Guest viewing is limited

THR Am I dreaming? Not anymore!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Jamie, thanks for asking. My new is doing very well. Almost as good as before my pain started. I only have a few restrictions left but I'm hopeful they will be lifted on March 2 at my 3 month checkup. I do have a question about my other hip that's just come up in the last week. I wasn't having any problems at all with my left hip, even though my OS said it was almost as bad as my right. In the last week, I've been getting some pretty bad pain in my left hip, sometimes bad enough that. I can't put any weight on it for a bit. My question is that the pain is located in a completely different area of my hip. When my right hip was going out, it was located in the groin area only. This pain is located front and side of my hip. I was kind of hoping it was just residual or tendon pain or something caused by the healing of my right hip. Is it possible that the pain can be located there instead of groin area if that left hip is going bad? I know I need to tag @Josephine for an explanation but was hoping for anything you could add. Thanks, be Blessed
 
I think I may be able to put a name to this but just to be sure, can you tell me the exact site of your pain using this chart?

Please note the instructions in the smaller image

[Bonesmart.org] Am I dreaming? Not anymore!


[Bonesmart.org] Am I dreaming? Not anymore!
 
Jo will be able to advise you once you have indicated chart numbers/letters where the pain is located.
 
@Josephine CR2F is exactly right where the pain is at with it radiating some in both directions along the crease of the leg. It does seem to be getting progressively worse in that it's hurting while sitting when leg is moved wrong. I look forward to your ideas about this. Its definitely got me worried.
 
But you said the pain is located front and side of your hip. You've only indicated a centre point. Can you clarify?
 
@Josephine I'm not sure how to explain it. It is a sharp pain that is located in the center of CR2F. I guess when I said the side of my hip, I was trying to explain how far away from the groin area it is. So it is just the front, right where CR2F is located. Sorry for the confusion. It hurts the most after I've been on my feet for awhile and especially after doing some bending and lifting. I'll stand from a sitting position or get out of my car and have to move slow and carefully for the first few steps before I can move more freely, sometimes it lessens, sometimes it don't. I don't seem to be having any pain like that in the morning when I get out of bed and start the day. Its mostly after I've been up and about for several hours. Hope this explains it better.
 
Indeed it does. I would imagine that what you have is Iliopsoas syndrome
I suggest you follow some of the stretches in the article - not all of them! Just one or two you can accomplish relatively easily.

I'm also like to ask you what kind of PT exercises and exercises at home are you doing now?
How much and how often? (and detailed details would be appreciated, please! **Reps, sets and sessions** and all that)

** If you're not familiar with this, it goes like so:
1 lift of your leg = 1 rep (repetition)
5 reps and then a brief rest = 1 set
5 sets and finishing = 1 session.
 
@Josephine That's an easy one. None. I wasn't given any PT at all and by nature I'm fairly lazy when it comes to exercising. I'm about 25 lbs overweight and not in the best of shape. I do stretches in the morning but that's about it. It's hard to be active when so many parts of me hurt; mostly back, feet, and now my left hip. I know exercises would probably help some of those pains but getting into a habit or even starting is daunting to say the least.
 
Ah, a girl after my own heart! Think you can get to - or afford - a chiropractor? I know I'm always banging on about chiropractic treatment but, given you find a good one, it really is the bee's knees!
 
@Josephine I just need to make an appointment. I've been under chiropractic care for 25 years. I have a really good one now for the last 7 years. He got me to every 3 mths instead of monthly. I probably need some regular twice a month adjustments to get me back on track. I'll talk to him and see what he says. I appreciate you and all you do. I have my doubts about the syndrome you mentioned because the pain is sharp not aching and it seems to be in the joint, not muscles. I will start doing some of the stretches and such to see if it helps. Be Blessed
 
Could you please change your signature to reflect that you have had a RTHR done? I think it would make things more clear when you talk about your hips. As I'm understanding it, your new right hip is just fine and your pain is in your left (unoperated, but also arthritic) hip. At least that's what you indicated in your post to me. But when you identified the area of pain on Jo's chart, you talked about the right (operated) hip.

Can you clarify this please? It may make a difference in the advice Jo has for you. Just because your pain in your unoperated hip is different from what you experienced pre-THR, that doesn't mean you don't have hip problems that may indicate the need for it to be replaced.
 
@Josephine @Jamie I didn't realize till just now what the R in the R2F stood for. I was just trying to pinpoint the location. You are correct. The pain is in the L2F (unoperated arthritic hip). Since I last posted, the pain moved around to the side as well. I was becoming convinced of the syndrome in the muscles that Josephine mentioned. When I tried a few of the stretches my body could do, I didn't feel any kind of stretch but just knew it had to be in the muscles. I was wrong. I had to make an emergency appoint with my OS a week before scheduled because the pain got so severe at times it brought me to tears. I was hoping a cortisone shot and maybe some PT should take care of it. He told me it probably was my hip, although he raised his eyebrows when I tried to explain where the pain was. He said he was sure it wasn't in the muscles so PT would do me no good. My x-ray looked ok but so did the one on my right hip until he got the MRI results. So he's ordering an MRI of my left hip. If it's not real bad, he may try a cortisone shot.

I'm feeling a bit depressed because I just started getting my energy back. I was pain free for only about four weeks before my left hip started in and it is way more painful than my right hip was before surgery. Its also really annoying because I wasn't having any problems with my left before then, NONE. The realization that I might be facing another surgery so soon, that there is little chance of me saving enough money to be off work another 6 weeks, and trying to get through the pain enough to enjoy my daughter's wedding in June; it's all a little too much. Thanks for being there. This is probably the longest comment I've ever wrote, but it's good to get it off my chest with people who understand my frustration. Who knows, maybe the MRI will show something different that can be fixed less invasive.
 
@Midchild54 I am there with you in frustration!! My "good hip" has been hurting for the last 3 weeks...by the end of the day I am limping :( I am going to need to try a steroid injection soon if this keeps up! Like you said, I was just getting into the rhythm of enjoying no pain on the replacement side!! I really need to make it until Jan of 2016 so my fmla will reset, as I carry the insurance for my family of 5...so I am really hoping I can get this flare up to chill!
 
@cj19mann I am so happy to here from you! I've been wondering how you've been doing, especially since your surgery was within a few days of mine. What's up with this? I wonder if more people have had the same issue? I am curious as to where on your hip are you hurting. Is it the same as the first one. Mine is located in a totally different area but is much more incapacitating. This morning I woke with so much pain that I couldn't walk without my cane. To top it off, I'm getting bad stomachaches and nagging headaches from the oral cortisone pills I was prescribed. I do think they're helping cause I was able to do more yesterday. That's probably why I hurt so bad this morning. Thank God it's Saturday as my schedule is more relaxed at work. But here it is 2 hours after I should have already been working and I'm still not out yet. But after icing and a hot shower, I can walk without my cane.

Because it's getting so severe so fast, I can't even work my regular hours little own extra to try to save up to pay bills for another surgery. I'm really getting scared. I don't understand what's happening. I am so hoping you will be ok. That this is nothing serious. If you haven't already, look at the post from Jo about the syndrome on the muscles in your hip, may be a possibility. Hope to here from you again. Di
 
I'm almost positive my issue is in the joint...unfortunately... Pain is at DR3F. It is mild in the morning after resting, then gets worse directly in relation to my activity for the day. Definitely worse on my work days - I am a nurse and on my feet almost constantly for 10-12hrs. My pain is not as bad as my other hip pre-op yet, but what disturbs me is that is has increased in pain so quickly. I am sorry to hear you are again dependent on a cane! What a setback!
When do you go for your MRI? Surely that will have some answers for you and your OS!! Hang in there!
 
@cj19mann The good news is that I don't need my cane all the time, just when I move wrong or irritate in some way. Still not sure what does and doesn't make it worse. I actually walk fairly normal half the time as long as I take small steps. Going up stairs is still tricky most of the time. I too am disturbed at how fast and how severe my pain became. I can't schedule the MRI till my insurance approves it. Hopefully I'll know what's going on for sure in a couple weeks. I think there's still a chance I won't need surgery in the near future if it can be fixed another way. My pain is not in the groin area at all. I really feel for you though. It would be impossible for me to work if I was on my feet all day like you. I don't know how you do it. Please keep me posted on this part of your journey and I will do th same.
 
@cj19mann, I tried to send you a private message but it said it couldn't find you. I just wanted to let you know that I have started a new pre op labeled Too soon, too fast.
 
Hey!! That is strange... I am still here! I was actually about to either add to my old recovery or start a new "****, the other hip sucks too" thread! Had an appt with an injection Dr (not my surgeon but in the same group) because I am not ready to throw in the towel yet on the right side... I am scheduled for an injection next Friday. If that doesn't help me out of the everyday pain and limiting my activity rut I am in right now, I will just go ahead and be done with it... I'll go read yours and catch up with where you are!
 
Sorry to butt in but im the same know the other one needs done but................. I know each day by pain breaking thru pain meds im taking because of other issues. Hope its not worrying you tooo much. Keep smiling

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom