Guest viewing is limited

THR Anniepops THR Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Annie

Frustrating isn't it when we want to do a particular movement. You mentioned how you bring your knee up by laying back on the bed... I actually do that to get my sock on.. I look totally ridiculous, but I figure eventually my body will listen to me and I can do it the right way.

Not sure I can comment about the stairs as we don't have them. But I do notice that if I am going down three or four stairs at work, I don't seem to be straight and I feel like I waddle.. Trying to be aware of it and correct it.

Time... I guess that is the key and patience - which I am trying to cultivate more of...

Sending much love and hugs xx
 
Hi Ann,

Your 12 weeks update sounds just great!! Do you feel your confidence growing as you have begun to progress with your movements and activity? I ask because I think I "hear" it in your post... :thumb:

It does take a while for the muscles to get back into working order for that seated leg lift that you describe -- and it sounds like that motion had not been an easy one for you prior to your surgery. @alexthecat: might have some suggestions that would help with this movement.

Also, when you mentioned that your incision was a little sore the other day that reminded me that around the same time post-surgery I began to message my incision and smooth at it some. This helped with some of the lumps & bumps and tension in the tissues at that spot.

Lastly, what you see regarding your knee to ankle/foot angle.There probably is a change in the angle of your hip and your body is still adapting to this and healing in general. Because of this you may be swinging your leg out to the side some as you walk. This will change and improve as you continue to adapt to your new stride and as the muscles and tissue heal/stretch/strengthen over time. I have also found that this improves some as the tilt in my pelvis changes. It is a lot to take in when you are walking and may at times seem frustrating, with your new hip there are a whole lot of mechanical adaptations that come along with it that take some time to adjust to...

Take care,
Cardie
 
Sandy, I can imagine how you look when getting your sock on. The positions I used to get in pre op to get dressed were hilarious. Fingers crossed you manage to get there in the end

Take care

Ann.x.
 
Cardie, thanks for tagging Alex, hopefully she will have some ideas. I am feeling very positive about my recovery and I know I have had it very easy compared to some of us and for that I am thankful. I don't know where I would be at if it wasn't for all the Bonesmarties but I do know it wouldn't be as far as I am now.

Good idea about massaging the incision area, I didn't think of that thanks.

I just couldn't get my head around as to why below the knee isn't straight as that area hasn't been touched and I don't think I had a problem with it pre op but you know, maybe I did but didn't notice, now as I get better I am much more aware of my operated leg.

I am now making a conscious effort to try and keep the leg as straight as possible when doing the stairs. Onwards and upwards.

Take care

Ann
 
Sure sounds like a muscle things to me! Alex our exercise guru is that person to give you some advice. I am sure she will be along soon.
 
Onwards and upwards INDEED!!! You sound like you're doing brilliantly!:thumb:

I'm still trying to increase the flexibility and therefore ROM in getting my operated knee as near to my chest as possible, as I want to start rowing.
Since I've been going to my gym and really working on the bike and rower and then doing LOTS os stretches I think my knee is a couple of inces closer to my chest than a month ago. I've still got about 4 or 5 inches to go at least, whether I'll get there I dunno but I'm sure trying hard!
I think the main reason is inflexibility in the hamstring and glutes, my main stretch (the one that works best for me) is kneeling down and then dropping my seat towards my heels whilst supporting myself on my hands in front. I then lower my chest as far down as it will go and keep it there for 20 - 30 seconds and repeat after straightening up. I do this 3 or four times and then stretch my hamstrings in the normal ways. I also do a standing version when I need to stretch on a dog walk, hands on knees, stick butt out and then "bend ze knees" as if skiing!
I manage to get my socks on ok now after being nowhere near for the first three months.
Keep everything moving and don't rush let your body weight do the work but gently!!

Hope it's some help.....

Charlie
 
Hi Ann! Leaning back in order to lift that leg is cheating. It's also not good for your back, so try to avoid that.

Here is what I would suggest to try to get your hip flexors working again:

1. Sit in a chair with your legs about 6 inches (15 cm) apart.

2. Bend over and reach toward the floor. Just relax in that position for 30 seconds or so.

3. Sit up straight. Lift your nonTHR knee toward your chest. Be sure not to let your spine arch or round as you do this.

4. Lower that leg and try to lift your THR leg. Again, pay attention to maintaining a neutral spine. If that leg doesn't move, lift it with your hands, while still trying to use the muscles to lift it.

5. Alternate between your legs like that 10 or 12 times per side.

Another exercise to try is walking like a horse. As you walk, lift your knees as high as you can. This will train your body to lift your legs when you walk, rather than swinging that leg out to the side. Just do that for a dozen steps a couple of times per day.

It may take a few weeks or longer to get this worked out. Just be patient and keep at it. Some of these things take time.
 
Alex,

This may be a "dumb" question but where exactly are the hip flexor muscles and what do they do? I'm going to try this exercise because it sounds like something I can do. Thanks. @alexthecat:
 
The hip flexor muscles connect the thigh bone to the lower spine or pelvis. They are used to lift your leg toward your torso and to swing your leg forward at the beginning of each step.

Good luck with that exercise if you try it!
 
Thanks Charlie and Alex.x.

Charlie, tried yours, do you mean you would end up doing
Iike a kneeling press up. I couldn't understand the dropping to your seat whilst supporting with your hands in front , are you leaning forward at this point. I'm going to keep trying thanks and the skiing thing too.x.

Alex, I done quite okay at yours but the problem I have is, when I lean forward and stay there for a few seconds I then get a deep pain in my right ribs, as if they are twisting, it's probably muscular but I have had this problem for years. when I would bend down to shave my left leg in the shower I always got the twisting feeling and it is very painful,it only ever happens on the right side.

So, I couldn't stay bent over for the full 30 seconds but held out untilthe pain came then continued with the rest. Had to concentrate on keeping my back straight as my body wanted to bend but it actually worked a bit.....woohoo...I managed to lift my leg about an inch off the floor unaided which is a great start so thankyou. I tried it in a comfy chair at first but that was impossible so moved on to the dining chair and I done it there.

I have been doing the horsey walk in the back garden for a while as I thought I would have to get my knees up there, obviously wouldn't do it in public cos I don't want to look like John Cleese :th_heehee: but will continue to do it in private.

Thanks for the advice you guys, as always it is very much appreciated.x.

Ann
 
You know Annie.....

I think I am going to really read your thread. You are running into a lot of the things that I am running into and you are a week after me POP.

You are getting great ideas for your recovery and it also will give me a different angle to look at things when I know that someone else is going through something similar. Thanks so much for your past support I know I haven't said it as much as I should :friends:

Take care :ATT637464:
 
Tip for the day----

Got this one from my son the hockey player.

Tape the razor onto a one foot ruler and you can shave your legs alot easier. Why he would know about this I didn't want to ask.:th_heehee:
 
Carol, that's right. Most of those exercises are for people who are not following precautions. The exception to that is the horse walk. That is a gait training exercise that can start anytime after surgery, as long as you don't lift your knees above your waist. I started that one two days after my THR.
 
No not a pressup!! What I was trying to describe is a "Z" shape so I'll try again.

Start on all fours then lower your behind as far as it will go towards your heels. When you can't go any further walk your hands out as far as you can and then hold this stretch for 20 - 30 seconds. I do about 5 of them at least twice a day.

Hope that's a bit clearer?

Keep on going lassie!!

C x
 
Does your stretch look like this @charlie cyborg:

[Bonesmart.org] Anniepops THR Recovery
 
I had to laugh Madrocker I have my razor taped to a pencil and have spent this afternoon with a bowl at my feet shaving my legs lol!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom