loveshwr:

@Hip Hip Hooray! I find I am using Google a lot when I read some of your posts because I am learning so many new things from your posts. I looked up your appliances and wow, are those ever cool! I had no idea those were even on the market. The colors on the Big Chill website are so unique & FUN & I just love the pink that you got - that is the cutest fridge I have ever seen! What color is your stove? I wish I could see a picture of your cottage. I love the retro style - it takes me back to a simpler time in a similar way to how this surgery has. I have found that being off work and having to focus on recovery has forced me to slow down and make me less hurried and more reflective and I am finding I appreciate even the simplest of things so much more.

I hope your hips are feeling better today. Like @DeepBreath said, maybe this is something we are going to have to deal with on & off when we aggravate the surrounding muscles & tissues. I think as long as we listen to our bodies as you do, then we will be fine.
Hope you have a good day today! :flwrysmile:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom