THR Anniepops THR Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Ann,

Lemon drizzle cake sounds delicious *slurp* :)

Gosh, I wish that alexthecat; was back from her bike ride, I bet she might have a suggestion for how to modify that leg lift a bit until you're strong enough to do the one lying down more easily. I think I remember a while back that we were talking about the broken link removed: https://d3vs5ss8iow0ry.cloudfront.net/video-library/thumbnail/seated-leg-extensions_-_step_1.max.v1.png, do you do that exercise?

Great idea on the frozen water bottle. So, you won't see the physio again for a few weeks?

Did you see Lisa's update the other day? She's a CDH gal too.

Ok, gotta go try to do some stretches my own self...
Take care,
Cardie
 
Hi Ann,

I was reading about your knee and ankle and the exercises you are supposed to do with them. I hope they make you feel better. From what Jo said, it sounds like your knee may be doing its own thing.

The lemon drizzle cakes sound delightful. It would be wonderful if the forum can figure out how to upload goodies to other memebers!

Hope you continue to heal & good luck with all that PT!

Elle
 
Mmm I love cakes and baking Ann and you lemon drizzle sounds lush I'm a ginger fanatic cakes or biccies I don't mind
Il try that with the bottle my feet feel red hot most of the time so it should help think I should come and see your pt for some advice
Well done with your exercises Ann I hope the leg lift gets easier it should with practise hopefully
Have a lovely wet weekend I think it's time we had some lovely sunshine
 
Cardie, I'm still trying the seated leg lift but hip still feels like it is stuck fast. I can raise my leg more now but it's nowt to write home about....still having diffculty sitting up straight...ho hum! I'm keeping the faith :)

Yes I did see Lisas' update, it was good to hear how she is getting on wasn't it. I too would like alex' advce on my new issues, she's always got something to offer which is fab.

Elle, would be nice if I could zap you over a piece of lemon cake, it is delish even if I say so myself :) ..those school cookery lessons stood me in good stead, I can now make a mean cake.lol. And it was nice to get back to baking again......Angie my next one is gong to be Rhubarb and ginger, I love ginger cake and due to the rain my Dads rhubarb is growing like the triffids.
 
Hi Ann,

I will definitely need to know about that rhubarb and ginger cake and maybe even see a picture!! I still think about those rhubarb sarnies we talked about a while back, sound so much more delicious than just a sandwhich...

I think that the muscles that we use on both the seated leg lift and the lying one are the broken link removed: https://media.summitmedicalgroup.com/media/db/relayhealth-images/iliopsoa.jpg and some of these are actually up further into the abdominal area around the hip. Those of us that have CDH and a leg that has been shorter for a long time can have flexors that are weaker on that side and this can mean doing those lifts takes a lot longer because we have to strengthen and stretch those muscles a bit more -- nice and slowly (remember Lisa's thread...). If I am off the mark on this I am sure that either Alex or Josephine; will correct me.

Another thing that I remember from my early PT is that inflammation can also impede range of motion or movement -- in other words, if you are still having some tissue swelling in your hip area it may make it more difficult to move through the range of motion. I experienced this for a while when it came to walking and striding through fully with my op-leg, it just didn't go behind me very far for a few months.

Definitely keep the faith, you are still very early out from your surgery & healing/adapting is still occurring.
Take care,
Cardie
 
Hi Annie,
Have you started to do the DWR. I would recommend it for anyone with any aches and pains. My knees and foot pain has reduced dramatically. Before when I walked my foot would be killing me, now I don't really give it a thought. Yes, I still get a little pain but nothing compared to what I had before. The same can be said for the knees.

Also recommend pool exercises using the water or the 'noodles' as resistance. It does help.

It is hard but you will get there.
Jyoti:friends:
 
Hi Annie

Just popped by to say hello :)

Those straight leg raises laying on the bed got me into all sorts of trouble when I first tried it. Hubby suggested I was lifting the leg too high, (he was a qualified medic in the military, and a therapeutic massage therapist.. So Knows his muscles). He suggested I start very slow, with unoperated leg bent resting on the bed and then lift my operated leg an inch only. ....it worked.... We worked on that and over the next few months each day until I was able to do a full straight leg raise.

I felt pain and discomfort in the areas you were describing, so I was pleased to take it 'slow and easy'

By the way thank you for your caring words on my thread ... Hugs xx
 
Hey everyone, thanks for popping by :)

Ah Cardie, the stewed rhubarb sarnies of which Charlie was aghast at the very suggestion :loll: yum yum. will try to put a pic of the rhubarb and ginger cake when I've made it, it is just sooo moreish. Thanks for the info, yes I still have obvious swelling from thigh down to knee,didn't expect that at four months out but it just goes to show how long the healing process takes. On a positive note, my left leg was always visibly slimmer than my right leg so at the mo they are the same size, great for looking even when wearing tight leggings.lol. So thanks for mentioning it could be affecting my ROM, that gives me hope.x.

Jyoti, that is fantastic news about your knee and foot pain, I am so happy that your pain is pretty much gone, brilliant. I haven't had the chance to go to the local pool yet. There's always some sort of lesson going on there so I have to pick my moment and unfortunately, something has always cropped up when I have planned to go :tantrum: Now, with my new knee issue, I am unsure whether it is a good move to start the DWR as it may be detrimental to my knee problems, forgot to mention it to the PT last week, must remember to ask at next appt in a weeks time. Thanks for reminding me.x.

Sandy, good to see you, hope today finds you and John feeling better.x. Thanks for the advice re the leg lift, perhaps I am tryimg to go too high, you reminded me the PT had to tell me not to go too high when I was practising it. I will try to go a
Ittle lower. Thanks.x.
 
Annie,
I know I'm not qualified but DWR would be great as there is no impact on your knees ,hips etc. Have a word with your Physio. I'm sure it Will help.
Jyoti
 
Annie,

Just catching up on posts. My OS told me that any swelling can take up to a year to resolve completely so you may be right on schedule...one way to look at it. LOL. Good luck when you do try the pool. I am still thinking about it and I'm hoping it brings you some relief.

Cake sounds wonderful and you have a great attitude which we know helps so much. Hang in there and thanks for all the encouragement.
 
Thanks Jyoti and Diane. Good to hear the swelling is quite normal Diane, it's weird how it can last so long.
 
I found this post on another forum whilst looking for info about my knee problem, copying it here so it can help others in the future.

{ I had an anterior left hip replacement on 24 Jan 2012 and made an amazing recovery EXCEPT for left knee pain which developed a few weeks after the surgery. It was particularly painful when climbing stairs and when cycling uphill. I have just been to a physiotherapist who diagnosed patellofemoral pain syndrome and has given me exercises to strengthen my quads and to correct the tracking of my patella (kneecap). He says it was caused by the domination of one of my gluteal muscles at the expense of the inner gluteal muscle because of my abnormal gait before the surgery. This pulls the kneecap out of position and causes the irritation and pain. If the exercises don't help, he will try taping the patella as well }

This to me sounds plausible and if it's correct, gives me hope that my knee problem can be fixed
 
Annie, just catching upon your thread. Seems I have lost track of a few people after the conversion. Sounds like you've been having a time of it. There is sooo much information out there, so many good ideas, yet so many things something can be when an issue pops up that it is hard to decipher what it might be. Too darn many muscles in the hip and butt area and they are all so close together. In a past life (meaninsolver 20 years ago) I was a licensed massage therapist for a short time and now, after purging a lot of that info to make room for other things, I too, get confused on what is what and what does what.

...and my 2 cents on the pool. Fantastic! My PT has woven that in and out. Started in the pool, then to a mixture of land and pool, then total land. Now that I have been at a bit of an impasse with some things, we are taking a break from PT and I am using their pool for a few weeks to try and move me through the impasse. It really is amazing how much more I can do in the pool and it does seem to more gently help move me through the blockages I hit on land. It is worth a try. Even more than the hip strengthening, it feels good all over. Sometimes all these stiffness and aches and pains, I feel like I am 80, but in the pool ahhhhh, so nice.

Hope you get this thing figured out soon and get some relief for yourself. , cathy
 
Hi Ann,

Just popping by to check out your progress, which sounds good except for the annoying knee issue. It will settle :)

Remember, slow and steady wins the race :)
 
Hey there Annie,

Wow, that is interesting information you found on an post about paetella pain. I agree with Cathy that ther eis so much information that we have been collecting, sometimes, especialy for more illusive things, it ca be confusing to figure out exactly what is happening.

I hope you do get some pool time in, as it sounds like it would be a great PT option.

Oh, for those leg lifts, like Sandy says, definitely keep opposite leg bent at first and you might try a yoga strap (or towel or belt) to encourage your leg to "hold the position" for 10 counts (or start at 3 count). When your muscle gets the idea, you can gradually release the strap.

Good luck and...YUM ...rhubarb!

Elle
 
Wow... what a story; also catching up as Cathy on some threads I missed prior to "new Bonesmart."

The pool is great for me... hope it continues to help you and helps you get past "certain" pains and stiffness. My OS says 8-12 months before all stiffness is gone, but the estimate is different for all of us.

Baking sounds like you must be feeling better! How about the recipe for the Lemon Drizzle Cake? LOVE lemon!

Healing thoughts being sent your way....
 
Hi Ann,

The information that you shared a few posts up sounds a bit like what you had shared from your first physio visit. How did the plaster that she applied work out for you, notice anything different? Maybe your knee cap is tracking differently because of the surgery and also because of the added length that your OS gave you with the appliance. Knee cap tracking is definitely impacted by the quadricep muscles -- I don't know about the other stuff regarding the glutes but alexthecat; could translate that portion.

So, when are you going back to see the physio.... I don't mean to nag, just want you to get connected with someone that can give you more direct support and guidance in "real life." :)

Take care,
Cardie
 
My translation goes like this: "Everything is attached to everything else." That's Jo's wisdom, but I'm happy to steal it from her.

You developed muscle imbalances to deal with your dodgy, old hip. Many of those muscles are not just in the hip. They also connect your hip to other things, like your knee.

As your muscles adapt to the new hip, there may be some pain. It should get better in the coming months. In the meantime, medicate as needed and ice too. Do some physical therapy, but it does not have to be leg lifts. Walking the dog counts. So does cleaning house. If it's physical, it's therapy.

Oh, and it isn't necessary to understand what specific muscle(s) are causing a particular sensation at a given time. Hips tend to sort themselves out on their own, in their own time, no matter what you do. No need to overcomplicate things. :)
 
Such WISE people we have on this forum.... THANK YOU. I learn, regardless iif the situation is mine or anothers.

Night.
 
Alex has certainly made some very important point, that one doesn't always need to do PT - general living counts... Thanks Alex :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom