Guest viewing is limited

Anxiety-disordered person awaiting TLKR July 28

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Daystar It wasn't until I started having panic attacks that I learned my dad did also and had been having them for years. He just never opened up about it for whatever reason.

Mine were like that, just never quitting. I would fall asleep from exhaustion while in a panic attack and wake up in one with my heart feeling like it was going to pound right out of my chest. It truly was horrible. And exhausting! And every other adjective one can think of.

Definitely stick with your medication you are on now. Whatever works is best but do ask about buspirone. If your doctor agrees, it might be worth a try because on Buspar you don't have to worry about avoiding addiction or withdrawal like you do with the benzos. That alone could cause a panic attack! Like I said, it was about 5 years before I got brave enough to try and go without it. My fear of the panic attacks coming back, even ONE panic attack, kept me from going off it. But I do pretty well now for the most part. I'll always be a habitual worrier and when things mound up like they are for me now with this surgery and my poor sick kitty it can feel overwhelming but I'm managing.

(((Hugs!!!)))
 
@gr82cu2 Janet I am a worrier, too! I guess that's part of GAD. I would be a basket case if I were getting ready to have a TKR and worrying about a sick beloved pet at the same time. Things much less intense than that can cause a lot of stress.
 
@gr82cu2 Wow what a time you had!! I have anxiety and have been on Klonopin before but am only on Vistaril right now which doesn't always do the job. But that is from my regular doctor, really need to get into a therapist about it. My regular doc seems to think my legs feeling like they want to take a walk without me is restless leg and it giving me meds for it, which does nothing. I just hate having to go back on meds for the anxiety but I guess if I ever want to get the obsessive worrying and anxiety under control I am just going to have to go see somebody. Thanks for sharing and helping me realize that maybe I do need some help with this and that I can't do it on my own. Oh I had been diagnosed with General Anxiety disorder as well.
 
Hi, @mystikfairy61! We do have our problems, don't we? Therapists can be very helpful if you get a good one. I don't know if it's the same in all the states, but in PA therapists can't prescribe. They often do know a lot about psych meds, though, and can work with your regular doctor if both are agreeable. My PCP wanted me to see a psychiatrist for meds a few years ago. I was kind of like, what? A psychiatrist? Really?? Psychiatrists mostly just do meds nowadays. They don't do therapy. But they know a lot about medications. I hope you do pursue getting your worrying and anxiety under control. Certain kinds of psychotherapies seem to be very effective, too. I'm investigating that. Good luck!
 
I did not get the tag from your Monday post so just getting back to read your thread. Yes two knees was what I wanted done at one time. I am lazy when it comes to structured exercise and if I was going to be home recouperating and following through with boring exercise then both was a good idea. I had regrets after I was released from rehab and had to deal with getting use to less pain meds (they gave good ones at rehab) and a "bug" that I picked up and wound up in urgent care on IV two days after I got home. Had my share of ups and downs and as I say all the time, thank goodness for BS.
You are close to your surgery now and at this point worry will do nothing but increase anxiety....the plan is in motion, allow yourself to go with it, take deep breaths, don't think about "what if's", say "so what" to them. I know it's difficult when you have anxiety but remember that your thoughts play a big role in how it manifests. Besides deep breathing, progressive muscle relaxation also works wonders in telling your brain that you are calm (even if you aren't), trick it into believing you are and it will stop sending stress hormones out that can only make you more anxious. Life will be so much better for you very soon! Focus on what great things you will soon be doing ....you know...walk without pain, or just walk period!
Again, sorry I didn't get back to you sooner....and by the way.....I suffer from anxiety as well but have learned to use the above mentioned techniques, music (can't be anxious listening to upbeat music) and a lot of self talk when I see it creeping it's nasty tentacles into my thoughts. Takes time to perfect, it will work and I find it works better for me than just taking a pill 95% of the time. The other 5% ...it's better living through chemistry and I'll take a pill.
Sending good energy out to you!
 
Thanks, @sibbi1123. Love the better living through chemistry quote. :giggle: I remember hearing that on TV many, many (many) years ago. Don't remember what company used it, though.
 
Just a few hours left. I can hardly believe I'm at this point. I really need to start thinking about what I'm going to take. My husband is working tomorrow, so I will have to drive myself to the hospital and do all the pre stuff by myself. I guess I'll leave my post-surgery stuff in the car, and hubby can get it when I'm in my room. I hope I can get a private room! A lot of people who get operated on on Friday by a different OS apparently leave on Sunday, so there might be one available. On the other hand, I don't register until 10:15 tomorrow. Surgery is at 12:15.

I think I will go over to the recovery side and open my thread. Be back later.
 
Best of luck to you tomorrow! Won't it be wonderful to finally be able to put all of this worry behind you and focus on your recovery? I'll be thinking of you at 12:15 and sending good thoughts your way!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Best of luck to you! You will be in my thoughts and prayers @Daystar post when you are up to it!
 
Good luck Cindy! I'm in the same boat with deciding what to take. I know I'm taking jammies even though I won't get to wear them till my 2nd night (hopefully), my laptop and charger, phone and charger, Rx meds, toothbrush & toothpaste, some lotion and chapstick. I'll wear home what I go in. Oh! I'm taking my own pillows which they said would be alright. I hate those plasticy hospital pillows. They are so hot and noisy. I may take some ear plugs to drown out all the beeps and buzzers. Maybe an ipod and headphones or ear buds? And I'm taking a few snacks. The cafeteria there where you order room service is only open 6:30 am - 6:30 pm. That could be a long hungry night if sleep is difficult. Also, since my surgery isn't until 11:30 I bet I won't even be cleared to eat anything until after it's too late to order. They said all they really have at the nurse's station is saltines and jello. Yuck!

I hope to get a private room too. The orthopedic hospital where I'm going has 42 beds but only 31 are private. At the pre-op class they asked who wanted a private room and of course everyone raised their hand. One of the questions we were asked was do we snore and can it be heard beyond a closed door. I said yes! At least that's what hubby claims. I would have no idea, LOL. Hopefully we both get lucky!!!
 
Good thoughts and best wishes for tomorrow. I'll be following your Other side thread! :flwrysmile:
 
@Daystar
Best Wishes for you on Monday. Will be thinking of you and when you are able look forward to your posts on the other side.
 
@gr82cu2 Yes, I have decided that I'm taking some......stuff. Okay, I have to take a shower tonight but not with Hibiclens. At the joint replacement class last week, we got two big packets with six huge cloths each. And then a little diagram with six labeled body areas. One cloth per body area. Shower, wait an hour, wipe body areas thoroughly, feel sticky all over but don't do anything about it. Put on freshly washed pajamas. Sleeping is up to you. Tomorrow, DO NOT SHOWER!! Use second package of six wipes, feel sticky again (can hardly wait), put on freshly washed clothes. I forgot about the clean clothes thing and had to wash an outfit by itself. I will undoubtedly take something to the hospital. For instance, copies of my advance directive and power of attorney, which they kind of creepily asked for. And some of the anti-constipation muffins I just made. If I need anything else, my husband can go get it. We only live 5 miles from the hospital, it's not like it's a crisis if I forget something. I am going to try and get my brain to focus one of these minutes, though.
 
I really don't like hearing about seeing people "on the other side." Kind of creeps me out. I'm not sure I want to be on the other side. This is the side I'm used to. I feel like I'm going to be somebody else "over there." And like I'm really moving somewhere. Time to do some deep breathing and listen to my guided imagery CD. I'm not very good at guided imagery, though. Maybe deep breathing and a Klonopin. I probably sound like I'm using a lot of Klonopin, but actually I'm just taking two 1/4 mg half tabs a day. As long as I take them regularly and keep the blood levels steady, they work. I'm going to take a whole tab tomorrow morning, and then we'll see what happens after that. :chillpill:
 
I grew up in Illinois also in a little town called Monticello. It's east central Illinois between Champaign and Decatur.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom