Anyone get the "Blues" prior to surgery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peeking over from the other side..
I had no peace, no acceptance, only nerves, pain, and anger..really it is hard to type this as I was so irrational. By the way, I am a rehabiliation nurse and case manager, my speciality...one of them is major trauma, so I understood what was going on, but when it came to me..no way.. I was mad..at who, I have no idea.

Today is day 9. I am and have been my old self, only better since the second I woke up from surgery. Such serenity to know I am healing, I am healthy, I made it!

I am not using a cane, walking half a mile and other than stiffness and some insomnia..GREAT! I am eternally grateful for the support and friendship on this board.

I want to reassure everyone..although we are all different..just get through..if you are scared, try to just believe you will be ok. You will!

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for letting me express this and for the amazing connections here!

By the way, I am in South Florida and very pleased with my surgeon, Dr. Juan Carlos Suarez, Cleveland Clinic, Anterior approach.
 
Right now I'm just anxious for the day to get here. My surgery is not scheduled until June 17. It's hard to imagine that at one point I was considering putting it off until the fall or next year. The pain seems to get worse every day. I want it NOW! But I'm sure once the big day gets closer the anxiety will set in. At that point, I probably won't want to focus on it either.
 
It's true..my pain also was horrible before the surgery. I think that was part of the problem and no denying I had to get this done. My one salvation..the pool. I felt so good just floating and being weightless. Hope you can try this.
 
@psychteach

I don't think its a man vs woman thing so much. Just my personal psychology combined with the fact that there also happens to be a lot of drama at home with a teenage daughter. This has given me no time to dwell on the surgery. I am by no means hiding my anxiety over it really! I think also it has helped that I am so dang fascinated with the nuts and bolts aspect of the surgery. I think its so cool to watch those videos on you tube etc. I literally have found myself wishing I had time in my life to pursue other careers.

Hey your a teacher, you really think surgery is worse than facing a room full of 30 teenagers?! You and I do that everyday lol

Actually I think that may be good advice for anyone having a tough time, make sure you are active in your hobbies to keep your mind focused on other things.

I will say this, I really really thought I would be more nervous than I am.
 
@M1ke LOL. I have been through the huge drama of a teenage daughter... now 22 and amazing and grown up... ...so I can understand how that might distract you big time!!! Never had any of that drama with son... gender differences again? It is a huge discussion in my psychology classes... so much genetics in our differences and our emotions.Nuts and bolts... I would say that was another guy thing... more mechanical...lol. Interesting as my personal psychology is very calm and laid back... very optimistic ... this ( and all medical) just scares the heck out of me! You teach high school too? what subject?
 
Funny story, regarding nuts and bolts of surgery and daughters:

Last week my 4th grader found an online hip surgery computer game simulation. It was fairly accurate - I was impressed. The game itself was animated, but included some still photos of various stages of an actual surgery at the end. She loved it.

My 6th grader tried to play it later that morning. She ended up just watching her little sister play again. Next thing I knew she turned white as a sheet and passed out! She was fine after resting for a few minutes, but I guess she's a little more squeamish than her baby sister.
 
@psychteach LOL... I agree: it's probably more important to a man not to be seen as weak or cowardly, than to women who are more likely to "let it all hang out", wearing our emotions on our sleeve. Those men who are more inclined to not show their fear & anxiety probably have a more difficult time of it due to the stress of repression. So... No... You do NOT want to be a man (much as I do love them for their other attributes). Besides, they have those pesky prostates!!

How much gender plays in the way we all face this surgery may really be a moot point & quite simply based on the individual, but I can see why you question it. And gender differences IS a fascinating topic, anyway. You probably teach it, right?

Whatever the case, you will be fine! You already know that this is the very worst part of the whole deal -- the waiting/wondering/fearing/preparing/what-iffing part. Grit your teeth & count the days. Less than a month to go!
 
Two weeks to go for my r thr and i've been through just about every known emotion and even discovered a few new ones . Right now, i've settled into the numb feeling.
 
I think it's normal for anyone, male or female, to have second thoughts about any major decision. Just keep in mind why you made the decision and don't let fear change your mind. Fear is the enemy, not the surgery.
Wow...that sounded good. Wish I had done that before my surgery :)
I was definitely apprehensive before my surgery and went through all the emotions everyone is describing here. Just remember...you are stronger than you think!
 
@psychteach

I teach automotive technology 9-12th. There are gender differences for sure. Our son is the most easy going kid, goes with the flow, always happy etc. My daughter is really having a hard time and making it hard on everyone!

We ALL have our fears and some people are afraid of the medical stuff sure I get it. I am not sure that I agree with the comments that guys just repress things more....at least I know I don't feel that way about myself. If I was scared, I would have my own thread about it here on bonesmart lol.

More advice for you scaredies :cheers: go and read the recovery threads if you haven't. You will learn how well everyone is doing with their recovery and it really is uplifting I think. Reading through those threads is what made me so excited.
 
Yeah... Same here. Out of my two children my son is way more expressive of his feelings.. Don't really think that is a gender issue. We could spend hours on the difference biologically and psychologically between men and women..our brains are biologically wired different..just from watching on BS perspective .. It seems men seem to just go with it and get it done..
Yes the recovery postings are very positive and give me strength:)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@shrinkette c'mon now, leave our poor prostates out of it, in fact I'll see you a pesky prostate and raise you a set of ornery ovaries.:snork:
@psychteach @lanice1972 I feel for you and others who are apprehensive and nervous, I had some rough patches before surgery and a few after:). It sucks, just the way it is I guess. But at least you've found a community here that understands this.
 
Wow this conversation has been so helpful! The weird thing for me is that I'm not scared or anxious, I'm just kind of numb. At first I was excited, then curious, then more excited, now just numb. I'm so ready to just get there and be on the other side and it feels like time is crawling!

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one, even guys feel it some times. I was about to blame it on my ornery ovaries @JoeL! Guess it's just normal, ovaries or not!!

@M1ke I also has a 4th grader. He keeps asking me if I'm scared, and when I say no, he says, WELL I WOULD BE. he then follows that up by saying he thinks it's cool that his mom is going to be a cyborg! Lol.

Thank you all so much for this convo!!
 
@eric.tx

Haha my kids love those educational videos. That's a funny story and I must admit that I watched my kids closely when they did it the first time.
 
@lanice1972 lol! Just don't let him watch terminator, he might have a different impression of you afterwords. Too funny.

Anyway I am glad we are helping. It's totally understandable that your feelings have been swinging around at least some. It's a major event!
 
Edheads virtual hip surgery! There's all sorts of stuff on that website. I've done a knee, hip and aortic bypass lol
 
Yep, that's the one. I watched the little one when she did it. She sailed right through it. I wasn't as worried about the older one (who has bow fished and hunted wild boar with me) being sensitive to it, but she was.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I also did the virtual surgery through Edheads - it was great!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom