Guest viewing is limited

THR AnnieRose new hip June 5<

I had a basket too!
Someone took my picture at one week out...I looked pretty pitiful:heehee:
All temporary!
The energy drain is super normal.
Our body is using all of our energy for healing.
And yeah, the incisions were a little shocking too.
I didn't have staples but wicked none the less...again, all temporary.
Hang in there.:console2:
 
Last edited:
Happy One Week Anniversary, Annie!
Energy Drain is common. Your body is working hard to heal not leaving a lot of energy for much else.
I didn't have staples but have read many times that removal really isn't a big deal, so I'd d try not to worry.
It sounds like you're doing pretty well. I hope the rest of your week is good!
@AnnieRose2
 
Good to hear from you Soul Sister, AnnieRose! I hope you continue to improve and I will follow along behind you and learn! I have a tote bag from the hospital on my walker and keep the grabber in it! It's amazing how often I drop stuff or find things I can't bend for I didn't think about! Keep us posted on your journey. Sending hugs and love!
 
Kind words, Annie....thank you!
I hope your day is good and the weekend even better
You're on your way! :happydance:
@AnnieRose2
 
Major progress.
I washed up , got dressed and straighten out my bed ..all by myself.
I'm still wearing calf cuffs. They are somewhat an obstacle. But I did it!
Final victory, I can't find my yoga strap to move my leg, so I improvised with one of the calf cuff straps
I am Moving Forward!
 
Hi @AnnieRose2
Just mentioned this to someone else....a bathrobe belt has worked as a Leg Lifter for many.
Sounds like you're doing great! Good for you. You are moving forward.
A wonderful day to you :SUNsmile:
 
I had bladder retention too whilst in hospital, and catherised twice
Thought it just me...but read Anny rose 2 and Hippylife now I know I'm not alone the hospital made me think I was weird because I couldn't wee
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Ursula, boo on those health care workers. ..you’re not weird. It’s the drugs they gave you.. as long as your pipes are open, you’re good to go.
All those puns intended.
 
Major progress.
I washed up , got dressed and straighten out my bed ..all by myself.
Yay!:ok: Lots of Firsts!
I called my mother one day and told her something similar after a major milestone.
She said...Good Job, again!..I think I first told you that when you were five.:heehee:
 
Good Morning, I'm glad to hear that everyone is progressing nicely.

annierose2 I know that feeling of being able to independently clean up, dress, and move around! I'm pretty capable execpt getting my leg back in to the bed is challenging. I'm also using a yoga strap and a long scarf which is wider. My bed is high and it's better to have a helping hand to lift the leg but I strive to do it and not wake up hubby. I'm a prolific pee-er and every hour and half I seem to need to get up. AnnieRose, I do hope the cold symptoms have gone away and you are feeling better. I had that immune system crash the week before surgery.

Ursula, Mojo, and Layla, thanks for your support and insights along the journey.

Love, Claudia
 
Friday is Blueday for me. I thought I was a big shot yesterday, moving around , getting things in order and doing challenging PT . Standing with total weight on affected leg while abducting the good one. Did 10 reps. 2x. Plus other movements..WAY TOO MUCH.
Well , I paid for that. Didn’t sleep. Pain level back to week 1. Then, for some unknown reason, this AM , I sat on a folding chair. I could not get up..(tip, Don’t do that. )It took 2 people to lift me up.
Today was scheduled Home PT and the Home aide . I cancelled both of them. I just want to be alone.
I have a screwball sister. She knows I had surgery. She sent me one little emoji, “thinking of you” last week. Nothing else. I know it’s her and not me. I wish I didn’t think about her and her selfishness.
. Ehh! I have to stop thinking about that. I have to eliminate negativity. Even a good friend , is getting competitive and comparing my healing to hers. She was able to drive 2 weeks after her hip..(ugh. Good for you. ) I’m not allowed by my OS till 4 weeks.
I got to get my head right. Stop this tape playing in my head. Make a plan for today. Repeat my Mantra, Moving Forward.
I’m glad to have this space to vent.
 
Vent away, my friend. The Blooz are a stone cold drag. What helps me is to recognize that most of time they're chemical - just the end result of being tired - and I should resist the impulse to try to connect the mood with real work events. I don't fight the Blooz, I try to let them run their course while I do something else. Sometimes I journal, lately I post snarky stuff here. Be selfish. Feel a little sorry for yourself.

And I sympathize utterly - last night I had a mood crash thinking about how much better some people seem to be doing than me, and today I've barely moved from the couch. You are not alone! Let us be crazy together for a while, let's say bad things and swears about our troubles that would get us banned from polite society, and then let us laugh together, get up, and do too much again. After all, we've got things to do.

Just not today.
 
Hi @AnnieRose2
I hope Saturday brings you a better day. I am just starting my P/T. It will be 3x/week. I hope I can keep myself balanced between my desire to do it all and do what I believe is healthy without pushing. My therapist seems to have a good philosophy about not creating more pain. We'll see. I am taking a yoga perspective on the exercises, slow, mindful. breathing, and ahimsa - do no harm!

I know that challenge of getting a negative tape going in your head. I found myself in that mood yesterday in spite of all the successes I've been having and feeling less pain than I have in months. The balance between my expectations to be independent and to be pampered are confusing to hubby at times. I found myself in a bit of a pity party yesterday because he hadn't made it to the grocery store, I continued to get calls about his 98 y.o. aunt I oversee who'd been hospitalized, and blah blah who knows what else.

I'm blaming my meds! (not me, of course LOL!) I titrating off the tramadol and trying to get back to just 1/2 tab am and pm as I did pre-surgery. I did take a whole 50 mg. before bed last night. I think the drug does block some energy mentally as well as physically. I'm trying for a lower dosage with longer intervals today and plan to snuggle in and read all day. It's a June gloom day in SoCal so perfect to hide away.

I hope today's better and am glad we can vent here and support each other. Let's pace ourselves and move forward together, soul sister! xoxoxo
 
Last edited by a moderator:
There is no reason for you to prove what you can do, dear @AnnieRose2 .
I'm sorry it's all getting you down.
I am sorry you are apparently like me, and have to learn things the hard way.
Our femurs were cut off, and the sockets removed and replaced, and titanium rods were inserted in our femers, all while they were keeping our muscles and tendons stretched out of the way with ...I don't know...salad sporks?

Can't imagine why they don't want to be aggravated right now.
Meanwhile, post op blues set in, and NOBODY seems to understand.
You deserve a little pity party every now and then, it's a hard thing to adjust to.
You will get back on track and we will be cheering you on.
 
VENT AWAY Annie Rose!
We've all been there and continue to be challenged no matter how many weeks post surgery : )
I did too much just at the end of my 2nd week....had to cancel/reschedule my PT and was literally in bed for two days icing and elevating, this after going out to a little party ~ I thought I was ok going out because I stayed seated at the party but wow....it did a number on me! Guess that was my "wake up call" and my body telling me to slooooooow down! My doctor said my body would tell me if I did too much...boy did it! I literally thought I did something horrific (like fracture my femur)...it really put me into a different space and made me realize that I needed to take time to recover and heal. After a few days of rest, I felt much better!

Your not even two weeks post surgery....take it easy and let your body heal per my surgeons instructions : )
AND NO this is NOT a competetion! We're not trying to be rock stars here, while we all like to know what is typical in the progression of recovery.....we're not competing ~ just let that stuff roll off your back! My doc said I could drive after two weeks but I waited until 4 and even then I just went a few blocks....the challenge for me was getting in and out of the car because you want to keep your hips aligned....my mom drove after 3 weeks (now she's a rock star) but again...everyone heals differently : )

Be KIND to yourself, give yourself a break! I caught up on a bunch of movies, was in bed for two weeks solid post op apart from walking to and from the bathroom and kitchen a bit.

Sending you LOTS and LOTS of positive healing thoughts and vibes!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @AnnieRose2
I hope you're feeling better today. The after effects of exercise, or over activity can sure sneak up on you.
It feels good at the time but then you suffer the hangover. I'll bet lots of icing and rest will take care of that.

I'm sorry about your sister, maybe that's all she's capable of giving. I think it's hard for some to express their emotions, maybe she's just one of those people. I promise we'll be there for you so come here to vent or be encouraged. We have Bone-obo also to cheer you up and make you laugh. You don't need anyone else, you've got it all here for now. Forget your friends ignorant comments. Consider "avoidance" temporarily until you're feeling stronger.

Blue moods happen, we're here to testify, been there done that. Just hold on, it will get better.
Sending love and a warm hug your way :loveshwr: :console2: and wishes for a brighter day!
 
Checking in: what color is today?
Bone- obo..What color is my day?? Brown...
. In my effort to eat lots of fiber, I chowed down on way too much trail mix ..nuts and dried fruit..
Plus Hubs added bene- fiber to my oat meal. What a guy!
So it’s Smart water and brown rice ..
Otherwise I m doing better mentally.
Thanks for checking in.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom