THR Are We There Yet?

@Barbaraj forgive me if I have already given you this advice - but have you purchased new shoes post THR? Wearing shoes with a pre-op wearing pattern causes all kinds of aches and pains. You don't have to get rid of every pair of shoes. But your main walking shoes need to be new post THR.
 
Today is supposed to be the last cold, sunny day with rain coming back tonight, through the weekend and the foreseeable future. Yesterday's afternoon walk with a neighborhood friend was so pleasant, thinking about a "last hurrah" this afternoon instead of a trip to the gym. Back ache is almost gone, just a hint when I bend forward but no real pain so hoping--knock on wood--that this is not hip related but just me having been careless with a body movement. I didn't buy new shoes, @Jaycey, but I did have a pair of fairly new, barely worn and orthopedically proper shoes I'd bought last year, and promptly forgot about, so I have been wearing those pretty consistently. But I agree that if one only has old shoes, with wear patterns reflecting one's old, pre-surgery wobbling gait, it absolutely makes sense to ensure one has good, supportive and comfortable shoes. I have a black tie party to go to tomorrow night, and I'm already dreading the fancy footwear required for the evening. But it is only for a few hours, and I'm hoping there will enough seating so I can park myself if I start getting achy.
 
Good Morning @Barbaraj I'd skip the gym and get your vitamin D for sure! So thrilled for you that the back ache is just about history (probably things realigning from surgery)! Your neighbourhood walk in the sunshine sounded lovely. The black tie party sounds like fun. Take back up flats if necessary?!

Wishing you a great day in the sunshine....the forecast is dismal with one front after another coming in starting on Saturday! Maybe we will get a little sunshine reprieve at the end of it!! :SUNsmile:

:santa sleigh:
 
Happy Friday,
Glad your back pain is easing. We're finally getting a peek at some sunshine today after a number of depressing gray days! It's freezing but I'd rather have sunny and freezing, than gray and freezing. For the black tie I'd consider carrying some dressier flats too so you're ready for a switcheroo...if you're miserable.
Enjoy the event and weekend!
@Barbaraj
 
A great start to my Saturday morning. Slept in until almost 7:30, then husband hoofed it up to the local Starbucks for a gingerbread latte and a decadent little cranberry bliss bar. I sunk into a comfy leather chair, gas fireplace turned on along with our Christmas tree lights, and tucking my feet up into my capacious fuzzy bathrobe, I happily sipped, munched and wandered through the morning paper. Truly the good life for moi!

I completely bagged the gym yesterday, and my walking buddy decided she wanted to go shopping, and invited me along. We were able to find a cute birthday gift for another friend of mine, and tomorrow we'll meet up to put the gift together in a pretty basket (we got several items). So, one item checked off my lengthy list! I am hoping that walking and browsing around a couple local stores was sufficient exercise, although no vitamin D benefits. Back is still a bit dodgy, vastly improved but still aware of lingering stiffness, but I will hit the gym today for a workout. Tonight is the black tie event and getting all stretched out will probably help. I also scored a cute and inexpensive pair of flats at one of the stores we visited yesterday so I'm hoping I'll be much more comfortable as I'm swanning around in my evening attire tonight.

Looks as though grey skies have come back this morning--I am assuming yours are overcast as well, @Alitm? I hope it doesn't rain tonight when we're heading to our party. As I am wearing a long black satin skirt, trudging through rain puddles will not be conducive to the elegant look I hope to make coming in the door at the black tie party! Other than the party tonight, nothing on my agenda except a workout at some point today--oh, and maybe a trip to the grocery store. Trip to Starbucks was necessitated this morning as we were almost out of milk, not enough to make our usual morning lattes. Need milk and a couple more items.
 
A great start to my Saturday morning. Slept in until almost 7:30, then husband hoofed it up to the local Starbucks for a gingerbread latte and a decadent little cranberry bliss bar. I sunk into a comfy leather chair, gas fireplace turned on along with our Christmas tree lights, and tucking my feet up into my capacious fuzzy bathrobe, I happily sipped, munched and wandered through the morning paper. Truly the good life for moi!

Sounds so lovely I want to start my day over!
Hope you have a good time at the black tie this evening!

@Barbaraj
 
Have a great time tonight @Barbaraj! Hope your weather holds or hubby can drop you at the front door this evening and go off and park....to keep your lovely skirt looking great :)

We were supposed to get some snow overnight, but it showed up as rain. The forecast is generally messy moving forward!
gingerbread latte and a decadent little cranberry bliss bar.
YUM!!!

Great news on the flats. Have a chill day so you can party tonight!
:dancing:
 
Many thanks, @Layla and @Alitm. I can feel the sugar drop from my less than healthy breakfast starting to kick in so I better roust myself and hit the gym for some exercise!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Are We There Yet? Soggy, soggy Monday morning but I am up early, contemplating a dark and dreary day that holds lots of chores this morning--making a Christmas stocking for my brother's new girlfriend, sugar cookie dough to prepare, grocery shopping, and the perpetual load of laundry, plus taking a phone call from a friend--and this all before noon today. I am feeling remarkably well. I was dragging both Saturday and Sunday mornings, but I hit the gym both days and did some of my PT exercises and that really helped. The black tie event on Saturday was quite swell--with a party photographer, catering plus a bartender, and pre-printed name tags, and the host has his own microphone to make a brief welcoming speech and the issuance of holiday greetings once we'd all assembled. My cheap flats worked wonderfully and I didn't get too tired, but also made sure I stayed near a chair or sofa so I could sit for periods of time--I definitely paced myself. My lower back was a bit tired by the time I got home, but a night's rest helped that and I was fine Sunday morning.

Sunday was a wine tasting event where there was NO seating available (presumably to insure folks would come in, taste the wine and then get the heck out) so I had to stand the entire time. Fortunately, I had on my sensible, comfortable although not terribly fashionable shoes, so I managed pretty well--that plus wine tasting helped. We were home by mid-afternoon and I hung out and read until it was time to hit trivia. We brought my brother with us this time, and we were able to score 4th place which meant we picked the trivia category for next week. We allowed my brother to do that, and he picked "19th Century British authors", so I will be studying up on the likes of Dickens, the Bronte sisters, etc. My son also forwarded me a few pictures that he'd had taken on Friday with his girlfriend, and I have to brag--just a teensy-weensy bit--that I do have a photogenic son. Including a pic here although I know I am perilously close to more of a social post today rather than true musings about my recovering hip. But indulge a proud mama!

Since I hit the gym twice this weekend I will ease off today, with enough bustling around I think I'll be active enough with my morning chores. Hope everyone had a great weekend--and thanks for your kind wishes, @Ginny12.
 
Nice photo! Great looking couple.
Aaah, young love, I think I can dredge up those memories from the recesses of my mind :rotfl:

Glad you enjoyed the black tie as well as the rest of the weekend. I hope you have a great day and can
put your feet up tonight for a little R&R after the activity of the past few days.
Best wishes for a peaceful one!
@Barbaraj
 
Good morning, although feeling quite grumpy, having just returned from PT a short while ago, and definitely feeling tired and wobbly--hips and/or age--can't decide. The gloomy wet weather isn't helping my mood, either. Fortunately I'm headed out to lunch with a friend in another hour or so, and I intend on having a festive cocktail at the restaurant to boost my mood a bit. I am really dragging! I spent all day yesterday making a Christmas stocking for my brother's girlfriend, and then spent the afternoon and early evening in the kitchen, making a ton of decorated sugar cookies which I'll be dropping off around the neighborhood this afternoon.

We leave for Portland, OR tomorrow, for some holiday shopping. We have a ton to do, and I need to assemble my list tonight so we can stay focused and on-track for the next couple days as we power walk through stores, list in hand. We will be staying in a nice downtown hotel, and eating out (always a bonus!) but feeling anxious about all the needed shopping and less than thrilled that the weather in Portland is supposed to be just like it is in my neighborhood--cold, wet and miserable. Heavy sigh...

Thanks for the kind words, @Layla, about the "young love" couple (and I agree--if I really concentrate I can remember those days too!) I enjoyed those early years, where I had far more energy and time to devote to mooning over various relationships, but I confess that I love being happily married and comfortable in my own skin. Young love is great, but you gotta be young!

Okay, off to deliver a few Christmas cookie packages before my lunch date. Happy Tuesday!
 
@Barbaraj I came very close to moving to Portland years ago. Spent many days on business travel there. Enjoy your stay downtown - sounds great! Please don't stress about gifts or making everyone happy. Easy to do this time of year.

Hope you have a lovely lunch outing!
 
Safe travels to Portland, OR today on your power shopping trek.
I hope you find it enjoyable and not too exhausting. Staying at an upscale hotel
where you can comfortably put your feet up at night and chill should help. Dinner and a cocktail
should help you relax and hopefully sleep well. I have to bring my own squishy pillow when I travel. If anything keeps me awake it's a stiff pillow and overheated hotel room. Hope you enjoy!
@Barbaraj
 
Thanks for the bon voyage wishes, @Layla. We are leaving this morning after we finish a morning workout, shower and finish packing--then a drive south to a few days of luxury. Although I wouldn't want to live there, @Jaycey, Portland is a lovely place to visit for a few days. I have my fat packing list finished and ready to go, and really only a few more things to pack before we leave. I chuckle now when I remember how worried I was pre-surgery about whether or not I'd be able to make this trip, an annual outing--would I handle the car ride? Would I be able to walk around? Would I need to use a cane? So glad that I feel no fears about going--the long car ride will make me stiff, but I can shake myself out when we arrive. And although I expect to be tired from all the power shopping, it will just be a good tired and I do intend to rest up in the evening, a nice cocktail and dinner to end my day, and with fatigue normally comes excellent sleep.

Feeling pretty good this morning, stiff as usual, but nothing that a slow tromp on the elliptical won't help followed by a three hour drive. It's all good. I am trying to think positive about all the holiday shopping and take the Swiss cheese approach--a little bit at a time and it will all get done. Chill out! Okay, off to get dressed and jet off to the gym shortly. Cheers, all!
 
Ah, a good Sunday morning--wet and cool, but I'm still in my bathrobe and feeling pretty good. Our power shopping marathon was a success, and as predicted, it was lovely to finish each day collapsed in a chair or padded bench, sipping something alcoholic and contemplating a nice dinner I didn't have to prepare (or clean up afterwards). We got most of our shopping done, only a few remaining items, and I spent a good chunk of Saturday morning, sorting gifts, wrapping them, and stowing them under the tree.

Hips held up really well despite all the walking around during the day, list in hand and fierce determination on my face. I am stiff in the mornings, and by the end of the day I was admittedly tired, but it was so different than last year when I was suffering with sciatica (clearly, from hip problems) and taking Tylenol every night so I could get up in the morning and head out. This year I didn't take anything, and a decent night's sleep seemed to help. Morning stiffness is always relieved by getting up and moving around and hips didn't ache at all, just transferred lower back ache. But minding my posture, standing up straight and sucking in the gut is good for me, and generally within a half hour I'm moving pretty smoothly.

Last night was our family's annual holiday event, and all four kids plus son-in-law were able to attend--local community theatre show ("Twist of the Magi") followed by dinner at a local restaurant. After that my husband and I came home and instantly changed into bathrobes and lolled about for the rest of the evening, while our kids assembled for a post-event gathering involving a game of D&D. Glad our blended family gets along so well together, warms my heart especially this time of year.

We have a party we're hosting on Wednesday this week (need to hit grocery store and book store, for the white elephant gift) and then we're attending another party on Friday for which I need to bring an appetizer and bake cookies. It will be another busy week but with a day of rest I'm sure I'll be able to get it all done. Onwards, half way through the month now and so far--knock on wood--recovering hip plus grouchy unoperated hip are cooperating pretty darn well. Happy Sunday!
 
Tired and grumpy this morning--feel all the stress and work of the last few days is catching up with me. I woke up at 2:00 to use the bathroom and then simply couldn't fall back to sleep. With a lot on my plate still, despite having gotten a lot done to prepare for the Big Day, I lay there creating lists, trying to catch and corral elusive details and couldn't shut my brain down--argh! Finally got back to sleep when my husband left for work around 6:30, but then was jarred into wakefulness when he called me about 7:45 to find out how my morning was going. I rolled gingerly out of bed, aching all over and definitely feeling my age. I intend to try to do my PT exercises this morning after I finish swilling down my morning latte, hoping that this will wake me up sufficiently to tackle the rest of my day. A very slow start today, let's hope my brain and body regain some energy shortly--feeling very punk and weary. Hips are aching, but no more so than my back and thighs. Argh...!
 
Sorry BarbaraJ. Maybe a day of rest is in order so you can make it through next Tuesday.
Achy and functioning on little sleep with visions of "to do" lists dancing in your head may only land you in the ODIC. Take a break from the madness. Make it about you today, sounds like you've earned it.
Hope it gets better soon :console2:
@Barbaraj
 
Thanks, @Layla--a nice morning message from you which is very much appreciated. I should take a break today, I really should. I've truly been pretty productive for the last few days but failing to really stop and take it easy, a bit of rat on a treadmill kind of schedule. A break from the madness is in order, I know, and probably a nap this afternoon if I can. At least I finished my grocery list and I may wait for my husband to return home from work this afternoon (this is the allegedly "retired guy") and have him accompany me to the crowded grocery store. Again, thanks for the supportive message!
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom