Guest viewing is limited

THR Anniepops THR Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Ann I've been reading about your ankle pain I get that too really bad on a morning too does you inside of your ankle feel really tight? I asked pt and she said it was cos they were swollen and the skin was stretching! My gp said it was due to the fluid in my feet and ankles! But no advice etc il try them stretching exercises myself see if they help too
 
Angie, the whole of my ankle feels tight and it really impacts on my walking firstthing for a few minutes. That's interesting what your PT says, i don't have any swelling around my ankle now, at least I don't think I have, will check in the morning. I am also waking during the night with it now, think it's when I lie on my back as when I turn onto my side I feel instant relief! Fingers crossed we both get over this very soon. Oh and the exercises do give relief I usually do some foot dancing before I get up which does help a bit.xx
 
Well I have had loads of indoor exercise the past few days. Got a UTI so have been visiting the loo practically every 15 mins, so up and down the stairs many times a day. I tried over the counter stuff for two days but no difference so have been to the walk in clinic this morning as, as well as feeling pretty horrible I was concerned about infection and my new hip so though it best to get it checked out. Got some antibiotics to take for three days so hoping that sorts it out.
 
Thanks Angie, I am so much better today, arn't antibiotics wonderful things :egypdance:
 
Hi Ann, now that I've been "let back on" (haha) I thought I would see what's shakin with you. Sorry you are still having some issues. I asked my doc about the child's pose and he actually would like me to hold off on it for a while. He said there is still a risk for dislocation so to wait a bit on that one. Everyone has a different opinion don't they?

Not the same issues you are having but I find I am kind of stuck wearing this one pair of keen sandals with my super feet insoles in them, like before surgery or my crocs. When I try to put other shoes on it throws my whole body off. Thank goodness it is summer here.

Hope you get your foot thing straightened out soon, after all, we sure do need them to work properly through all this recovery so if they are on the blink, it is not a good thing. Cathy
 
Hi Ann I'm glad you're starting to feel better how's your ankles are they still better with your pillow underneath?
I think we are going to get up one morning and be so much better with everything and it will stay that way
I'm terrible still haven't tried my shoes on yet I will let you know once I do hope they are ok mind because my old ones are really no good now
Take care
 
Hi Ann

So pleased the antibiotics have kicked in with your UTI... No fun at all!

The whole conversation about shoes is so individual isn't it and yet so terribly important to our continuing recovery and gait. I must admit I have found the most perfect brand of shoes, NZ brand Ziera. I find the little ankle boot supports my feet and ankles well and they are as light as a feather. So good, I went back yesterday and bought another pair.

So sorry, you are having feet, ankle issues, hopefully it will be all better soon :yay:
 
Hi Cardie. Yes they are the type of flip flops but not quite as high. I actually feel less pain in my tendon when wearing these so yes, less stretch when wearing a raised heel.
Xxx

Hi Ann,

How are things going? I think that you summed up the issue with the flip flops & maybe some of the other shoes that you wear that have a small heel on them. You do get less of a stretch on the achilles if your heel is lifted up a bit. Depending upon how much time you spend in the shoe with the heel this can make going back to something flat, or barefoot, painful because of the stretch of that tendon.

Have you heard anything about your upcoming physiotherapy appointments? :what:

Take care,
Cardie
 
Hi guys, thanks for popping by, it's good to see you all :puppysmooze:

I am back to wearing 'proper shoes' today as it's teeming from the heavens. Cardie, fortunately, it hasn't been any worse today so I'm thinking my tendon has stretched a bit which is brilliant but it's funny as I have noticed when I put my foot flat on the stairs whilst descending I feel a stretch on the front of my ankle where it meets my foot so I am gonna have to work on that one. Eee if it's not one thing it's another, it's not too painful though, just uncomfortable.

Still no word about PT I'm going to give it till monday then ring them. I'm not stressing about it too much because I have had you Bonesmarties helping me with PT suggestions :thankyou: otherwise i would be well fed up by now.

Take care everyone

Ann.x.
 
Cathy, that's interesting what the doc advised about the 'childs pose'....at least I am not actually at risk cos I can't even do it yet.hehe....but I have realised that it's not my hip (well I don't think) that's stopping me doing it but my knee! That is still really tight behind and I think possibly swollen. I still have a go from time to time but when I kneel down on the floor to play with the dogs I can't touch my heels to my bum and it's all to do with my knee. I will keep trying but very gently thanks.x.
 
Sandy, that's great that you have found a really comfy style of shoe, it makes a huge difference doesn't it. Pre op, if I found some shoes that were ideal I would stock up and buy them in every colour as I knew by the next year they wouldn't be making the same type or style

I've had a look and you can buy Ziera shoes online in the UK, they would have been perfect for me when I wore an inside shoe raise, the sandals with the velcro strap but I certainly wouldn't have been buying them in every colour, not at that price.lol. Although at times I was prepared to pay any price when I was desperate.

Again, congrats on getting distinctions big gold star for you missie.xxx
 
Cathy, that's interesting what the doc advised about the 'childs pose'....at least I am not actually at risk cos I can't even do it yet.hehe....but I have realised that it's not my hip (well I don't think) that's stopping me doing it but my knee! That is still really tight behind and I think possibly swollen. I still have a go from time to time but when I kneel down on the floor to play with the dogs I can't touch my heels to my bum and it's all to do with my knee. I will keep trying but very gently thanks.x.

Hi Ann,

I had this same issue for many months after surgery -- my knee was very tight and hindered any move close to a squat or the "child's pose" we've been discussing. This tightness improved very gradually over time and while it was tight I just made sure I was careful in what I was trying to do when it came to moving beyond 90 degrees at the knee. At a year, it was better a few months before this, it is back to normal range of motion.

When I would try the child's pose before my knee would cooperate I just supported myself with my hands on the floor at whatever level I could get to until my heels could touch my bum. It seems like many of us hippies complain/report knee tightness during the months after our surgery, so I guess it's just part of the recovery process. Initially, I had thought it was more to do with the added length that our OSs gave us because of our congenital hip issues.

I saw you mentioning your shoe lifts, I was curious how much you used to correct for prior to your surgery? It seemed like you had gotten a couple inches added at your surgery, right?

Take care,
Cardie
 
Hi Cardie, that's interesting that you too had the knee issue. I did wonder if it had something to do with my CDH or whether they held onto my knee to twist my hip joint out during surgery. Mine is a bit better now but I still have one area on the inside at the back...oh so difficult to explain exactly where, that feels like a tendon pulling when I do certain things. Thanks for the tip about the childs pose. I am still trying to do it.

Yes, I had a two inch LLD pre surgery and I wore a three quarters if an inch tapered heel raise inside my shoes. The biomechanic lady said this was the most I could be raised as this evened out my pelvis perfectly.

Good news about the PT. Finally got to speak to a nurse on tuesday who at first questioned me as to why I thought I needed PT as it is not usually offered to THR patients blah blah blah....I told her the nurse at my check up recommended it and then she looked at my notes and realsed it was actually hers who I had seen!!!!!!!

She said she would contact the PT dept for an urgent appt as I need to be seen before my check up at the end of July. Appt letter came the next day, it's on Tuesday.

Yesterday I realised I can now bend my knee enough and lift my thigh enough to do the exercse bike and now I feel a bit of a fraud as I'm sure the PT is going to ask why I needed an emergency appt as I seem to be okay. Have decided to just brazen it out as I still can't lift my knee up whilst sitting and still have knee and foot problems( my knee deffo turns in and below my knee goes quite a bit outwards when I lift my leg as in the horse walking style) so I shall have these things to discuss with the PT even though they are not massive issues I would still like an opinion on them. It's ridiculous but I am feeling guilty for taking up their time!
 
Ann, don't you dare feel guilty for asking any question or seeking immediate information or appointments...

Remember - they work for you, the patient !

Regarding the manipulation of the knee during surgery, I read many months ago something from Jo indicating that the knee is involved quite a bit.. I can't quite remember whether it was during the dislocation process... My knee was sore and that was the only area where I had a tiny bit of bruising and it pointed inwards for ages.. But slowly seems to be straightening now.. :)
 
I know I'm being a bit of a daft lass feeling guilty about the PT but after managing to do the exercise bike I thought that perhaps I'm not as bad as I thought I was :shrug: still gonna go though and air my issues for the PT's opinions. Best make the most of it and not let them turf me out before I have all the answers.heehee.

So the knee thing is perhaps quite common then? I wonder how many others have had long term after effects of the surgery involving their knee. I'm happy to hear yours is straightening out now...that gives me hope, thankyou.xxx
 
Good for you Annie! Yes, lots of realignment has to happen after a THR.. But you will get there. Try not to focus too much on the 'what if's in the future. I try to take it one day at a time even at this stage of my recovery. There are often days when all the muscles etc feels different to yesterday and I think... What did I do different.. Well my answer is nothing - it is just my body realigning xx
 
Annie, I have problems with my right knee post surgery too....... thought it was just me! I have a 'lump' on the right hand side of it which was not there pre surgery and kneeling on it is very painful..... it also turns in towards the other knee when I am climbing stairs:sad: Was going to mention it to my physio the next time I see here in a few months if it has not resolved itself.
 
Hi ann has your knee not got any better have you seen your gp about it just to get their opinion on it that's what I'm going to do Ann because my pt never even checked mine even last week when the pain was really bad
Just a thought but I hope it starts to get better for you really soon
 
Hi Ann,

All set for physio on Tuesday??? I do hope that you have some decent "trainers" to wear as flip flops will not really work there :heehee: Of course you deserve PT, even if you managed a few turns on the exercise bike -- which is a great milestone, glad that you tried it out before your appointment!!

Your physio person will likely check your range of motion as that will give them a baseline to measure improvement in your flexibility. You'll have the ability to ask all sorts of different questions that you've wondered about your new hip to someone IRL = in real life. You'll be able to ask where certain muscles are located & be shown on your own body vs. always having to look at pictures on the web (illiacus, psoas, gluteous medius, gracillis, piriformis, IT band -- just a few of the parts that we talk about so often as related to the hip & it's function). It's also nice to learn some new stretches and exercises to add to your home routine too.

I hope it goes well!!
Take care,
Cardie
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom