Guest viewing is limited

Ankle Ankle surgery 12/21/2023

Always good to hear positive news. Our feet take a lot of weight so good to take it steady and look after them through the healing process.
 
Added a couple new tricks to my bag this weekend! I was able to get up and down off a yoga mat. This was my first time attempting to get on the floor. I did have to brace myself on the coffee table to lower and raise myself—I don’t think that ankle is ready for that much tension. I also couldn’t do every yoga pose I normally do; even child’s pose felt like it would be too much weight on my ankle. But I got a good stretch! And I needed it. My back and shoulders are stiff from all the walker, scooter, and crutch walking. I also began alternating legs going up and down stairs instead of good leg up, bad leg down.

We went out for a little bit last night. Caught a folk duo at this cool venue we’ve never been to. I live in the Midwestern USA and this place is an old one-room school house (brick, so it must have been fancy for the time) transformed into an espresso, wine, and craft beer place + music venue. It is surrounded by fields and has huge windows. We were there at sunset and flocks of geese were feeding on leftover corn from the fields. It was pretty with the sunset and the music and the geese. We just stayed for their first set and left early for a Mexican food dinner. We were home by 8 pm but that was plenty for me! My first Saturday night out! Last weekend, we took my grandson to a botanical garden/dome and they had a blues duo playing music. That did not go as well. I felt lowkey awful the whole time and swelled pretty badly. What a difference a week makes!
 
One more milestone this morning: the house is put back to normal! All of my medical equipment is returned (the rented stuff) or stored. I only have my crutches and boot out now. I listed my knee scooter on Craigslist. We moved all the furniture we pushed out of the way to provide me more clearance back in place. I dusted, vacuumed, and swept. I put my plants back in there rightful places and gave them fertilizer and water. Feels good in here!

We are going to take a short roadtrip to a park we like (about an hour) that has a paved trail.

Happy Sunday, everyone! I think I am coming along. There seem to be more ups than downs lately as I get out in the world more and physically find myself able to do more.

The accident was 9 weeks ago tomorrow.
 
I also couldn’t do every yoga pose I normally do; even child’s pose felt like it would be too much weight on my ankle. But I got a good stretch!
That first yoga session -- even if it's a limited one -- really does feel wonderful, doesn't it!

Listen to you leg and modify accordingly. Take it slowly. You will get back to doing all your favorite poses with time!

:flwrysmile:
 
Hello, hello! I have been lurking but don’t have much news lately. I am off the crutches, but my ankle is still sore. I just can’t handle all the back and hip aches that go along with using devices like crutches and boot. I can walk a out 1.5 miles in a boot now. I wear it only for longer walks. I tried a walk at a park without one today. I made it a mile but I was really sore and starting to walk badly. Back to the boot for another week when I go for walks, I think!

I went into the office last Thursday. It was nice to be around people IRL but I didn’t get much except chatting done!

Feeling well. But still frustrated with how slow this recovery feels!

10 weeks since the accident today. Thursday will be 10 weeks since my surgery.
 
For ten weeks I think you're doing great - just try really hard to be patient and only increase walking in short increments!!
 
Possibly you were given high expectations of a quick recovery, it's frustrating when that doesn't happen but it's very normal I'm afraid.
Please take it more slowly as you may possibly be hurting yourself, and even setting your recovery back by overdoing it. If you are limping that means you need extra support, please don't limp it's really not good for your back & hips.
Do you have a fold up walking stick that you can pull out to use when you need it? I'm using that now, fold it into my bag for walking a few yards, pull it out for longer trips. I can walk a lot further with that extra support, I don't lean on it heavily, but it just stops the uneven walking that hurts my knees.
The next month will see some maybe improvements, be patient & give yourself time. You are still healing & will be for some while.
 
Last edited:
It sounds as if your body was telling you a mile is too much too soon. Please be careful, you don’t want to put yourself back. Remember baby steps not big strides? Increase distance slowly and try a stick or trekking pole that you can carry and only use when you need to as Annie suggests. I have some of the telescopic trekking poles that I used before my surgery and found them much better than crutches or a standard walking stick as they keep you more upright. I’m about 18 weeks post op and wouldn’t walk a mile without my poles just yet.
 
Oh, I did use trekking poles when I walked without the boot. It was just a little too long without a boot and my ankle started to feel weak near the end. I am going to stick with the boot for longer walks for now. As much as I dislike it, I cannot go back to being cooped up indoors and sedentary.

I don’t limp. It would hurt my hips too much! But I take smaller than normal steps. I don’t have a normal gait with a crutch either, though. I am trying to concentrate on longer strides and rolling the foot. We spend some time on that in PT each session.

My husband thinks I should get a cane. That would probably be better for my posture than a crutch.

I definitely know my limits but always try to push just a little beyond that! :wink:

I was told 4-6 months to feel good and 12 months to “normal,” but I am still impatient as can be! I need to remember how far I have come instead of lamenting what I have lost. It doesn’t help that my whole body is stiff and achy all the time. I am stretching several times a day now, pretty much any chance I get!
 
A cane is way better for overall walking structure!!!
I don't like the traditional curved handle cane - the hand around makes me stoop even at the correct height - but love an adjustable cane or walking stick with a horizontal grip.
Your PT can show you the optimal height for you. It's lower than most folks expect!
 
I am still impatient as can be! I need to remember how far I have come instead of lamenting what I have lost
By the end of the year, you will have all but forgotten this slow recovery. You will be walking normally and will rarely even think about the fact that you have that plate and screws in there. When I reached the one-year mark in my ankle recovery, the only time I was remind was when I noticed the scars!

Speaking of scars -- I'm sure you've been told this, but just in case -- be sure to keep those scars protected from the sun this summer with long pants or frequent sunscreen reapplication so you don't risk sunburn!
 
While bio oil is often recommended for scar management, it will not provide protection from sunburn, @Annie N. in fact, putting it on the scar before going out in the sun can make the new tissue more likely to burn.

Protecting the scar from the sun is especially important during the first year post-op, because baby skin is very susceptible to burning. Keeping the scar covered with sunscreen and clothing is the only way to do that.
 
Not sure I said bio oil acted as sun lotion did I? If so that's not what I meant
 
We took a long weekend and did a short roadtrip to the Dwight Eisenhower Presidential Library & Museum (amazing man, super inspired by his greatness and humility) and a tall grass prairie preserve. I did pretty well! One of our two days out, I hiked 45 minutes just in tennis shoes. I probably won’t do that again, I need the ankle support of my hiking boots, but I am pleased with how well I held up on this trip!

Yesterday was 11 weeks since the accident. I went into work for a meeting with our soon-retiring senior manager (I usually work from home), and I got several, “Wow! You look great! You’re getting around great! I would never know what you just went through!” comments. I was walking really well yesterday.

I have 2 more weeks of PT scheduled. I am ready to be done with that. I can do almost all the exercises at home, except a leg press machine they have me do. And I am doing deep squats at home for that same purpose. I see my surgeon for hopefully my last appointment on March 22.

Definitely noticing improvement again the past few days. I think I am gonna make it! :yahoo:
 
I “graduated”! Had my final post op follow up today and the surgeon and PA say everything looks great. I am free to live my life! I feel well. I still have lingering swelling—of course—but I am getting stronger every day. The receptionist was like, “Wow!! Look at you! You would never know you had a terrible accident that you healed from.” I am marveling at it myself. 3 months ago, I was in a wheelchair and cast, high as a kite on OxyContin, depressed, sad, defeated, in pain. Today, I am walking around like nothing ever happened.

I have been working on myself. I quit sweets a month ago. I started an anti inflammatory diet 2 weeks ago. I am doing 40 minutes of yoga a day trying to get these bones back into proper alignment. I cut way back on caffeine. Switched to decaf green tea and 2 cups of half caff coffee. I am working to be calm and relaxed. I still take 400 mgs of ibuprofen before bed, but otherwise I am drug free.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Ankle surgery 12/21/2023
    IMG_1491.jpeg
    133.8 KB · Views: 36
Back
Top Bottom