Guest viewing is limited

THR Are We There Yet?

Miserable, miserable morning out there--sheets of steady rain, a bit of wind. Ugh. Gotta get dressed shortly and drive over to PT and give these hips a workout. Not excited about this, but after my slug-like day yesterday, doing absolutely nothing and reading and falling asleep in my chair, it's time to resume a more active routine. Post PT, will hoof it to the grocery store and then home to do laundry and shower. Going out late this afternoon for happy hour to celebrate a friend's December birthday so a fairly busy day. Looking outside my study window I do see--gasp--a bit of blue sky finally. Not sure it will stay, but a cheery sight at the moment. Happy Tuesday!
 
Sounds like a very busy day! Hope you can build in a little down time as well. This time of year can be exhausting!

I'd offer to send you come blue sky but I haven't seen any all day. Rain and grey skies. It's now 4:30PM and totally dark. Hate these short days!

Enjoy your Tuesday!
 
Pitch dark here. Loads of rain. Journey home involved lots of surface water flooding and two accidents I passed in the way. Horrible.

2 hours later still raining.

Barbara you are very good to go to the gym. I am not going anywhere!
 
@Barbaraj Sounds like you are getting some glimpses of sun showers!! After I went out for my walk, the skies darkened and I had to turn out all the lights inside....I thought that was it for the day, and now it has lightened up again! Where ever you are, stay dry!
 
Hi @Barbaraj I hope that you or your family haven't been affected by yesterday's tornado in Seattle. I know you were planning a holiday party, so hope that your lack of posts are due to the latter, vs. the former! Thinking of you and hoping all is well with your hip, home and family!

:flwrysmile:
 
It's afternoon here in the PNW. It's not a great day out there, but it's not raining, a bit plus in my book. I've had a productive day so far. Hoofed off to the gym for 45 minutes on the elliptical, and moved up the resistance and incline by one number each, and feel pretty good. I am happy to report that I got discharged from PT yesterday. They said I'm doing great and it's really all on me from now on--be diligent about doing the home PT exercises, and continue to work on increasing my cardio fitness levels. I will admit I loved PT--the structure, the regular assessment and feedback, plus the lovely heat or cold pack at the end, with the electrical stim device, ahhh. But, all good things must come to an end and I have my marching orders moving forward.

Holiday party tonight at our house so I've been polishing display silver, putting our glasses, napkins and plates, and stashing additional holiday guest towels in the bathroom. Everyone supplies an appetizer (roasted baby potatoes with a garlic dill dipping sauce for mine) and a bottle of wine. Should be a fun evening, although I'll be on my feet for most of it. But, hey, it's the holiday season and being exhausted and achy is de rigueur, right? Okay, off to continue tidying and setting up--happy hump day!
 
PS @Alitm, the tornado was to the west of us, a good distance--but scary photos on the evening news last night!
 
Oh, what a l-o-n-g day! It started out much too early when I woke up at 4:00 AM with a foot cramp, and had to hobble around our bedroom in the dark, while my husband snoozed obliviously. Worked the cramp out, crawled back into bed, and after a while finally got back to sleep. Then it was up for good shortly before 7:30 to shower and get ready to leave before 9:00. We picked up our youngest son who, quite unaccountably at age 23, decided he wanted a suit for Christmas. Go figure! Anyway, we spent all morning looking at suits. He's tall, 6', but thin so hard to fit. He's really a 29 waist, but can manage a 30. Finally found a suit at a reasonable price and then dropped him home and headed out to stores in the opposite direction, for a few more gifts we needed. Then back home and left again shortly, to pick up our granddaughter for her ballet lesson. While she's twirling, we walk down to a local restaurant with a nice bar, and partake of a cocktail each, plus truffle fries (yum!) and roasted cauliflower. Nice, relaxing 45 minute interlude in a hectic day. Now we're home, and I'm checking the forum and eating a bowl of cold cereal for dinner as I'm not that hungry really.

Party last night went well, although I was tired and achy from being on my feet almost the entire time, probably didn't help that I'd virtuously gone to the gym and done 45 minutes on the elliptical in the morning. Last guests left around 10:00 and my husband and I washed glasses, loaded and ran the dishwasher and tidied up together, so I was in bed by 11:00. Hips held up well despite a back ache towards the end of the evening, and my right leg (which is operated hip side) had a dull ache running down from the outside of my knee down to the top of my foot. Again, I was glad to hit the hay last night, and will be glad to do so again this evening.

And, yes, @Bone-obo, my roasted baby potatoes with garlic dill dipping sauce were a hit. They will be reappearing tomorrow at another party we're going to. I have to make those, plus bake a batch of cookies to bring as a holiday gift for our hosts. And I should go to the gym. And I should do my PT exercises before bed tonight. By this time every year, I am heartily sick of the holiday season (and big day hasn't even arrived!) and bone weary. I am sure it's a wee bit harder this year with a recovering hip--I will be three months out the day after Christmas and, all things considered, I think I've held up pretty well.
 
Busy, Barbara. It's the final countdown...it's almost over...hang on. :santaclap:
Sounds like your hip is holding out pretty well with all the Activity.
I hope today is a good one! :SUNsmile:
@Barbaraj
 
You are right, @Layla, I just need to get through the next few days. Up since 6:15, quick whiz through the newspaper and then baking a batch of buttery spritz cookies, gift for tonight's Christmas party hosts. I have a rack left over which will make my husband happy--he's been saddened that the baking I've done so far has all headed off to friends, with only a lone bite or two for him. I am going to try to finish up my cleaning in the kitchen, and perhaps head to the gym for a short workout. I did not exercise yesterday, not even my PT exercises, and fell asleep watching the 10:00 news last night. Hips feeling good this morning, although shoulders a bit achy from hunching over a kitchen counter to splash glaze on little cookies. Yes, the countdown has begun! Hurray!
 
A beautiful Sunday--NOT! Cold and rainy out there, a bit of a grim day. But I am feeling pretty cocky, having done my Christmas day food shopping yesterday. I made my husband come with me to the store--I have to make all this food so he needs to help with the purchase and schlepping heavy, overstuffed bags into the kitchen so the contents can be stowed. Otherwise, yesterday was a quiet day. I hung out in my comfy chair and read an old novel on my Kindle, heating pad turned on periodically. I am mindful that Christmas is just two days away, and it will be a long, exhausting and stressful (although fun--gotta remember the fun part) day for me, entertaining in the morning and afternoon.

Friday's party was fun--I had two lemon drop cocktails, wolfed down some appetizers (party was at 6:00 and I hadn't eaten any dinner), chatted with guests, and then put the screws to my husband at 10:00, announcing cheerfully that it was time to leave. He polished off a glass of wine and we were home and in our jammies by 10:30. Last event before Christmas Eve, and then other than grocery shopping yesterday I was a bum. I need to rest up these hips and back, so that's the plan for today mostly---do nothing! I want to go to the gym around midday, and I might do some easy food prep, but that's it. I suspect husband will hit the gym, too, but he's off late this afternoon for a football game--probably in the rain (ugh) while I'll be home happily lounging around in my bathrobe and continuing to rest up for the Big Day. Happy Sunday everyone!
 
Last edited:
Last forum post until after the holidays. Up since 6:30, made brownie bites, a Christmas gift certificate (donation to a charity in my sister-in-law's name) and started a load of laundry. The big day is almost upon us! Hip feels strong and stable--hard to believe that December 26 will only be three months since this life-changing surgery! Gearing myself up for a tiring evening tonight at my brother's house, where my extended family will be gathering, and then a long day tomorrow as well. Holidays: love 'em while they are here, but so glad when they're done. I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday if you are celebrating Christmas tomorrow. I wish you peace, joy and comfort--and here's to new hips in 2019!
 
Hope you had a Merry Christmas !
:dancing:
Happy three month hipversary!:yahoo:
 
Hey BJ, it's over, :happydance: it's over :happydance: you did it :yay: yay!
I'll bet it was a great success too. Now for the clean up, or the rest, if you've already cleaned up.
I spent last night cleaning my kitchen for over two hours only to realize after I emptied the the completely full dishwasher and put the dishes away that the soap dispenser didn't open. Horror of horrors :yikes:
:gaah::hairpulling: :tantrum: :hissy: :tantrum2: < I think I did it all. Gathered all the dishes and silverware back out of drawers and cabinets and ran it again. I ended up loading more just to be safe. Problem is, I load the dishes so well rinsed and scraped into the dishwasher that I didn't notice until it was completely empty. Hubs said "Leave em, they were clean when you put them in there." Nuh uh, don't think so :nah:

Today will be a cleaning day with some rest sprinkled in and we will eat leftovers. No cooking!
Hope you're doing well and have an easy day on tap.
@Barbaraj
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary too :yay:
@Barbaraj
 
Thank you, @Mojo333 and @Layla, for your anniversary wishes. I confess I spent my three month anniversary being a total and complete idiot. Sure, I was a very productive idiot but--oh, boy--I was so exhausted and both hips were aching like crazy by day's end. I decided yesterday that the house must, immediately, be de-Christmas'd! I am either completely weird and/or ruthless, but by the time Christmas Day ends I am so sick of all holiday ornamentation and décor that I am itching to get rid of it all. Normally my husband would pooh-pooh this and refuse to consider taking down the Christmas tree and stashing all things holiday the day after, but this year he's headed to the Rose Bowl (go, Dawgs!) so he was willing to give in to my desire to clear the house out as he'll be gone this coming weekend.

I steadily powered through--boxing stuff up, running the vacuum endlessly (those miserable dead pine needles have been sifting into our carpets for weeks now) and going up and down our stairs repeatedly--until about 1:30 when I felt weak and light-headed, and realized I'd eaten nothing all day, only my morning latte for sustenance. I stopped for a bit of lunch and then was right back at it. By the time dinner rolled around I was definitely hobbling--both hips were aching, especially my left, unoperated hip--a deep, painful groin ache--stupid arthritis! We went out to dinner and, of course, a pre-dinner cocktail helped, but when we got home I changed into my jammies and bathrobe, and got into bed. I slept reasonably well, although woke up a few times with aching hips. But managed to get back to sleep each time thankfully.

This morning the right hip is feeling okay, but still a deep ache in my left hip. I've popped some extra strength Tylenol already--haven't done that for a few weeks--and hoping that I will feel better by midday. It is hard for me, as normally I feel pretty good, to remember that despite being three months along I am probably, I think, still recovering and need to be sensible about rest and activity. Isn't it supposed to be 6 - 12 months for a full recovery from hip surgery? I am pretty sure it's NOT only three months! I am feeling a bit chagrined at my stupidity yesterday, although I have to admit it felt nice this morning to curl up in our family room with coffee and the newspaper and see NO holiday stuff at all.

I worked hard on Christmas day, too, but must have done a better job resting throughout the day in addition to all the work. Yesterday was pretty much all work and no play, and clearly a wake-up call for me--back off, bucko! Love the holidays but glad they're over. Need to just power down significantly this morning and do a bit of navel gazing perhaps. My daughter gave me three new books for Christmas, including a mystery by a favorite author, so I have no excuse not to just relax today. I hope everyone else had a good holiday and was more sensible than me. Onwards, and here's to better behavior today.
 
@Barbaraj I totally "get" the wanting to take Christmas deco's down this year! However, I think you might have needed a wee break between Christmas activities and the taking down of Christmas!? I know for fact that you were not alone in the ODI department :wink: . I do hope that you are resting up, reading your books and recovering from your over doing activities :ice:, and your hips are starting to recover a bit?

Happy three month anniversary!!! :wow: :thumb: Congratulations!! :happydance::yay::yes!:

Our internet and landline have been going on and off since we got our power back on Sunday. Not great for Christmas phone calls to family overseas! I got sick of having calls, Skype, Whats Ap and trying to update here etc., but getting dumped half way through communications, that I just bagged it for a few days. Plus there is the ongoing clean up here. However, as I was on my feet way too much, I have not gone out to help with the clean up, and am trying to be :angel: again.

Wishing you a restful evening!:)
 
Hi @Barbaraj, I think sometimes when we get the energy to do house straightening, it's nearly impossible to resist it. The feeling of straightening or in your case the feeling of putting away all the Christmas stuff must have been very good ... There's nothing worse, in my view, than putting off some task ... thinking the energy and motivation will come ... and then the motivation getting delayed in Kansas.

So when I straighten, I tend to overdo it ... Yes, the full recovery is a year or even slightly more ... though of it depends on how we define recovery. I think the definition many of us are looking for ultimately is that we can clean frantically for a day and not be super sore afterwards ... That's gonna take some time. Funny, I think when we're considering surgery, we have a very simplistic idea of recovery in our heads ... a binary ... recovered/not recovered ... Clearly, recovery is a process .. .sporadic, gradual, unpredictable ... but for most of us ... steady.

I returned to the gym ... and sure enough ... I must have overdone it ... because this week my operated-side knee has been stiff and sore ... might be the bicyling or might be the weight lifting ... anyway ... my gym is closed for a week, so I'm icing my knees ... I'll be dialing down the exercise when the gym reopens.

Sorry to hear about your non-operated hip still causing you problems.
 
Happy Friday!
Wow, you're ambitious. I think I'll tackle the tree and seasonal decor this weekend, with hubs help.
I enjoy it all while it's up, but don't really enjoy putting it up, nor taking it down. Just want it to magically appear and disappear. Hopefully with some R&R yesterday you're feeling back to normal.
Enjoy the weekend!
@Barbaraj
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom