Guest viewing is limited

THR Am I dreaming? Not anymore!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. But if you see the timeline I talked about, they were only going to give me pain meds for less than three weeks. I take my pain meds every 4 to 4 half hours. I take 2 Norco and 1 Tramadol. I no longer need them in the middle of the night so there is approx 7 to 9 hours between my pm and my am dosage. But they didn't know that or even ask me if I slept thru the night. That's how I knew they were only giving me 5 days worth (40 pills). Of course it will last me little longer.
 
I'm not sure what that means. As far as my GP, I don't believe she would go against my OS. I guess I can try.
 
So I have some great news. I drove for the first time today, day 16. I didn't take any pain meds for 5 hours in anticipation of possible driving. I only drove around the block and it didn't hurt at all. I practised going back and forth between peddles and I had no problem putting hard on the brake pedal. Don't worry, I don't plan on driving outside my neighborhood for some time.

It took me an hour to just get ready to drive. After exercising, dressing to go outside, getting in and out of the car, driving, and then getting back into the house, I was totally drained. I have hope now that maybe I WILL go back to work in 4 weeks. I figure since my Dr is already trying to take me off pain meds, I might as well work toward it. I did have an energy drain and felt a little dizzy afterwards, so I'm going to stay down for the rest of the day. I am listening to my body and stop when. I need to stop. But it has given me hope that I'm not dreaming.
 
Awesome news!! :yahoo: Yay you!! I hope to get my "license to drive" at my appointment on the 9th. I have had a few days where I have a ton of energy and strength and then a day my body says NOPE. So...I am trying to be patient. Sounds like you are being patient too. Well done!
 
@cj19mann. Its funny that you say that, cause boy do I have my off days. Some days I can't seem to do anything. It's not because I'm hurting either. It's like I'm slammed with a dish of pure laziness. No matter how much I lay there and tell myself I should be doing something, even my exercises, I just lay there anyway. Is it like that for you or is because of pain?
 
Exactly the same!! Pain is only mild at this point...not even taking any meds now except Aspirin required for blood thinning.
 
Well done you! I admire your tenacity. However, I do have a few cautionary notes for you ....
I didn't take any pain meds for 5 hours in anticipation of possible driving. I figure since my Dr is already trying to take me off pain meds, I might as well work toward it
If you are going to clear your system of meds, 5 hours won't do it, it needs to be 24hrs.
After exercising, dressing to go outside, getting in and out of the car, driving, and then getting back into the house, I was totally drained.
Some days I can't seem to do anything. It's not because I'm hurting either. It's like I'm slammed with a dish of pure laziness.
I did have an energy drain and felt a little dizzy afterwards, so I'm going to stay down for the rest of the day.
You really have to understand and accept the Energy drain more. This isn't something you can choose to do or not do. You really are prey to it and I don't recommend you driving while it's in full force which it is at 3-4 weeks. It will also be at 6 and 8 weeks as well. As for the pain meds, if your pain levels are low, you could easily manage with 1,000mg Tylenol 4 times a day. It's not always necessary to take prescription meds. Do read the preface of this article Phased return to work - this is all going to factor in whether or not you can get back to work and very often people completely forget this aspect of it.
 
@Josephine.
Thanks Josephine for all this info. I had read over the energy drain post before but this time I read it slowly and allowed myself to really take in the meaning of it. I do understand and will keep it in mind always. One of the reasons I drove only in my neighborhood is that I could pull over anywhere and if it was too much for me, I knew I could get a ride back home. I had to see what I could do. A far as the pain meds, I'm not quite ready to go off scripts yet but I am cutting down. I'm trying to go 5 to 6 hours between and I cut down to one Norco and one Tramadol. I'm hoping within a day or two I will just be taking the Tramadol. Then maybe I can use just the Tramadol at night and regular Tylenol during the day. I knew it took longer than 5 hours to get narcotics out of the system, but what about the effects they cause? Like dizziness, drowsiness, thought fuzziness, coordination, etc. It seemed to me that it would be pretty much gone within 5 to 6 hours. Your thoughts please.
 
One of the reasons I drove only in my neighborhood is that I could pull over anywhere and if it was too much for me, I knew I could get a ride back home. I had to see what I could do
Yes, I perfectly understood what you did and why. And that was an excellent trial.
I knew it took longer than 5 hours to get narcotics out of the system, but what about the effects they cause? Like dizziness, drowsiness, thought fuzziness, coordination, etc. It seemed to me that it would be pretty much gone within 5 to 6 hours.
Well, IF you are prey to them, the same would apply. However, I never found they affected me that way and I know a number of people who go to work on 50mgs Tramadol a couple of times a day but they do office jobs and such.
 
@Josephine
They really don't affect me that way, but saying it was the only way I could express my meaning in the question, which I'm still not sure was answered. I just wondered if waiting that long would qualify not driving under the influence. Thank you for all your responses. I count on your knowledge to lead me the right way. I don't feel I can get it from anyone here.
 
I just wondered if waiting that long would qualify not driving under the influence.
So sorry, I meant to - just forgot! It's like this - in the same way that if one imbibes in an alcoholic beverage, a breathalyser or blood test would show you as 'under the influence' up to 24hrs later, the same is to be said of drugs.
 
Hi all. Its been a few weeks since I've posted so I thought I'd update. It will be 6 weeks on Thursday and I'm starting back to work today. People who have followed me knows I was a little freaked out about not being able to go back to work at 4 weeks. My hip would have let me but the energy drain kicked my butte. Still is. I'll only be working part time for a few weeks, less than 20 hours a week. Good news is that my company will let me pay a lower lease rate. My church helped me with my rent and utilities and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to cover the rest. So God came through for me again. He's still got my back. Hope this finds all of you well. I'm going to my 6 week post op on Wednesday. I'm pretty sure it's going to be awesome. I would love to hear from you and especially any new hippies who may have questions.
 
Good news is that my company will let me pay a lower lease rate. My church helped me with my rent and utilities and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to cover the rest. So God came through for me again. He's still got my back.
What a fantastic result for you @Midchild54 ! I am so happy for you. Please do report on your followup appointment.
 
Awesome post!! So encouraging and loved hearing about how you were blessed by your church!! That is showing God's love for sure - helping those in need! I hope your transition back to work is smooth!
 
Well my six week post op did very well. I finally got to actually see my Dr instead of one of his assistants. He said everything looks really good. He loosened up on my restrictions but I still have to be careful in low seats. He said my incision looks good. Its still a little lumpy and it will smooth out over time. The question I have for @Josephine is that my incision started hurting some and I noticed last night that part of it is really red as well as being hot. There is absolutely no openings. Is there any chance of infection still? I don't know if I should be concerned or not.
 
It's more likely you've just been sitting on it a bit more than usual.
Try using ice on it and take some Tylenol (1,000mg 3-4 times per 24hrs)
 
Hi, @Midchild54 ..... just checking on you. How are things going wih your hip?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom