Guest viewing is limited

THR Arthroscopic hip bursectomy post THR?

Oh I'm so sorry to hear this, @Nyc1961, truly truly sorry.... I know I'd feel scared and desperate too after hearing something like that, with nary a ray of hope to be gotten from it.

I don't have any ideas to offer but you are in my thoughts and I'm hoping that you will find some comfort and ease, somehow.
 
I really appreciate your caring. Living alone doesn’t help the situation. Lots of anxiety right now.
 
I live alone too, so I get that. My friends have been really supportive, but this has been dragging on a a lot longer than we thought it would. I hate to keep calling on them so I wind up doing things that I probably shouldn't be doing, since I'm supposed to be resting my hip.

But besides that, when you're on your own it seems a lot easier for the mind to go to dark places and focus on the worst possibilities.

Not sure if you put any stock in meditation practices but I've found just sitting and watching my breath can sometimes help.
 
Following along and praying for relief for you. I know too well, as many of us, that stress seems to inflame pains we already have.

Sometimes watching an old movie and trying to relax or something can take our minds off, but not to any great degree.

I'm hoping someone else comes along and posts up that lives alone too, that's a whole world outside of what I've known... I've been married a long time, and although I do many activities alone, and we're both pretty independent, and my wife and I have our own interests, I can't imagine going through this by myself. Mind you, I like my "me" time... but this is tough stuff.

At least you have some direction and possibly some answers, and you're lumbar system is intact. Therein is a blessing. Keep plugging away... and thanks for the report. Let's hope you wake up in the morning at some point and take a deep breath and it's doing better. You've got many people rooting for you. :)
 
My mind is in a dark place right now. I’m physically and mentally exhausted. I finally called my surgeon and he decided to pick up the call. It was not a pleasant conversation and he did get very defensive. He knows the surgeon I saw today and I told him I’m going to get a third opinion. He knows that surgeon too and said to get as many opinions as I want. I guess they have huge egos, probably necessary for them to pursue surgery but the arrogance is upsetting and heartbreaking. I asked about an MRI of my hip and pelvis, asked him about that weeks ago and he never responded. Tonight he said “I do have other things going on” So much for following up on patients in constant pain. Now he also suggested having a nuclear scan with contrast so all drs. I see, including him, will have every bit of information. When I mentioned the fact that bone has not grown in implant and it’s been 8 months, he didn’t have an answer. He did agree with the surgeon today who said it usually takes two months. I know I’m rambling right now; can’t seem to concentrate at all.
 
Thanks so much! Just heard from Sashimu and it was helpful. She also lives alone and meditation may help but right now I’m frazzled; can’t even think straight. The last post regarding the conversation I had with my surgeon earlier just brought me to tears.
 
A nuclear scan will allow them to see if there is increased metabolic activity, which may help pinpoint why you are in such pain.
Relaxation breathing can be calming along with meditation.

Hope you are feeling better tomorrow,
 
It’s been quite a day! My original surgeon had a conversation with the surgeon I saw yesterday. I gathered from the conversations, there is definitely a good old boys syndrome between surgeons!! He did finally ask his scheduler to authorize an MRI and nuclear bone scan. Haven’t heard back from her yet but usually takes several phone calls to finally get tests scheduled. The second surgeon backed off some of the things he mentioned and can only imagine the conversation that took place between them. But what is so distressing is the fact that my surgeon never bothered to mention the fact that there is a failure of in growth of the cup. All I ever heard from him was that the implant was fine. I now wonder if he ever bothered to look at the X-rays. Why did it take me having to schedule an appointment with another surgeon to hear about this 8 months after surgery? He said it’s a very rare occurrence and I hope the tests can find out why this has happened. I won’t even ask what will be done to fix this; too much to absorb right now. In the meantime, I scheduled a third appointment with a hip surgeon that my surgeon prefers over the second surgeon, has more experience. However, reviews state he’s arrogant; lucky me! But perhaps between three surgeons and tests, I may finally have some answers to this nightmare. I haven’t slept in 24 hours.
 
Sheesh! Hopefully somebody in this picture has your best interests as their priority! Still, having access to additional opinions is a good thing. As I mentioned in my own thread, ALL the orthopedic surgeons in my city are in the same office... Not sure what I'll do if/ when I want another opinion.
 
I really think you need to find someone completely separate from your current surgeon even if it means traveling a ways @Nyc1961. I certainly wouldn't see a surgeon that my original OS (who I now have questions about) recommended.
 
I know Lyrica is CRAZY expensive. Ask them for gabepentin....It works and is affordable!
 
I agree with FCBayern. You need to see a surgeon who has no connection at all, professional or social with your current surgeon and his colleagues.
That's because you need someone who will look at your problems with completely new eyes, and who won't be influenced by the opinions of other surgeons.

That's the only way you'll get a completely independent opinion.
 
He knows the surgeon I saw today and I told him I’m going to get a third opinion. He knows that surgeon too


I really think you need to find someone completely separate from your current surgeon even if it means traveling a ways @Nyc1961. I certainly wouldn't see a surgeon that my original OS (who I now have questions about) recommended.
I agree with FCBayern. You need to see a surgeon who has no connection at all, professional or social with your current surgeon and his colleagues.
That's because you need someone who will look at your problems with completely new eyes, and who won't be influenced by the opinions of other surgeons.

That's the only way you'll get a completely independent opinion.

I, also, agree you should seek a completely independent opinion.

I haven’t had a hip replaced, but I had a partial knee replacement, and totally believed all the hype about how quick and easy the recovery would be. It’s been more than 4 years and I am still worse off than I was before my surgery.

Second opinions are not fun, I’ve had two. I had my surgery in Delaware. My first second opinion was in the Philadelphia, PA area, and my second, second opinion was in the Baltimore, MD area. Both about a 2 hour ride from me. Unfortunately, neither of them were of any help to me.

Like you, I didn’t expect this to happen to me. I had this surgery to feel better, not worse.

I do hope you find a surgeon who can help you. Please consider going out of your area. I don’t think seeing another surgeon who knows the others is the answer.
 
I realize my post to you wasn’t very encouraging, and I’m sorry about that, but I just wanted you to know that you are not alone in your disappointment and frustration.

I did want to encourage you to seek out an opinion from a surgeon who doesn’t know your current ones. I think you’ll have a better chance of finding a solution that way.
 
I definitely agree with everyone about this advice. I live in Southern California, home to many great surgeons. However, they all seem to know one another even though they’re in different cities. Some trained at the same teaching hospitals; others attend similar orthopedic conferences and the surgeon I saw yesterday told me he worked on some cases with my doctor! If I had the resources, I would fly to NYC and choose a great doctor at HSS. I did call this morning and spoke at length to their referral department. They are first class and it’s easy to see why they are number 1 in the country. She explained that most of the drs would not even review clinical tests because it’s still not a year since surgery. However, she suggested a few drs and told me to call each one. They may work around this rule and agree to a virtual appointment. It depends on the individual dr. So I am going to call a few of them tomorrow. In the meantime, my drs scheduler was supposed to fax the authorizations for the tests to the hospital close to my home. Even though they all know each other, once the test results are read, I can’t believe I won’t receive an honest diagnosis from one of the three; at least I hope so. Pain is increasing and I need to go back to work tomorrow so it’s Tramadol tonight. Haven’t slept in almost 24 hours. I will call my dr and ask for gabapentin instead of lyrica. Thanks for the suggestion. I took that years ago and remember some unpleasant side effects but if it stops the creepy crawly sensation and burning pain in my leg, it will be worth it
 
I’m almost afraid to receive an answer to this question. Does anyone know the solution to not having in growth of bone to the hip cup? Is this going to mean revision surgery? I also asked my uncaring surgeon about the femoral nerve damage which also is worsening every day. He told me all his patients recover from this painful condition but it usually takes a year. Somehow I don’t believe him. The prospect of taking gabapentin or lyrica does not sound very appealing. I wonder how many people suffer from this because of having anterior hip replacement and is it yet another problem caused by surgeon negligence.
 
Sorry you have so many questions that have not been answered. For the bony ingrowth, there are some bone growth stimulators available, but I do not know if they use them for hip replacements. Suspect a revision would be the recommendation.

HSS does provide consultations for troubled joints, the fee is about $500. You might want to ask about it for an independent opinion.

Your surgeon is right, it takes about a year for a nerve to grow back.

I hope the gabapentin gives you some relief from the nerve pain.
 
I hope revision surgery will not be necessary.All I can do right now is schedule the tests and wait to hear the results. I’m terrified at the prospect of another surgery but obviously, since no in growth has occurred, it sounds pretty serious. At that point, I definitely will contact HSS. No way would I go near this surgeon again. Still wish I had a definitive answer as to why this happened.
 
Nyc1961,
Sorry you are having to go through this long testing and waiting for answers and possible treatments for your painful left hip.
I agree with you about finding another surgeon, and contacting HSS for their opinion about your hip.
 
@Nyc1961, haven't heard from you in a few days. Hoping you have gotten your tests scheduled, at the least, and are a step or two closer to getting some answers, and that the pain situation has improved.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom