THR Anniepops THR Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Annie,
This is what my Feldenkrais practitioner has been saying to me. It seems as if we don't know how to move the pelvis as we have not been able to. I use my back as it has had to compensate for the lack of movement in my pelvis hence getting back aches etc. The exercises I do are very simple but extremely hard, if you know what I mean. The concept is easy but for us as we have difficulty in moving the pelvis naturally. Also, how to stop other parts of our body, ie back for me to stop doing the movement that the pelvis should be doing.

He's actually got me now massaging my pubis bone and keeps telling me to always think of my pubis and when I move my pelvis be very aware in basically tilting the pelvis, rather then rounding my back etc.

I know I'm terrible at descriptions but will try and figure a way in explaining it better. As it's late should go to bed.
Will talk soon
Jyoti:)
 
Ooow, I like Alex's suggestion Ann, keen to hear how that went ?
 
Hi Ann,

I don't know if this pertains to your situation, but am guessing that since you are a CDH gal it may.

Some of the back issues that I experience that have a direct impact on my pelvis are related to the way that my spine both twists a bit and has lateral rotation (like an S from side to side). This directly impacts the muscle tension of my back muscles, one of which is the quadratus lumborum. This spinal twist and muscle tension is related to the many years of LLD and even with our newly lengthened femurs w/ our hardware, it takes a while for the rest of the body to adjust. These back muscles can pull at your pelvis and create on-going tilt -- side to side tilt, front to back tilt (the sway back posture that Jyoti refers to).

I don't really have any answers as to how to remedy this pelvis issue, it's still one that I deal with. I've seen a chiropractor who did massage and adjusting of the QL muscles and tight muscles on the THR side of my back. I'm sure the illiospoas muscle also plays in to pelvic tilt -- it's in the front of the body and also connects that back thru pelvis to upper leg.

I can also relate to what you described a few posts back about trying to do movements with your pelvis and not really knowing what you were doing or where your body was in space. I have a particular Feldenkrais movement that I learned a few months back and sometimes it works great -- I know what my body is doing, other times I know I am moving but am feeling uncoordinated about it...

Lying on your back. Knees bent and feet are flat on the ground -- like this only hands at your sides:


With your THR side you do a very tiny, slight movement of pressing down with your buttocks and acting as if you are going to lift your leg/foot -- only you do not lift anything. Then you do the opposite. A tiny, slight movement of lifting your buttocks and pressing your foot down as if you are lifting your bottom -- only you are not lifting anything. It's really just a tiny movement done very slowly for a few times. It's not an exercise it's just connecting the movement of those parts, and yes sometimes it will work really easy and you'll feel like you are "walking" other times you will feel like you are moving parts but not really in the right sequence at the right time -- that's ok, my gal tells me.

Love Alex's hulu suggestion. For a long time I used to actually try to do the hulu hoop in my kitchen at home...

You are doing great and you are only 6 months out -- it does take a while for us! I'm glad you have a supportive and helpful PT person.

Take care,
Cardie :flwrysmile:
 
Alex and Cardie, I agree, I am very lucky that I have had excellent PT's throughout this. It also has been invaluable having you guys on BS to give me info and suggestions as this has helped me understand the body mechanics and therefore understand the process behind all the exercises and to be in a position to ask all the necessary questions to the PT's :) which makes a huge difference.

Alex, I tried the hula hoop thing. I managed quite well although it wasn't as fluid as perhaps it could be. I actually tried hula hooping whilst at my Sisters a few weeks ago. She has both a light plastic one and also one of those weighted ones.....they come in pieces and you click them together. I was useless at the light one as I always have been but actually done great with the weighted one. Cardie, perhaps you could gve one of these a go, I have decided to get one as I think it will be a great exercise to do.

Cardie, thankyou for that little exercise. I have incorperated it into my routine. The funny thing is I found it easier to do on my operated side than my good side. I was more aware of the movement operated side. This made me realise that I am concentrating a bit too much n my bad side and need to exercise both sides equally so thanks Cardie.

Jyoti, looks like all us CDH girls have the same problem with our pelvis, looking forward to you posting again with more info about awareness of our pelvis movements. :)

And last but not least.....Yoohoo Sandy :)
 
Hi Ann,

YES!!! Definitely, exercise both sides. I was about the same point you are at in recovery when I decided that I really needed to be working both sides of my body because I was seeing a lag between them and it was not improving. This is also where swimming and walking can come in handy since they are whole body movements/exercises.

I'll have to look for my hula hoop, I think it's in the garage after I threw it in there out of frustration...
Take care,
Cardie
 
Hey Cardie C Mac; got my weighted hula hoop today and I love it :happydance: Managed to do 100 reps no bother. Had a little ache in operated sides' buttock so maybe overdone it the first time but I was showing off to my son :giggle: Can't believe I can actually do it now. Still can't manage with a light one but that's okay. :)

Catch ya later.
 
Hi Ann,

I was just going over your last dozen posts and am so glad that you are in good focus on your recovery, as well as have what sounds like a good PT p;erson. I love the Feldenkrais exercises suggested by Cardie C Mac; and the hoola suggested by Alex alexthecat; I find those more subtle ones really nudge the body into remembering how it should be aligned, which I feel sometimes got us in this mess to start with!

My goodness...congradulations on the 100 reps! YAY! (The little pain to show off to your son was probably worth it!)

Warm regards,
Elle

 
Awesome news on the hula hoop & the showing off :heehee: I have not seen/tried a weighted one before. We had been chatting about hula hooping in charlie cyborg's: thread a long time ago, I wonder what happened to him???

Did I see you mention doing this new stretch? Only maybe it is while lying down, do you like it?
[Bonesmart.org] Anniepops THR Recovery

It sounds like you are doing well and keeping up with PT and your exercises. How's it going with your cane?
Take care,
Cardie
 
I just came by to say HI. I see you are doing good. Do take care. Love Tashia
 
C Mac; That's a good stretch. An important point with that one is to keep the lumbar spine neutral. A lot of people have an impulse to try to do that by pulling the shoulders back and forcing the chest forward. That actually creates more back strain. It's better to think about pelvic tilt instead. If the ROM just isn't there yet, sit on something. A yoga block, a firm cushion, a phone book, etc.
 
Last time I has able to grasp BOTH ankles like that, I had a gym slip on!
Come to think of it, I've NEVER been able to even sit on the floor like that.

:whistle:
 
Alex alexthecat; & Jo Josephine;

I think she may be doing that stretch while lying down -- like on the bed. That's how I started out with it in my phase 2 exercises. When you do it lying down it's much easier to keep your back/lumbar region more neutral (less of an arch to your back) -- especially on the bed :heehee: right?

Take care,
Cardie
 
7 MONTHS POST OP.

Me neither Jo but it is something to aspire to eh :umm:

Yes Cardie I can do that stretch lying down but not only if my back is flat on the floor. Still got a problem sitting on floor with back straight and legs bent, it's just not happening for me despite the many daily exercises!

Spoke to PT today as my knee situation hasn't improved at all. She said it is because of my poor ROM. I am using my ankle to kind of operate my leg from the knee down instead of using my hip/bottom muscles possible due to habit,doing this all my life. It's frustrating as I don't know if my lower leg was kookie pre op.....I didn't even notice if it was, probs cos all of my concentration was on my knackered hip.

So I have to do more exercises, lifting lower leg standing and bringing knee up to chest lying and really concentrate on keeping my knee in line with my foot.....very very difficult for me. I am still very tight just below the groin area on my inner thigh so hoping if I can loosen that up a bit it might help. At the end of the day if this is all I have to put up with then se la vie.....it's still a heck of a lot better than what was :) but I am going to keep going to that gym as long as they will have me. They will probably kick me out eventually cos I can't help singing along to the radio whilst exercising and believe me, my singing leaves a lot to be desired.lol.

Cardie C Mac: no cane or crutch now, they have been chucked into the loft. I haven't needed it for some weeks now. I'm having frequent walks with the pooches for about an hour and a half each time. No pain in operated leg, sometimes pain in unoperated leg....typical eh!....I have a slight LLD and limp and do feel myself limping a bit more at the end of the walk but then I will remember to concentrate on my walking and usually manage to correct it well.

Still having horrible foot and ankle pain when first walking after sitting, lying down but that comes with the territory of changing the way you walk after 47 years so that's okay :)

So, all in all the hip is blooming fantastic, don't even know it's not what God gave me, just need to work on the knee isuue now.

I am very very happy I had this done, no regrets in the slightest, just wish, like many others I had it done sooner but that is by the by.

Thankyou for popping by everyone. I appreciate it.xxx

Toodle pip for now

Ann.x.
 
Wow, have not caught up in a while. Sounds like you are doing pretty darn good. Thanks for the 7 month update. Glad for you about the cane, ack! I wish I could totally let go of it on my walks, just can't seem to get past 1/2 mile before weakness, then limp sets in, oh well.

I have never been able to do the light hula hoop but you are the 2nd person I know who is doing the weighted one. I might have to find one and try it. Even before surgery I did not have much hip action, so maybe it could help. 100? You go girl.

Did you read Sharon's description of her walk on foresbys page? If not, it is so worth a read for the laugh. Hope things keep moving in the right direction for you. Little by little we are all moving forward. Cathy
 
Hiya Cathy, good to see ya. I think you are doing just great, half a mile is no mean feat ya know. You are on the right track and know where you're heading and that's all that matters :) Don't forget how brill you are when you get on that bike too....that's something I would struggle with. These darn hips of ours just like to tease us, letting some of us do one thing good and others another but frustratingly not letting us all do the same.lol.

Yes I did read Sharons post in Billys thread, very true and a funny read. She's a insightful one Sharon is :)

Have a go of the hula hoop if you can. As I have said, it is surprisingly easy compared with the lightweight ones. I have been looking onlne for exercises to do with it and my next aim is to walk all sexilly as I hula............erm don't think I am going to achieve that in a hurry. :rotfl:
 
So, when are we going to get a video of you hula hooping? :egypdance:
 
I am still very tight just below the groin area on my inner thigh so hoping if I can loosen that up a bit it might help.

Hi Ann,
You haven't given up that foam roller yet have you??? On your page 15 of this thread I posted you a little picture of a lady rolling on it for her inner thigh/groin/adductor muscles. I have a lot of tightness and sometimes soreness in that area as well and I think it has to do with the lengthening we got with our new appliance & different alignment as well. There was another stretch that alexthecat; shared that is standing -- like a side lunge, here's an image:

[Bonesmart.org] Anniepops THR Recovery

I find that I have to shift my pelvis around some in order to get the stretch in the right part of my groin on the THR side.

That is awesome news that you are off the cane -- was there cake & celebration!?!? Even greater news on the long walks with the dogs, you are really coming along. I hope that the knee and ankle will improve and adjust over time and give you fewer problems. It does take a while and you are only 7 months along, keep working it!!

We'll be waiting on that hula hoop video :)
Take care,
Cardie
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom