TKR Amberpep's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I forgot to mention that I was reading on-line that there were some problems with the Depuy knee replacement apparatus .... don't remember what, but thought it was interesting.
a

It is easy to get alarmed when one reads about recalls and problems with these prostheses. However, there are so many models offered by each manufacturer and sometimes the recalls have to do with the associated tools and instrumentation used during the procedure and not the prosthesis itself that one has to be careful not to panic. Also, once something is out there on the internet it seems to be there forever even though a particular problem with a device may have been addressed and resolved some time ago.
 
Thank you! I have a depuy and am very happy so far! I cannot imagine having to have a revision due to a defective implant!


RTKR - 9th December, 2013
 
I just wrote a post and it has not shown up. Oh well .... will try again sometime.
abby
 
I'll be having the revision on Aug. 19. He said we won't know exactly what's wrong til he gets in there, but he's suspicious that during one of my falls I loosened it. One of my daughter is coming up the 18th and taking me to the hospital the next morning. She's just going to be sure I get inside and signed in and then she's leaving to pick up my dog and take her to VA .....my X husband is going to take care of her. So we'll see.
abby
 
Hi Abby - I am so glad you ex is taking care of your dog. My surgery has been set for September 8th. So I will be here reading your updates! Talk soon!
 
I was glad to read that you are going to get some answers and solutions. You were one of the people that helped me get through my surgeries - just be reading what you were doing and faring. I hope everything goes well and I will keep you in my thoughts.
 
Hi there Jozilla .... sounds like we're going to be about on the same schedule. I have been told a revision hurts more afterwards and takes loner to recover. I hope that's not true.
We'll have to keep close and encourage each other.
abby
 
Yes, my X husband is taking care of my dog, Molly. We've been divorced for 10 years and we get along better as friends than we did as husband and wife. I've done a lot of changing through a lot of therapy, and he sees that I believe, so there's more respect and no more mocking from him.
abby
 
I hope that your recovery is less painful and that you feel good results quickly. Xoxo
 
A friend of mine had an infection and thus needed a revision quite soon after one of her replacements. She said the hardest part was waiting to have the knee replaced again but she did not think the recovery once she had the surgery was that much harder. She is doing great and has had no problems.
 
Abby, just thought I would answer to your saying that revisions are usually more painful than other tkr's. Not always, I had tkr's on both my knees and then had a revision of my right knee, was not any more painful and recovery was about the same as the tkr's. Now we do have to remember that we are all different and every knee is different. Wishing that you have a good recovery and that your problems. will be resolved.
 
THIS IS FOR THE BUGS, ERRORS, AND TECHY QUESTIONS .... I'm putting this here because I could't locate a forum or thread for that name.
Yes, yes, I am having all sorts of trouble with the page. More often than not I can't get on at all and it tells me that "site not available, try later." Or "too many connections" ..... or it's so slow that I give up and turn it off for the day.
abby
 
Abby, the "bugs" forum is under the Help & Info tab at the top of the page. You can start a thread there for problems you are having. As you can see by the announcement at the top of the page, we're experiencing some major problems as a result of a system upgrade. Our techs are working feverishly on getting it resolved.
 
Hi everyone. My son in law tells me that this is most likely not a problem in your system, but it is a problem with my computer. I had a DELL for years, loved it, and finally wore the letters off the keys. I thought it was best I get a new one. What a mistake! My sil told me that DELL is nothing like it used to be, much more cheaply made, prone to doing erratic things (I can sure attest to that!), and really poor customer service. FRUSTRATING! That plus the fact that I use hotmail, he said this is the way it's going to be .... nothing to do about it.
So, that's what I'm dealing with. I am going to attempt to convert to G-mail, which he said would be best. In the meantime I will try to continue chatting with you all. But, if you don't get a response from me, I'm sorry, but I will be trying.
abby
 
Hi everyone (it just already wiped out those first 2 words!) ...... well, my surgery is the 19th, I will most likely leave the hospital on Friday the 22 and go to a rehab. facility. There are 2 I've visited and it depends which one has a place for me. I'm going to call PeaPod (a service of Giant Grocery Stores) to order my groceries as the steps are just killing me. I can't take Advil or Aspirin now, so I'm left with Tylenol, which really doesn't do very much. I am so ready to have this done. I think everything is in place ...... X-husband is taking my dog, one of my daughters from VA is taking me to the hospital early that morning and dropping me off, picking up my dog and taking her to my X's house, about 3 hours away, a girlfriend is taking me from the hospital to the rehab. Don't know how I'll get home yet, but we'll see.
Interestingly enough, when I had the first one done, I was not at all nervous. This time I'm already not sleeping!
I want to talk to the Anesthesiologist on the phone before the surgery, because I do not want to happen what happened last time. They had a hard time waking me up - BP stayed at 70 diastolic, and once I got to a room, I don't remember 1 thing that happened, except when they took the catheter out. Otherwise I was totally out. Weird dreams, I thought the bed was in a different place every day, and it was a dark wooden room. I don't want that again.
Better close ..... talk to you soon,
abby
 
Hi Abby @amberpep, I also went to Rehab after my RTKR and LOVED it. It was truly the plus to my quick recovery. Almost 4 weeks post op and I am walking without a walker to the end of a long driveway. Doing PT and getting the ROM but just going slow and steady. Love all the help and suggestions here. For rehab take your ear plugs, music, and a small container to hold your daily stuff. lip gloss, brush, handy wipes, lipstick, sleep mask, gum, mints.... Also I learned to crochet and did hot pads and coasters for the nurses. It was fun all the way around. Plus the week I gave to myself was priceless.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
 
Abby,
Glad to hear you have your date, it is normal to be nervous. Good you are talking to the Anesthesiologist ahead of time. They have several different ways to use, and can pick something that will work better for you.
Sounds like you have all your ducks lined up for getting to and from the hospital, and rehab.
Thanks for the update, the site is speeding up finally.
 
@amberpep

If I had followed the Dr.s directions, :heehee: I would have sailed through recovery! I must say "my evil twin likes to pop up though and make me stubborn!" :rotfl: The first three days in the hospital would have been fine if the nurse gave me my pain meds. Make sure that you write down pain meds as scheduled! Don't let a nurse play doctor and you will be fine! I will be praying for you!:angel:
 
Thank you all for your encouraging replies! You make me feel so much better! Rest Assured .... I had a similar problem as you did. When I got into rehab, the nurse was to give me 2 of the pain meds, but constantly brought me 1. I always questioned her about it and she gave me some nonsensical answer. One did nothing. Finally it got to the point where most of the day I got 1 tablet, but one time during the day I would get 2. I just wanted to go home. And, I have an "evil twin" who can be rather stubborn too ...... you're sure not alone in that department. Do you have any idea what else they can do besides sending you off to the "land of the loonies" until you leave. I hated that. I am looking forward to rehab. I'll be fed, I can read to my heart's content, take naps, meet new people ..... I probably won't have any family come, but some of my friends probably will.
abby
<*)))><
 
They did NOT send me off to the land of "loonies!" They knew I was loonie enough already, and needed my "shy" personality to brighten up the other people's days in rehab; including the nurses!:rotfl: The only trouble I had was in the actual hospital and my husband was not there at night! That was when the night nurse "thought" she could get away with murder! Well. I had kept track of my complaints about her in a notebook, and she was promptly fired to harm no one else!:idea:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom