Bilateral THR Anteriors 15th June 2015 - my recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
YES!!!! Woohoooo!!!!

Major congrats & a great triple of good news. Well deserved & I hope all three behave for you over the coming months.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forumn
 
HI Suzette, I was thinking of you over the weekend. I have been in my very supportive running shoes post op and had a function to attend so pulled on some dressier shoes.. very low heel and comfortable-ish. Walked around in them for several hours and seemed ok. The following day I was sore! It took me a while to figure out that it had to be those shoes! I wonder how m much of your issues started with something small like that? Guessing that you couldn't wear jogging or walking shoes to work? It affected my large muscles in the thigh, I am guessing that it was the balancing on a different sole.

Interesting...
 
Hi...I have not actually thought of the shoes. I have been wearing a low healed shoe too when I am out of the office working, now there is a thought. I think I am going to go and buy some new work clothes plus some comfortable flat shoes.

So Al, I need to do now is pass the occupational health check so I can start work in the NHS. I hope they don't right me off because of the back and hip issues.

Had to do a 4 hr drive today after standing for 7 hours. ..never ever need to be doing that again. My last day is tomorrow.

Friday will be shopping day, hope everyone is well, xx
 
Whoooot whoooot a mega smile on.my face pal

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Phew what a week. So last day was last Thursday, I spent the day catching up with work from previous 2 weeks. Ran 2 medical terminology webinars .like seminars but on the Internet ... first time I had done those...last time too. They went really well even though I felt I was talking to my self, they could hear me but I couldn't hear them. Still had lots of nice feedback. That was a great finish to the last day.

Had rather stiff hips and butt. But was very glad I had an automatic car on the long trip and having to stand for hours. Had to take tramadol as it got quite painful.

I was stressed when got to office though, as I had not seen Boss for 2 weeks, i was advised to tell her i had I a new job, she told me it was with her client and she wanted a word with me. And she wanted to protect 'all that is hers..' to say i was angry was an under statement. Anyway, HR lady had a word with her, at the exit interview, she apologised ..sort of...the rest of the day was pleasant , I will miss my mates there.

I was supposed to have the injection into bursa on the Thursday evening, but as the hospital hadn't sent the letter to the GP, didn't have it done. See another gp on the 10th Dec, unless I can get in earlier. I am going to ask for an MRI on hips and back as I cant fathom out where the shin burn throb pain is coming from on my right leg, and the burning in my left hip and leg. All of it may be from the driving, but it is getting more painful and tramadol is needed more often.

So today, I caught up with house stuff and tomorrow I have occupational health telephone consultation. I hope they do not decide I am not fit to work...that will be disastrous plus not correct either. Fingers crossed that goes ok.
Then I just wait for a start date.

Pick up another rabbit tomorrow too, to add to the ever increasing collection of rescues.

I need to catch up with everyone too. Ooh @CricketHip , I hope you are doing well I need to catch up with your thread, but I bought some comfy shoes, they feel so nice with soft leather. Have ordered some more and therefore...no heels.

@Legin @lalo how are you doing ??

Xx
 
Life is never dull hey?
I'm sure OT thingmabob will be fine there might even be some things they can let you have to aid back and leg etc.
Watch out for the man eating bunnies, they make you al relaxed then...........


Legin THR Sep 14
 
So Al, I need to do now is pass the occupational health check so I can start work in the NHS. I hope they don't write me off because of the back and hip issues.
Well I worked in the NHS for years with both back and hip issues. You should be fine. Please let us know how it goes.
 
Yippee..spoke to a really nice nurse. Who after a few minutes said that she is happy that I am fit for work and she will recommend a nice comfy office chair to be put in place. That was a relief as my brain was doing over time on any issues they may come up with.

Thanks for your support again everyone :flwrysmile:xx

Now just wait for references from the employer of 6 yrs ago. Then hopefully a start date. In the mean time, I am going to chill out :yes!:

@Legin we did have a male bunny, Ali G, he was called...he was very nice but then chased you round the garden and charged and attacked the ankles with big teeth. He even attached to my hubbys face and wouldn't let go. He was like that rabbit on the monty python film ..Can't remember the name of...that grabbed someone round the throat!! We had to wear wellies all the time so he couldn't get the ankles ....he had to go to another home...
 
Great news! Well, except for the mess up about the injection. I am so disappointed for you! I guess December 10th isn't too very far away. sigh.
I am glad to hear you bought some comfy shoes.. I really was rather surprised at how sore my legs were after wearing a less supportive pair.
the rabbit story is hilarious.. I love quirky animals like that. Well, until they attack my ankles, or throat! :yikes:
 
Way to go Suzzet !
Glad your work nightmare is over and happy you were deemed fit for the new position.
Not having to do all the standing and driving will help you heal. And I have heard that shots are also very helpfull.
 
Super, @Suzette , congratulations to your new job. I wish you a good start and lots of luck. Hopeflly the throbbing leg pain will subside soon. Take care
Constanze
 
Hi everyone..been to gp and sorted out a new pain medication and sleep regime....had to reintroduce tramadol into the equation properly to stop the yoyo of pain . So up to 8 tramadol a day, but if pain is ok, so to speak, take Co Codamol instead. Gabapentin 300mg at night and in morning, amitrytilline at night.

I certainly am sleeping, a lot!! and could not take this routine if working. So the injection is due on the 21st December. Let's hope it either works completely or at least take the edge of the constant aching throb. Funny thing I have noticed as well, when I raise my leg , it feels like a tight elastic band from the incision to the outside of the thigh, by the bursa. The skin is also pulled in, so there is a dent across the same area. It's very weird feeling.

Am still waiting for a start date for the new job , I think it will be after Christmas but not sure when. Also not sure if I should contact them or just wait. So in the mean time I seem to be gradually rearranging the house.....

So I hope you are all doing well and have started the Christmas shopping .....I have so far managed to avoid any shops but I think I may have to venture out , sooner or later. Sooner would probably be a better idea !!

Lots of love xxx
 
Nice to hear from you. Sounds like you have the opportunity to get some rest and plenty of sleep. Hopefully the shot will help reduce the pain. I'm sure the wait will seem like forever. You take care and enjoy the time off ,it will go by fast and before you know it you will be back in fray.
 
Whoot I'm ahead of you, several trips to online purchasing and two no three trips to the shops. I must admitt after first visit to shops next time I wore my steel toe caps to protect my foot and toes

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Hi @ lalo so sorry not to have been around. First was mega busy then couldn't log onto bonesmart. So I have managed to avoid Christmas shopping in actual shops!! Although I have been to shops to get new work clothes. I really do not like shopping !!
It's now not far away and I am having a bit of a panic as I keep thinking I have forgotten something.

@Legin I know what you mean about steel toe caps...One reason don't like shopping , Plus people don't indicate when they suddenly stop to look in windows or change direction!!

Well I had the long awaited injection into the bursa, I didn't feel anything other than a bit of pressure. Not sure if it has done anything yet, it can take a few days. My butt still throbs. I am getting a little frustrated that GPs don't seem to be aware of piriformis. But good news is, the dr today contacted the physio dept and they rang me tonight asking to see me tomorrow. That was very quick, especially as I have been waiting for the hospital to sort it out....they have not.

So I am hoping they can give some help with the butt pain and the IT band. The IT band may sort out if the bursitis is sorted though.fingers crossed.

So I have started new job unofficially, and am working from home. Official date is 4th Jan. They are totally disorganised. ....I feel I may have to attempt to organise things, but very carefully, being new, the existing staff seem like they actually can't be bothered with anything....maybe they are fed up!! Gulp !! Maybe if I offer to help put the organising in place, I. E electronically rather than no record keeping at all, and keep on on top of it, they may be happy they aren't doing it....its a thought.....

Still I am getting 6.5 hours sleep...It was 8 but am worried when I start work properly I won't wake up!!

Well @lalo and @Legin , I hope you are both doing well and are ok and any pain is controlled as much as possible xx

Be back soon xxx
 
As always great to hear from you. I hope the shot helps. Let me know if it does. Although it is much improved I still have the sciatic/butt pain. I tried to see how I do if I stopped taking muscle relaxants and went 3 days but the pain increased significantly so I took one today and its back to manageable.
I'm pretty much living a normal life but I have to watch driving for more than say 2 hrs and I can't sleep on my back, if I do the sciatic kicks in.
Do you find that certain activities make your pain worse?
On a somewhat related note the OS suggested that I have a bone density scan on my next Physical and I had it done last week.
Well it turns out that I have osteoporosis on the femural head on my good leg. ??? The spine and rest if hip ok. So now my general Dr suggested I go see a rheumatologist.
I so wish I could say that all of this is past me.
Anyway I'm s heck of lot better.
Best wishes to you @Suzette.
 
Hope @lalo that's great things have improved. I must admit this button ache is getting on my nerves so am hoping the physiotherapy lady can help out or at least educate the gp.

I have to say, the activities I did that made the pain was driving so much. Now I have stopped driving stupid amounts of miles and rhen standing for hours, the sciatica in my left leg from my previous bad back, has gone. I am so relieved as I was worried I would have to be operated on if it came back permanently.

The right leg is pretty much the same with the ache and stinging in the thigh and butt. But have also noticed that the scar on that leg is being pulled in, so I now have a deep groove in the top of my leg, about 1.5 cm deep. It's as if it is attached to my muscles and aches quite a lot.

But saying that, I was getting sciatic pain in my right calf. That's gone too, since the driving stopped.

So looks like the driving was causing the pain and also now having an automatic car has helped a lot too. What a relief.

It good they have found the osteoporosis as they can now treat it to try and prevent any fractures. In the UK osteoporosis is one of the disease areas the NHS focus on and treat to prevent fractures occurring. They used to only check women, as it was seen as more of a female problem, but now the NHS check both male and female equally with dexa scans to check bone density. Fingers crossed they can now treat it for you.

I will let you know how the injection effects the bursa pain ad also if the physiotherapy lady can help too. Am hoping I get some deep massage !

Look after yourself. Oh what muscle relaxants do you take. I have amitriptylline 10ml. They knock me out though!

Xx
 
Cyclobenzaprene
I think the prescription says take 2 a day but I do pretty good with just 1.
I take it at around 5 pm or sometimes if I wake up in the middle of the night ill take it say at 2 am
it does make me sleepy but the effects peak at around 3-4 hrs so I can schedule around it.
I'm sorry you are still having to deal with pain related to the surgery
Have you noticed that most of the other summer hippies have moved on?
I just would love for the butt/sciatic to go away. Then we too will be able to talk about our surgery in the past tense.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom