Good morning,
Right now, I could kiss the surgeon who administered the injection. Today is the first day I’ve been mainly pain free in nine months! I guess he did honor my request for a vodka martini! However, as I previously stated, the side effects for five days were horrific.
I never experienced anything like that in prior injections. Maybe it’s the type of corticosteroid he used; the way he did the injection (more pain than I ever had before) or perhaps having three injections since April had something to do with side effects. I had one in my lumbar spine in April by an urgent care spine dr. to rule out pain coming from my spine, which two hip surgeons and my neurosurgeon finally said was not the source of pain. My operating surgeon gave me an injection on May 7 which did absolutely nothing for my trochanter bursitis except cause the usual side effects. I know this was too much in a short period of time. The maximum is no more than three injections in one joint and I’m keeping my fingers crossed this one will keep inflammation away for awhile.
Starting PT Saturday which is necessary so I’m cautiously optimistic. Some slight pain in my groin and of course the thigh numbness but way better right now!! I could go into graphic detail about the side effects this time but I would not want that to deter you from getting an injection. Everyone reacts differently and unfortunately, I had a very rough frightening few days. Also, living alone doesn’t help. It’s difficult to keep dark thoughts away when there is no one there to comfort and reassure you.
What’s really concerning me the most right now is radiating angina type pain in my neck and jaw that comes and goes since the injection. I am going to call my cardiologist and ask him about that. Something tells me it’s the meds and perhaps all the stress of the past several weeks, going to three different drs. and all the non stop tests I’ve recently had. I don’t have any cardiac issues except tachycardia which I’ve always had and saw my cardiologist for comprehensive tests before surgery in August and everything was good! But elevated bp, glucose and many other side effects are still with me. I need to go for labs, lipids profile, thyroid and CBC tests but I need to ask my dr how long to wait before receiving these tests since the corticosteroid injection raises glucose and bad cholesterol levels for awhile.
So that’s the up to date on my experience. Suffice to say, at this moment I’m beyond happy to have some relief but really hope this very powerful cocktail he gave me did not cause any permanent damage in other areas. Now need to work on my poor weakened glutes and hope I can get a little stronger. There are no easy solutions and despite always taking care of myself, the aging process is inevitable; that’s been the hardest for me to process during the entire nine months. I’m excited at the prospect of walking to the beach later without pain; a real treat!
I hope you will feel much better soon and please keep me posted about whether you decide to get the corticosteroid injection. If it works, it’s worth it! But again, I have no illusions about how long I’ll get relief and PT is mandatory. Some of the lucky few get permanent relief from trochanter bursitis but with all my degenerative and weakened glutes, piriformis, psoas and scar tissue issues, no way of predicting outcomes right now. Laughing earlier while having breakfast reading about DBS (dead butt syndrome). Who knew this was all about me!
Take care and I hope you have a peaceful good day!