THR And now on the healing side...

Hi!
In a few hours I'll be exactly 7 weeks out from getting my shiny new hip. Happily, there haven't been any real set-backs or painful episodes, only the expected stiffness and soreness that comes and goes. The biggest challenges have been boredom and frustration that comes with the limitations of my restrictions, especially the 90* one. Even though I've become practically an Olympic champion with use of a cane or a grabber as a multi-tool, I can't figure out a way to weed and clean my flowerbeds, or do certain household tasks that require maneuvering around ankle level. Trimming toenails? Forget it! On the plus side of that, my granddaughter and I are going for pedis today...my first one ever at 70 plus years! And I figured out a way to hold a razor with a pair of kitchen tongs so my leg hair has been under control :heehee:
I've been on the OneStep program and enjoying it. My therapist is great about adjusting my exercises to keep things interesting and challenging. A round trip walk down to the mailbox is almost 1/4 mile, and omigosh what a pleasure to do it with no pain! Before the surgery, I'd need several rest stops and often wished I had brought a lawn chair along.
I'm very grateful to have found this place. The positivity, encouragement, and practical advice by members has been so helpful. On days when recovery is mentally challenging, it coming here reminds me that my Patience Muscle needs some exercise; when my leg is sore or stiff you all are here to remind me that it'll get better.
Best wishes and happy healing to all of you.

I figured out a way to hold a razor with a pair of kitchen tongs so my leg hair has been under control :heehee:

Two tips -
Check out the Giraffe razor on Amazon.
Giraffe Razor Extension Handle
Telescoping handle adds 15-20 inches in Length to a Razor Handle - Eliminates Bending at the Waist
Pivoting Head Rotates to a 30°, 45° or 90° angle - Maximizes Flexibility
Two Universal Razor Attachments, Small, and Large - Accommodates the Most Popular Men's and Women's Premium Disposable and Reusable Razors on the Market Today
No Slip Grip with Rubberized Finish - Perfect for Anyone who has Difficulty Grasping Objects
Quick Connect and Release Buttons - Ease of Use

giraffe shaver holder US.JPG

Another option I’ve read here is securely taping a razor to a wooden paint stick or 12 inch ruler. Never tried it, but read it works!

Corona GT 3040 Clipper GT3040 Extendable Handle Weeder
I have the same issue with weeding. Every time I walk by the garden I see more of them! My friend suggested a long handle weeder. I didn’t know they even existed or if they’re effective. But I’m going to try - probably get from Home Depot so it can be returned if it’s a flop.

Don’t trust myself with a razor on a long handle! Esp while in blood thinner.
But I’m 6 weeks out and my surgeon basically said no real restrictions now except for “I know you, don’t overdo it” :)

Don’t trust myself with a razor on a long handle! Esp while in blood thinner.

Personally, I didn’t either, but I know many do. It was at this point I graduated to an electric razor. May not be a close enough shave for some, but with the lighter hair growth that comes with aging, it sufficed for me.

Trimming toenails? Forget it! On the plus side of that, my granddaughter and I are going for pedis today...my first one ever at 70 plus years! And I figured out a way to hold a razor with a pair of kitchen tongs so my leg hair has been under control

Corona GT 3040 Clipper GT3040 Extendable Handle Weeder

Had to do a double take, missed the weeding issue....thought someone was suggesting using the weedeater for toenails or hairy legs.:loll::heehee::rotfl::snork::rofsign:

Thanks Layla!
So far so good on the healing. I haven't had much trouble other than some muscle stiffness and soreness that varies day to day, and a couple of weird incision things where the dang thing just burned like fire even though the skin is healed very well. My guess is that it was/is some sort of nerve regeneration.
I've been continuing with OneStep and it's been very helpful. Not only with strength and ROM but in giving me little goals to meet and a record of progress. I haven't been my normally competitive self with trying to do tons of activities and walking and all that, and I believe taking it easy has been a factor in my relatively easy recovery.
On the rough side, the restrictions of being a postie are driving me crazy. My surgeon seems pretty conservative with post op activity, and I've been minding them as best I can. But it's so difficult to not be able to do simple things like clean my flower beds, wipe dog snots off the lower kitchen cabinets, get dust bunnies out from under the bed, or bathe the dogs. I have 4 more weeks until my 12 week appointment with the surgeon, and if he doesn't give me a giant green light I might be in jail soon afterwards :tantrum:
At any rate, I try to count the blessings. Like last week when I had to stand in line at the pharmacy, and did it with no problem at all. Last time I was there, 3 months ago, a few minutes in line was agony and I had to plop down at the blood pressure station for a little relief.
Best wishes to all the other hippies here. You folks are the best!

At any rate, I try to count the blessings. Like last week when I had to stand in line at the pharmacy, and did it with no problem at all. Last time I was there, 3 months ago, a few minutes in line was agony and I had to plop down at the blood pressure station for a little relief.

Atta girl! I love a grateful heart and this surgery seems to bring that out in us. We tend to realize and be thankful for all of the simple things we took for granted before our hip deteriorated. Wishing you many more blessings to count!

Happy Three Months to you!
I hope you have a wonderful holiday season and a happy healthy 2021!
@subie2021
:xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon:

Thank you for the good wishes!
At three months out I think I'm doing pretty well. Physically, my recovery has been easy, with no real pain after the first few days; even then I would describe it as discomfort rather than pain. Lately I've had some soreness in the quad area, and it comes and goes so I'll chalk it up to part of the healing process in there.
A couple of days ago I had the 3 month check up with the surgeon. I was looking forward to marching into the office to show off how good my new hip is. But as luck (or maybe karma keeping me in check) would have it, I pulled some muscles in my un-opped hip and back the night before, so I was reduced to a limpy hobble. Ironical maybe, the cause was an argument with my abduction pillow that I lost.
I was hoping that the surgeon would loosen up the restrictions so I could get back to normal, but he didn't. He extended them to nine months instead of six! He didn't give much of a reason other than "there's a lot of readjusting going on in there". My newest xrays looked good and he didn't mention any potential problems.
It's so discouraging. It's not like I want to go bungee jumping or take tumbling lessons...all I want to do is take proper care of my dogs and horses and our home, and to resume my hobbies of dog training and metal detecting. It all requires movements that are forbidden.
I think maybe he sees me as an old rusted out beater that will do to get Grandma to church every week for a few years. I wish he'd look under the hood and see the NASCAR engine there!
So my fellow hippies, do you have any advice? Has anyone been in this predicament? How to deal with this?

Hello @subie2021
I don’t understand this, nor can I blame you for feeling frustrated. I didn’t have any restrictions aside from move slowly and if anything hurts, STOP.

I think I’d put in a call to the surgeon and ask him to give you a more detailed explanation for these prolonged restrictions. It seems you’re doing well with OneStep, you haven’t mentioned any issues with PT, that I noticed, so I’m confused as to why he’s holding you back.

Have you spoken with any other of his patients, or has PT mentioned this is standard protocol of his? I’m guessing they must be somewhat familiar with him if they’re in the same healthcare system. Obviously you can physically do whatever you decide you want to do, or feel capable of at this point of your recovery, within reason of course, but it’s understandable you‘d prefer a nod from your surgeon first. I seriously think I’d ask him if he will consider allowing you more freedom and be very specific about what it is that you want the green light on.

Hope you have a good day. :)

I have no qualifications to offer medical advice but I wonder what their reasoning is for restrictions past 3 mos. For me it was 6 weeks but they erred on the side of use caution after that. I can understand your frustration at this point. I really didn't mind or fight the restrictions for the first 6-8 weeks, I just felt it was good for the healing process. Past that it was a slow go as I was able to stretch and loosen things to get back to bending, kneeling and getting up from the floor without placing too much strain on my hip.
Just my opinion but I would want further clarification as to why the extension when you feel good and haven't had any problems.

This is a copy and paste from the post op instruction booklet...
"do not cross legs, internally rotate the legs, or flex the hip above 90 degrees for six months postoperatively.
Continue weight bearing, as ordered, to the operated hip for four to six weeks as directed in Physical Therapy. This will be with the use of a walker or crutches. After four or six weeks you may then progress to the use of one crutch, or a cane."
Even though it says 6 months, he told me 9. And notice he says to use a walker or two crutches for 4-6 weeks. I was off the daggone cane at 3 1/2 weeks. Another directive says to use that horrible abduction wedge for 6 months.
I had mentioned to the PT that the surgeon seemed fairly conservative and she said "Um, yeah". I know sometimes the allied med professionals need to be careful about what they say about the docs, so I didn't go farther with that discussion but we talked about progressing as I am able.
At the office call I mentioned that from time to time I realize that I'm breaking the restrictions without realizing it, in the same way we hippies start leaving the cane behind. He said to just remember that my enemy is sudden sharp movements [he fake stumbled to illustrate] and that movement should be slow and deliberate [another not clumsy fake stumble].
I've decided to interpret that remark as proceed with caution. I wanna ditch the sock aid...trim my own toenails...clean under the sink...that sort of thing.
I'll see if I can get in to talk to him again soon.

Thank you all for understanding and for your support. It helps so much to vent to people who get it. You all rock!

Wow @subie2021 ! I have been on this forum for many years and can't say I have seen such extended restrictions. In my experience when you move "wrong" your hip will quickly let you know. I think your proceed with caution is the right approach. But it doesn't sound like he will change his approach. Just stay slow and steady.

I would agree with the thinking that sudden sharp movements aren't good and moving deliberately is a good idea. Post-op I was very mindful about moving deliberately, and I still am a lot more careful than before my THR's. I used to just do things without thinking and many times put myself in bad positions. I now get on and off things slower, pay attention to handrails, don't just jump out of trucks, and climb ladders much slower.
I'll have to find my pre-op THR handbook, I remember the basic restriction rules but I don't remember the book having a set timeline beyond the 6 weeks and apply caution after that.

Noooooooooo!!!!!!

My first surgeon was super conservative with restrictions, so much that he scared the daylights out of me. My physical therapist had to talk me down numerous times because I was so afraid of doing any movements he had forbidden, even after the three months. She kept telling me that I could move in that direction, but not with force, so kind of the same idea. She would never say it (she's very professional), but I had the feeling that the physical therapists in that office had to do that a lot with his patients. He made me so nervous. That was one reason why I sought another surgeon for the second one.

My second surgeon gave me the same precautions, but for only 6 weeks. The NP said, "Don't throw your leg into that position," indicating to just be careful about sharp movements. After that, I just shouldn't do anything that hurts.

Maybe you scared him with your stumble and he reacted by extending the restrictions, thinking that would make you be more careful? I would really want to know his reasoning.

Ugh. I'm so sorry! So frustrating!!!!!!! @subie2021

Happy Friday and Happy Four Month Anniversary, subie!
I hope the noose is slowly loosening, lol. I’m referring to your last post.
Thanks for all of the thoughtful support you offer to others here. Wishing you many blessings in the new year!
@subie2021

Hello fellow hippies!
It's been a good month despite still living in The Restriction Zone. But then, with no Hip Police around I've been committing lots of misdemeanors - violating the 90 mostly. I'm still careful about being mindful and slow(ish) with activities, and watch out for the rotation thing. I guess my surgeon has his reasons, and if I trusted him enough to slice my leg open, dislocate and saw off a chunk of bone, then use screws and a hammer to get me put together and mobile again, I ought to at least try to comply.

I don't need any pain meds at all and sleeping is much improved. I exercise my dogs every day by turning them loose and following on our atv. I've reclaimed my place as Boss Mare with the horses. All my aids have been put away! No more grabber or sock machine! Bye bye raised toilet seat! Yesterday I asked DH if he'd help me with my toes...I needed to remove polish and trim...and he agreed. But when he showed up with his leather farrier's apron and the hoof trimmers I did the ankle on knee thing and *made* myself reach those last inches and do it myself!
Yeah, he thinks he's just a riot:rotfl: but it was nice to have him on standby in case I needed to call 911.

A couple of questions have occurred to me; maybe someone can help?
- If a hip is going to dislocate, can you feel it going awry? Like, I'm slowly bending or rotating, if it's going to go will it snap out or will it do a slow slide?
- Is general body stiffness/soreness a part of the process? It's not a 24/7 thing, but some days it takes a while to get moving.

So far overall this whole experience has been a blessing. I wasn't one bit nervous going into surgery, and trusted my surgeon completely to do what he thought was correct for me. Recovery was (is) pretty much trouble free. I have a good support system here at home and with this community. What a marvel it is to be able to stand in a checkout line and enjoy the headlines on the scandal rags, instead of gritting my teeth in pain. How great to plan a day out without needing to figure the best time to pop a tramadol. I really need to get a Life Is Good! tee shirt!

Thanks to all here who have shared their journeys so freely. Whether outcomes are happy or troublesome, your experiences are certain to help someone, sometime. To those awaiting or considering surgery, best wishes for wonderful outcomes. Hugs to you all!

If a hip is going to dislocate, can you feel it going awry?
A dislocation happens very quickly and you would be on the floor unable to move without help. Please don't stress about this. By now the bone growth is good and you should be fine to do most activities. Oh, except bungee jumping and parachuting.
Is general body stiffness/soreness a part of the process?
Very much so - you are still healing. Just take it slow and steady. Gradually build up any activity. And listen to that hip.

There will come a day when you don't even think about having an implant!

You know, Jaycey, that's part of what makes these darn restrictions so frustrating...my brain has registered that my leg was surgerized, but not for one second have I felt this new hip is anything but the original made pain free.
From the first, it's felt absolutely natural.
Thanks for the dislocation info. I wondered if it would give a gal a second or two to reconsider what she was doing. Guess not LOL!

(Another tip I've been wanting, but forgetting, to mention that having a smart watch has been a real comfort during all this. I got mine after a fall outdoors left me stranded while the Mr. was elsewhere on the property. Now I can call 911 or other help right from my wrist.)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013

Forum statistics

Threads