THR Anyone been there done this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Allahere thanks for checking in and sorry it took so long to get back. I have kept myself busy looking for a new auto, swimming a little, dealing with pain...
The new implant for hip 2 is hopefully a Birmingham Resurface. I want this because there is little risk of dislocation in Hip 2. If the surgeon I have chosen finds more deterioration than expected, he will install (funny word) the Stryker Ceramic Accolade II Stem Implant as I understand. Anterior lateral approach surgery. On hip 1, I have a Cobalt/Chromium Modular Stem Implant. You know, I got into more research after learning some details from Z15. Even with his complications, he gave his time on here to guys like me scared to death of these implants, and gave me some relief that we are all getting pretty much the same implants. His first modular implant did let him down, just so you know...
 
Yesterday was super. I tell you I was almost feeling normal. These two new hips are a blessing from the Lord

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Thank you my man, I am smiling reading your words and yes, you are blessed...
 
Allahere, why don't they have an 'Implant Store', where we can go shop for our implants? You know, where we can look at them and hold them before we buy them? IT's not the same looking at one in the surgeorn's office to me, guess I'm an unusual hipster, LOL...
 
@waterman an implant store is a good idea!
Seeing and handling them is a useful thing.
Glad u got a date!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Hi @waterman1 . I have had both hips replaced at the age of 43! I started suffering a little over a year ago with the left hip and was in denial for a while. Was diagnosed last July with the hip arthritis. At the time only the left hip was bothering me but we knew I had arthritis in the right too. Just wasn't symptomatic yet. So we tried cortisone injections at the end of last October and they did not last long on the left hip - really only about a month. So after the holidays I pulled the trigger and scheduled the left hip replacement for February. Then...my right hip started bothering me so awful I couldn't sleep or lift my foot to drive! So one week before surgery I changed to the right hip first. That surgery went great, but as soon as I had my 2 week follow up with the OS, I scheduled the second surgery for April 24th. The left hip surgery was a little tougher at first with some nerve pain, but after that went away (3-4 days), that hip feels like it was never replaced! I have been doing physical therapy now for about 3 weeks with 3 more to go. Learning to walk again without wobbling. Been off the cane since about week 3 after the last surgery. I can do pretty much everything I want to again. Just find I get tired quickly since I know my body is still healing from surgery. I am having a little pain in the right hip every once in a while when I overdo things. Not sure why. Will discuss with the OS the end of this month.

I certainly understand the suffering before surgery having to go off the pain medications. I didn't think the ibuprofen I was popping like candy was helping much, but boy were they!! Before the second surgery I took tramadol and tylenol. You can also take the narcotic pain relievers if those help you. Good luck!! Can't wait to hear how your surgery goes. :)
 
Bamagirl,
We sound so similar in pain, you know I can't lift my right leg to brake the car, must use the 'hip replaced left leg on the brake' now. My left hip replacement is doing great, no pain at all but I have done very little in rehab due to the right hip pain. So, I am two weeks to go until surgery and I thank you for stopping by for a chat, your words are inspiring as I 'bite my nails' waiting on the date.
After surgery one, I learned to sleep on my back and I'm stil doing that in preparation for the next surgery. Still have the pillows piled all around in bed, LOL. Whew, I am not mentally ready for this but here we go, right?
 
Hi waterman1 - saw in an earlier post that you were scheduled for your second surgery yesterday. Just checking to see how you're doing?
 
Hey Moms! Thanks for checking in, my date for surgery is now June 23, preop is done and approved, ready for takeoff, LOL. Actually, I am coming off all antiinfammatories today, for the next 13 days and no one can be around me and I cannot stand to be around anyone and it's hard to LOL about anything!! But thank goodness I can say this on this board to others who understand, yay...
 
Bamagirl,
After surgery one, I learned to sleep on my back and I'm stil doing that in preparation for the next surgery. Still have the pillows piled all around in bed, LOL. Whew, I am not mentally ready for this but here we go, right?

I have been sleeping on my back for quite a while now since it used to hurt so bad to sleep in just about any position except on my back with the legs elevated (even that hurt before surgery). Now after the surgeries I sleep without pain, but still on my back. Too uncomfortable still to sleep on my sides. I know that will come with time though as I heal. I think others have been able to sleep on their sides more quickly because they are small in size (weight) than myself. I used to have lots of pillows piled up too! Now I pretty much prefer to sleep with my legs straight.
 
hey @waterman1! looks like you didn't need me to give you that kick in the butt - your surgery is just around the corner! Seriously I'm glad to hear you're doing ok but yes it is a drag to have to go off the ibuprofin. Have you tried tylenol arthritis? I actually found it to be a pretty good drug because it is time released and 2 pills can last 6-8 hours. it wont completely take the pain away, but might take the edge off. I will be keeping an eye out for your posts & will be thinking of you as your surgery date approaches!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Hey Allahere thanks for checking in and sorry it took so long to get back. I have kept myself busy looking for a new auto, swimming a little, dealing with pain...
The new implant for hip 2 is hopefully a Birmingham Resurface. I want this because there is little risk of dislocation in Hip 2. If the surgeon I have chosen finds more deterioration than expected, he will install (funny word) the Stryker Ceramic Accolade II Stem Implant as I understand. Anterior lateral approach surgery. On hip 1, I have a Cobalt/Chromium Modular Stem Implant. You know, I got into more research after learning some details from Z15. Even with his complications, he gave his time on here to guys like me scared to death of these implants, and gave me some relief that we are all getting pretty much the same implants. His first modular implant did let him down, just so you know...
it's been 4 months sense my first hip replacement and 5 weeks sense my second. I'm walking with a cane and sometimes with out it. I'm going up stairs and living without no pain. I walk about 1 mile a day. It is taking time but I'm so grateful I did them both back to back. I was on a walker and wheel chair for nearly two years. Hang in there friend it's light at the end of the tunnel

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
 
@waterman1 I used Tylenol Arthritis for about a year before my surgery. It did help. When I ran out of that on occasion, I would take 1500 mg of x-Strength a Tylenol but it's not as good as the Arthritis formula.
 
Yoo Hoo and Whew this hip is killing me! I'm off the nsaid Mobic and motrin and the Celebrex is not working!! I'm logged back in here where I can whine and cry and somebody will listen and understand, maybe? Ouch, I am back on a walker if you can believe it and it sucks, but only what 5 days to go? Doc called in some Tramadol, but someone said beware this stuff will knock you out, so what's the word all you hipsters, how yall doin?
 
The pain is all in the right hip, the left hip is really good just so there's no misunderstanding, my good hip has titanium in it, yay!! Headed for hip no. 2, yikes but can't walk anyway...
 
Yoo Hoo and Whew this hip is killing me! I'm off the nsaid Mobic and motrin and the Celebrex is not working!! I'm logged back in here where I can whine and cry and somebody will listen and understand, maybe? Ouch, I am back on a walker if you can believe it and it sucks, but only what 5 days to go? Doc called in some Tramadol, but someone said beware this stuff will knock you out, so what's the word all you hipsters, how yall doin?


Well that Tramadol really doesn't do to much for me. It's not a narcotic I don't think. But only five days to go whoooo hoooo. Hang in their buddy I can truly say it does get better. I'm 6weeks out from having my left hip replaced and I can tell you that things are finally coming around. I Can Walk With Out Cane Around The house. When I go out side I take it with me. I can walk about 2 miles so far. I am done with therapy but I work my muscles everyday. Things are still stiff and sore some but no pain. Up and down stairs is good. I had my first hip replacement January 30th and my second April 30th and before any of them I was walker and wheelchair. I'm grateful I am having such a beautiful and bless recovery. I understand every one doesn't so I'm grateful. Listen be aware no two hip surgeries are the same. The first one I had no pain after and the anesthesia didn't bother me. But the second one I was throwing up and had a burning pain very uncomfortable but I was given a pump and it went away the same day. These surgeries are ruff and major but it's worth going through to regain your mobility. I pray all goes well for you friend. Be encouraged. .... (:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
 
Hang in there @waterman1 . It will soon be over. I so know about the suffering before surgery. It sucks!! I feel your pain. The tramadol may help you. It is not a narcotic so no issues with "knocking you out". I took it after my first replacement and before and after my second. It helps some, just like the nsaids, but certainly doesn't take the pain away. It may take the edge off though. Just like @jebrig3164 I have also had both my hips replaced. The first February 21st and the second April 24th of this year. Both hips doing great. I'm on the last few visits of physical therapy to strengthen the muscles and improve my range of motion. Have a follow up with the OS the end of this month.
 
@waterman1 It sounds like you're off the anti-inflammatory meds in preparation for your imminent surgery. That can be a tough period. It's terrific if you never had to take narcotics until now. I took Tramadol and OxyCODONE for a year prior to my surgery. A 50 mg Tramadol is less powerful than a 5 mg Oxy and doesn't "knock you out" but I thought it lasted a little longer. I wouldn't hesitate to take either at this point as needed. You will probably be taking similar meds after the surgery for a little while, so why suffer now? Be careful about driving and also drinking until you know the effects of these drugs on your unique body. Good luck with your surgery.
 
Hang in there @waterman1 . It will soon be over. I so know about the suffering before surgery. It sucks!! I feel your pain. The tramadol may help you. It is not a narcotic so no issues with "knocking you out". I took it after my first replacement and before and after my second. It helps some, just like the nsaids, but certainly doesn't take the pain away. It may take the edge off though. Just like @jebrig3164 I have also had both my hips replaced. The first February 21st and the second April 24th of this year. Both hips doing great. I'm on the last few visits of physical therapy to strengthen the muscles and improve my range of motion. Have a follow up with the OS the end of this month.


Great job. Be encouraged in your recovery

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom