Guest viewing is limited

THR AnnieRose new hip June 5<

I used the cane for the first time today. It’s real tempting to hold onto the wall. I was klutzy at first. I will practice later. Big day tomorrow. I get rid of the compression calf cuffs and the visiting nurse takes all 31 staples out.
 
Happy Monday :flwrysmile:
You're hitting those milestones bing, bang, boom! Three in a row! :yay:
Good for you. Progress feels so wonderful.
I was klutzy with the cane initially also. It felt scary after the security of the walker.
If you have a limp, practice heel-toe walking. Heel hits the ground first, followed by toes.
Takes some concentration but it really helps.
A great evening to you!
@AnnieRose2
 
Hi Annie Rose! That's great to hear ~ amazing!
I didn't like the cane (initially) because it hurt my wrist and I was leaning too much. I wanted to keep my posture straight while walking and felt better supported using 2 crutches (from the walker). From two crutches, I then switched to 1 crutch, then went to the cane (which still taxes my wrist at the end of my longer walks) but it's okay now.

I even went back and forth during the week of transitioning to smaller assisted devices, meaning that once I went to 1 crutch (from 2), I would still use 2 on occasion and especially when I went out of the home ~ I liked that support in initial outings ~ then when I went to the cane, I still used my 2 crutches for bigger events that were more than a hour or so. I greatly appreciated having them and enjoyed my outings much more! Having that support is really nice : ) now in my 5th week, I'm only using the cane and feel comfortable and supported with this device, I'm also walking more without the cane but mainly in my home and have been the past few weeks ~ I too used the kitchen and bath counters to transition when not using my walker, crutches or cane ~ totally normal and recommended per my Physical Therapist!

I just finished my PT and was so inspired by your message yesterday that I took some time after to meditate and do some breathing with a few simple poses, Mountain for one : ) I'll save the tree for later...lol.
Thank you for inspiring me : )

Sending you warm wishes and positive healing thoughts and vibes today ~
 
Last edited:
Here's the normal progression for using the cane:
1) Using while holding on to other objects for support.
2) Free standing, but spearing the ground.
3) Using it for balance only.
4) Soft shoe routine.
You're rolling right along, AR2! Impressive!
 
Hi AnnieRose, I've been quiet for awhile and just checked in. It sounds like you are doing better. I think yer progression to the cane is inspiring and I'm glad you are progressing. :flwrysmile:
 
Hi AnnieRose, I've been quiet for awhile and just checked in. It sounds like you are doing better. I think yer progression to the cane is inspiring and I'm glad you are progressing. :flwrysmile:

Luvs..soul sister. I know you ve been quiet..I hope it because all energies are healing, loving and moving forward. I’ve been thinking about you. The ups and downs of this trip are like a roller coaster..one of those scary ones that turn you upside down. Our friends here are the safety bars holding us in... tell me what’s going on with you. Hope it’s good.
I was so happy to get rid of those compression calf cuffs . Small victories..
I waiting for nurse to take out staples. Valium and Tylenol are my sword.
AR2
 
What a nice update @AnnieRose2
You are going to love that first shower. I know I did.
Actually I didn't enjoy the shower as much as the way I felt afterward.
It was a quick one, that first one, but nonetheless satisfying!

Yay for staples out! Milestones.

Give em your best runway walk for the video.....work it girl!

Hope your day is fab!
 
What a nice update @AnnieRose2
You are going to love that first shower. I know I did.
Actually I didn't enjoy the shower as much as the way I felt afterward.
It was a quick one, that first one, but nonetheless satisfying!

Yay for staples out! Milestones.

Give em your best runway walk for the video.....work it girl!

Hope your day is fab!

@ Layla..thank you, sweet Layla. Enjoy your day
 
:flwrysmile:Hi Soul Sister, I saw your post that you had the staples out and got to shower. I don't see it here now, but am sure I read that! A shower sounds wonderful. I'm a good sponge bather and luckily, not a sweaty person. Washing my hair yesterday in the sink (w/o bending of course) was great. Did you get your P/T extended? My therapist says she writing the reports with a bit less progress than I'm making so as to have more visits since my post-op got delayed to 7/2! Another consideration as I understand, is that Medicare will not pay for home health except for a homebound patient. My P/T mentioned this to me. I told her I walked out front a lot yesterday rather than I went out to lunch! She's on my side, but I erred in caution as I have seen services terminated during my work days. Basically, the patient can only go out for medical appts. Experts: is that correct?
 
Luvs.Soul Sister..Shower was great. Ahhh , the little things in life. A true lesson in gratitude. PT was here today and we reviewed the safe way to enter the walk in shower .( cause i did it unsafely and almost fell) Yes, my PT was extended. 3 more sessions. It's all bureaucracy..who's approving this , who's paying for that. UGH. My Tip, now that you're getting around, review daily life with PT. My goal is to get down the 12 steps in the house and get into car. PT said he won't drive with me..Eh, don't blame him..My kids say the same thing..Happy Hippy Day to you!
 
I really need to wash my hair in kitchen sink its higher than the one in our bathroom. How do I bend without bending. I'm two n a half weeks out from my THR. and I'm scared of dislocation my new hip. Have just used a shampoo shower cap thing....now my hair feels even yucker.....also. I have found my already thin hair is thinning even more.....any advice would be appreciated my Bone smart friends xx
 
Hi :hi: AnnieRose
Happy for you on the first shower. I haven't forgotten, how great it felt. It was quick but felt like
such an accomplishment. You're right, so many of the little milestones after THR make you feel grateful of all the things we so easily took / take for granted.
I have every confidence you'll get down those 12 steps. Let us know how it goes...
Hugs and best wishes for a great end to the week!
@AnnieRose2
 
Hi Soul Sister! I hope you are doing well today. I do envy the shower. It will be awhile until I'm cleared as my post-op isn't until 7/2. I know you mentioned a challenge stepping in to your walk-in shower with shower chair. I have the same set-up and am curious what you were advised. I will ask my P/T as well so I will be prepared.

I hope today is a good vibe healing day for you. Are you finding that it's getting more challenging to find the balance between moving forward and staying still to rest? I'm so ready for the next phase of driving, P/T in the community, and showering.
 
"a challenge stepping in to your walk-in shower"

Hey Soul sister .I had the chair where I was looking out of shower, the regulator to my side..Thinking it was easier to turn and just sit down. I had my cane in one hand and used the one arm of shower chair as support. The shower chair does have suction cups. BUT you must apply equal force on both arms..or the chair tips. I caught myself. Now I have chair facing the controller and water regulator. The PT showed me how to safely get in and out... Next week. we will practice my getting in and out of car.
I have up and down days. My ankle is swollen again and my knee hurts. The NP. said just walk it out, ice and elevate. Then she said, get rid of cane , soon...(like next week).. It's not a month yet since I had surgery..Oy vey
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom