Guest viewing is limited

Ankle Ankle surgery 12/21/2023

@benne68 I am so darn happy! I know it’s not 100 percent behind me, but the really hard stuff is. My next goal is to hike my favorite moderate difficulty trail on Sunday, April 21. That is 4 months from surgery to the day.
 
Excellent news, time to get in with your life. It's amazing what a bit of time and support will let you achieve.
Be careful on the stairs for a while yet, just in case!
Will they take that plate & pins out in future? They had to remove mine as the bottom pins rubbed my walking boots.
 
@Annie N the surgeon said to try to live with the hardware, if possible, but if I have discomfort, they can be removed.

I am sooo careful on stairs now! In fact, just this morning I was thinking how carefree and innocent I was 3 months ago, not giving stairs a second thought. Now my mind and body calculate every step.
 
@MissFanny Just keep in mind that having the hardware removed requires another major surgery -- and recovery. After my ORIF, my surgical team encouraged me to "wait it out" when I complained about the hardware. They were right; the discomfort diminished over time, so I'm glad I didn't put myself through another surgery!

One member who had an ORIF for a trimalleolar break also struggled with hardware discomfort for a while, but decide to wait and had a good outcome. Here's her story if you are interested.
 
the surgeon said to try to live with the hardware, if possible, but if I have discomfort, they can be removed.
I was told that for three years, eventually they saw I was having to pad my ankle to wear boots. They took out the plate & pins in my fibula, that was less then half an hour's work. Don't do the other screw as it's unlikely to be an issue.
It took me a couple of weeks to heal, it was no big issue, definitely not major, but so much more comfortable quickly.
Don't be put off, but obviously only do it if you need to. I just noticed your pins are a bit like mine were, mine worked their way proud, damn eh.
Glad to hear the stairs have taken on more respect!
 
@benne68, that was a good read! Loved the happy ending at 1 year. Made me realize I am recovering quickly, too! Wondering whether my hiking boots will work for me.
 
We planned a trip for mid-May. I hope I am well enough for what I signed on for! May 10, we are driving to St Paul (3.5 hour drive) for a concert (Trey Anastasio Band—frontman of the band Phish). The morning of May 11, we are driving to Badlands NP in South Dakota (7.5 hour drive). Two days in the Badlands, then driving to Keystone, South Dakota (1.5 hours) for Black Hills, Devils Tower, Custer State Park, Mount Rushmore, etc. Driving home Wednesday morning (9 hours). Thursday is a rest day. Friday and Saturday, local bluegrass music festival. Sunday rest. Monday back to work.

Gah! It sounds like a lot all typed out. I have 6 weeks to shape up and build stamina.

ETA: We may have to intersperse some of the hiking we would normally do with a scenic drive here and there.
 
Sounds like a wonderful trip, @MissFanny. Although those two long driving days may make that ankle stiff, you know what to do!
 
6 months after surgery, you should be fine but do take a stick & ice packs & a sense of humour!
I love festivals, we have two booked this year, but I won't be doing my usual thing and working bar shifts for my tickets.
 
@Annie N, it will be 4 1/2 months from surgery, but I can listen to my body and stop when it’s too much. I haven’t been good at that during this recovery, but I have had a painful setback at 11 weeks that taught me a valuable lesson about not pushing too hard.

I feel well now but I have been gentle with my body. I have taken a few weeks off long walks. I do 10-20 minute walks and gentle yoga. I plan to start back on my stationary bike so I can build leg strength while continuing to let those joints that took a beating in the fall heal. I have also cut out all sugar and most caffeine, and I don’t drink alcohol as of almost 4 years. I am planning to do a Whole30 the month of April. That always gets my inflammation levels down and helps me drop a few pounds. I should be in pretty good shape by mid May if I stick to my plan!
 
@Annie N I love that you volunteer at festivals! The volunteers are what makes the magic possible! I don’t blame you for taking time off from that this year! :loveshwr:
 
Except for not having full range of motion restored in my ankle, I feel as close to normal as I have since the accident. The yoga and anti-inflammatory diet are working. I set a goal to hike one of my favorite trails April 21. It seemed absurdly out of reach to me 2 weeks ago. Today, I can envision myself doing this in 10 days.

:walking:

I am beginning to learn the lesson about being patient and gentle with myself. I see it now that I have been through the gamut of emotions ranging from defeated and heartbroken to over eager and impatient. I hope that I can apply what I have learned to future challenges. Gentleness, patience, time. The secret recipe for success.

I will let you know if I accomplish my April 21 hike! And I won’t attempt it unless I feel absolutely ready per my lessons learned. Haha!
 
:SUNsmile: what a great update! You know we'll be cheering you and waiting for your hike report!
 
I am beginning to learn the lesson about being patient and gentle with myself. I see it now that I have been through the gamut of emotions ranging from defeated and heartbroken to over eager and impatient. I hope that I can apply what I have learned to future challenges. Gentleness, patience, time. The secret recipe for success.
Thank you for sharing this -- I know it will be helpful to other members who are still in the early days of their recoveries.
Enjoy that upcoming hike! :hiking:
 
Four months since surgery. I feel great! I have lost about 12 pounds in these past 4 month, which helps a lot. I have done a couple of slow hikes (with poles) on unpaved, hilly trails. My pain is gone! I am optimistic, energetic, and happy. I am still very cautious with that ankle because I don’t want setbacks, but I’m returning to normal!

Thursday I went for my one-year checkup on my left hip and 19-month checkup on the right. Surgeon said, “Everything looks great! See you in five years,” I sincerely hope to not set foot in another Orthopedic surgeon’s office for 5 years.
 
5 year review? Wonder why?
Not something that happens in the UK, you're normally out the door at 6 months, sometimes 3!
Maybe it's best to not go back if you are well & let them get on with those who need their help. I'm with you about getting on with your life.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom