Anxiety-disordered person awaiting TLKR July 28

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Daystar That sounds like something my husband would say! They are probably talking about a femoral block that will keep the pain away for a few days, gets you through the worse of it. I think that is too much home pt, but remember you are in charge. You can tell them no. You can also request a different one if you get one you don't like. You can talk to your pt and set up a schedule that is good for you both. Take a deep breath! It will all be fine!
 
If they're really easy on you and massage or something maybe. But I think 2-3 days is the norm.
 
I was going to say that sounded like a lot to me. I was scheduled for 2-3 times per week, but sometimes only had two sessions and did just fine.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@Daystar , I hope everything goes well for you. Im sure the actual surgery will go flawless. Im a little concerned about your recovery , being that you have sensitivities to certain pain medication. And you said that your balance is off alot of times. Be careful and use your walker intially for quite awhile. At the very least , elevate toes above nose and ice that puppy for as long as you can bare. And if you find pain meds that you can take , take them on schedule around the clock . 24 hours aday. I elevated and ice for up to 16 hours a day and I never missed a scheduled dose. Best of luck to you , I will watch for your recovery thread. ! Iceman
 
@Daystar Hello and welcome to Bonesmart!! You are at the best place to get your questions answered and hopefully help to alleviate those fears. I too have anxiety and just had right hip replacement on Feb 18th this year and will be having left knee done August 22nd. I really worried a lot before my hip and after it was all said and done I found that the worrying was really a waste of my energy. With all of the presurgery pain the pain post op was really manageable. I know the thought of surgery is really scary. I was able to put my trust in my operating surgeon and let him and God handle it from there. I am still a little concerned myself about my knee being done because I have heard it is a little harder to get over than the hip but I am tired of the pain and mobility issues. I know that your surgery is now 3 days away for you and I hope that you have been able to feel better about it. I will be checking for your post op messages to see how you do. Take care and will see you on the other side. Know that we are all here for you.
 
Thank you so much, @mystikfairy61! I am feeling better since taking my therapist's advice to take Klonopin regularly, even in little bits, to keep blood levels even. I'm trying to decide on a name for my "other side" thread. I guess I'll get it set up before the operation. I will be removing "anxiety" from the title.
 
@Daystar I was not getting alerts so I have missed out on your progress reports. Totally agree about keeping the Klonopin levels consistent --stops the yo-yo effect. You are doing great! :wave:
@lorl Prayer works wonder! We will be cruising from Auckland to Sydney next February--so excited about it. :SUNsmile:
 
You are almost there and will be the one calming me down in September! Watch and see. Lol. A calmness came over me the few days before surgery last time. I was able to trust the experts at the hospital to take good care if me. I wasn't disappointed - everyone was wonderful to me! I have a busy weekend and in case I don't get back here I wish you all the best. You will be in my thoughts and prayers!
 
Oh @Daystar Cindy, I feel so bad. For reasons unbeknownst to me the internet Gods have not been alerting me to updates to your thread. I'm all caught up now though. You've been suffering so badly with your anxiety and worrying.

First, please do talk to your doctor or therapist about Buspar. I only occasionally had dizziness with it and when I did it only lasted a few seconds. Like the room taking one quick spin and it was over. And that was not every dose or every day. I never did figure out why it happened or why it didn't.

Because I was having daily, some days ALL day long, panic attacks I became so depressed. It was awful! I had nausea 24/7 and would sometimes go days without eating a thing. When I did eat it was maybe a couple of crackers or something. I lost over 50 pounds (needed to but not that way!) and was absolutely miserable. I was working at the time and I forced myself to go in but I literally counted the minutes until I could come home again and lay down and sleep. All I wanted to do was sleep. When I was asleep I didn't realize how horrible I felt. My husband has described it as watching me melt away. Horrible! Horrible!

My panic began following a very bad and violent car accident in 1996. Eventually after a year of dealing with the anxiety and depression I was diagnosed with PTSD (I had thought and believed my son had died) and given proper medication to deal with it. After only a few days on Buspar (it took a lot of convincing on my part to convince the doctors that the depression was a result of the anxiety and not the other way around) I finally began to feel better. I stayed on Buspar for about 5 years because I was so scared of the panic attacks returning. Eventually though I got brave and took myself off of it and much to my delight I stayed panic free until I suffered the loss of my dad and then my mom 3 months later. I had to briefly go back on it for about 2-3 months and have been off it since. That was in 2010. I still worry excessively but no panic attacks at least. Some days I feel I come close to going back over that edge but haven't for more than a few brief times.

I'm not sure what Klonipin is. The only anxiety type drug I was ever given before the Buspar was Xanax. I'll never forget that day. I had been to my doctor in a complete panic. I was a mess! Sobbing and crying, begging for something to make it stop. He gave me an Rx for Xanax. I went to the pharmacy and had it filled and came home and took one. I was sitting in my chair and in about 20 minutes, for the first time in over a year I felt NORMAL!!! I just sat there and cried. I had forgotten what it felt like to feel normal. How sad is that?

My wish for you is to find your normal again. And I pray your surgery goes remarkably well and you can put your recovery worries behind you. Please don't give up on finding an answer to your anxiety. It is worth it to keep fighting. The version I gave here for my battle is way over simplified. Just don't give up!!!

(((hugs)))
 
@gr82cu2 I so relate to your story as I had similar experiences with panic disorder. The first med I was on was Klonopin and it worked wonders. I was on it for about 2 years and then only needed the occasional Xanax. The disorder reared it's ugly head 10 years ago when I had breast cancer and Xanax did not control it. By chance I was given Effexor for severe side effects of estrogen withdrawal --totally stopped the panic attacks too! If I ever need to go off it I'll ask about Buspar.
Here is info on Klonopin: Clonazepam is used to prevent and control seizures. This medication is known as an anticonvulsant or antiepileptic drug. It is also used to treat panic attacks. Clonazepam works by calming your brain and nerves. It belongs to a class of drugs called benzodiazepines.
 

@gr82cu2 Oh, Janet, what an awful time you have had! My experience is somewhat similar, only I have never had panic attacks. I have what I call milder panic attacks that just won't quit. Sounds kind of like what you're describing. They have gone on for weeks and months in the past. I also have lost lots of weight during these times because I have to force myself to eat. I'm diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder. I can live with it most of the time but not when I'm having one of the massive anxiety blow-ups. I also get depressed as a result of the anxiety. My grandmother was the same. This didn't start until I was in my early twenties, and most of the time even after that I as okay. Klonopin is the same class of drug as Xanax. They,re benzodiazepines. Klonopin has a longer half-life and stays in the blood longer. People can get into trouble with benzos, but if you know the dangers and are careful with them, they can be very helpful. I was just thinking today that Klonopin doesn't give me any kind of high, it just makes me feel normal. I can feel my thinking straightening out. I don't want to take it for more than a few months at a time, though, so next time I see my psychiatrist (October) I'll ask him about BuSpar. I also think my new therapist will be helpful. Unfortunately, she is leaving at the end of the year.

I won't give up trying to find answers, for sure. High levels of anxiety are impossible to live with, and the depression isn't too great, either!
 
@Chihuahuan Believe me, after my ordeal I sing the praises of Buspar when given the chance. It turned my entire life around in about 5 days! It is non-narcotic, non-addictive and when you go off it there are no withdrawal symptoms. You start out at a lower dose and over the first few weeks work your way up. I think my highest dose was 15 mg. twice a day. If I remember, 30mg twice a day is maximum dose. When I was first on it it was name brand only but is generic now. The only other, I guess you'd call side effect, I had with it was sometimes about 30 minutes after I took my dose I would feel what I can only describe as a rush for a few minutes but it was not unpleasant. When my mom was living still and she was having to deal with my dad's alzheimer's disease she was having panic attacks a lot. I went with her to the doctor and got her on it and she did well also. My mom had a lot of issues with medications but got along well on the Buspar. Buspirone is the real name. Buspar is the brand name, I guess? :shrug:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom