Anyone get the "Blues" prior to surgery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is turning into a very interesting discussion, which could,go on until the cows come home...

Just to add another aspect, what do you think about the age angle? By this i mean do people think that there is more / less anxiety as you get older...?

Speaking for myself, I have always been fairly laid back and just wanted to get it done. Perhaps that is more my nature, than due to my age, but I would be interested to hear what others think.
 
I really don't think age influences your approach to joint replacement at all. I was diagnosed at age 59 and told at the time I was very young for joint replacement. For me the blues were a result of realising my hip joint had failed and there was nothing I could do except put myself in the surgeon's hands. I was scared stiff even though I had been through major spinal surgery 3 years earlier. But I did lots of research here and yes, I watch the virtual THR dozens of times. By the time my surgery day arrived I was totally calm - just wanting it done!
 
My surgery is Tuesday and my emotions change hour by hour :rolleyes: Thank you @VF….you are in the health profession and still felt nervous…..that helps me feel I am not a nutter

I read very carefully the wonderful post op people who come back to this side to help us…….they all say the same thing….they were all scared….but are now doing well and all glad they did the op.

I believe its human to be scared of the unknown…..people deal with it in different ways. Find the way that works for you….example I do let myself cry if I need to (my sister who lives in England is on call for face time…..and she just lets me cry)……it really helps release tension. I am also watching mindless television…:yahoo:…I lose myself for an hour.

We are human……we do the best we can.
 
Having gone throughout the operation on my left hip, I am looking forward to getting my right hip done. Knowing how to go through the 6 week healing process, I am looking forward to the operation. I just receive my letter from the hospital and a date for Pre - Admission clinic appointment. Don't worry we will help you through it.:wowspring:
 
Pre op anxiety is a challenging concept as most of us awaiting elective surgery experience anxety and it is widely accepted as an expected response and natural response to the unknown along with the sense of handing control over to a group of strangers. It begins as soon as the surgical procedure is planned and increases to maximal intensity at the moment of entering the hospital..

It is important to remember that for the surgical and nursing team this is their day job. They have undertaken many years of training and on the job experience with hundreds and hundreds of patients all feeling the same way.

The good news is that one goes to sleep, then wakes up without the bone on bone pain and the focus turns to recovery..
 
I was very anxious prior to the first surgery -- a real basket case. the night before my first surgery, a kind of resigned calm set in and the morning I went in for the surgery I just went in there and got it done. I was surprised that I didn't have a full-blown panic attack that morning, but I didn't. I just felt sort of pragmatic about the process -- well, here I am, let's get it on, etc. And once you get through the hospital door and into pre-op, you are so busy answering the 87 people who ask you who you are and if you are sure who you are, etc. that you really don't have time for panic. The reality was nowhere near as bad as I had anticipated.

As to the age angle, for me I think that played a part in that is was kind of a newsflash to me that MY body was really aging and that a part had broken down. I mean you know in the abstract that we all age, but somewhere deep in yourself is a tiny little idea that it won't happen to ME, but it does. I had always been very active, running and cycling and all that, and the hip pain stopped me in my tracks. So I had a bit of a midlife crisis over it, if that makes any sense -- the idea that I might not be over the hill, but that I could sure see the top from here kind of rocked me.

The good news is that I am back doing a lot of the stuff I did before, but not the running, and I don't know if I'll go back to that or not, but many people do. Just not quite sure I'm ready to try it yet. Anyway, I"m SO glad to get my life back, and so will you.
 
You are so right @Butterfly - to anyone reading this, (including all our guests) there is a certain calm that overtakes and the day of your surgery is so busy, there is no time in between for the anxiety to build.
 
When I got to the hospital I felt so cared for. It actually was a wonderful feeling. I also was frightened.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®

Right anterior approach on April 15, 2014
 
VF brings up a point I'm ashamed to admit. I'm an active guy that will do anything for anybody. I am a teacher and so there aren't ten people a day I work with like some professions, there are 180.

I am looking forward to being waited on a bit.
 
Tomorrow marks exactly 30 days until my surgery and I find I'm excited and scared and as many of you say "a bundle of nerves" all rolled into one. One minute I feel pain and I'm strong because I know it's temporary; and the next thing that happens in life (I.e. a discussion with friend) and I start to lose it. I think living with chronic pain wears you down - I didn't have an appreciation for what people less fortunate than myself my entire life go through. I count my blessings it's only been a year and a half and there's a cute on the horizon because even with a very high pain tolerance, this will make you bat crazy.

Wishing my other hippy friends huge success with their remaining April and May surgeries. I hope we all are pleased with the outcomes and some normalcy can return!!!!

Tee


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I realized tonight that I'm getting antsy. I have the feeling that there is something I should be doing to prepare yet I've been over it ten times and things are in order.
 
@M1ke how are you doing? I hope you are doing well and are not in any pain. Welcome to the "Other Side!"

@frieds Yes -- the whole experience will make you "bat crazy" for sure. The kind and compassionate folks on this forum had to talk me down off the ledge more than once in my journey. And yes, that constant, unremitting pain just wears you down until you are not really yourself any more. But I can attest that you will feel SOO much better afater the surgery and you'll be so glad you did it!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Anyone get the "Blues" prior to surgery?
Just nerves, @Dieter.
[Bonesmart.org] Anyone get the "Blues" prior to surgery?
 
They'll give you a positively lovely drug in pre-op that will take care of all that even before the actual anesthesia!
 
I found myself going between extreme excitement and having a sense of real foreboding in the weeks leading up to the date and I honestly do not know what I would have done without the support here!

I don't know if this is a bit off topic or not but having your surgery postponed 2 days before the date has been really eyeopening. I honestly never realised the amount of emotional energy and planning that I had put into my day and I quite honestly was a wreck for most of last week.
 
Hey lanice1972! How is your hip feeling today? My right one is killing me, but my left one does not hurt at all! :)
Is Tuesday, tomorrow still your big day? It's no big deal, we make way too big a deal out of it IMO now I have been through it. Yep. Everyone in the hospital does what they do everyday, it is their job and they take pride in doing a good job, that is why they are there for the most part... Hoping the best for you. If your hip hurts, go get it done!
 
You are completely normal - because there is no normal! We are all going through similar procedures, but we are all unique individuals and our emotions will be every possible reaction you can imagine.
Hopefully, sharing your feelings and emotions will help you through this life changing surgery, but you are also helping everyone who is facing their surgery after you - thank you.
There will be people, me included, that can relate to your feelings right now. Knowing that someone else is feeling the same way I am right now is extremely comforting.
I believe there are so many emotions running through my head, my brain is in overload and must go numb just to get a break!

I wish you the very best tomorrow and can't wait to hear how you feel in a few days. I will be inspired!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom