Ankle Ankle surgery 12/21/2023

I am a biped!

Great news at the doctors appointment today! I am healed up and my ankle is stable. I am cleared to walk. I don’t even have to use the boot if I don’t want to. He said whatever I am comfortable with, I can use it another week or 2 if I feel anxious about it, but it’s not necessary. I was wearing a wide Columbia ankle boot on my other foot and he recommended wearing that if it’s not too tight.

I have been walking a little with my boot and walker. I did a few stairs. I am so happy!!

I start PT tomorrow. I will have it twice a week on Tuesdays and Fridays for 6 weeks. I scheduled for afternoons since getting to my car is such a hassle with our driveway being behind the house. Hubby will take me. She got most of my appointments scheduled with Dani, my former physical therapist from my hip surgery, whom I love!

I have one final check up in 6 weeks. The normally smart assy surgeon was really nice. He said I have done well, he is pleased with my recovery. I told him either I am a good healer, he’s a good surgeon, or a little of both. He said we can share in the credit.

He cannot tell yet if the hardware he inserted will have to come out. Generally, it doesn’t. But time will tell.

I asked him about the 4-6 month timeline for hiking and he said based on my progress, he expects I can try that out in 3 months, just to consider wearing an ankle brace on hikes if I start that soon.

I also confirmed my injury. It was a trimaellalor fracture with dislocation. He said it was barely trimaellalor. I completely broke 2 bones and had a hairline fracture in the third, which was too small to even pin.

I feel good! Optimistic! Ready to begin the hard work of PT. My first appointment is tomorrow. I wanted to jump right in.
 
Wonderful news, @MissFanny! :loveshwr:

Being able to use both feet again after this surgery is so freeing, isn't it? Don't be surprised if the muscles and soft tissues in your leg complain for a bit. But know that it will get better.

So glad you are on your way to a full recovery!
 
Thank you, @benne68! I am so happy, I am practically giddy. Been walking since I got cleared, but I am wearing the boot and using a walker. Trying not to overdo it and end up in pain and swollen.
 
That’s fantastic news. I’m so pleased for you. Don’t start jumping just yet! Take it slowly and build up gradually.
 
@Lindylee, I am being super careful and treading very gently. :wink: I don’t want to bring back that nasty old pain just yet. Although I am quite sure the Physical Therapist will help reawaken it tomorrow!
 
First PT done, 14 sessions to go! Felt good to move + she gave me a nice foot massage for my swelling. I am pretty sore now, though. Icing and wrapping up my day of work. My PT girl said she was excited to see my name on her schedule and sad when she saw why.
 
I finally went up and down the dreaded stairs today! I put on jeans instead of stretchy pants. I tried to put a regular shoe on my injured foot, but it was too tight. I am going to have hubby try to find a pair of old snow boots I haven’t worn in a while. They are big and stretched out. I am also going to go to the thrift store and get a couple canes. I will keep one upstairs and one down. And finally, we are going to a favorite park of mine so I can get some fresh air!
 
So many lovely milestones!!!! :SUNsmile:
 
I did pretty well. We went to the thrift store and I got a nice set of crutches for $4. I don’t have a handicap sticker and ended up having to park quite a way from the door. I quickly realized how little walking I have done in our small house! But once I secured the crutches, I threw the walker in the trunk and used one crutch to get around. So much easier to do one crutch (vs a walker) out in the real world. We went to a park. I found a sunny bench, and hubby went for a walk. After that, we went out for burgers and ice cream. Oh, and I drove! All in all, we were out about 3 hours. I was pretty pooped. I am elevating and icing my burning ankle now. I still have a ways to go but I’m pleased with my progress considering I just started walking Wednesday. It felt great to get out of the house!
 
Last edited:
You did very well! One crutch is so much easier isn’t it? I’m still using 2 if I’m out for a short walk but anything involving a shop is much easier with one. I just can’t be on the foot as long.
 
@Lindylee I am going to try a short walk today and I planned to use 2 crutches!

I got my foot into a regular shoe (ankle boot) this morning. It hurts but I am doing it! I noticed my foot wants to turn outward when I walk. I hope that is the swelling and maybe the pain (my body is finding the least painful way to walk), and not that my ankle healed wonky. I am very deliberate in keeping my feet pointed straight forward when I walk now.
 
A regular shoe is a great step forward too. Each little step forward feels so good after the weeks of non weight bearing and elevating. It’s all about listening to our bodies and getting the balance right Isn’t it? They soon let us know when we’ve overdone it!
 
@MissFanny Do make sure the shoes you are wearing have heels and soles that are not worn down in an old limping pattern! IF there is significant wear on the shoes that could be contributing to both the foot turning outward and to any pain you are having.
 
@djklaugh, new shoes, but I have never limped so my old shoes should be OK, too. I bought all new shoes after my second hip surgery. I never limped before my hip surgeries either, but decided to start fresh!

I am so excited about this: I did a mile-long walk on a paved trail through a pretty prairie before lunch today! I did switch back to my boot and used 2 crutches. My pace was 1.725 mph. :heehee: But that is probably not too shabby on crutches. If you had told me two weeks ago I would soon go on a mile-long walk, I wouldn’t have believed it. I am so happy. Icing and elevating now, but mostly as a precaution. The ankle is in pretty good shape.
 
Back to work FT from home now and the sitting is increasing my swelling. Doh. Going to try to find a way to elevate my leg at my desk today.

Other than that, I am feeling pretty well. I didn’t sleep well yesterday and got the old weepy frustrated / feeling sorry for myself feelings I battled the first few weeks. I slept a little better last night, so hopefully today will be better. I don’t remember the last time I got a solid 8 hours of sleep. That would help immensely.

Second PT today. She wants me to bring in a shoe, but I suspect I will be too swollen to get my foot in a shoe by my afternoon appointment.

The past couple days have been a mixed bag. I need to be patient, I know this. Patience is not one of my strong qualities.
 
The past couple days have been a mixed bag. I need to be patient, I know this.
Sometimes when we feel down about our progress, it helps to remind ourselves how far we have come. Just think where you were a few weeks ago. You're doing well. :console2:
 
Back
Top Bottom