TKR Amberpep's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad you don't have to wait much longer for your revision. Definitely a good idea to talk to your anesthesiologist ahead of time. I'm glad you will have some friends come. Wish we could but we'll be here for you online at least.
 
Don't worry Abby - you have all of us Bonesmarties with you! Sounds like you are pretty much set with the details. Great planning!
 
Hi all ..... for some reason I can't get back to the threads which I got via e-mail, and I'm sorry to both you ladies. For some strange reason I am really nervous about this one ..... why, I have no idea unless it's that the last time I don't remember anything of the 4 days I was in the hospital. I hate that ..... to lose 4 days totally is really scary. And last night I had a dream that my doctor said that once he got in there, he found that there is nothing wrong!! That I just have to live with it. I don't know why my brain is going in these weird directions, unless it's because I'm alone, won't be seeing my kids, and just feel "out there." My middle daughter will be up Monday and take me down on Tuesday and after I sign in, she's leaving, picking my dog up at my house and taking her to my X's place for however long, and she'll go home. He lives very near my daughter and her husband. My son is really ticked that she isn't staying ..... he thinks it's awful, but that's just the way it is. It wouldn't surprise me if he came, but I'll never know it.
Well, enough whining for today ..... sorry about all that. Enjoy your weekend everyone.
abby
<*)))><
 
You are almost there! I hope your surgery is much different than the last time and your recovery uneventful! We will be here when you are able to post. (((Hugs)))
 
You're almost there, Abby, @amberpep

Last-minute worries are so normal, but they'll soon be over.

I'm sorry that your daughter can't stay, but you can manage on your own - Josephine and many others have done it. Just plan ahead now, and get everything ready for when you come home with you new (hopefully improved) knee.

Best wishes! :flwrysmile::flwrysmile:
 
It should be one thing off your mind at least that your dog will be taken care of.

Oh, and could you put the date you're scheduled for your revision in your signature?
 
Hi friends .....
Well, time is getting closer ..... my revision is going to be Tuesday, Aug. 19. I'll probably leave the hospital on August 22 and go to rehab. I just don't want to have the same situation I had before .... in fact I'm trying to get ahold of whatever anesthesiologist is going to be there to tell him about it and tell him I don't want that to happen again. I was in the recovery room for a very long time - they couldn't wake me up and my BP was 70. I don't remember one thing that happened in the hospital, except when they took the catheter out, the day before I went
home. Otherwise, it was a big fat zero. I do not want that to happen again. I'm very sensitive to some medications, and I want to talk to him/her about it.
Yea, I'm nervous all right.
abby
arthroscopic meniscus - 1998
2nd arthroscopic meniscus - 2005
TKR May, 2011
Scar tissue removal June 2012
Revision August 19, 2014
 
Hi Abby,
It is normal to be nervous, I'd be worried if you were not nervous. Talking to the anesthesiologist will help calm your fears. Your last experience sounds awful and of course you do not want a repeat.
Hope you get ahold of them soon to explain your experience, and to see what other options there are for you.
Good luck, keep us posted.


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
 
Pumpkin ..... thanks so much for your kind words .... you're right .... it would be a bit odd if I wasn't nervous.
That last experience was just plain weird. I didn't tell you the rest of the crazy story ..... on the day I was to leave, a nurse with a young girl dressed in yellow (I guess a volunteer or something) somehow got me up because I had to dress to get out of there. I don't remember getting up, but I do remember I had this bright red plastic bracelet on that said, "Prone to Falling." And then she told the young girl, "don't leave her alone in here." Sometime right after the nurse left the girl tapped me on the shoulder and said in a quiet voice, "I'll be right back." Whatever. As I tried to get myself turned around to use the toilet, I fell backwards on my bum, head hit the shower wall and I landed partially on the metal bottom of the shower door. Pumpkin, I DO remember screaming like a banche'. OMG, all these people came running. I probably scared the other hospital patients half to death. I don't know if I had a roommate or not. I don't know what happened after that, but somehow I found myself at the rehab place. What a weird few days.
abby
 
What a weird few days.
Abby, I sure hope you next experience is much better than this.
Can you put your upcoming revision surgey date in your signature, easier to stay on top of your upcoming date, for me anyway. Thanks
 
DONE.....
Well, it's over ..... I'm in rehab. and doing really well. My surgeon talked to me a few days afterwards and said that the knee was very loose, and he took samples of everything. He had been testing my blood and knee fluid many times over pre-surgery and they kept coming back clean. Somehow, he just felt there was some infection in there, even though the cultures never showed it. He sent the samples taken at surgery, and had 2 infectious disease specialists look at them and low and behold ..... there was 1 "rod" which was neither growing nor moving and she thought it was most likely dead, but she did not want to take a chance, so I am on an IV antibiotic for 4 weeks - via a picc line. My surgeon also put in a knee which is infused with antibiotic to hit it with everything.
When I go home from rehab. Homecall will be coming in to take care of setting it up and infusing it for me.
So, that's it ..... I'd be going home tomorrow except it's a holiday weekend, so it will probably be Tuesday.
I'm thankful it's over and thankful for a wise surgeon who wouldn't let go of the thought that there had to be an infection.
abby
Revision 8/19/2012
 
Abby,
Great update, glad the surgery is behind you! :flwrysmile:
Grateful you have a surgeon who would not let go of there being an infection, and you are being treated.
Sounds like this experience has been much better than the last one.
Take care and keep us posted on how you are doing.:SUNsmile:
 
@amberpep

Hi Abby,

I'm so glad to see your report that all went well! :happydance::yay:

No weird loss of days and no falls this time! That's great!

I'm sorry that you have to have an IV Pic line and antibiotics, but it sounds as if your surgeon is being very careful and that's what you need.

When you're feeling up to it, please can you put your Revision date in your signature, above your TKR date? That way, it will be there in every post you make and we can all see it easily.

Keep up the good -progress. Best wishes! :flwrysmile::flwrysmile:
 
Abby, so happy to see you are over this hump. Now on to your recovery. Thank goodness for a diligent surgeon. What a peach he is!!! It sounds like he has done everything possible to ensure success for you. Now, rest, hon....and let yourself heal. And do let us know how you're doing!!! ((((HUGS))))
 
Wonderful Abby! So glad it's over and I can't wait to say the same! I am so glad you saw a specialist and can now really start to have a new life. Love and prayers to you!
 
It is wonderful to be back here with you all...... you all "get it" about knees. It's a holiday weekend, so I'll probably go home Tues., but honestly I don't care. This is an absolutely wonderful place, dear employees, and the food ...... well, I never eat this well at home.
I am so thankful for my surgeon ..... I realized how blessed I am to have him. I'd much rather "take no chances" re. this little rod that appears dead than have something flare up later on.
Thank you all for your support ..... it's good to be back.
abby
Revision 8/19/2014
 
Hi Celle ..... I don't know exactly how to do that. Just can't seem to get the hang of it.
Help?
abby
 
I am so happy to hear you are in such a great place. So many have had such bad experiences, it is nice to know there are decent places out there.
I'd much rather "take no chances" re. this little rod that appears dead than have something flare up later on.
I agree, where there is one, there can be more.
I am happy you were able to work the logistics to have your Revision.
Rest up, and be ready to go home on Tuesday!
 
Hi Celle ..... I don't know exactly how to do that. Just can't seem to get the hang of it.
Help?
abby
Mouse hover over your username at the top right of the screen. A drop down menu will appear. Click on the link to Create a Signature and your current signature will appear. Then you can edit it to add your new date and save it. :thumb:
 
Hi Celle ..... I don't know exactly how to do that. Just can't seem to get the hang of it.
Help?
abby

Go to the top, right-hand side of the page. See your name? Click on it and a drop-down list will appear. Second item on the left side of the list is "Signature". Click on (select) that and you will be taken to a page where you can modify your signature. Then, you can add your latest surgery and date. Don't forget to Save Changes.

I hope that helps!

Ah, I see that Jamie beat me to it!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom