Guest viewing is limited

THR Anniepops THR Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Cathy, Elle and Ada, thanks for the positive thoughts on the pool work, I will be asking about it at next PT appt. elle, I keep forgetting about using the Yoga strap....or hubbys belt in my case :) ,thanks for that. Ada, will pm you the recipe for the lemon cake :)

Cardie, some days are great, some back to normal i.e painful but at least the specific PT seems to be doing some good. At next appt on Monday. Looking forward to seeing if she notices any difference because of exercises. I didn't notice a difference after the plaster unfortunately. Nag me all you want hun. Thanks for caring.x.

Alex, great to have you back. You sound just like Jo in that post.hehe. I think my new hip is wonderful, love it and I am delighted to be able to walk now with only a small limp. The thing is, I wasn't told of any other possible problems post op and so, perhaps naively, I thought all the post op problems and pain would only be in my hip area.......I know, I know, you might think....Are you daft or what? .....but that's how my thinking went :scratch:

The knee pain I put down to the twisting and turning during surgery, the ankle due to stretched tendons after leg lengthening, the sticky out leg under the knee thing I didn't have a clue, but then I was told about the patella problem and the knock knee thing,now I need to get my head around this and understand why this has happened, just me, I am interested as to why this is happening. I was so ignorant pre surgery, thought I would get my new lovely shiney hip and things would be hunky dory after a year or so. I still hope for this but in the meantime whilst I haven't got much else to do, I am going to become an expert on lower body muscles and even learn some of the names.lol. I have learnt so much from BS and became much more aware of how my lower body works. I am enjoying learning.

I hope your friends are okay Alex and that the fires didn't cause a lot of damage.

Hey Sandy, are you and John feeling any better. I do hope so.xxx

Take care lasses

Ann
 
Hi Ann

Just had to come visit :)

I am glad you are learning from the forum, we do have a wealth of information and experience here amongst the threads. One can never stop learning.

You sound as though you have worked a few things out for yourself as well.. Good for you hon :)

Thanks for popping by my thread, it has been a tough couple of weeks. - ta!
 
Yoohoo peeps. Been over a week since I posted. Had a very busy week last week so I was just popping on to see how everyone was doing but didn't have time to post! Kids are off now for the six weeks hols so it's busy busy time.

Anyway, the PT went well last week. No improvement in ROM but she could tell I had been doing my exercises as the muscles had strengthened so that was great. Got a few more exercises to add to my other ones, must say the PT lasses are great. Had check up at the hospital today, seen the nurse again, she checked my ROM and was very happy that it had improved since my 8 week checkup three months ago. I mentioned my knee and foot problems and she said to wait until PT finished and then see what they recommend I do next if there is not enough improvement. She said I would have to go back to my GP for a referral if I have arthritis in my knee or other issues but I could say I want to see the same surgeon who done my hip and I could be fast tracked as I have already had surgery by him so that's good to know.

All in all I'm doing okay, still got foot and knee pain but hoping the continued PT will help a lot.
 
Hi Ann I'm so glad yore doing better I hope things sort themselves out and you don't have to have any more prodding about I think we've all gone through enough with our hip surgery without worrying about having arthritis anywhere else
I'm not doing too bad the first treatment on my foot really helped but yesterday's left me in quite a lot of pain the podiatrist said I've loads of scar tissue in my foot due to 3 injuries I had so his trying to loosen it up,my hydros finished now and I restart the hip class next week so il see how things go with that
It seems to be such a long haul for us doesn't it but our turn will come I think
Take care
 
Hi Ann and Angie;

It does seem like a long haul for those of us that have a congenital issue!! Our turn will come, it's just a very gradual process and requires the patience of a saint... Remember that this year is really all about healing and adapting to some pretty sudden and great (i.e. large) changes in our anatomy.

Keep up the good work ladies and do remember to get rest & take a day off when you need it :flwrysmile:

Take care,
Cardie
 
Such wise, wise words Cardie.. C Mac; ... Missed you girl :)

Slow and steady Ann and Angie;... remember it is a marathon not a sprint.. Even at 8 months I have to remind myself of that!
 
Yoohoo, first and foremost dear Poppet, I am so happy to see you have returned.xxx

PT session Monday. She has determined that my hip muscles are still quite weak so we are going to concentrate on strengthening those and hope that this will help the other problem areas recover. Have got to do clamshells.....still having difficulty with those though. She said my IT band is very tight and had me use the foam roller......oooo how that hurt, I couldn't believe the pain it caused. I went straight to the shop and bought one but couldn't do it that night as it was excrutiating, worse than any hip pain I had. Cardie C Mac; I know you have mentioned using the roller, do you have such pain when using it? I don't want to sound like a right wimp( although I am) but give me muscle strengthening exercises over this any day.

Hope everyones doing well, I've been busy with it being the school hols but I'm trying to keep up with everyones progress, having a quick read every day.

Toodlepip for now.
 
Hi Ann,

Yes, the foam roller stretch for the IT band can be quite uncomfortable!! I did it for the first time in PT many, many years ago (before the fake hip) and complained that the discomfort was worse that labor pains...:heehee: However, nice deep breathing (like that during child birth) does help as you are slowly rolling along -- don't hold your breath. I'd suggest that you only do them once a day and work from whatever number you can tolerate, up -- maybe only 5 one week and try 8 the next. If you've already done IT band work in PT that day you don't have to try to do more roller work that evening -- if it's too sore the next day it's ok to wait a day. It will take some time to get used to the sensation and to loosen up a tight IT band, but you've got plenty of time to get there.

Here is a thread from the library on IT band issues that shows some other types of stretches people have found useful too. It's a common issues for us with THR and many "regular" people experience it as well! :yes:

Hope you and the kids are having a fun holiday!! :flwrysmile:
Take care,
Cardie
 
Hi Cardie, thankyou for coming back to me on this one so quickly, as always, your thoughtfullness is very much appreciated :friends: :thankyou:

I agree the pain is worse than labour pains but I suppose a good comparison is that with both procedures, eventually you get something to celebrate at the end.lol. Fingers crossed anyway.

Thanks for the link too, very informatve :thumb:


I've had another go this afternoon and it was actually not as bad, I think with practise you learn where to put your legs and feet to ease the pressure somewhat, I think I just need more practise and when I totally get the hang of it it will be bearable.

The holidays are going great thanks, we have even had some lovely sunshine whch is a bonus. I guess your kids holidays are over now, if I'm right yours start earlier than our in the UK.

I hope things are going well for you Cardie, have things settled down any yet?

Take care

Ann.x
 
Ann,

The foam roller does get easier...not on day 2 or 3...but maybe somewhere in the 7 to 10 timeframe. And it does help...

A PT of mine years ago seemed to use it as a little torture chamber!

Hang in there,

Z
 
Thanks for the reassurance Z, it's great to know it gets easier. Had to laugh at your PT friends use of it, I can magine it to be very effective in the torturing department.:)
 
Hi Ann,

You can keep your legs straight like this person

Or cross over like this person (which can give a little tug on the groin tendons of the crossed over leg for some people)

I like to be equal opportunity and roll the IT band on each leg and sometimes I will roll the front of my legs together a little bit as well -- little quadricep stretch, not nearly as uncomfortable as working the IT band.

Glad you've gotten some sunny weather. My kids are home from mid June until end of August, so we have a little more time left before the return to school. Seems there are some summer vacation school work assignments that need to be worked on in the meantime -- really hate that, my kids learn year 'round without needing a packet of busywork!!

Take care,
Cardie
 
Hi Ann, just catching up on you. Wondering how things are progressing with the roller. I use the Yamuna ball, which has been around a while before I ever saw the roller. https://yamunabodyrolling.com/ I like it because you can make the ball softer while starting then pump it up later on when you are ready for some more firmness. . Might try the roller though, so wondering how you are liking it now that time has passed.

6 months out and I am still working on clams and leg raises. Taking a long time to build up the strength in that area for me. Sometimes have not been consistent with those excercises but am back to them recently. Hope you are well. Would love to know how things are going, cathy
 
Well hello there everyone, I finally have got round to updating. I'm doing okay Cathy, thankyou for asking :)

Been having one on one PT every fortnight, back again on Tuesday and my OT has suggested I start doing one hour every week in the gym so we will see how that goes.

I'm doing good with the roller Cathy, finding it easier now, Cardie, your tip about breathing properly works as I dud tend to hold my breath whilst doing it now I breath through the pain. The top of my leg is less painful whilst rolling but further down near the knee still hurts a lot, guess that area is still really tight. I still don't really understand how it helps but I will continue to do it.

My hip is doing very well, no pain in there at all, still got knee problems. Pain not as bad but the knock knee problem is still there, infact, below the knee seems to be jutting out even more when I raise my knee whilst standing but when I stand straight I don't look knock kneed, I find it very perplexing and frustrating. My foot is way to the side when I raise my knee.

My PT decided I need to concentrate on improving my hip muscles as they are still quite weak and perhaps this may help my knee issue....I think she s at a bit of a loss on this one so a re-referral to my OS may be in order. I can't just make an appt to see him about my knee, have to go back through my GP again!

I am still feeling quite positive as the pain has gone totally from my hip which is the main thing. I'm getting some SI joint pain after certain activities but painkillers help this. I must remember what it was like pre op to what it is like now and count my lucky stars that that pain is gone.

I'm continuing every day with the home PT. i am now finding this quite tedious as I don't feel like it is doing any good but who knows. I'm going to go to the pool once the kids are back at school and it is quieter again and I am also going to start Nordic walking(thanks Poppet), hoping these activities will see me improve even further.

I've also been looking into voluntary work (either local charity shop or Alzheimers society or possibly both) just a few hours a week to see how I go with a view to getting a job in the new year.

So, all in all things are moving along quite nicely, fingers crossed I continue to improve and can have some sort of a 'normal' active life again In the very near future

Cheerio for now

Xxx
 
Cathy, my PT said that the clamshells are the best thing to strengthen our hip muscles. The problem I have is it depends in which poistion you have your legs, either very bent or a little bit straighter as to how difficult it is also I find it much easier to do them on my bed but ths makes me think this is not the best way to do it, then I can't seem to get my feet n the right position.lol. It looks so easy but can be quite frustrating at times. Trial and error!
 
Hi Annie, went looking for you yesterday and voila :)

Great update hone, I always love to come visit your thread, I learn so much!

Pleased you have no pain in your hip.

Love your PT''s tip about the clamshells, I haven't done those for months now might start again.

I am also intrigued by the roller, so I must look into that, I had the image of a soft foam paint roller... But will have to read more..

I like the idea of Cathy's Yamuna Body Rolling, seems to me that would fit really nicely following a Nordic Walking session.. I haven't seen small ones in OZ.. I bookmarked that link for later - thanks Cathy :) VThereandnow;

I also love that you are making plans for the future, we all need those goals.

Thanks for poppeting by my thread :) Anniepops;
 
Hi Sandy, I too envisioned the foam roller to be like a paint roller until my PT brought it out...they are huge things and believe me, they aint soft at all but well worth a go although be prepared for the intense pain the first time you use it :boohoo:

Tonight I had a brainwave.....you see, I have been a bit absent from BS these past few weeks due to the holidays but tonight I remembered how fantastic BS is in helping with our recoveries. By reading and contributing it kind of spurs us on, gives us a kick up the bum so to speak, even though I have been doing my exercises every day I did feel stuck in a rut like they weren't doing much good and I had become somewhat laxadasical but after posting and reading other posts I got a new wind....see this place is marvelous.

So, the brainwave.....I have had such a tight inner thigh since the swelling went down, the PT said to do sort of open leg sideways stretches and I could feel the tightness when doing this but it didnt seem enough to loosen it up.

Tonight I realised I could be using the foam roller on this. So, after much squirming around on the floor trying to find the right position I managed to start rolling my inner thigh.........it was fab, painful but thats good because I knew I was working the right area.

Now I shall incorperate this one into my exercise routine.

Just want to say a great big WOOHOO for BS and thankyou to everyone who takes time to post, advise, reassure and generally be lovely. I have my Mojo back tonight.

Ann
 
Sandy, if when you dig your knuckles and move it around into your outer thigh it hurts then a foam roller will help. I didn't even realise it was tight until the PT done that, well, it's not something you would do just on speck like dig your knuckles into your thigh.lol.
 
Re: Hiya newbie here.

Thanks Anne, yes the different approaches to recovery are very interesting depending on where you live.

Ive been told physio isn't usually offered so I will just have to wait and see whether I will be offered any later on.

If I think I will need some I won't hesitate to ask though cos 'Shy bairns get nowt' as we say up here.hehe.

Did you find walking was enough for you?

Take care.

Ann
 
Hi Anniepops, I have started to read through this posting but only got part way through...it may take me a while. However, I really need to chat with you, it seems from what I had read so far has been much like my recovery. I am four months post op, hip replaced due to arthritis, used walker for the first 6 weeks at 50% weight bearing, had a fractured femur bone. Had a pt come to our home for the first few weeks and at 3 months post op had a visit with my surgeons pt, he gave me additional exercises, besides walking I do side steps, walk sideways operated leg going first, side stretches op leg, stretch leg out straight up and back behind me while standing, lay on bed and do the crab as he calls it (bring knees up and let legs fall to side.) I still use a cane, can only walk very short distances without it, like about 12 feet at the most and sometimes have to stop, and with that I still limp, feel unstable and leg feels week. I still can not get off low things, still using a riser on my already taller toilet. I feel as though I am not doing enough to increase muscle but not sure what else to do safely and for at least the past month and half I don't feel any progress. I don't see the the surgeons pt for another 2 months. On top of this I have a flare in my knee on the non operated leg, which somedays is so painful. Sometimes when I walk Or do therapy I feel clicking, which from what I understand is due to muscle weakness and at times it feels like my knees are touching or almost while walking. I find myself always explaining why I am still using a cane to others. Somedays I don't feel like life is what I consider normal for what is normal for me, like I am in limbo still, I am so tired of using this cane, my shoulder kills laying on it at night and that's the side I have to sleep on, still can't sleep on my operated side. Could you please share with me, your ups and downs and how your doing now. I guess I am looking for reassurance and encouragement and know I am not alone
Hugs
Hipgirl aka Janet
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom