Anyone get the "Blues" prior to surgery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read so many times on BS that the wait and working up to your surgery is far worse than when done. I have to agree completely :). I hit a wall 2 days before my 4/30 surgery and I just boohood :(...The emotions and roller coaster ride was not fun. The morning of surgery I walked in a little nervous, but with the attitude: let's get it done :) and I did.just that :dancy:
 
I was nervous in pre op yesterday....my blood pressure was 156/109! (normally 122/72) they wanted to give me something, I said no, and did a relaxation exercise and it got better
 
Now that I'm on the other side it was by far more nerve racking for me lying in bed waiting for the PT. I was nervous because I couldn't move my leg at all and I was worn down mentally from lack of sleep. She came in and I told her straight up, you must be the most unpopular person with patients. She didn't like me right away. (It was all nerves)

Anyway then I told her how the heck was I supposed to walk if I can't even move my leg. She gave me some short answer and then we worked on it. She annoyed me. Kept telling me to breath and I kept saying I am. I realized later that it was all nerves. I was much more nervous about trying out the new hip, then I was the procedure itself.

For different reason I didn't like the occupational therapist either. She made it clear from the get go that she always had to spend more time with the athletes then anyone else. Then she treated me like I was a kid. One conversation was about getting on the bike. There are several ways to get on a bike and she kept on me about mounting from the right side of the bike. I said, "it won't be a problem I can mount from either side." She took that the wrong way because She says, "no you can't mount from the left side." I said no problem. She says, your not getting it. I swear every conversation with her went that way.
 
that is too bad @M1ke, I'm sorry you had a bad experience. my OT/PT was exactly the opposite once I got down to the clinic. the fellow that came to get me was kind of manhandling me to get me into the wheel chair...I told him I was OK to stand and walk, he said it was "protocol" and I showed him the board on my wall that says I can walk w/o staff assistance, he said "what ever" and I got in the chair. it turns out he was just a transportation aide, and the therapists were awesome, with lots of laughing...I was also the youngest patient by 13-20 years this morning.
 
Haha it wasn't a bad experience once I realized it was my anxiety that created my immediate dislike for the PT. Lol

The problem with the occupational therepist was just the way she understood my meaning of "it won't be a problem". She took it like I was blowing her off when really that was my way saying I understand what your saying and so it won't be a problem. My own meds might have created that issue.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom