Guest viewing is limited

THR Anniepops THR Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Ann & @Jyoti:

Ok, I hear you on the cane -- it does make you feel a bit like an old person. But let's just stop with that for a moment --- we are recovering from surgery and if you are getting the weird looks from people, just pat at your leg a little bit and say, "I had some surgery..." and carry on with your business.

I don't know if it's true but what if using the cane enables you to work on strengthening some muscles a bit more than using the crutch??? This is something that we have to work on because of our CDH issues and the weakness that comes about in different muscles due to our long history with one leg that is shorter than the other.

I completely understand using the crutch(es) and encourage you to do what feels comfortable mentally and physically, but I also encourage you to experiment some at home. Part of this experimenting includes allowing your brain to adapt to the changes in how everything lines up now because of the added length given at the femur. Another part of the experimenting is allowing muscles to stretch and work differently than when they are fully supported or more limited in the range of motion that is required of them.

That's just my two pence for today, might not be worth anything... :friends:
Take care,
Cardie
 
Hiya Cardie, I can understand where you are coming from about using different muscles when using a stick as opposed to a crutch so I agree it is worth a go. I vaguely remember reading one of Jo's posts where she mentioned a crutch is better to use than a stick, might be wrong but I think that's what she said. Anyway, I will be having a go with the stick to see if it makes a difference just not in a huge public place:biggrin:.....I would be forever doing the 'patting the leg thing' if I used my stick in the shopping centre....I have to make sure I look very presentable when I go there, the amount of stares I get:biggrin:......oh I've just had a thought...maybe it has got nothing to do with the stick but because I am just sooo gorgeous:hysterical:
 
I vaguely remember reading one of Jo's posts where she mentioned a crutch is better to use than a stick, might be wrong but I think that's what she said.

If you are talking about an axillary crutch, which looks something like this:

[Bonesmart.org] Anniepops THR Recovery


I would have to disagree. Using a single axillary crutch for an extended period of time can cause nerve damage, as described here and here.

In my opinion, you want to use the least supportive device that will allow you walk without a limp. This will challenge your muscles and help your body to relearn the proprioceptive skills and balance that you need in order to walk independently. Most of us, even the younger folks, do use a cane/stick at some point in our recovery.

If you are talking about a forearm crutch, which looks like this:

[Bonesmart.org] Anniepops THR Recovery


That would be equivalent to a cane or stick for most people and that may be an option. I'm not sure whether people stare more at forearm crutches or canes. :rolleyespink: I tend to think that most people spend most of their time thinking about themselves and, if they want to stare, that is their problem not mine. Five minutes later, they will be staring at someone or something else and they'll forget that I even exist.
 
Hi Ann

I have just read through your post with great interest... I hope you are soon running around! I had my 2nd revision on my right hip 19 days ago. I have had a left THR since I was 21 it's still in and good (I am 34 now). So that's 4 replacements in total but this time I'm only on toe touch weight bear, have been told to imagine an egg is under my foot and can't crack it.. I noticed you were non weight bear, I have never been non weight bear after a THR did they allow you to partial or fully weight bear after your check up?

regards x
 
Alex, no not the underarm crutch it's the forearm one I am using. Having the elbow bit gives me some comfort an more stability I think.. I'm using no aids now around the house but Hubby keeps reminding me to 'walk properly' he says I am still limping so I'm not sure if I should be using crutch in the house or not. I do know I need to concentrate when walking so I am aware of my movements but it's easy to forget to concentrate all the time.

About the staring, I think for anyone with a physical disability who has had it since birth or for a long time it does have a profound effect on most of us as it makes you very self conscious and I imagine it takes a lot of strength to overcome the uncomfortable feeling of always being looked at. You never know, I might be one of the lucky ones and my gait will be much improved once I have fully recovered:thumb:
 
Hiya Lunes, nice to see you over here.

As you would have read, I was quite confused about the transgression from non weightbearing to partial to full. My check up was 8 weeks post op and as I was told non weightbearing for six weeks, I was unsure as to what to do at six weeks. I spoke to a nurse at the hospital who said I could partial weightbear at six weeks, preferably toe weightbearing but I just put my full foot down gently as it was more comfortable and I needed to stretch my knee. I done about 50% for a week then 75% for a couple of days until it felt comfortable then fully weighbearing. At my checkup at 8 weeks I was told I could fully weightbear from then which I already was but not going crazy and still on two crutches.

You have had a very difficult time of it haven't you...4 replacements. I hope that is your finish for many many years. When is your check up? I have been following your thread and will continue to do so. Good luck and take care.x.

Ann
 
Okay! I thought that was the kind of crutch you meant. In the US, forearm crutches aren't that common, but I have noticed that they are used more in other places.

It sounds like you are doing really well to be getting around with one crutch or without anything at all sometimes. I hope you feel proud of your accomplishments so far.

I know it's hard to concentrate on walking all the time, because you want to think of other things. Maybe just try to remember to notice it once in a while. If you keep doing that, it will work its way into your subconscious mind and you won't have to think about it as hard. That's what dancers do.

Now... I think we need to come up with some snappy comments for those people who stare. Nothing rude, but something to make them think a little. Do you think you would be comfortable answering them back that way?
 
Thanks Alex.x. I think in the UK underarm crutches are only very rarely used nowadays due to the possible damage. I know when I tried one it was very uncomfortable.

I will remember the dancer tip thanks....I will be pretending I am a dancer as I am walking whilst cracking walnuts between my buttocks as recommended by Charlie :th_heehee:...so much to remember and my memories not good at the best of time.
 
Yes... you are a one-woman rendition of the Nutcracker Suite! :th_heehee:
 
Great Post Annie :thumb:
It's surprising how the effect of people staring at you over the years form a young child and even an adult effects you.

Last year I asked on this site about which was best, a cane or crutuch and all the feedback said either would be fine. The crutch is so much easier as it gives greater stability as your forearm and elbow help with the balance also, while the cane is really just your hand.

Does it really make a difference what you use???
 
Hi Ann

My check up is on June 6th. I had the op in Birmingham but live in Spain and flew back the other day, it's great to be home and the sun is shining though I can't really get out! We have high steps to our house.. I find the going up very difficult coming down not so bad..

Yes 4 is more than enough for me, I have had 19 ops on my hips in total so I need a rest!

Take care x
 
Hi Annie,

It took me a long time to transition from walker to cane and at first I didn't feel confident with the cane. But after some time I feel stronger and more confident. I still need it and will be using it for quite some time. I do keep it lifted off the ground longer now as my gait improves. Know what you mean about the staring issue, sometimes it is just plain rude but I just try to think that person has a lot to learn about life...slow but steady wins the race...
 
Now... I think we need to come up with some snappy comments for those people who stare. Nothing rude, but something to make them think a little. Do you think you would be comfortable answering them back that way?

Sometimes just a big smile, eye contact and saying "It's a beautiful day, isn't it," as you stride on by is enough for people to realize you are just a normal girl out doing your thing! If they are too pesky, then just mention that you are cracking walnuts with your buttocks -- and keep right on going... that'll give them something to think about!!!:hysterical:

Have a good weekend,
Cardie
 
l used to tell people that they should take a picture because it would last longer or I would ask if their mothers ever told them that it was rude to stare. I wouldn't recommend that sort of confrontational approach to anyone else. That is what I did though.

One thing that came as a big surprise to me was the hostility I've gotten from some people now that I'm fully recovered and back to my normal life. I guess some people don't do well with change, even if it's someone else's change.
 
Hi Annie

Just a quick 'hello' you send you love and hugs...

I must admit the staring is something that eventually drove me inside for about four years, socially, I just got to the stage where I thought I had to explain or defend myself regarding my disability... but you will get there honey... time and patience babe 
 
12 weeks post op

Well I'm 12 weeks today and feeling pretty okay. Got the people coming tomorrow to collect my ' keeping to restrictions equipment' I will be happy to see the back of that lot!

I can now:

Descend stairs in a normal fashion
Ascend stairs normal way but in my own fashion......yanking myself up by the banister, but not always able to do it.
Lie on both sides and tummy
Walk around the house with no aids
Use normal toilet......get up and down okay but uncomfortable still whilst sitting.
Do lying abductors and lift operated leg onto bed without help. Just discovered this today and was very surprised I just done it straight away when I tried.
Bend down normally and pick up my 9kilo pooch off the floor for a cuddle....lovely
Climb onto the bed to get stuff off top of wardrobe.
Kneel for a short period.

I cannot yet:

Whilst sitting bring my operated leg knee up to my chest. It will not move at all. I haven't been able to do thIs for quite a few years anyway but would love to acheive it now...anyone any ideas for exercises please?

Therefore I cannot put trousers or underwear on without using grabber or tie laces.

I am quite happy with my lot:thumb:
 
I have a little issue today. Last night for the first time I went back over to my own side of the bed. Hubby and me swopped post op due to method of getting onto the bed.

Woke up this morning with a lot of pain in incision site and throughout the day whilst sitting. I haven't felt pain there since about eleven weeks ago so this came as a surprise. I have concluded I must be sleeping differently on the other side of the bed so back over I go for now.
 
Wow, sounds like you are doing great. Goodbye to those restriction aids for sure :). It certainly is good to take stock of what you CAN do. Seems like it is so easy to focus on what we cannot yet do (myself included).

Happy for you, hope the progress continues. Cathy
 
I cannot yet: Whilst sitting bring my operated leg knee up to my chest. It will not move at all. I haven't been able to do thIs for quite a few years anyway but would love to acheive it now...anyone any ideas for exercises please?

I had a problem with this as well. Try this - while sitting on a hard chair draw your knee toward your chest as far as it will go. Don't worry if at first you can go very far. You need to build the muscle strength to do this lift. Keep trying this. I think you will find everyday brings that knee higher.

Regarding the aches and pains you felt after sleeping on your side - very normal. You may feel this way for awhile. Go back to sleeping on your back for a bit if things need to settle.

You are doing great!
 
Thanks Jaycey, I have tried this but it will not budge. The only way I can get it to lift a little bit is if I lean back on the bed then I can yank it up quickly a little but I know this is not the way to go about it

The other problem I have discovered this morning is when I am going up the stairs normally. My leg from the knee down is not straight at all it is at an angle and I cannot do anything to keep it straight. I'm thinking the hip joint is inverted slightly or it coud just be a poor ROM. Frustrating but I will keep working at it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom