Guest viewing is limited

THR Anniepops THR Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go Charlie... You can do it Cuz :) xx
 
Thanks Cardie and Charlie, at the moment I can't even get my bum to reach my feet due to my knee bending issue but I will keep trying that one.

Carol, thanks for the tip, I'm gonna give that a whirl when my legs next need doing:thumb:

I have been very lazy with my home PT the past few days what with one thing and another but have dine a fair bit of walking instead. Still got swollen sore knee and my foot is killing me especially first thing, the tendon above my heel is my new one now........never mind, I'm sure it will improve in the end. It's quite interesting when a new pain crops up, I didn't think I could hurt in so many places lol.

Other than that I'm doing well, still on one crutch outside and expecting to be for some time yet but hey who cares.....we've got sunshine:biggrin:.......and no rain.
 
Ann, do you mean the Achilles tendon at the back of your ankle? It's common to experience stiffness there after hip surgery. At least that's what my PT told me. He told me to gently stretch that every day after all my surgeries (not just THR). It made a huge difference for me.
 
Thanks Alex yes I do, I couldn't remember the name of it last night......I blame the menopause, it is sending me quite loopy:biggrin: Anyway, done some stretches this morning and it has really helped thankyou.x.

I remembered this morning, on Monday I wore little pumps for the first time since I was 19 as then I had to start using a heel raise so no more slip on shoes for me and I'm thinking it might be wearing those all day has affected me.....guess I was a bit over enthusiastic wearing them for the whole day so it's back to my trusty strap on sandals for a while yet.
 
Hi Ann when you sy you can't get your backside to touch your heels yet .... join the club neither can I but by trying to each day I'm getting closer. Wait until you've warmed up your muscles a bit ie don't try 1st thing in the morning when they're cold and then go as far as you can, little by little you'll get there babe.

Charlie x
 
Hi Annie, well if you're even trying to get your bum to touch your heels, you're way ahead of when I last visited your thread. The pose I think you and Charlie are talking about is the child's pose in yoga. I can get my bum to the heels but then I can't get my top bit down to the floor. My yoga teacher always advised me to have a bolster, rolled up blanket or whatever between the bum and the heels to aid with achieving some sort of approximation of the pose.

And you're down to one crutch outside, so things are definitely getting better. Enjoy the lovely sunshine!

All the best, Jane
 
Hi Annie, just dropping by to see how you are progressing?

I read Janes's comment about touching your heels to your bottom, I was showing off at work the other day whilst standing and tried the unoperated leg and then the operated leg and got dreadful cramp in both legs immediately... Felt a right twit actually!

And so, I have paid the price, because I am icing again whenever I get the opportunity as I have stirred up something - who knows what, but rest and ice will fix it.

How about an update hon?
 
Hi Sandy, thanks for popping by you kind caring soul you :friends:

I'm at a stanstill at the mo, hips no problem at all but still got Achilles, ankle and heel issues, also inside of knee pain when doing exercises. I'm dong the Achilles stretches Alex recommended frequently whichhelps but when I get out of bed I'm strugglng to walk for a bit due to a really sore ankle etc. i'm guessing it's all to do with the realignement issues.

:th_heehee: at you showing off, bet you won't do that again in a hurry but we will try these things won't we. I surprised myself the other day when I managed to get my heel up to my bum whilst standing but my knee's still tight and swollen so I could feel it there. I am able to put on pants without grabber now but I am doing it the way I used to pre op, i.e. flipping foot to the side and upwards, this is probably not the way to go on as I need to get out of this habit but it is good not to have to find the grabber every morning.

Keeping up with the home PT and still waiting for an appt with hospital PT. Hopefully it will come soon.

Ann
Xxx
 
Hi Annie I've just been going through some threads and can't believe you were offered no physio or given an exercise sheet I thought everyone had some form of physio after their thr op I was given information sheets and exercise sheets in a pre op hip pack at the hospital did you have such an app offered where you discuss any concerns etc I must say mind in 5 app with pt only 1 was really beneficial I think that's why I agreed to the hip class I was offered hydro straight away but not sure if it's also down to my other problems and the fact I've had muscle wastage for the last 6 years in my hip and 'no strength in my body" so I got told 3 year ago we don't live miles apart and I did not have my op in my home town I'm amazed you and by the sounds of it many more haven't been offered pt etc I know what I'm going to say might sound very selfish but up until the hip class I'm not sure pt has done much for me I'm so weak (or feel very weak) and I'd have thought that coming up to 14 weeks post op I'd have been a lot stronger but on the other hand I've had some which means I'm luckier than you and others have been. Seems very unfair is this the postcode lottery again.you sound as though you are doing really well so keep up the good work Ann and good luck
 
Hi Angie, yep, the aftercare was pretty rubbish, non-existant really that is why I was so happy to find Bonesmart, I seriously don't know how I would have coped without the support I got on here, I appreciated it so much and still do.

My situation wasn't straightforward so I thought I might have been offered PT but no such luck. I did persuade the nurse at my check up to sign me up for some but still waiting for that, never mind, it will happen eventually, patience patience patience:rolleyespink:
 
Not uncommon to get no PT here in the UK. I too had to ask my GP for a referral. I have a bad back and the pain from my new gait was really getting to me. Asked my GP and he was happy to refer.

But having said that - a big reason BoneSmart was created was the lack of information both pre and post op on joint replacement. BS certainly helped me through my journey.

Hope you get that referral soon Annie. Give a call and bug your OS office on Monday.
 
Hi Annie, here in OZ our surgeons don't believe in post care Physio. We do have a Physio working with us each day in hospital and I was given an exercise sheet in hospital. But my surgeon said to me (and I stress this was to me personally) - ' Just keep moving, and walking, because this is the main function of a hip, to allow you to walk' . I did discuss pool walking and he was ok with that when that when the incision was healed over and clean, and I did do that for a few months. But winter here has stopped that!

I had frightful muscle wastage due to needing the surgery for at least 8 years and soending the last almost two years draped over a walker, leaning on my elbows, staring at everyones shoes! So gentle walking and gently pushing my ROM when I thought it was ready has worked a treat for me. I stayed on my walker for about 8-9 weeks because it helped my gait. I found because I had spent the extra time on the walker post op, I was so much stronger and practically went from it to unaided straight away.

But I do understand that PT can and does play a valuable part in recovery for some, for me, it wasn't required. I know have full plump muscles and walking very well. Still get tired if I overdo it it, but then I waited 8 years and was very disabled for the final 2, so I don't expect to be 100% at six months. I have my own time frame of 90% recovery at 12 months and 100% recovery at 18 months... But of course that will get interrupted when I have the other hip done... The date for that is being heavily debated in our household!

Hugs xx
 
Hi Ann,

Well, that is fantastic news about getting your pants on without the grabber!!!! As you get stronger you will experiment with trying different ways that don't involve the other habit that you describe but for now don't worry about that... :thumb:

Sorry that you are having all that foot and ankle pain -- did we talk about shoes before??? Are you wearing your old shoes that have a big wear pattern on the heals?

Take it easy on the walking if it is making everything feel sore and unbearable. It's ok to do the stretches and other exercises that you've been reading about here in the forum until you get in to start your physiotherapy.

Take care,
Cardie
 
Yoohoo

Jaycey, still two weeks to go till appt may come through so I will give it a few more days before ringing hospital about PT, thought about going through GP but decided the hospital physio person might be more experienced in joint replacement PT so I decided to wait for that appt first.

Sandy, I am amazed you managed over 8 weeks using the walker, I only used it for one day in the hospital and really didn't like it at all, it hurt my hands and wrists a lot using it and I was so happy to move onto crutches but it's great that it worked so well for you, we have to go with what works best for our particular needs. The way you describe how you were post op...draped over the walker sounds so sad, that must have been really difficult for you, it makes it even more heartlifting to hear how brilliantly you are doing now.

Cardie, I wanted to ask you about shoes. I have 22 pairs of shoes( trainers,boots and strap on sandals)... I know, it's a lot.lol but over the years I bought many pairs of shoes and a lot of the time they would seem fine in the shop and in the house but once I wore them outside I realised they weren't suitable for me so I have plenty to last me for years to come. I have been sticking to my preop sandals, I have three pairs of these and they weren't worn down or anything so have been okay.

However, I got some new flip flops...yey....the other day and have been wearing them on and off the past couple of days. I seen that you mentioned wearing flip flops in another post and wanted to mention that my feet are feeling a lot less sore since wearing them, especially my Achilles pain. Do you think they are good to wear in our situation. I'm wondering if the way I am walking in them is helping me to walk better???
 
Hi Annie, absolutely you are so right we have to progress our recovery the way that is best for each of us - we know how we feel, we know what our muscle strength is, we know how mobile or immobile we were pre surgery etc etc..

I love reading how other members around my surgery month are progressing, but I have tried very hard to not compare my progress with anyone, I hang on to the thought that it is my journey and no one else's. So days when the blues come round I remember how I was pre surgery and think - wow, look at me go now...

I wear Crocs at home (not so much during winter) but find that the challenge for me is to walk bare footed, around the house I find this helps me test my gait and am I walking heel toe, heel toe.. I find with shoes, boots, Crocs I can't get the sense of the floor beneath me as well as barefooted.

I am thrilled for you that you feel you are walking better in your flip flops! xx
 
Hey there just catching up on you. Thanks for what you said on my thread:

"I know what you mean about looking as if you don't need a stick, I can walk from my front door to the car on the drive no problem and I think I look quite recovered but I get to a certain point when walking......and it's not a very long point.....when I know I couldn't go on without my crutch. I'm sure the neighbours must think I take my crutch out with me for effect.lol."


There is just one part of my stride that is just not strong enough and the pelvis drops and then the limp, then the back pain. However it is much better than it used to be. I practice in the house one step cane, one not, trying my best to keep pelvis even so my body can start remembering what a normal stride is without the cane. I kind of talk to myself when I am doing this (I am alone :) asking my body to remember and telling it I will keep trying to help it heal. Weird, but what the heck right?

I see you all were talking about the child pose. I also call it the surrender pose. At the risk of really sounding like a nutcase, when I try and I do mean TRY that position (and pre surgery) I say the words " I surrender", while breathing out. It is not only to tell my muscles to let go but also my mind, which can wreak havoc in my recovery if I let it.

Last comment, sorry a bit long already. Shoes! I have been wearing the same sandals also and am having a hard time transitioning to even my tennis shoes. Seems the sandals are a bit sloppy, then when I put on shoes that fit better, it forces me to walk different and my body screams. I am interested in your shoe experiences beyond sandals and flip flops if you care to share.

Long enough, glad to catch up on your thread and sorry about you other issues. Crazy isn't it, that we have this new appliance, that works good, and then the rest of our body reacts all over the place. I am with you on that one sister, hang in there :hairpulling:
 
Hi Ann,

Well while we are on the topic of shoes & feet -- this is the little stretch that I do for my feet at night (before I do the child's pose).


[Bonesmart.org] Anniepops THR Recovery


I don't really know if the flip flops are "good" for our feet or any other part of our body at this point, or even for a regular person for that matter!! But they are sort of fun --

I had been chatting with my rolfer at one point about some theory I was working on about my walking and she suggested that I *not* consider trying to get new shoes with additional arch support. Her logic really seemed to hit home for me in that she explained that when we use orthotics and increase supports for our arches that we are not using the muscles in our feet and legs the way there are intended & they get weakened and injured. She encouraged me to begin walking barefoot at home some and concentrating on my big toe & spreading my toes and allowing my foot muscles to be activated and used. So, that's what I've been doing!! :thumb:

Now that I no longer wear a lift on my shoe and have a daughter that has feet the same size as mine, I also began wearing her flip flops around the house too and enjoying that tacky flapping sound they make... :th_heehee:

I will share that the other day I wore my daughter's new and really expensive running shoes for my evening walk and that was a bit crazy, they were very soft and spongy compared to mine and I had to exert way more effort to walk in them. Then I think I was sore the next day in weird ways... :skeptical: I have been trying to find a new pair of tennis shoes for a while now.

Well, 22 pairs of shoes, that is quite a collection :wink1: Glad that you have some that are workable. I use mainly Keens and Birkenstocks for now.

Take care,
Cardie
 
Hi Cathy, nice to see you back. I can't really say much about shoes, have been wearing my trusty velcro sandals most of the time but I have worn trainers twice (too much of a palaver really as hubby has too fasten them for me) but I found them okay, I liked the feeling of the tightness around my foot. I felt like I was walking the same but it's difficult to assess when you are using a crutch methinks. I had lots of issues when I wore little pumps one day for the whole day!.x

Cardie, it was probably a daft queston about the flip flops but I am quite keen to find any way to improve on ths foot pain so was interested in whether they worked well for you.........I would wear them constantly if it helped. They have quite a deep outer sole and a gradual heel, about three quarters of an inch and I wonder if that's why they feel better...who knows eh!

It is frustrating when a different type of shoe affects us quite badly, most people only have to worry about blisters.lol.

That was kind if your daughter to share her trendy running shoes, are you going to have another try wearing them?

Oh, and I'm still striving to get that stretch, feet still will not touch bum but I feel like it's improving thanks.x
 
Cardie, it was probably a daft queston about the flip flops but I am quite keen to find any way to improve on ths foot pain so was interested in whether they worked well for you.........I would wear them constantly if it helped. They have quite a deep outer sole and a gradual heel, about three quarters of an inch and I wonder if that's why they feel better...who knows eh!

It is frustrating when a different type of shoe affects us quite badly, most people only have to worry about blisters.lol.

That was kind if your daughter to share her trendy running shoes, are you going to have another try wearing them?

Oh, and I'm still striving to get that stretch, feet still will not touch bum but I feel like it's improving thanks.x

Hi Ann,

Does your flip flop have a little height to it like these? I wonder if having the height of a small heel is contributing to your achilles tightness? Do you notice if you feel sore when you transition from a shoe with a heel to a flat shoe & your calf/achilles have to stretch further towards the ground?

[Bonesmart.org] Anniepops THR Recovery


I haven't wore the cushiony running shoes again -- yet... I tried a different pair of running shoes of hers too and they were not quite right for me either. I seem to need something that isn't really soft on the sole.

Don't worry about the Child's pose stretch -- if it was something that you could do before your surgery you'll get back to it at some point and if it's new than you'll work up to it in a few more months, you've got plenty of time!! :thumb:

Have a good weekend,
Cardie
 
Oh my, it's all new.....not sure I'm liking the paleness, bit hard on the eyes methinks but I will get used to it I'm sure

Hi Cardie. Yes they are the type of flip flops but not quite as high. I actually feel less pain in my tendon when wearing these so yes, less stretch when wearing a raised heel. I am now alternating shoes to see if that helps strengthen different parts of my foot. It's funny how we can feel pretty much right away that a particilar shoe isn't right for us, still, at least I have a lot more choice now which is fantastic..... Oh, was going to do a smiley there but have not got the option.

Hope you have a good weekend too Cardie.

Xxx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom