Guest viewing is limited

THR Anniepops THR Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ooo you are a card Charlie. Your wife must be a saint :biggrin:

I read on your thread no more Debbie.......I bet you will miss her and her tough sessions...seems she was a great PT.

Been doing some walking today seeing as we were lucky enough to have a day without a torrential downpour. It was great to get out and chat to people but the amount of times I have heard..'Eeeee what have you done". Lol.
 
Good luck with chasing that physio, Ann. What a pity Charlie can't hand over dangerous Debbie to you now that he's finished with her.

Lucky you that you were able to get out walking without getting wet. It hasn't stopped here all day. Got my new pedometer in the post but have only managed 3589 steps so far (2.4km) which is pretty pathetic*. I blame the rain!

(*PS forgot to say that the postman was late, so I'd already been out for my 10 mile run before he arrived with the pedometer...)
 
Nooooo jane they can keep delightful Debbie down South. She cracks the whip a bit too hard for my liking.lol

Oh what a crying shame you had already done your run before you got your pedometer. I know, just sit shaking it for a while so you can get it to the correct amount :wink1:

I'm pleased you mentioned the pedometer as I have been meaning to hunt out one if the many we have lying around the house....they are so small and easily lost arn't they. Gonna do that today and stick it on.

Hope you manage to get out and about with Susie today, not raining here yet but I'm sure it will!!!!!!!!
 
Hi Ann, just popping in to catch up with folks. After a hectic few days at work mostly computer based my poor eyes rebelled when I I thought a little wander on BS was in order so I haven't been keeping up with what's been happening. Delighted to hear how well you're doing and just use those crutches or sticks as long as is necessary. There are no prizes awarded for rushing things!
In reply to your question yes pumpkins do grow well here and are so easy. The trick is to make sure you pick them before Halloween or the local morons pinch them and smash them for fun. We've had so much rain recently that we haven't managed to get anything done planting wise. Dry today so picked a load of rhubarb but the soil is too claggy to work on. I see it's to pour again tomorrow too, how super!
Jane, I'm surprised you had to chase Gobowen for your follow up appt. mine came through for the 8 week point and it was with my OS. Strange how things differ even in the same hospital!

Take care Ann and keep up your great progress

Xxx
 
Dry today so picked a load of rhubarb but the soil is too claggy to work on.

Rhubarb, YUMMMM!! @beesquare:

I began eating a dish of rhubarb sauce every evening shortly after my surgery (it's made from frozen-in-the-bag pieces, with some sugar added, steamed down into a sauce consistency). I couldn't figure out why I needed it until I realized that it had a great amount of calcium -- to help make my bone grow into my implant....

@welshjane: I could use a healthier way of cutting the tartness of the rhubarb without the sugar, what would you suggest? :what:

Have a nice weekend all,
Cardie
 
Hi Cardie, xylitol is the answer -a truly natural sweetener. But rhubarb a good source of calcium? I don't think so. It contains oxalates which block the availability of calcium, so even if there is Ca in rhubarb, your body can't absorb it. Sorry for the bad news!
 
Hiya Anne, it's lovely to hear from you, thankyou for poppng in.x.

I was thinking of your allotment what with all this rain I was thinking if your hubby hadn't managed to get the weeding done they would look like triffids by now. Hope he did. I am very impressed that you grow pumpkins but how annoying about the local louts destroying them it's unfathomable as to what pleasure they get from doing that. I really hope this weather picks up soon so you can get cracking.

My Dads rhubarb patch died last year cos he firgot to water it bless him but he has grown forced Rhubarb this year and it was really nice, much redder than the other stuff. I love stewed rhubard sarnies, which everyone thinks is weird but I love it.

Cardie, sorry to hear from Jane that you are not getting your calcium from the rhubarb. I prefer proper sugar to sweetner as I use quite a bit and I can tell the difference so I just think sod it ( excuse the french:snork:) just whack in the sugar:biggrin:
 
Well seeing as we actually had a dry day yesterday we decided to take the dogs to the coast. Walked for about 45 mins then sat in the car eating fish and chips out of the paper whilst watching the little boats in the sea. Heavenly.

Came home and went for a nap. Got woke up 3 and a half hours later by hubby to go and visit me Mam where I yawned the whole way through the visit. Home and off to bed at 8.30 until 8am this morning. I couldn't believe it how much I had slept. That sea air well and truly knocked me out.

I can now walk round the bathroom,bedroom and kitchen with no crutch at all which is fab. Still two crutches outside and one mostly in the house but it's good to know I'm getting stronger.
 
STEWED RHUBARB SARNIES?? Must be a Northern thing! Now Stewed Rhubard and Custard .. now you're talkin':dancy: mmmmm
Where abouts is your sea it sounds idyllic ....watching the little boats in the sea I'd deffo swap that for HK!
Great to hear you're sleeping for England I could do with some of that ... we were woken by a power cut at 3am ... our 14 year old son isn't good at total silent darkness and went into panic mode demanding his mummy! We all got back to sleep after an hour or so and I was well away when my phone went at 6.45 am, it was my neighbour wanting to know whether we had a power cut as well:hissyfit: YES BUT IT'S QUARTER TO SEVEN ON A SUNDAY MORNING AND I DON'T CARE!!! but thanks for letting me know!

Ho hum ain't life grand.

Charlie
 
Yipeeee I done it. Had to download loads of apps before I got it right.
 
Good Evening Charlie.

Nope, the sarnies arn't a Northern thing, just an Ann thing! Just like jam really.

I was at South Shields beach. They have a boating club and as we were sitting all the little sailing boats came trooping out.

Fancy your neighbour waking you at that unearthly hour on a Sunday morning. He must know you are a very helpful patient person.:biggrin:

You can get an Ipad now you know photo editing is possible .

Ann.x.
 
Hi Ann,

What beautiful puppies! What are their names? You could add this photo to your profile, I think if you add as an avatar it will show up every time when you post.

Charlie...help? please :)

Ohhhhh Rhubarb and Custard sounds heavenly I have not had that in YEARS! My mum would make that all the time.

Night Night!

xxooxx
 
Anniepops, I love your doggies! I'm not a small dog person at all (sorry, Sarah, Miles is the exception of course) but they are just lovely. I want to hug them both. Yes, why not put them up as your avatar picture?

Yes, forced rhubarb is so much better than outdoor rhubarb. I believe that in the Wakefield triangle in Yorkshire they grow it in the dark and harvest it by candlelight. Your dad doesn't do it like that does he? Costs a fortune but I always buy some in early spring as hubby is a great rhubarb fan. I cook it very gently in a very low oven with a bit of xylitol and some orange juice/grated rind. You can use xylitol in baking just like sugar and it doesn't have an aftertaste - try it. I am really, really against most artificial sweeteners, but this is an exception. Only problem is that it's toxic to dogs - Susie could tell you all about this, but that's another story.

But rhubarb sarnies? now that is seriously weird!
 
Sarah and Jane, thanks, they are a pair of cuties arn't they.

Sarah, they are called Millie an Mo. i had to have girl dogs as I am in a house full of males.lol.

I'm hoping to using the pic as my Avatar, just need to shrink it a bit more. My Dad didn't grow the rhubarb that fancy way. He's 85 and so of the era of 'make do and mend' therefore he is very good with his hands. He grew it in some contraption in his garden and it worked very well.
 
Hi Ann, just catching up on your post. Good for you walking sometimes in the house without assistance. The body is an amazing thing isn't it? One minute we are having surgery and in a relatively short time it is up and going again trying it's best to do what we want it do. Maybe not as fast as we like sometimes but since it is doing such an amazing job i guess we need to let it go at its own pace :) A walk on the coast, fish and chips, that DOES sound heavenly. Actually now that I am getting out and about more, I am experiencing more periods of being pooped out. It makes sense, but it still surprises me when it happens. Have a great day, and oh yes, those dogs are sure cuties. -cathy
 
Hi Ann,

Cute girls, your schnauzers!! You went to the sea for some fish & chips... were you thinking of having some time, rowing, in one of the boats toooo???? :snork:

Ok, on this rhubarb topic -- I'm going to need to know what a sarnie is, exactly... and I'm thinking that Rhubarb and custard does sound yummy! What might the recipe be for that combination. Well, that is bad news about the calcium content of rhubarb -- my bag says 25% of daily requirement for a serving size of 1 cup and that was more than a (thin) slice of cheese lists on it's label. I still love it!! I'll give the xylitol a try @welshjane: too.

Take care,
Cardie
 
There you go Ann everybody's into Rhubarb and Custard (not many takers for the sarnie option!) for a moment I scanned the thread and thought your two little beauties were called "Rhubarb and Custard " !!!! :th_heehee: Actually not a bad idea!
Get out there and look for that Hula Hoop have you thought about Ebay? I know they do a version that takes to bits .... don't ask me how!!

C x
 
Cathy, I'm gonna pop over to your thread to see how you're doing.

Cardie, now brace yourself for what may be an 'Ewwww moment' as Charlie and Jane think this is a complete No No.lol. A sarnie is UK slang for the humble sandwich. A slice of square flat white bread spread with butter then stewed rhubarb on one side. Fold watch the rhubard squelch out of the sides and enjoy. A taste sensation.

Rhubarb and custard is simply that. Stewed rhubarb eaten with either hot or cold rhubarb. Yummy. When we were kids we were happy with a stick of rhubarb dipped in sugar. Now that was a treat.
 
No comment on the rhubarb sarnie, Ann, but the same ingredients would make a delish rhubarb charlotte, when you think about it.

Cardie, xylitol is also marketed as zylosweet or xylosweet. It's made from birch bark. Eating too much of it has a laxative effect, so take care! My advice to people is usually to try and wean themselves off the sweet craving rather than using sugar substitutes, but some foods such as rhubarb are simply unpalatable without sweetening, so I think xylitol is the best option.
 
I have a really bad back today due to my experimenting with sleeping positions, my hip is a little bit iffy too so back to sleeping on my back with the wedge,heck, I hope this isn't the way it's gonna have to be forever. I miss snuggling up properly in bed. So no walking around the house with no crutch today and back on the painkillers for now. I am happy to report though the sun is shining it's nice to see it!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom