THR Are We There Yet?

I only did the injection because my insurance required that I fail certain cheaper treatments before they would pay for a THR. (I even had to be offered a cane!) I tried to time it so it would help with my trip but that didn't work. My surgeon also made me wait at least 3 months after the injection before surgery - I don't remember why. But that is something to consider. If you can skip it, there is no real good reason to do it, I think .

@Barbaraj I had a hip injection prior to my THR. When I saw my OS for the first time, he suggested the injection as a way to determine how much of my pain was from my hip versus the arthritis and degenerating disc in my back. My GP and a physical medicine doctor both felt my hip OA was not advanced enough for hip replacement and based on my symptoms thought the pain in both of my legs was from my back. My GP finally referred me to my OS who took one look at my x-rays and said I needed a new hip. When I explained to my OS what the GP and physical medicine said about my back pain versus the hip pain, he prescribed the hip injection as a way to diagnose where the pain was originating. The procedure is pretty painless, just some pressure. You are given numbing shots prior to the injection. The most uncomfortable part was having to lie on a metal table with my foot turned inward for about 20-30 minutes. The injection itself was a piece of cake for me. I had great results and remember being able to take a long walk on the beach shoreline with no pain at all within a couple of days. It was wonderful! It does only last a few weeks but it was great to know how I would eventually feel after THR.

Hi Barbara, It sounds like you’re doing well, and as usual, when I read your daily routine, I feel rather like a slacker by comparison. Your cranky hip will let you know when time is up; in my case, it was so much sooner, and a surprise, when the “fat lady (or hip, as it were) sang. But, now at least I can walk. I went to NYC THESE PAST 2 days and walked a ton, yes not too fast a pace, but not too bad. Now that in theory it’s spring, walking will be a daily requirement. Keep up the great work; and yes, there is nothing better than a recliner and a good book! (Although my recliner seems to put me to sleep, regardless of how good a book I have in hand).:sleep:

Hi @Barbaraj Thank you for your kind messages while I was off the forum. Really appreciated them although I didn't respond at the time.

I've read some of your recent posts and it sounds like you are winning with the PT. My PT said to not necessarily to do the PT every day, as he knows I'm doing the horses too, but I find the more PT I do, the better I feel now! If I'm super tired I just do the AM stretches.

I hope with the warm weather and the PT you continue to hold off the second hip to after the summer, and that your summer is filled with activities you feel comfortable with and want to do!

Is it really dry down where you are? We are so dry here, it is a little scary. Looks like rain is on its way this coming week though, so I'm going to enjoy being out in the sunshine at the moment!

Have a great weekend :flwrysmile:

Good morning here in the PNW, and despite a prediction of overcast skies, the sunshine is out in full force this morning, a lovely way to start the day. Yes, @Alitm, it is pretty dry here and definitely a concern as summer is on its way and it is usually pretty dry--last thing we need is a drought on our hands! We, too, are supposed to get some rain this coming week.

I went on a walk with a neighbor yesterday morning and was so happy that I was able to do this--not a long walk but probably 20 minutes in length--and right hip didn't whine and left hip's constant ache wasn't aggravated. And congratulations, @Atkinson8, for two days worth of walking in NYC. It is such an interesting city to walk around in, and being able to do it without discomfort is sensational--hurray for you! Today I'm off to the gym and will do my PT exercises after that. My therapist recommends doing the PT exercises daily for now and as it's a fairly straightforward series of exercises, only about 15 to 20 minutes daily, it's entirely manageable and it does help, I think. Nothing is going to completely relieve the discomfort of my aching left hip, but the goal is to keep it to a dull roar for awhile. As long as the discomfort doesn't impact my ability to live my daily life comfortably, I will be satisfied.

I realize my usual habit of being on this forum daily or every other day, is falling off. It's clear to me that I have less to say about "all things hip" which is really a good thing, I know. But I realize this is a HIP forum and if I've nothing to really contribute, it's time to take an extended break. I am sure once hip #2 is ready for replacement I will undoubtedly pop back on. My experiences on this forum with hip #1 have been so positive--I've felt supported and entertained in equal measure, and have appreciated reading about the experiences of others--some easier than mine, some harder, but all interesting to read and think about. Thanks to everyone who posts on their thread, and has posted on mine as well--especially moderators who do so much for everyone with their supportive, encouraging and informative postings. Despite recovering from hip surgery these last six months, I've enjoyed my time on this forum immensely--y'all rock, hippies forever!

For me, the immediate future means continuing to exercise regularly, for physical AND mental health, eat sensibly (the only thing my OS said as I left his office, "stay active and don't gain weight") and, frankly, learning to live with a certain amount of daily discomfort. My foolish dream of getting back to being unaware of my hips is clearly not going to happen. Sure, I will get stronger and the healing will continue. But I'm no spring chicken and a certain amount of stiffness and ache is something I need to get used to and accept. Adjusting my expectations is a real goal going forward.

Anyway, best wishes to everyone, and hope your weekend (and going forward) is going well. Cheers, and thanks again.

Last edited:
Happy Monday @Barbaraj
I do understand, there does come a day when you realize it's time to get on with life.
In addition to losing the pain, the reason most of us go through THR is to recapture what we feel we've been missing.

It sounds like you're doing well, aside from your other hip complaining at times. You might as well enjoy the Spring and Summer and when the time comes for Lefty to take a final bow...come back and join us for a time again. For your sake, I hope your left hip holds out for a good long time. Thanks for your contributions and being a part of the forum.
I wish you only the best. :)

@Barbaraj, you will be missed! I've gained such support and ideas from your thread - I thank you for that. I too have been remiss in posting - nothing much new to add from past diatribes, and those with newer hips than mine need to be heard (and comforted). I hope the other hip gives you a long stretch of support before it needs further attention. All the best! :cheers:

I’m slow to respond @Barbaraj because I too have been spending more time living life and less time on the forum. But although I realise you may not read this, I just wanted to post here to thank you for all your support during my recovery. You have been a great help to me. I hope lefty stays quiet for a while and you can enjoy forgetting about righty.

Take care, we will miss you, but don’t hurry back!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Nosila
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom