Guest viewing is limited

THR And now on the healing side...

Good tip! My husband and adult kids “threaten” me with this all the time! I have taken a couple of tumbles that precipitated the friendly threats (I have retired what I think were the offending shoes.) I just make sure I have my phone with me any time I venture out for solo walks. Then we are all happy.

I also had “ongoing” restrictions but loved my surgeon so much that I complied, to a point. As I got out a ways in my recovery, they just slowly faded away as I got stronger and more confident in my natural movements. I was also more confident in phasing them out as I read all the success stories here with much shorter restriction times. I’m very satisfied with the natural way it just seemed to resolve for me. Blessings.
 
Your OS sounds ultra conservative but I guess he's had experience with a lot of us and knows we'll push the limits if not kept in check. As you said you did trust him to do all of that to you.
As far as the dislocation part I hope I never experience it so all I can do is guess like most of us. Recently there was a member that dislocated sitting on the couch in an odd way. I know others that dislocated from a fall. From my understand the dislocation risk comes from the opening of the capsule and stretching of the tissue to get the femur dislocated and into position. So the risk of dislocation would be mostly in the direction that we were dislocated. In my case posterior so any movement or rotation that would force my femur that direction would be the risk. I don't think having the restrictions in the back of your mind is a bad thing. It has stopped me from being a little careless at times and maybe prevented a fall or 2.
Stiffness and soreness, I still get stiffness and soreness in the area especially first thing in the morning. I'd say my hips are new but the rest of me isn't so it takes a little movement to get things limbered up then it goes away.
 
Hi, fellow Hipsters!
Today is my 5 month anniversary. It's hard to believe all that time has passed especially since for weeks at a time all the clocks stopped and calendar pages stopped turning. I don't know how we skipped forward, but here we are :thumb:
So far, so good.
In the past few weeks I've been feeling normal in the best way. Not the normal of limping around in pain from a bum hip, but normal as in I feel like I'm 60 again. Yay! My new hip has been great.
My surgeon imposed lengthy restrictions, for what reasons I don't know, but they were onerous and hard to deal with. But lately I find myself doing things that break them - not intentionally, but just as movements that come naturally. I don't push limits intentionally but I'm getting there. This weekend I shoveled lots of snow and went up and down the ladder helping to remove snow from the house roof - and it was fun!
Not to gripe, but I'll mention that my un-opped side has been giving me a little trouble with some muscle issues. I'm chalking it up to what my surgeon has said - there's a lot of readjusting going on in there. My pelvis on that side was torqued for years and is cranky about getting realigned.
I've continued with OneStep and my therapist is helping me with Cranky Hip and with getting back into a place of flexibility and strength...slowly and steadily.
I hope my good experience gives others confidence and hope that their outcomes will be awesome also. This group has been invaluable to me and I appreciate each and every one here so much - you all just rock! :egypdance:
 
Happy 6 month Hipversary, dear @subie2021 :flwrysmile:

Thanks for the kudos for the forum and it is members, like yourself, who share their recoveries and support and comfort others, that made Bonesmart an invaluable tool for my recovery.
 
It is truly grand to be on the Healing Side.

I found my 6 month update Here.
All issues mostly resolved by 14-16 months.
As I near my 5 year Hipversary, I am still so grateful for this surgery and for Bonesmart.:loveshwr:
 
Great 5 month update! Shovelling snow and climbing ladders, that’s amazing.
 
Happy Five Month Anniversary!
What a wonderful update and encouragement for those following behind you on their healing journey. It’s uplifting to read what we’re capable of in a relatively short period of time after surgery. Thanks for sharing your progress and for all the support you offer here. We appreciate you!
@subie2021
 
Ladders, I'm not allowed on ladders anymore. Wife has been very serious about this:))) I will listen.... Maybe:)))
 
Hi All,
I had the six month checkup with the OS this morning. Xrays showed that everything looks good with the new hip. He was interested in what the old hip looked like so we got a view of that, too. It shows some arthritis but I'm not feeling it. The surgeon said if it acts up to come see him and we'll deal with it.
The restrictions are just about gone. The surgeon told me that they are there because they insure that the new hip is always in the safest position, and allows good healing. Now he tells me! Anyway, he said anything goes except for crossing my leg across my body's midline; and that all movement should be deliberate and slow not quick and forceful. He demo'ed how to tie shoes like a man, and how not to rise from a soft mushy sofa.
He said that at 6 months I'm still healing and asked me not to forget that. At somewhere around 9-12 months healing is complete.

I'm so happy and grateful to have had a successful surgery and an uneventful recovery. For the last few weeks I've been pain free - totally and absolutely. Walking, yardwork, shopping, driving, taking care of my animals...no pain. The other day I walked out to the lumpy bumpy pasture to curry my horse, and walked all the way around it...something I haven't been able to do without significant pain in several years. Yesterday I realized that I don't even stutter step getting up to walk or getting out of the car. I never expected this kind of relief from the constant aches and pain of pre THR. My heart sang when I stopped by my former workplace to visit, and friends remarked that I looked relaxed and happy, not drawn and stressed out.
I hope some pre op hippies see this; maybe it will give them confidence that successful outcomes are a real thing, that patience and compliance with restrictions are important to a good outcome, and that when the chronic pain they are living with now goes away, life will be sweeter than ever.
May you all be as blessed as I am. :dogwalk: :SUNsmile::horseriding:
 
The surgeon told me that they are there because they insure that the new hip is always in the safest position, and allows good healing. Now he tells me!
Haha! :heehee: That’s a well kept secret to keep you in line, only to be revealed at the proper time.:wink:
My heart sang when I stopped by my former workplace to visit, and friends remarked that I looked relaxed and happy, not drawn and stressed out
Love this! Thanks for sharing, I’m sure many will read and be encouraged by your words.

Such a wonderful update. Enjoy the rest of the week!
 
THR is definitely a life changer....so happy for you @subie2021 :loveshwr:
 
Well done! That was the goal and you certainly accomplished it. After my surgery, I remember my family doc commenting on how I looked 10 years younger. It’s incredible how that pain affects our total being. Your story is a great testament to how life changing this surgery is. Blessings for continued success!
 
Hi Everyone!
Today is my 1 year Hippieversary, and I had a good visit with my OS this morning. Everything on xray looks good, no problems with pain or discomfort, and all my restrictions have been lifted. He told me that he wants me to forget all about having had a hip replacement, but to remember that my hip has been replaced...meaning be cautious and thoughtful about quick jerky movements and to not play rugby or football.
That's load off...I wasn't all that excited about buying any cleats anyway :rotfl:
My surgeon informed me that little twinges or periods of soreness are normal, and will happen from time to time. He warned me about metal detectors at airports, events, etc. He advised me to be careful to take antibiotics before any procedure that can introduce bacteria into my bloodstream, especially dentistry. He mentioned the more recent studies that say this precaution isn't necessary, but prefers to err on the side of caution rather than take chances "for a world of hurt". I'm good with this advice, and will follow it.
I'm so grateful for my surgeon and his skill, and for the excellent results of my THR. I'm so happy to have found BoneSmart too, with all the wonderful support and good advice that's so freely shared. What great people here!
I truly wish every soon-to-be and new hippie the same fabulous outcome as I've enjoyed. :dancy::yes!::spin:
 
Happy one year anniversary!
I wonder how one "forgets" they have a new hip??? This is a question that has plagued me over last few months.
I have one friend that says she never stops thinking about her hip replacement, hope that's not me.
I had my ankle surgery 3 years ago with rods and screws and I actually don't think about that anymore so I'm guessing same will happen with hip eventually.
What was your doctor's concern about metal detectors??? I've flown twice since I had surgery and didn't have any issues getting through security but was wondering if there's some sort of adverse reaction to metal detectors???
Any celebration planned for the one year anniversary???
I'm in full agreement with you on this website, it's full of great advice and information and no judgment.
 
@myglasshalffull
I took his forget about it comment to mean I'm free to live normally and to not worry about babying the new fake hip. Really, I've never been concerned one iota about have metal parts now, or that the originals were sawed off, examined, and tossed into the hazardous waste bin. Good riddance!
As for the metal detectors, I get the sense that some of his patients worry about it and ask him for little joint replacement cards with his phone number on, to take to the airport; and he was heading off any request or concern from me.
My hobby is metal detecting, and I've already run my machine over my own butt cheek. It screams! (The machine, not my butt!). And my kid is a TSA supervisor so I kinda already knew the drill :loll:
 
Happy One year Anniversary, with wishes for many, many more!
It sounds like you had a great one year post op visit with your surgeon.
Thanks for all your contributions here. I enjoy reading your posts. :)
@subie2021
 
One Year? No way.... :dancy:

My nephew really had a large time with his metal detector and my new hips.:) :-) (:

Glad you have been here to share your advice and support.
Happy One Year!
 
Hi Hippies!
I've been AWOL for a few days. My beloved husband and best friend died yesterday after suffering a massive stroke on Sunday. It's been a rough week. He was transported to a hospital 2 1/2 hours away so I basically camped there while our kids either travelled or stayed a night at a time.
But enough boo hoo.
We have an 170 year old home, that always has something either falling off of it, or growing out of it. And two horses who are the definition of entitled.
And two large dogs. So lots of work, especially catching up with barn chores.
I am here to tell you...what a wonder this new hip is! I'm sorta out of shape, but gosh, yesterday and today I was able to put in hours of work to catch up without any pain. It's great! Before the replacement, I would have struggled with a lot of pain.
I hope anyone wondering about whether they should go through with THR will see this and have hope. And maybe new hippies who are early in recovery will see that it might take a long time, they'll heal up too.
Take care everyone! Happy healing!
 
Back
Top Bottom