Guest viewing is limited

THR Anniepops THR Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning Jane, you're right, it's not unlike a summer pudding either, eating it with bread. Hope you have sun there today too.
 
You must be kidding! This is Wales!

Sorry to hear about the trouble you've had sleeping. I must be lucky, or foolhardy, as I moved to sleeping on my side pretty quickly, and even on my tummy from time to time (but then no one ever mentioned restrictions to me). I too have back pain, though, and in the afternoon when I take to my bed (makes me sound like an old Victorian lady!) I prop myself up with a pillow, put a couple under my knees and wedge a hot water bottle where the lower back pain is. I stay there for a couple of hours, not asleep but reading etc. If the hwb doesn't work, then I take a couple of paracetamol and that usually does the trick.

Please send some of your sun our way!
 
Jane, I've had a word with the sun, hope it arrived at yours:biggrin:
 
Got a copy of the nurses letter which she sent to my GP. The following is for me to refer back to.

External rotation of hip........20 degrees. Normally 45 degrees
Abduct.......30 degrees. Normally 45 degrees
Flex......75 degrees. Normally 90 degrees

So I have some work to do! Have been doing some marching and am loving that. I deffo feel some benefit after doing it. Side abductions standing I find realitively easy, clamshells are very difficult and my hip feals uneasy whilst doing them but I can move about an inch, hoping to improve in time. Lying side abductions, can move out but not in at all. Have to try lying leg lifts,start those tomorrow.
 
Hi Ann,

Were these ROMs taken pre-surgery or at your follow-up appointment the other week? Either way, I'd say those are workable numbers and I predict that you'll see improvement in them with both time and when you begin your physio work!

Those clamshells are a pretty subtle movement compared to the other ones where your leg is straight. If it doesn't feel good, you are doing a fair amount of other stuff for your gluteus medius, you could take a break from it and come back to it in a few weeks time...

You've got plenty of time to do your "work" at improving those numbers -- no rush!! :thumb:

Oh and how is your back today -- better, I hope! You'll get back to the tummy sleeping in a few more months.

Take care,
Cardie
 
Cardie, it was at my 8 week check when she checked my ROM.

I will hang back on tne clamshells until I am a bit stronger and continue with the things I feel comfortable with. I have to keep reminding myself I have only been weightbearing for three weeks so am going to take longer than the more straightforward THS's where they can get cracking much sooner

Backs much better today thanks, have gone back to using my back wedge in bed and not trying to sleep on unoperated side as it is rather uncomfortable.

I just want to say a big thankyou to you for helping me through this, i really appreciate your input.

You are a real treasure.xxx
 
Oh Ann, you are too sweet!! :blush:

I am more than happy to offer up ideas & glad that you find some helpful. It is a different journey for those of us with congenital hip issues & I wished I'd had some connections with others before my surgery and in the early months when I was so frustrated and uncomfortable after my surgery. I'd asked for my OS to make a connection for me with someone that was a CDH patient that was a year out from me and he declined to. So, I am just trying to help anyone else that might be facing a similar situation.

Thanks for explaining the sarnie, slurp slurp :snork: I didn't think it sounded that bad...
Got my xylitol @welshjane: for the next batch of rhubarb -- I'll give it a try! If only I could get rid of the sweet tooth...

Take care,
Cardie
 
Hi Ann, you know I had that feeling too of, " am I ever going to be able to sleep comfy again and be able to snuggle". I am not there 100 % yet but the snuggles have returned. I need to change positions much more often but all of a sudden things got more comfortable, so that will happen for you too :)

I had a pretty weak hip going in and I had to abandon my leg lifts and clams for a while, and i am weight bearing much longer than you. Now that I have built up a bit of strength I have gotten back to them. Doing the clams properly, keeping my back up against something, there is very little movement, but my PT says "quality over quantity" which I think is a good motto. Much more movement on the leg raises.

All in good time as they say. The sleeping thing is quite frustrating, then all of a sudden things change so keep trying different things here and there. Hope you have a good weekend. -Cathy
 
Hi Ann,

You're getting some great tips from those hippie girls, all I would say is try a little every day and you'll be surprised how much you can improve in a week! I'm not saying give yourself hell but just stick in there and take it gradually.... as Sandy says (amongst others) it's a marathon not a sprint!
I always take positivity from comparing where I am today compared with where I was a month ago and then project forward a month.... does that make sense?
Have a good .... if chilly weekend!

Charliepops
 
Hi Ann

Just catching up reading a few of the posts on your thread... Understand totally about the sleeping thing... but I can tell you hon, you will be able to snuggle again, I must admit I revel in the lying on my operated side these
days and you will too :)

I have to agree with Jane about the hot water bottle helping the back ache.. I often resort to using it as my pain relief.. With my CKD, I just can't take pain meds, not even paracetamol right now.. but live my hottie :)

Big hugs and thanks for popping by on my thread xxx
 
Hi Annie,
I have both hip and back stuff too, so LOVE my 'Hot Club Sandwich'. Here's the recipe. Heat on lumbar, icepack on hip, electronics of choice, and a sippee cup. It's my narcotic of choice:biggrin: Nice way to end the day, or mid day break. A bit of a tangle to get back out of, but worth it:wink1:
 
Hey Cathy, it sounds like you are doing fab, pleased to hear the clams are improving, I will try putting my back against the wall,seems like a good idea. Also pleased to hear the snuggles have returned, me too...in a small way, I can get comfortable on my operated side now whichis pure heaven. Have ditched the back wedge but still have three pillows for now. Keep up the good work Cathy.x.

Charliepops, thanks for the encouragement, i am still adhering to your positivity mantra, you're dead right about looking back to where we were a month ago, we do have to keep that in mind as the weeks go by.x.

Sandy,I have been using a hottie, sorry to hear you can't take any pain meds, that must be difficult but I'm happy to hear the hottie works for you. The lovely heat you are getting at the mo at the beach house hopefully will be helping too.x.

Bionica, your 'hot club sandwich' sounds ideal but I do feel hungry just thinking about it.lol.

Thanks all for popping by

Take care

Ann.x.
 
I haven't been doing too bad but I'm having a bit of bother from below the knee which I didn't totally expect. I thought all my aches and pains would be above the knee area.

My foot is really aching funnily enough, on the side. I'm guessing it's cos of the different way I am walking now so I am back on one crutch in the house and two outside in case I am walking the wrong way without aids. Will see if that improves it any.
 
Hi Ann,

Well, it sounds like you are starting to experience some of the adjustment related aches and pains in various seemingly unexpected parts of your body. It is amazing, isn't it!! Good to use the crutch or cane for extra support if you are feeling particularly uncomfortable or tired at the end of the day. I don't remember you mentioning using a cane, but if you do want to try that instead of the crutch, you use it on your opposite (non-THR) leg and it strides forward at the same time your THR leg goes forward. (Maybe you already know this, I did not prior to my surgery).

This all sounds pretty normal as you are starting to move about on your own more and it will get better with time. :thumb:

Take care,
Cardie
 
Hi Ann

Isn't the body a little miracle factory, pleased you are doing well. What you are describing are pretty normal for post major surgery. I found that my knee hurt a lot and the only bruising I had was around the knee, very slight. Then as I started to move around, my feet gave me all sorts of bother... but happy to say that it does settle down, but don't be surprised if more sore spots pop up... all to do with the body realigning itself.. good luck :)
 
Hello Annipops, just dropping by. Yes, Cardie and Sandy are right. All sorts of funny little pains crop up all over the place, or they do for me, from the back downwards - thighs, knees, calves, feet. It obviously takes the body a while to readjust to the new normal.

When you transition from the crutches to a stick, you might find two sticks helpful to start with, and later on maybe walking/hiking/trekking poles. They have certainly helped me keep a straight back and stay symmetrical when walking - better all over, I have found, than just one stick.

Cheers, Jane (it's raining again, by the way - what's new???)
 
Thanks all for reminding me that these new aches and pains are normal:thumb:.......I'm certainly not liking the flippin foot pain though and really need to concentrate on keeping the left foot straight when walking. It is soooo easy to just slip back into my previous way of walking especally as I still have a limp.

Cardie, I couldn't get away with a cane before my op, I found a crutch more more comfortable but I do have a couple of folding canes so will give one a go when I return to one aid thanks. Still using two crutches again due to the foot problem.

Nice to see you Sandy, it's been lovely to hear how your break has been going. Hope you got home safe and sound.x.

Jane, funnily enough I was looking at some hiking poles last week in Aldi but they were only £4.99 a pair and I thought they might be a bit cheapy so I didn't buy them but I am thinking of getting some after reading how good you think they are. I'm hoping to do some walking over rough ground, fields and stuff with the pooches when I am a bit stronger.

Still staying Charlie positive and enjoying having no hip pain whatsoever, oh and lying on both sides for a little bit every night which is heaven:thumb:
 
Hi Annie,
I also have the foot pain on my right and knee pain on both knees, even though it was originally on y right also. It is literally a pain and still waiting for mine to improve.

In relation to the crutch/cane debate, my understanding is that it doesn't mattter what you use. I still use a crutch as using a cane makes me feel ' older'. Sory, for my ageism but I tend to see elderly people with them.

I do find a crutch more comfortable and no-one has told to me a cane is better.
I would use what you find more comfortable.
Jyoti
 
Hi Jyoti, I'm sorry to hear you are still suffering with knee and foot pain, it must be so frustrating for you, I can only imagine how I will feel if mine continues for a long period. There's only so much patience a person can have. Have you been given any advice about how to improve it?

I know exactly what you mean about using a stick. I think it is more accepted when the older generation use a stick and I did get stared at more whenever I used mine as opposed to the crutch(like I had two heads or something...people can be so rude!) but I'm hoping I eventually I will manage to walk for quite a bit before my body needs a bit of help and so later on I will be carrying my folding stick around with me in case I need it.
 
Just dropping by and have to add, UGH on the rest of the body issues. Seemed like for a while there I almost had no pain in my hip. The pain then went to my knee for a bit, my back and now my butt. Geez I say! It makes sense intellectually that the rest of the body would have to adjust, but emotionally very frustrating. Hang in there. "This too shall pass" as they say. -cathy
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom