THR Anyone been there done this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, I agree and can I have a do-over, please? Hope you are having a good hip day, BTW...
 
Probably a lot of my joint issues are due to having always been so active (and especially running on pavement -- a big no no according to my OS), but some of it is because it runs in my family. My mother had very bad osteoarthritis and my sister is having a hip replacement in May (sis has never been very active). My paternal grandmother also had very bad osteoarthritis. Don't know about maternal grandmother, as she died while my mother was still a child. OS said it does tend to run in families.
 
@waterman - thanks for posting. It's always encouraging to hear success stories. I will have TLHR on May 28th. As nervous and concerned as I am I too realize life cannot continue to go downhill and I can't stop doing the things I enjoy. I am 47 and want to walk and play volleyball again and sleep through a night. So I hope I can get as lucky as you. Keep up the good work!!
Tee


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@waterman1 - I'm also doing a surgery - RTHR - on June 9, 2014, as you do, and I'm scared, way too much to even discuss it. And my left hip started to burn lately as the right hip did 3 years ago. And even my knees. Doctors say that I overcompensate with a wrong gait these days. But I almost don't walk nowadays, only around the home, I do everything via computer. I wonder, does it mean that I'll end up replacing all 4 joints? No kidding... It it possible at all? Why is it happening? Yes, I was always very active - in ballet, gymnastics, my job, travels - but not a professional athlete. Just a healthy, active lifestyle. No history of OA in the family...Just venting I guess...
 
@frieds My knees complain a bit, too. Right now it is just a sometimes annoyance, and I can't even bear to think of having my knees done, too. @Tasha has had all four joints replaced, and I bet there are others on here who have done so as well. :scary:
 
allahere: Yes, I hear you loud and clear. The hips have been the most painful area to deal with - get them replaced and deal with the next joint and the next as life deals it all out. My right ankle has pretty much fused itself and desensitized over the years, but not the hips they are far worse. Don't sit on the fence, you sound just like me, create a lifestyle in your home where you stop going anywhere is not the answer. I was using two canes and thinking I could beat the pain, but the hips just let me down. If you were a gymnast, then you know about painful sprains and pains - they have added up and OA is what you are dealing with. Talk all you want - I was so scared for years, now my left hip feels great and strong like I could sprint again if I wanted, so come on June 9 for both of us. :)
 
Hey Frieds! How many years ago have we both given up volleyball? I want to play volleyball again. Stop sitting on the fence, I know how afraid of this I was. Down to rarely leaving the house, using two canes, waiting far too long. My left hip feels strong again, like I could jump high and spike a volleyball again, I mean it. Come on, get it done!! Talk all you want, I will answer any question you have as honestly as I can. I am glad for surgery one, and headed for surgery two, yay! :)
 
Good morning all you bad hips out there. I don't know about you, but my right hip is killing me this morning. I have to grab a cane or two to go anywhere in my house. I moved my office into my house years ago and have put off surgery after surgery after surgery for one excuse or another. I replaced my left hip on April 9 and let me tell you it feels great. No surprises, no secrets from the doctors, I did what they said and now it feels good. Drove to grocery store by myself, used a cart and shopped for myself first time in at least six months. Right hip is killing me, but left hip feels strong. Have a great day all....
 
You'll be good. I am 6 weeks out of my second hip replacement and I tell you this I'm going up stairs. Walking and I'm grateful. I can walk without a cane but it helps me balance. I am four months from my first hip. You will be fine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
 
Hey, Hipsters! Took a little break from this, but guess what? I went to pre-op yesterday, and the doc has approved me for surgery on June 23!! Man o man, with two hips replaced I think I can leave everyone in the dust on our next foot race, don't you know, ha ha... Yep, going with anterior lateral I believe, and solid stem ceramic, got it right off the top shelf in the back office of the hardware store where they keep all the good stuff, LOL! I will carry it in with me to the hospital on check in day, hand it to the surgeon. I'll have it all polished and oiled! I'm joking, but I would like to have an implant to keep on my desk, you know kinda like a letter opener or conversation piece, am I being weird? Whew, come on June 23 this pain has got to go. They are going to take away my Mobic nsaids in a week, what do I do then go back on pain pills til surgery, or what? Lay in a bathtub of ice for a week, maybe?
 
Hey, Hipsters! Took a little break from this, but guess what? I went to pre-op yesterday, and the doc has approved me for surgery on June 23!! Man o man, with two hips replaced I think I can leave everyone in the dust on our next foot race, don't you know, ha ha... Yep, going with anterior lateral I believe, and solid stem ceramic, got it right off the top shelf in the back office of the hardware store where they keep all the good stuff, LOL! I will carry it in with me to the hospital on check in day, hand it to the surgeon. I'll have it all polished and oiled! I'm joking, but I would like to have an implant to keep on my desk, you know kinda like a letter opener or conversation piece, am I being weird? Whew, come on June 23 this pain has got to go. They are going to take away my Mobic nsaids in a week, what do I do then go back on pain pills til surgery, or what? Lay in a bathtub of ice for a week, maybe?



You will feel much better with two new hips. I am walking with a cane and going everywhere. I can go up stairs and I can walk some with out it . But I will be limping so I keep for balance. It's been 5 weeks now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
 
@waterman1 Not to much longer before your get your second hip done. Congrats on your date. I know the feeling when they take away your Mobic. They took away mine 5 days prior to surgery. I really didn't think it did a whole lot but boy was I wrong. I was allowed to continue my hydrocodone for pain up until the day of surgery. I was grateful for that, but to be honest the last few days leading up into surgery was brutal. The pain was so severe I could barely walk but I pushed through knowing that the old hips would be replaced soon. Hang in there.
 
@waterman1 We get ours done the same day, June 23rd. Mine is anterior too, and also my second. My left was done about 18 months ago. My right, which they are replacing now, is not so painful if I don't do much, but it annoys me after any physical activity, and the x-rays showed bone on bone. This was the same level of pain as my left two months after it began to hurt about 30 months ago, and which I wanted to not get worse, so I waited for that one for about a year. I could still walk ok, but the pain got much worse, so I just did it. This time I will do it right away.

About living with artificial joints: My golf buddy does everything pretty well with no pain and enjoys life with 2 knees, 2 hips and one shoulder replaced. I guess that inspired me to just get these over with. No other pain, thank goodness.

Mark
 
@waterman1, when you said "solid stem ceramic" did you mean a ceramic stem? What model/brand is it? I thought the stems nowadays are always metal (titanium) and other parts can be ceramic. No? My OS said that even though I'm allergic to nickel, he will use a Smith and Nephew Synergy implant (for my RTHR), that is a metal stem (titanium), oxinium, etc.

And what model did you have in your other hip?

Gosh, I'll never know everything, and I thought I've read so much about these things...

@MarkK - wow, cheers to your friend with 5 artificial joints and doing fine. Help us all God NOT to be there :)
 
Hi Waterman

Sorry I haven't been on sooner [ the top brass will be putting me on the naughty step ] I had both hips replaced been pretty reasonable. Was out painting the new fence over the past couple of weeks, can do the gardening, go out on my bike occasionally and i am built for distance now not for speed. when I go out with clients for a walk they probably eye ball me and think [ old guy ] and march off at a speed. if you could see the looks on their face when we get into the second mile and I pass them as they like a cigarette or two and ask me to stop can be quite amusing. :heehee:
 
Hi Waterman

Sorry I haven't been on sooner [ the top brass will be putting me on the naughty step ] I had both hips replaced been pretty reasonable. Was out painting the new fence over the past couple of weeks, can do the gardening, go out on my bike occasionally and i am built for distance now not for speed. when I go out with clients for a walk they probably eye ball me and think [ old guy ] and march off at a speed. if you could see the looks on their face when we get into the second mile and I pass them as they like a cigarette or two and ask me to stop can be quite amusing. :heehee:



How long did it take you to get there......I had my left hip done in January of this year and my right one done 5 weeks ago.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
 
Jebrig my man, thanks for the note. It is awesome to hear your progress thanks so much. I am done with pre-op and ready for this. Words from all like you give me the hope, faith and strength I mean it!!
 
Forbesy, thank you. I want to go paint my fence and you give me great hope. I am very concerned about losing both hips to surgery as you can tell from my being all over the place on this website. Stay with us here, we need you...
 
Yesterday was super. I tell you I was almost feeling normal. These two new hips are a blessing from the Lord

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom