Guest viewing is limited

THR Are We There Yet?

Good morning, it's Friday and thanks to sensible, restful day yesterday--lolled around and power read and finished one of my Christmas books--I am feeling much better today. That deep soreness in my left (unoperated) hip is gone and I had a solid night's sleep without any wake-up calls due to aching hips. Yes, @Going4fun, you are correct that until I was forcibly reminded of this yesterday morning, I was viewing recovery as a fairly binary process and clearly thought I was in the fully recovered zone which should have, to my way of thinking, permitted a full day of unremitting, strenuous activity. Wrong! Thanks for the reminder that I'm still a work in progress, and even after full recovery of the right hip, I will need to be mindful of the fact that the left, arthritic hip is clearly going to give me problems going forward if I'm not careful. My goal is to recover fully from right hip surgery and then to put off left hip replacement as long as possible. Engaging in the sort of thing I did on Wednesday is not furthering those goals! Lesson learned. I hope your knee is feeling better with the icing you've been doing. I hope the setback didn't discourage you, and that you'll be back to the gym when it reopens, although a bit more cautious this time.

Despite overdoing it, it did feel really great, @Layla, to have the house back to its pre-Christmas tidiness and calm. And as I mentioned, the reason it didn't wait until the weekend is that my husband is leaving so I was able to push him into doing the take-down/clean-up earlier than normal. I do agree with you, however--I wish, like Dorothy and her red shoes, I could simply click my heels together three times and it would all get done in an instant without any effort at all. But that isn't happening and clean-up ALWAYS takes so much longer, and is so much less fun, than putting out the holiday displays and decorating the tree at the beginning of December!

@Alitm, I hope your power is more consistently up and running by now, I can appreciate that this would be irritating at best to have it on and off and then on again. I can see why you'd throw your hands up at one point and just chuck all activities like the internet, phone calls and Skyping. I understand you are going to get some colder weather rolling in this weekend--it will hit the northern part of Washington, but not further south where I am. I don't know how you feel about snow but I am not a fan. With your recovering hips you definitely need to be careful, especially if/when you go outside. Snowy, icy conditions are definitely unsafe. Let's hope the cold weather comes and goes quickly with no snow or only a slight dusting which will disappear rapidly.

I am feeling well enough this morning that I think I'll hit the gym with my neighbor workout buddy. I will be sensible, and make sure I don't push it too hard. After that we'll be going to lunch at a favorite place near our gym, and we'll be discussing the possibility of a "Dry January". I suggested this to her as she'd like to start the year off with a diet to help her shed a few pounds. I don't need to lose weight, so wouldn't necessarily be dieting, but I told her one thing might be to cut out all alcohol for 30 days and I'd be willing to do that with her as it's helpful to have a partner sometimes. It is remarkable how many empty calories are contained in alcoholic beverages! So, we'll see what she says when I lay out a plan. Other than the gym, a slow day ahead, I think. It's Friday night, so date night with my hubby, and if it's really going to be a dry January, I'll definitely be having a cocktail!
 
It's Friday night, so date night with my hubby, and if it's really going to be a dry January, I'll definitely be having a cocktail!

Classic and hilarious, @Barbaraj. What a great friend you are ... and what a practical scheduler-planner you are. Get in that cocktail!!!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Are We There Yet?
I was viewing recovery as a fairly binary process and clearly thought I was in the fully recovered zone which should have, to my way of thinking, permitted a full day of unremitting, strenuous activity. Wrong
I know you may have seen this on others recovery threads...but now you get your own!

Keep listening to your body...ebb and flow...
Hope you start the new year off happy and healthy!
 
A windy Saturday morning here in the PNW. When I trotted out this morning to get the newspaper, it had blown down the driveway and into the street. My bathrobe was whipping around my legs and luckily there was no one around at 6:30 as--ahem--showing a bit more skin than is respectful for an old lady! Hips feeling better this morning, only residual ache so clearly my less active few days is paying off. Yes, @Mojo333, I have seen that great graphic of the tortured recovery path--but you are right, I needed to see it again and will try to keep in mind before I again misbehave with excess activity again! I did go to the gym yesterday, although workout buddy bailed on me, and I was a good girl and only did 30 minutes on the elliptical, and took resistance and incline way down. Hips felt fine, and no worse for wear afterwards. Will do PT exercises only today, trying to get back (holidays really mess with your schedule and I'm definitely someone who needs a set schedule) to the usual routine of cardio every other day for three days, PT exercises every other day for three days, and one "free day". I was doing pretty well sticking to this regimen until the craziness began.

Tonight we're doing a "faux" NYE with some friends. We'll drive down to their new condo, have dinner, toast in the new year before midnight, off to bed and then up for breakfast the next morning. With my husband's departure for southern California on NYE, our long-standing tradition was shifted to tonight. It will be a fun evening, they are good friends, very relaxed and the conversation and laughter never lags, the best sort of evening. There will, o f course, be cocktails, @Going4fun, (hey, I'm bringing grapefruits and lugging my juicer!) and they will make dinner while I'm responsible for breakfast tomorrow morning--coffee, freshly made scones and fresh squeezed OJ, the breakfast of champions, right?

My Dry January is approaching, @SurreyGirl--why are you picking February for a month of abstinence?

Happy Saturday!
 
Is dry January a thing? No one sent me the Memo. So why start now? :martini:
I could do a dry Jan, Feb or even March, but all three would be pushing it. I enjoy a glass of Vino with dinner some days.
Have fun at the faux NYE. It sounds like a good time. Relaxation for the hips.
Happy Saturday :)
@Barbaraj
 
@Layla, google "Dry January" and lots of articles pop up about this topic. I think you have to look at it in conjunction with new year's resolutions, just a way to start the year off on a different note. I would just do it to help out a friend as a kickstart to her diet. I am with you, one month is sufficient! I remember being pregnant with my kids, and towards the end gritting my teeth and positively slathering at the promise of a cocktail. When my first daughter was born, my brother even snuck a thermos of grapefruit juice and small airline sized bottle of vodka into the hospital! He is my favorite brother after all!
 
The hospital, YES, hospital, gave me a glass of red wine with dinner after the birth of my first born and I was breast feeding.
She was born a few days before Christmas and they sent her home with me in a big Christmas stocking!
Same daughter just celebrated 43rd birthday. Ugh! WHERE DOES TIME GO?!!!!
Never heard of dry January. If I have, I quickly forgot, lol.
@Barbaraj
 
Hi @Barbaraj I hope you are enjoying your "faux" NYE party!! What fun!

Getting back into a routine is so important to healing hippies. I have found the holidays and the storm last week to really throw me off the routine, and I'm struggling to get back on it! I was very good yesterday and today. I decided to take a slightly different route on my walk, and we'll see how that holds up. We can lament about the zig zag recovery and struggles to get back to a routine mañana!

We had gorgeous sunshine today, and it wasn't too chilly when I went for my walk. I have decided that long johns under the jeans really do help warm up the muscles that are trying to accommodate the new upright me! Supposedly another day of sun tomorrow. I need to start marking my calendar to see how many sunny days we are getting!

Happy early New Year! :happydance::yay::egypdance::cheers:
 
Well, it's NYE and I'm home by myself, my husband having left to fly down to SF and then a six hour drive down to Pasadena to see the Rose Bowl tomorrow. He won't return until late Wednesday night, so I'm by myself and loving the downtime so far. It's almost 7:00 as I'm writing this, and I've not changed out my nightwear all day so can go to bed after brushing my teeth at any point this evening.

Once again, I overdid it yesterday morning, went on a 3 mile walk with our faux NYE hosts in the morning. I suspected that I was pushing myself too hard towards the end of our walk and, sure enough, by last night the deep throbbing ache in my left hip was such that I was walking stiffly and hobbling a bit. Good news is that right hip is holding up pretty well. I figured a three mile walk was sufficient cardio for the day, so I didn't go to the gym when I got home. We did go to Sunday night trivia to cheer on our son, but I slept poorly at our NYE sleepover (new bed, probably a wee bit too much alcohol plus a late dinner) so I fell asleep early last night and slept until almost 7:00. Left hip still aching today but I've been a bum, reading and gently wandering around doing a few easy chores, so really hoping things will be back to normal tomorrow for new year's morning.

I know I ought to be grateful for the easy recovery I've had so far, but I confess I get frustrated when I run up against my limits. But for this stupid arthritic left hip, I think I could have handled yesterday morning's walk easily. I am just feeling discouraged, I guess, not at hip recovery but at the looming prospect of my left hip deteriorating more rapidly than I'd like and the prospect of another surgery in my future. I just wanted a few pain free and comfortable months in between and, increasingly, it looks like by next fall or earlier I'll be back, whining and angry, at my surgeon's office. I am not a happy camper when I contemplate this.

However, it's the end of the year and I should really be grateful for the successful surgery I experienced and I should not, as my mother used to caution me, "borrow trouble". It is what it is, and I need to take things one day at a time. Happy new year, everyone, here's to a wonderful 2019!
 
Wow, January 1, 2019--how did this happen? I had a quiet NYE, lounging about in bed and then falling asleep before any fireworks activity. I woke up at midnight, hearing fireworks going off in our neighborhood presumably, but just turned off the TV and beside lamp and went immediately back to sleep. I woke up at 6:00, tottered to the bathroom and back, and tried to go back to sleep. When it was clear that wasn't going to happen, I got up at 6:30, retrieved the newspaper and went back to bed to read it and watch the morning news on TV. I am now up and moving around a bit. Hips are feeling a bit better as I'm sure being a total bum yesterday was helpful. But I intend to hit the gym for a short workout today. Before I got into bed last night I forced myself to do my PT exercises and maybe that helped, who knows. But I WILL be out of my PJs around 11:00 today when I'll head out. A friend may come with me, and if that happens she's proposed going out to lunch afterwards. This is my "dry January" partner so it will be a lunch sans our usual glass of wine. Day one of 31! Let's see how we do and how much mutiny we'll feel at being denied our usual lunchtime beverage! Otherwise, home to do nothing other than perhaps a small load of laundry. I downloaded a book from the library onto my Kindle so I've got something to read this afternoon. Another lazy day here in my neck of the woods. Happy NY day! And go, Dawgs--Rose Bowl this afternoon!
 
Enjoy a lazy day @Barbaraj! You deserve it after the Christmas rush! Good luck with the dry 31 :heehee:. It will be such a great support to your lunch partner :SUNsmile:.
 
You did the right thing having a lazy day. Happy New Year to you aND “March onwards!” X
 
A lazy day can be good once in awhile. It sounds like you earned it after the holidays.
Only 29 more dry days and you can celebrate with your fave, the Greyhound :martini:

We have a sunny but cold one on tap for the Upper-Midwest today. But by the weekend it will be 39 degrees
which is very nice for January. Ridiculous...I know.
A great Wednesday to you! I hope your left hip pain has eased enough to enjoy the day.
@Barbaraj
 
Well, despite feeling a bit guilty about being so lazy for the last couple of days, I must say both hips are feeling better this morning, definitely less creaky. Thanks for the votes of encouragement, @SurreyGirl, @Alitm, and @Layla. Old habits die hard and lounging around is very unlike me, and feels a bit shameful really. But with a recovering hip and grouchy unoperated hip, being a bum these last several days truly means that I am stronger and less uncomfortable this morning. This is a good thing, as tomorrow and Friday we'll be on grandkid duty and I'll need every ounce of strength and energy to cope with two small children. My daughter is dropping them both off after dinner tonight, so I need to get their beds made up and I'll have to haul some toys out. We kept a few things from when our youngest--now 23--was a kid, so a Lego truck with big blocks, a rocking wooden boat, coloring book and crayons, and a basket of stuffed animals will all at the ready. Husband was disappointed at the outcome of yesterday's football game, but I hope he had a good time anyway. He'll be flying home tonight, after driving six hours north to San Francisco to catch his flight and then tomorrow and Friday will be crazy busy. I need to mentally get ready as well as physically.

Friend bailed on me yesterday, so I went to the gym by myself for a short, low impact workout, and skipped going out for a solo lunch. But, I did swing by the store and picked up ingredients for a fattening NY day sandwich: grilled cheese, bacon, avocado and tomato. I remember eating these decades ago, when I never thought about my weight or cholesterol (!) but decided an indulgent meal would be okay on the holiday, especially since I wasn't going out to eat. It did taste pretty good, but not as fabulous as I remembered. Oh, well...

I am going to get dressed today and try to be a bit more active--dry cleaner trip needed, and definitely some food for the picky little ones tomorrow will necessitate a trip to the grocery store. Onwards!
 
Both hips probably really appreciate a lounge day.
I am not good at it either, but our bodies really do tell us what we need...If we will listen.
Hope your weekend is relaxing and sweet!
 
That is so true! I can usually tell if I overdo it not just because of aching muscles but also the urge to sleep at 10pm!
 
Whew...finally emerging after two days spent caring and entertaining The Littles! Boy, I always have renewed respect for folks who are caring for their grandchildren on an ongoing basis. After even a day or two with my beloved but exhausting grandkids I can barely function, I sometimes feel, so having to do this day in and day out is something I could barely fathom. Good news is that hips held up fairly well. Sure, squatting down to give them good night kisses and hugs in bed was challenging, but I got down and with a bit of assistance from thighs and hands, I actually got up again--woo, hoo! Feeling pretty good this morning, and think I'll probably hit the gym for a workout and get some errands done that I had no time for the past two days. Need to really focus on getting back to a consistent schedule, including sleep, diet and exercise. It is absolutely true that I feel better when I'm able to get into a fairly consistent daily routine. I don't "roll with the punches" as easily as I did in my youth (oh, about a gazillion years ago), and find that the best way of feeling well, and keeping up my energy and strength (even before hip surgery) is to find and then stick to routines that work. Hips love rest for sure, @Mojo333, but it must be tempered with some form of activity and movement. It's finding the best mix that is challenging.
 
Last edited:
I just got off of babysitting detail myself. Granddaughter had 17 days straight off of school. Finally goes back on Monday. It is draining, even if they don't need much care. They're like little tornados around the house. This morning I will tidy up, post a few, then get out into the full sunshine, low 40 temps predicted and vacuum my cars interior and wipe it down, don't like the way the car wash places do it. It's understandable though. As a hearty Mid-westerner I'll find the weather lovely enough for early January to spend time outdoors this afternoon.

Glad to hear you handled babysitting detail so well. I think it is a challenge in our 60's. The energy level is not the same for sure. You don't feel on top of your game, at least I don't. We went to see Mary Poppin's the other day and I almost fell asleep in the recliner. It was a true effort to stay awake, lol.

I'll bet a gym workout and some errands will feel like "sweet freedom". I think your elliptical workouts at the gym seem to suit you and your recovery. I understand about discipline in the New Year. Me too! I need to better schedule my days. It's on the list :heehee:
I hope you have a good one! @Barbaraj
 
I hope you did give yourself a day, or two, of rest. Your energy level and drive are inspiring! I think I read on another thread that your non-op hip is giving some discomfort. Listen to it. My right leg/hip held up beautifully during recovery of left THR, then just surrendered. I had no choice, but now they’re done, and like you, all I want is a warm, active, and comfortable summer. I’m no expert, but you deserve a big hug for all you’ve accomplished since your surgery!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom