THR Arthroscopic hip bursectomy post THR?

Your healing prayers are most welcome this morning. I finally realized this might be a long term chronic condition. A major part of my problem was the inability to believe this could be permanent. I made a decision this morning not to go back to work for the remainder of the school term. It would only accelerate this condition and I need to focus on continuing to heal and feel better. Your sound advice is exactly what I’ll be doing starting today. I’m actually so relieved I made this decision. Walking to the ocean later today, listening to my favorite music and having a peaceful week ahead should do wonders for my body and spirits. I am more concerned right now about the side effects I’m having as a result of the injection. Whatever he put in this”cocktail” of meds is really wrecking havoc on my body. But perhaps since it appears to be a more powerful concoction, maybe I’ll have a longer period of relief from inflammation. I suppose the nerve damage and numbness is here to stay but as you mentioned, a small price to pay.
I’m really happy to hear your doing do well and it gives me some hope, which I really need right now. I was looking for a quick cure for this condition and there is none. I really hope PT, walking each day and having some time to relax away from work this summer will be the tonic needed to get well.

There is sure a lot going on for you, @Nyc1961. Sounds like a really good idea to take time off work; I'm hoping it will move things in the right direction.

I'm interested to hear that the cortisone injection is producing such strong and prolonged side effects, since I may well have one in my future. Sounds like it is relieving the pain, though?

Good morning,
Right now, I could kiss the surgeon who administered the injection. Today is the first day I’ve been mainly pain free in nine months! I guess he did honor my request for a vodka martini! However, as I previously stated, the side effects for five days were horrific.

I never experienced anything like that in prior injections. Maybe it’s the type of corticosteroid he used; the way he did the injection (more pain than I ever had before) or perhaps having three injections since April had something to do with side effects. I had one in my lumbar spine in April by an urgent care spine dr. to rule out pain coming from my spine, which two hip surgeons and my neurosurgeon finally said was not the source of pain. My operating surgeon gave me an injection on May 7 which did absolutely nothing for my trochanter bursitis except cause the usual side effects. I know this was too much in a short period of time. The maximum is no more than three injections in one joint and I’m keeping my fingers crossed this one will keep inflammation away for awhile.

Starting PT Saturday which is necessary so I’m cautiously optimistic. Some slight pain in my groin and of course the thigh numbness but way better right now!! I could go into graphic detail about the side effects this time but I would not want that to deter you from getting an injection. Everyone reacts differently and unfortunately, I had a very rough frightening few days. Also, living alone doesn’t help. It’s difficult to keep dark thoughts away when there is no one there to comfort and reassure you.

What’s really concerning me the most right now is radiating angina type pain in my neck and jaw that comes and goes since the injection. I am going to call my cardiologist and ask him about that. Something tells me it’s the meds and perhaps all the stress of the past several weeks, going to three different drs. and all the non stop tests I’ve recently had. I don’t have any cardiac issues except tachycardia which I’ve always had and saw my cardiologist for comprehensive tests before surgery in August and everything was good! But elevated bp, glucose and many other side effects are still with me. I need to go for labs, lipids profile, thyroid and CBC tests but I need to ask my dr how long to wait before receiving these tests since the corticosteroid injection raises glucose and bad cholesterol levels for awhile.

So that’s the up to date on my experience. Suffice to say, at this moment I’m beyond happy to have some relief but really hope this very powerful cocktail he gave me did not cause any permanent damage in other areas. Now need to work on my poor weakened glutes and hope I can get a little stronger. There are no easy solutions and despite always taking care of myself, the aging process is inevitable; that’s been the hardest for me to process during the entire nine months. I’m excited at the prospect of walking to the beach later without pain; a real treat!

I hope you will feel much better soon and please keep me posted about whether you decide to get the corticosteroid injection. If it works, it’s worth it! But again, I have no illusions about how long I’ll get relief and PT is mandatory. Some of the lucky few get permanent relief from trochanter bursitis but with all my degenerative and weakened glutes, piriformis, psoas and scar tissue issues, no way of predicting outcomes right now. Laughing earlier while having breakfast reading about DBS (dead butt syndrome). Who knew this was all about me!

Take care and I hope you have a peaceful good day!

Hi Sashimu,
Was thinking about you and hope you are doing much better! I asked the surgeon who administered the corticosteroid injection what cocktail he used and he mailed a complete report to me; 80 mg of Kenalog, plus Marcaine and Lidocaine. It’s a very powerful corticosteroid and slow releasing so perhaps that explains the side effects which are still bothersome. I’m very grateful to be feeling well except I really overdid my walking and now dealing with shin splints and pain behind both knees; totally self inflicted so I will now back off my zealous over the top walking! I was really pushing it and doing 3.6 miles for a few days, plus nearing my goal of 9.000 steps; what was I thinking? I also developed a bakers cyst behind my knee on the operative side and will continue to monitor that but right now, it’s not painful, only swells after walking too much. I definitely had brief amnesia and in my excitement at having relief of pain, received a quick sobering reminder that I am still in recovery mode, even though it’s been 9 months. Started PT and still have to work on stretching the IT Band and getting stronger but I have learned this past week how important it is to listen to my body telling me to slow down!! Wishing you a very good week and hoping your recovery will continue to improve each day!

So glad to hear you have had some pain free days!!!! My glutes are still really weak...but my whole body is SO out of shape..I used to be in great shape and could carry 50 lb. horse feed, work on my farm all day and feel great. Today, I get tired easily, cannot carry a feed bag very far, and my legs are weak. Still exercising so I'll get the muscle tone back. Take care of yourself, and hopefully the injection will last forever!!!

Oh yes, those glutes, tendons and muscles who keep reminding me every day that they are no longer young and after being left alone for so years, very unhappy at being disturbed, stretched and moved around during surgery My challenge every day is now focusing on acceptance, something I’m still having difficulty to comprehend. With most surgical procedures, you’re usually back to normal anywhere from 6 to 8 weeks. Of course, I have painfully discovered a joint replacement procedure is life altering, even with positive results. It truly does take a year, despite what the overly optimistic surgeons tell you. I feel completely different in so many areas. Like you, loss of strength and energy is hard to deal with, especially if you’re OCD. LOL I used to be a night owl and now, I can barely stay up until 9:00pm! I keep wondering, who is this person?
Well, back to the word acceptance and stick in gratitude! I am so grateful that at this moment, trochanter bursitis is better and all I have is this day; so might as well be happy and try not to think too much; another challenge for me! I’m less sore today and no marathon walks are on my agenda for awhile until these poor muscles recover from my abuse.
I’m going for a Dexascan this morning and will find out if osteopenia has progressed.
So thank you again for your words of encouragement and let’s hope each day keeps bringing us more energy and strength, even if it’s in small increments. My therapist keeps tell me, it’s not a sprint, but a marathon; needs repeating by me every day!

Hi I was just reading your post and just wanted to stop in and say I also have severe trochanter bursitis and tendonitis as well Piriformis Syndrome on my right side after my THR. That is what I also expected for my recovery also,. So we are definitely all different and good luck and warm wishes

For me, every day is a new opportunity to overdo it :) .. but I'm trying my best not to.

Almost hate to say it (fear of jinxing myself), but I'm doing slightly better.

I totally hear you, @Nyc1961, on the importance of acceptance. It is so hard to accept things the way they are, even temporarily, but it's essential. When I feel the pain, I immediately have a knee-jerk negative mental response, and instead of losing myself in it, I try to just observe it. Seems it often dissipates when I do that. I'm really grateful that I'm not obsessing as much about my situation, though like you and @hopnfox, I sure can't do the things I used to do. I guess that's how I'm practicing acceptance.

So glad to hear you're getting some pain relief. I haven't done anything about getting in touch with my surgeon; guess I should! Hoping for steadily better days for us all!

Last edited:
This has been a day to forget, if that’s possible. I called 911 this morning and spent six hours in the ER. All the horrific symptoms I’ve been experiencing since my cocktail of corticosteroids worsened and my BP, heart rate and intermittent chest pains, plus fatigue were so frightening. After the usual lab tests, EKG and chest X-ray, everything looked pretty normal except for glucose and bun levels which I expected due to the corticosteroid. The ER physician feels the Kenalog is the culprit causing all the misery for the past two weeks. But still having pain relief from the dreadful trochanter bursitis; however, my other arthritis hip is now swollen for the past few days. I know I caused this to occur because I pushed too hard with my walking! Again, acceptance not coming easily for me but perhaps this is a real wake up call to face reality. On thing I’m certain about; no more Kenalog injections ever!! I don’t know how long I’ll have relief from pain. Perhaps I’ll be one of the lucky few and it will disappear completely. So I’d better start being grateful for each day that I have a reprieve from pain.
Will be thinking of you and sending wishes that you continue to feel better each day! I was so happy to hear that you’re experiencing some improvement. Grateful for the support you and hopnfox have given me; it really does make a difference!!

Thank you, @Nyc1961...I hope you've recovered from the ER experience. Not a place you want to spend any time! Sounds like the corticosteroid injection is really a mixed blessing; something to consider, if it's offered to me. Sure hope you are still getting pain relief from it, at least.

My improvement is so minimal that I keep asking myself, am I really any better? But I've got a call with my surgeon tomorrow and I'll be asking for some soft tissue imaging. Seems like it's past time to try to get an actual diagnosis here!

Hello Sashimu,

Good for you to ask your surgeon about ordering some tests for soft tissue imaging! If I learned anything over the past nine months, it’s not be intimidated and feel as though I’m bothering my surgeon. I was raised in an era where I was a “good little girl” and always believed doctors, especially surgeons were God! I finally have grown up and this experience was illuminating and I will never let any doctor intimidate me again!!

This journey has been so stressful but I have learned that surgeons generally are narcissistic and have huge egos. Once they’re done with their procedure, they do not wish to be bothered or questioned about anything, if problems arise post surgery.

It wasn’t until I saw a second surgeon that he finally ordered a barrage of additional tests; he started to get nervous! I finally had some answers and relief of pain when I saw the third surgeon and also received some answers to the jigsaw puzzle.
I’m so sorry you are feeling as though you are not progressing at this point but perhaps with additional tests, you’ll have some answers and also get some peace of mind knowing you’re doing everything you can to progress in your recovery and start to feel better; you deserve nothing less!

I’m doing so much better after a difficult and scary month. Yesterday and today were very good days but I did pay a visit to urgent care late Friday afternoon. It was a horrible intestinal problem and the physician reviewed all the information from the hospital ER and he also felt this new problem was directly related to the Kenalog injection. I thought I had a stomach virus and he explained again how this powerful corticosteroid weakens your immune system and affects every part of your body. I am so grateful that I still have relief from trochanter bursitis but what a cost to pay!

I wake up every morning wondering if and when it will return but for now, enormously grateful and joyful that I was able to walk the past few days in the beautiful California sunshine. I fully realize that I need to appreciate every day I feel well and not think too much, easier said than done. I’m going back to PT on Saturday and see how that goes. I know everyone reacts differently to medication but I will never have another Kenalog injection again! I hope your surgeon will order additional tests and hopefully, you’ll finally have some additional information and answers to all your questions.

Stay strong and and know I am thinking of you and sending all my best wishes to you every day and hoping you feel much better very soon!

Thinking of you and hoping you are feeling much better and were able to get a response from your surgeon. Today, I’m feeling glum and I tried to cheer myself up with some new aromatherapy candles, listened to music and watched some of my favorite movies; all of that didn’t make the doldrums disappear. I still have a reprieve from my bursitis and I’m so grateful about that but the other problems caused by the Kenalog are still causing misery. Also, knee and shoulder issues have returned to add discomfort to my life. I have partial rotator cuff tears in my shoulder and arthritis in both knees; was diagnosed four years ago with those problems. I had therapy for my shoulder and it hasn’t bothered me until the past few weeks and I’m just depressed thinking that all these joints seem to be giving out at the same time. I also received the results of my Dexascan and the osteopenia is much worse in my lumbar spine.
Any suggestions as to how to get my sense of humor back and push the negative thoughts away? To go through major surgery and the daily ups and downs of constantly battling to get well and remain optimistic are so exhausting. Sorry to whine on a Friday evening; just needed to get this out of my system. Thanks for all the ongoing support! Hoping tomorrow will be a better day. PT scheduled but wish I could have have one day without these unpleasant constant reminders of the aging process. As I mentioned in a previous post, I need to keep working on acceptance and gratitude; no easy task!! Wishing everyone a happy and pain free weekend!

Hi @Nyc1961
Yes, this getting older business has its struggles.:unsure:
Osteopenia is prevalent with aging and makes us more aware of how we need to be conscious of what we consume to give our body the best tools for keeping ourselves in better health and stave off osteoporosis.
I try to ensure I am getting plenty of calcium and protein and Vitamin D.

I like to get my D from the good old Sun:SUNsmile:
Helps my mood also....however 100 degrees has been a bit intense this week.:nah:
I hope you can find some blessings to concentrate on....that is my go-to mood lifter.
I can share this funny story....
While visiting my stepmom in assisted living home, I asked her friend, 91-year-old Annie, “Miss Annie, what were your good old days?” Her thoughtful reply: “When I wasn’t good, and I wasn’t old.”
:heehee:

Hope you have a better day today

That story says it all and did bring a smile when I read her comments; thank you for sharing! It is a difficult time to navigate all the pitfalls of aging, almost like being in a maze with no escape.

i just returned from PT and fortunate to have such a wonderful therapist who listened to me this morning and was very positive regarding my progress so far. She agreed that swelling is mainly gone, along with trochanter bursitis. Next week, we’ll finally concentrate on strengthening exercises. As for new/old orthopedic problems, one day at a time, and what she stressed again, try and concentrate on what we can control. Intellectually I understand this; dealing with it emotionally is a huge challenge for me.

So happy I only have one dr. appointment this week and fairly certain I finally need to have cataract surgery, another common aging issue. It’s been an incredibly stressful few weeks and hoping to not have any trips to the ER for a long time! Kenalog injection obviously worked but can’t wait until all of that powerful steroid is out of my system.

Be well and have a good weekend!

I also wanted to ask you what your thoughts are regarding the drugs available for osteopenia. I’ve never been able to take any of them due to GERD and after reading about Prolia over the years, decided not to consider that treatment either. My hip surgeon also agreed and said he would never give any of those medications to his mother! I always have been very careful about what I eat and have been taking vitamin D for years; however, bring Caucasian, small bone structure and only 117 pounds makes me more susceptible to thinning bones, plus I’ve been taking thyroid medication since I was 28years old; another risk factor. Oh well, there is just so much kale, almonds and walnuts a person can consume! LOL So maybe just enjoy each day and not think about tomorrow.

Weight bearing exercises can help offset osteopenia. Ask your physician if these would be appropriate.

Wow, @Nyc1961 you really do have a lot going on! It's totally normal to feel overwhelmed at times with negative thoughts when you have so many problems. For myself, I've been struggling for years (this is just the latest episode of chronic pain) with the seemingly unchangeable relationship between pain and mood--when pain goes up, mood gets dark. Almost impossible to shift, which is when I turn to Buddhist teachings about how to find peace regardless of circumstances.

I also have osteopenia, and my understanding has been that taking osteoporosis drugs (which I would be very reluctant to do in any case) when you don't actually score in the osteoporosis range may well be overkill. My doctor has not suggested that I take them. Have a look at https://www.health.harvard.edu/wome...when-you-have-weak-bones-but-not-osteoporosis. The alternate treatment strategy, along with diet, is weight-bearing exercise, as Sisterpat mentioned. I know you do a lot of walking so that's really good.

Hope the stress and pain ease for you soon, and wishing for more acceptance and gratitude for us both!

Hello,
Yes, I have a lot going on right now and scheduled my first cataract surgery for July 29 and the second one sometime in August. Your statement about the correlation between pain and mood is something I also am dealing with every day. I’m going to research Buddhist teachings too! At this point, I’ll try anything to alleviate a dark mood which came back with a vengeance. I was so happy to have achieved some relief from my trochanter bursitis and IT Band issues and was almost euphoric at being pain free, especially after my nightmare few weeks dealing with the horrible side effects of the Kenalog injection. My happiness is now gone since trochanter bursitis has returned, exactly one month since the injection! I was hoping for a miracle that I would have permanent relief but I knew the chances were slim since the injection just takes away the inflammation. I walked yesterday and today but I can feel pain and swelling increasing. I have PT tomorrow and feel so hopeless right now. I know this was all caused by the hip replacement and my anger at the surgeon, which may or may not be justified is beyond anything I have felt towards another person in many years. I know it is not good for my body or mind to have these thoughts so I’m going to watch a happy movie after this post and really try to get rid of these awful feelings. I even started thinking about a bursectomy which I know would get rid of this condition permanently. The bursa do grow back but without the inflammation; that’s how crazy my thoughts are right now; anger level is off the charts. Of course, that’s the last resort but I’m disgusted with the prospect of PT forever and my instincts tell me it’s not going to cure this miserable condition. I do know I will never consider another injection. The prospect of another trip to the ER and going through that hell again is my worst nightmare; all for a few pain free weeks! At this moment, I really regret having that surgery. If I hear one more person tell me how great they’re doing, I will just start screaming.

I also agree with your thoughts about the meds for osteopenia; no way! But if I can’t continue to walk, how can I get stronger? I’m unable to lift weights because I have three partial rotator cuff tears and I certainly don’t want to wind up having shoulder surgery. I’m careful about my diet and know at least I have some control over that aspect of my life. The whole situation is ridiculous and so sad. None of us should have to deal with chronic pain. Well, soon I’ll have two new artificial lenses in my eyes and I sure hope I’m not one of a few that have complications. I have a long way to go for total acceptance and gratitude; not doing well at all!

Hello again,
I had previously read that article but appreciate your sending this to me. My t score is not good, particularly the lumbar spine which went from -1.9 to -.2.4 in two years. The rest are about the same but this is the only one which is now -2.4. It’s upsetting since my fracture risk for spine and right hip is very high. I just switched to a new PCP and like this physician much better. However, my prior dr. was insisting on injections since I’m unable to take any of the pills due to GERD. Ultimately, it’s my decision and I’ve decided not to take Prolia. I know the risk involved but after all the research I’ve done, I’m not got take that drug; no way! After getting a real education on what corticosteroids can do to your body, the thought of terrible side effects from this drug is beyond frightening. Another reminder of the aging process.

Sashimu, thank you so much for your ongoing kindness and words of encouragement! I am hoping you will also receive some answers very soon as to why you’re not improving. Just a thought - if you’re not confident in what your surgeon is telling you, get another opinion. Always trust your instincts! It wasn’t easy for me to do that and it took visits to two surgeons before I felt secure that I was finally getting the right answers. I only wish I had chosen this dr first. Don’t let any surgeon bully or intimidate you! I discovered that surgeons do not have great communication skills so we have to be our own advocate. And if one or two drs.aren’t giving you answers, move on!

Sending you all my best wishes for a very good weekend and really hoping you have less pain soon!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
OsteoBionicGal
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom