THR Anniepops THR Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, when are we going to get a video of you hula hooping? :egypdance:

Alex alexthecat; I'm actually LOLing at the thought of you lot watching me hula hooping. Gawd only knows what I must look like. Hubby even has a chortle when he watches me doing it so the answer to that is a big fat no :loll:
 
Cardie no I'm still doing the roller but you're right, getting right in that groin area is rather difficult but I am keeping at it :thumb:

I'm also doing the Alex stretch and can really feel the tightness when I do that plus when I do the horse walk knee slapping thing. With that one I can really feel it in the groin. Just doesn't seem to be improving but if you are still having to work at it then I guess I am gonna have to expect be in it for the long haul too :)
 
Annie, I'm laughing at the hula hoop discussion. After being a childhood pro at it, you'd think it would be like riding a bike...just pick it up and go. I tried one at a local fitness center about 7 years ago. That was an exercise in frustration!! Darn thing just wobbled right down to the floor. Then about 3 years ago, I took a one-hour class from a delightful and knowledgeable woman. Glory be....once I got the right size and weight hoop, I could actually do it again. Turn on the right music, and it is a lot of fun to do, but I haven't tried it since my THRs. I can see that I need to get it out and get going again. Any recommendation about how long after the THR to try it? I'm at 11 weeks, and still just a smidgen tender in the incision area.

And thank you. I just saw your comment about my post on Billy's thread. :)

Sharon
 
Hey Sharon sharonslp: how exiting that you were a childhood hula hoop pro, that must have been lots of fun but I imagine lots of hard work too. Could you do the walking stuff and twirling the hoop around the arms stuff too? I'm sure you will still have those moves going on if you tried again once you are fully recovered. I would imagine it is like riding a bike....you never forget or can you just lose that hip swivveling ability.lol. I think the weight of the hoop definitely helps.

As far as when you can try again I have no idea sorry. All I can tell you is I first tried with the weighted one at about five and a half months and felt fine. Perhaps Alex can help you on this one alexthecat:
 
I really couldn't say, Ann. Certainly by 12 weeks, it should be fine, I would think.

I have a chronically painful bone graft donor site at the top of my pelvis. I don't think it would be pleased to have a hula hoop banging against it, so that's not something I'm going to try. I'm having fun hooping vicariously through you though! :egypdance: (I'm declaring this guy to be the hula hooping smilie, BTW.)
 
I can picture you hula hooping away! I am quite amazed by anyone who can do that--I've tried it a few times and it just falls to the ground. And, it's not like I don't have sizable hips for it to hula on, lol.

I wasn't sure exactly what area of pain/tenderness you were having problems with, but the area over my incision is still tender to pressure. I can sleep on my side without any problems, but something directly popping on it wouldn't go over very well. I remember in PT, the PT assistant put an electrode pad for the IF machine to close to the incision and I couldn't tolerate it when they turned the machine on.

Dorothy
 
Thanks Alex, I'll just call on sharonslp: so she can see that. Sorry to hear you can't hula due to your painful spot, you're right, best not even try. I will do a few extra swivels just for you :egypdance: xxx

My incision area is still tender to pressure too Dorothy, I can imagine it takes some time for that to abate. It's great that it's not stopping you sleeping on your side though :thumb: makes me wince thinking of the pain when the IF pad gets too close to your incision site....ouch.x.
 
Ann, I wasn't a childhood pro in the literal sense! I meant that when we kids got together with our hoops and had contests to see who could hoop the longest, I had a fair share of wins. I could move the hoop all around....from my torso to my neck, back and forth on my arms. But not like the acrobatics being done today!!!!

The tender spots are a concern, but I'll give it a try as soon as I'm over this cough. Right now, the exertion would only result in a coughing fit. The point is though, that it's NOT like riding a bike. That perfect balance of motion and speed doesn't just come back without practice. When I think back to how completely easy it was as a kid, right from the beginning, I have to wonder where that ability went. But my one hour class showed me I could get it back, if I wanted to.

I only sort of want to. :) I'd still rather read a book or knit. Other than walking or dancing, it takes a lot to get me moving.

Sharon
 
Tee hee Sharon, I did take you literally, thought you were a real superstar...what a laugh :loll: Although by all accounts you must have been really great at it as a child what with all that moving it up and down your body.

Hope that cough clears up soon.xxx
 
Love the idea of the hula hoop... But am so uncoordinated now.. Amazing though I don't have a problem with the NW..

sharonslp... hope that cough is clearing up?
 
I have been fun reading the hula hoop thread haha. After trying to do some hip swivels on the big exercise ball and wondering if that is what is killing my back, I think I will pass on the hula hoop but love that we now have an official hoola hoop smilie thanks to Alex :egypdance:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Anniepops THR Recovery
Anniepops; is this you???
 
Sandy and Alex....I am LOVING that hula hooping dude :egypdance: Thankyou.x.

Cathy VThereandnow: I don't know what you mean by swivelling on the exercise ball, could you elaborate please.....I'm just being nosey and would perhaps give it a whirl if it's a good one. Sorry to hear your back is acting up after it though.....hope it is better now.x

Sharon, pleased to hear that nasty cough is nearly gone.. Hopefully you are back to 100% now.x.
 
I just had a huge realisation......I can actually tie my shoe laces whilst sitting. Well, I actually reached down to untie them automatically without thinking and I just went and actually flippin done it. I am so amazed and thrilled. I have to keep bending down and doing it to make sure it really is happening.lol.I can't even remember the last time I was able to do that, must be donkeys years. It just goes to show we can all continue to improve for many months post op, for some of us it takes a bit longer to overcome these hurdles but most of us get there or very near 'there' in the end. I'm a happy bunny tonight, it makes all those hours of exercising very worthwhile. :happydance:
 
Jee wizz don't want to sound like an old phudy duddy but when was the last time you saw any child hula hooping out in the street maybe thats why all the children from our era were mostly slim and fit that and playing peavers/hop scotch.
I know I spent most of my free time runining about playing football outside the Hibs ground :umm:pity I didn't get the chance to play inside it.

Billy
 
Well done Annie

Jealous as I can't tie or untie my laces yet but time for you to celebrate :martini:

Billy
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom