Guest viewing is limited

THR Anniepops THR Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
hipgirl; I think you should start a thread of your own...you could just copy and paste this post...so you can get responses from lots of people, and in particular Josephine. Your situation doesn't sound good, and it is important to figure out why you are still having such a rough time. Annniepops can certainly give you feedback based on her own experiences, but each of us is different, and it sounds like you need some sound advice at this point.

Start your own thread, and I'll tag Jo to make sure she sees it.

Sharon
 
hipgirl; I think you should start a thread of your own...you could just copy and paste this post...so you can get responses from lots of people, and in particular Josephine. Your situation doesn't sound good, and it is important to figure out why you are still having such a rough time. Annniepops can certainly give you feedback based on her own experiences, but each of us is different, and it sounds like you need some sound advice at this point.

Start your own thread, and I'll tag Jo to make sure she sees it.

Sharon
Thank you Sharon, I do have a thread on here somewhere, and from what I understand you must go off that one and I have no clue how to find it....fairly new here
 
Hi Ann, just popped by to see how you are going?
 
Hi Ann,

Glad to know that you and the foam roller have bonded and that you are learning all sorts of new stretches that it can be helpful with!! Yes, the groin one is a bit of a gymnastics feat to get situated properly, but it is fantastic for sore/tight adductor muscles.

On the clams shells, I used to do those on the bed for a while too, and you are right it's a bit to squishy on the mattress to make it work out real well. Eventually, I started doing them on the floor on a yoga mat -- or two if you need more padding. I also found it tremendously helpful to put my hand on my upper buttocks/lower back area so that I could feel which muscle was actually moving and being utilized during that exercise. Once you "find" your gluteus medius you will be more mindful about it during other types of exercises and activities.

Thanks for coming back to share your mojo -- it helps rally us too!! :flwrysmile:
Take care and enjoy the last of the holidays before the kids go back -- just dropped my son off at University yesterday...
Cardie
 
Here's a picture of the stretch for the adductor on the foam roller:

[Bonesmart.org] Anniepops THR Recovery


Just gentle rocking from side to side as that roller presses into your groin crease stretching those muscles and tendons.

This really is for someone that is months out from surgery and has no particular hip precautions. While it is normal to have tension and soreness on the tendons as they insert into your groin area initially after surgery, there are phase I exercises that your OS can recommend for adapting to that change -- don't do the roller in the first few months without explicit permission from your OS.

Just remembering that there are lots of newbies that read about our post surgical stories,
Cardie
 
Janet(hipgirl) I have replied to you n your own thread :)
 
Well Poppet, you know how many if us say about the overdoing it thing.....well I was feeling a bit left out not being in that gang :doh: so yesterday in the absence if any available males in the house silly me decided to mow the lawn...HUGE mistake?

I went to bed feeling a bit achy in the back area and didn't sleep much at all due to a painful lower back. This morning I could hardly move an inch, couldn't stand, couldn't sit at all so lay on the couch for an hour or so icing and dozing. It did help a lot along with pain relief but I have learnt my lesson. Thing is it didn't hurt one bit when I was doing it so I thought I was okay!!!!. No more mowing until next Summer for moi :)

Hi Cardie, good to hear from you, how are you doing? Is it your sons' first year at Uni, how was he going off? My two oldest boys have finished their first year at Uni, can't wait until they start back again in September and give me some peace.lol. They are still at home though as their Uni's are local so they get to come home every night which is lovely.

I'm not sure if doing the exercises on the floor are contributing to my recent back problems also as it started when I began doing them on the floor although I do use a mat. I'm gonna ask my PT about it tomorrow.

Thanks for the clamshell tip, I need to remember to do that :) Also the roller pic, I struggle to get into that position perhaps because my roller is not as long as the one in the picture. I am kinda half sittin when doing my upper inner leg area.You're right about not trying it early in recovery, good to point that out :thumb:

Take care

Ann
 
Hi Ann, I too am guilty of overdoing it.. Like pulling a hamstring, trying to walk down a non moving escalator and then sleeping the whole night on my THR..

Definitely no more mowing lawns until next summer honey :)
 
Hi Ann,

I, too, have big dreams of mowing the lawn myself (again) as well. While your hip is still a baby (meaning, newly installed), I do applaud you for that tremendous effort and it's a good sign that it didn't hurt while you were working away --- but give yourself another season before venturing into that chore!!! I have done tiny patches of our yard this year and there are some bigger patches that really need mowing right now.... but I am exercising extreme restraint for a little longer! I dream of being a few more years out from this whole ordeal and mowing & sweating and not having any awareness of my fake hip....

This is my son's first year away at University (only about 2 hours away). He did local college for the past 2 or 3 years, some of it was his high school work. I was chauffeur during those years. Classes start today, so hopefully all will go well!! Good luck to your boys as well and do enjoy them while they are still home at the end of the day -- in spite of the fact that they probably eat everything that isn't nailed down....:heehee:

Take care,
Cardie
 
Haha Cardie, you're right about them eating anything and everything, teenage boys cost a fortune to feed don't they. I bet your shopping bill goes down a lot now that he is at Uni. I do hope he enjoys it, it's a huge step moving away from home but I do think it is great for them especially boys. Mine continue to get waited on hand and foot although they have become a lot more handy aroundthe house since my operation as they had to help out when their Dad was at work all hours so that's a good thing.

Sandy, escalators are very difficult things to manage when they are not moving, those stairs are a lot higher than normal stairs so I am not surprised you can feel the effect of walking down them. Hope you a resting as much as possible and those muscles ease up very soon.

I had another great visit to the PT today. I have to say as much as the aftercare after leaving hospital was rubbish the PT's have certainly made up for it, they are fandabiedosie

Seen yet another PT today as both my previous have left. It is great to have so many different PT's imput so I don't mind one jot. This lady was brill, she explained that the reason my knee is out of kilter is due to the lengthening and tightened muscles etc due to the massive stretching they have undergone she said my calf is extremely tight and although some people say muscles cannot be stretched beyond a certain point others say they can so we will just have to give it our best shot and see if there is any more stretch left in mine.

I got some more exercises to try and improve my ROM , inward rotation is pretty rubbish. I have to work on getting my bad foot onto my good knee. I can manage to cross it over to my ankleand no further because of the poor ROM, we are aiming for an extra centimetre higher for now.

She gave me exercises to concentrate on my left hip doing the work rather than my right and my back, these take quite a bit of concentration,something I have to work on.lol. Another is doing the horse trot thingy but slapping the rising legs knee when you lift it, strangely enough, this slapping business seems to be more effective that just lifting it. Anything that I learn that I can feel an effect from I really like to do. Also doing squats but doing it against the wall using the exercise ball, this makes it much easier than doing it just atanding and takes the pressure off your back somewhat.

So another great PTing. Starting Monday I am in the Gym twice a week for an hour under the watchful eye of another PT. She is going to write a detailed list of all my exercises and this seems to be for an indefinite period. I told her I want to do anything possible which will get me to the best place I can be post op. luckily for me I have the support to hopefully acheive this. I am very grateful for that.
 
Hey Annie,
My PT is such a stickler for form and not "cheating" she has me doing the clamshells with my back against the couch and they are so much harder doing them that way. The strait leg raises are the other one that is basic, yet really important. I hear you on the excercises being tedious. Sometimes I can be consistent and other times ugh! Forget about it. Like Cardie says though sometimes you take breaks and come back to things and there is progress. I figure as long as we are doing something, walking, biking, whatever, we are strengthening things.

I have not been on the site too much lately but am doing a little catch up today. Maybey it will spur me on to more clamshells too :heehee:

Really glad things are moving along. It would be one thing if it were just the hip, but as you also said, there are so many things affected in this healing. Hip pain is pretty much non existent now, it is the other body parts that need to catch up, well and the hip strengthening. Hope things continue smoothly, and thanks for the great update, cathy
 
Thanks for the reminder to use the ball for squats, I totally forgot about doing that and one more thing, hooray for you being at the gym, you go girl :yes:
 
Hi Anne

I love the idea of doing squats against the wall using a ball... Mmmmm! Might try that. Thank you.

Sending happy smiles your way :)
 
Helloooo, I too forgot about doing the squats with the ball Cathy until she reminded me. We learn and try so many different exercises that sometimes it is difficult to keep track of them all. I think I am up to about 12 a day now.

Meant to mention something. She said I am using my back muscles instead of my left hip muscles. To demonstrate and also to re-educate, or in my case just educate I think, she had me lie on my back,knees bent then slowly slide my foot down as to straighten my leg. When you feel your back starting to rise stop and bring the knee back up. When I tried this at PT I wasn't very aware of what my body was doing, there is always the hurry to move nto the next exercise but when I done it at home I was quite amazed at how I could feel my lower back starting to rise at a certain point. When I done it on my good side my back stayed flat on the floor. This just goes to show how I am using my back at the wrong times. I need to practise getting that leg all the way down whilst not arching my back. No mean feat I tell ya.

Ive been doing good these past couple of days. No bad aches or strains, I've been a good girl and not overdone it. That aint happening any time soon.No siree.lol.
 
Haha, until it happens :whistle: just kidding, have a great wknd coming up. Here in the U.S. it is a 3 day holiday for people. Monday is "labor day" . It is a day to celebrate the economic and social contribution of American workers. Means I will be able to have an extra day with my workaholic spouse :SUNsmile: cathy
 
I spotted my big exercise ball in the garage the other day, so am going to have a go.. Thanks Cath and Anne...
 
Meant to mention something. She said I am using my back muscles instead of my left hip muscles. To demonstrate and also to re-educate, or in my case just educate I think, she had me lie on my back,knees bent then slowly slide my foot down as to straighten my leg. When you feel your back starting to rise stop and bring the knee back up. When I tried this at PT I wasn't very aware of what my body was doing, there is always the hurry to move nto the next exercise but when I done it at home I was quite amazed at how I could feel my lower back starting to rise at a certain point. When I done it on my good side my back stayed flat on the floor. This just goes to show how I am using my back at the wrong times. I need to practise getting that leg all the way down whilst not arching my back. No mean feat I tell ya.

Hi Ann,

I think that some of what you are describing is related to your pelvis and maybe some pelvic tilt. Some of which may be coming from the back muscles and some from the hip & leg/buttock muscles as well. alexthecat; are you up for some commentary on this?

Take care,
Cardie
 
Yoo Hoo... Calling Ann - how are you doing hon?

Sending hugs.. :)
 
Cooeeeeee thanks for popping by lasses.

I'm feeling good today thanksSandy. Had a bit of a rubbishy few days after Gym PT Monday, my good hip decided to act up which had a knock on effect on my back but after a few stretching tips from PT yesterday it has eased up now.

Cardie, thanks for calling Alex. I just mentioned on Jyotis thread how I have a problem recognising what my pelvis is doing. I think I understand what a pelvis tilt is but cannot get my head around how to fix it or how we can improve it ourselves.

Toodle pip for now :)
 
Ann, I agree with everything your PT is doing for you and I hope you'll continue to post your experiences to help other CDH folks.

There are two aspects to your rehab. You have atrophied hip muscles that need strengthening. You also have a habit of using back muscles to compensate for those weak hip muscles. That knee slap exercise is meant to help unlearn that habit. I think your PT has a good handle on this and is moving you in the right direction at a reasonable pace.

You mentioned pelvis position... stand in front of a tall mirror, hands on hips, feet under shoulders or slightly wider. Then, sort of "hula" your hips around in a circle, but watch your elbows. That will give you an idea of how your pelvis is moving and where it wants to get "stuck".
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom